PDA

View Full Version : Central Arkansas Commits to 63 Scholarships

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2005, 11:04 AM
The folks that follow the Univ of Central Arkansas are stating that they are going to go for the full transition, up to the 63 scholarships next year as they move up to I-AA from Div II. Apparently, this announcement was made at the Little Rock Touchdown Club meeting two weeks ago.

The thought around Conway, AR seems to be that they are going to recruit some more JUCOs and get transfers to get instant help and fill those scholarships, so they don't have this huge freshman class that throws off things down the road. They're also going to increase the aid to folks that deserve it.

I think this UCA team will be competitive and would not be the least surprised if they won some of those SLC games (non-conference) that they'll play as a I-AA independent next year. Very interested to see who they play outside of those SLC games. I'd assume a Div II game or two, perhaps...

th0m
November 14th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Maybe JMU can schedule them, we need a home game or two :p

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Here's UCA's schedule thus far...

TxSt (location TBA)
Nich (location TBA)
NW St (location TBA)
Missouri St

vs Tenn-Martin (Little Rock)
at Missouri St
Complete SLC slate (seven games)

Hansel
November 14th, 2005, 11:19 AM
I am pretty sure a team can only add 20 scholarships a year to male and female athletic teams (40 total). In FB we went from 36-53.5-63, and fully funded MBB along with some women's sports our first year of transition

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2005, 11:23 AM
See, the thing with UCA is that mens' soccer is Div II and have no place in the SLC (no sponsoring of mens' soccer). Does UCA drop mens' soccer? Or what? That plays into any scholarship talk in Conway...

TxSt02
November 14th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Here's UCA's schedule thus far...

TxSt (location TBA)
Nich (location TBA)
NW St (location TBA)
Missouri St

vs Tenn-Martin (Little Rock)
at Missouri St
Complete SLC slate (seven games)

uca at home on 9-16....