PDA

View Full Version : the 15-yard unsportsman-like penalty on Wofford

woffordgrad94
November 22nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Someone PLEASE tell what in God's name that call was all about. First of all, I didn't see anyone one the Terriers do ANYTHING that really and truly warranted a penalty there. Second of all, isn't the first sideline infraction supposed to be a WARNING and the second one a penalty. That call was complete bulljunk! As it turned out, that call did not end up costing us, but it could have ended up being a momentum-shifter and could have ultimately cost the team and Wofford fans alike a playoff invitation! These are 18-22 year-old kids playing for a chance to compete for a national championship for goodness sake. Of course they're going to get excited when a big play is made! The refs had NO BUSINESS making that call, and I say shame on them!

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
It was just the fact that Furman was playing, it seems that the refs always look and see if they are on the field then decide "we have to make bad calls for both teams"

appstate1998
November 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
didn't see it so I can't comment on it, but warnings are not always issued out loud to the crowd, and they could have already been warned. Also, in my opinion games should be called the same, whether its the first play of the first game of the season or the last play of the championship game.

But like I said, didn't see it so can't make a fair comment on that play.

CSUBUCDAD
November 22nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Relax, you kicked their ass. Good show by the Pups today.

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
I believe they changed the rule so that they no longer have to issue a warning. they can penalize on the first infraction.

But I guess it depends on what kind of infraction it is.

blitz4
November 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
One of the coaches were out of the box. He was standing near the 20 yard line calling a defensive play.

It was obviously a way to try and keep furman in the game. However it was a 4th down stand for Wofford!!!!!

woffordgrad94
November 22nd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Oh, I was watching the players, not the coaches, so I saw absolutely nothing.

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
One of the coaches were out of the box. He was standing near the 20 yard line calling a defensive play.

It was obviously a way to try and keep furman in the game. However it was a 4th down stand for Wofford!!!!!

Rule 9-1 (page reference FR-121)

Game Administration Interference
ARTICLE 6. While the ball is in play, coaches, substitutes and authorized attendants in the team area may not be between the sideline and coaching line or on the field of play.

PENALTY—Administer as a dead-ball foul.
First and second infractions: Delay of game for sideline interference, five yards from the succeeding spot [S21 and S29].
Third and subsequent infractions: Unsportsmanlike conduct for sideline interference, 15 yards from the succeeding spot [S27 and S29].

LarryBoy
November 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
The officiating today was once again atrocious. When these refs throw flags for just about nothing (offsides, holding, pass interferences), I was really surprised to see them throw one there for that one.

LarryBoy
November 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
And the whole "keep Furman in the game sentiment"...I think you'd find a lot of purple people today who felt the refs were doing everything they could to keep us out of it. Not saying the game was called one way or the other but MAN was the Wofford O-line holding today. One time a blocker nearly tore a Paladin jersey off, right in front of the ref. He had the sack, but instead WC gets off a 40-yard pass.

But you guys obviously were the better team regardless.

T-Dogg
November 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
The sideline ref ran into Woody as he was going down the line. Penalty first and no warning this year!

I hope Furman gets back on their feet!