PDA

View Full Version : UMass-Army images are up

Umass74
November 14th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I have about 25 images from the UMass-Army game up on my UMass Football Blog.

The images are here (http://umass74.blogspot.com/) (scroll)

Click on any image for a larger view

It was great to see a game at Michie Stadium on a beautiful fall day. College football is the best. :)

A couple of the images show how close the fans are to the acton. The noise was the loudest I've heard at a game.

LacesOut
November 14th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Great pics! Thanks.

Sweet stadium. Never seen it before.

Best pic is the one of the Hudson.

Umass74
November 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM
One other thing. During the pre-game performance, the Army Band faced the visiting stands and played the UMass theme "Fight UMass"

Very classy. The UMass band responded with "The Caissons go rolling Along".

It was a wonderful experence for this veteran. If your team ever plays at Army, grab your S.O. and tell her/him "We're going. Not an option"

Hamptongal
November 14th, 2005, 10:23 AM
One other thing. During the pre-game performance, the Army Band faced the visiting stands and played the UMass theme "Fight UMass"

Very classy. The UMass band responded with "The Caissons go rolling Along".

It was a wonderful experence for this veteran. If your team ever plays at Army, grab your S.O. and tell her/him "We're going. Not an option"

So purty, I miss it...Just Kidding! But, for a visit it is a beautiful school.

89Hen
November 14th, 2005, 10:50 AM
I would love to take in a game there. I've always enjoyed UD's trips to Annapolis and I'd have to imagine Westpoint has the same feel. How far is it from UMass and how many Minutemen fans were there?

Umass74
November 14th, 2005, 11:15 AM
I would love to take in a game there. I've always enjoyed UD's trips to Annapolis and I'd have to imagine Westpoint has the same feel. How far is it from UMass and how many Minutemen fans were there?

It's about three hours from UMass, interstate all the way. About 4:15 from my home in New Hampshire.

VERY good turnout for UMass fans. One of the posters on the Army board said we making a lot of noise when UMass tied the game late in the fourth quarter.

We stayed with them all the way. Our freshman QB after playing so well in the last three games looked rattled by the noise. To give Army its props, they are very quick on defense. The UMass runners were trying to make cuts and that was not working. We had to bang it in there and take what we could get. No time for cuts against Army. They were THERE in a heartbeat.

We could throw on Army and the UMass defense was very competative against the Army offense.

I can't complain. There were at least four lead changes and it was fun to watch.

One thing for other I-AA fans, leave early. Because of security checks, it takes a long time to get into the stadium.

Maroon&White
November 14th, 2005, 11:46 AM
We stayed with them all the way. Our freshman QB after playing so well in the last three games looked rattled by the noise. To give Army its props, they are very quick on defense. The UMass runners were trying to make cuts and that was not working. We had to bang it in there and take what we could get. No time for cuts against Army. They were THERE in a heartbeat.

We could throw on Army and the UMass defense was very competative against the Army offense.

I can't complain. There were at least four lead changes and it was fun to watch.

I would have to disagree on a few things. Coen himself didn't look too rattled by the noise, the OL certainly did though. There were probably 3 or 4 false starts by the UMass OL and in the last drive Miller snapped the ball when nobody expected it. Don't recall Coen being too rattled, but since he's the QB he'll get scrutinized more then anyone on the field.

Also would have to disagree with the ability of UMass to throw on Army. I know UMass had 213 yards passing, but the leading reciever (receptions) was Baylark, which says a lot. Except for when Army was playing it safe and not allowing long passes at the end of half and game, most of the UMass passes were very short and the yards were earned after the catch. Their DB's were really limiting Coen of big throws and he did get intercepted 3 times.

Definitely agree that Army was very quick on D. That and their DL manhandled the UMass OL gave Baylark little chance of running. Given how bad the UMass rushing is, I can see why you said UMass could pass on them.

Game was definitely enjoyable though. Would have loved a win, but didn't mind losing to Army given how great of a game it was and the atmosphere. :)

Spider1976
November 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM
It had been a lifelong dream of mine to attend a game at West Point. n Oct. 8, I got that opportunity. Too bad it rained 10 inches that day, that definitely put a damper on the experience.

I'd love to go back in late September/early October, when the leaves are turning, but on a nice day!

Hamptongal
November 15th, 2005, 12:00 PM
It's about three hours from UMass, interstate all the way. About 4:15 from my home in New Hampshire.

VERY good turnout for UMass fans. One of the posters on the Army board said we making a lot of noise when UMass tied the game late in the fourth quarter.

One thing for other I-AA fans, leave early. Because of security checks, it takes a long time to get into the stadium.
UMass was loud, I could hear them when i was watching the game on the webcast. I was surprised at how loud they were!

Umass74
November 15th, 2005, 03:41 PM
We were loud. However, it helps with a 300+ member band backing you up :)

I was reading another thread about some rowdy behavior at JMU. There was NO rowdy stuff at West Point. Lots of Military Police with M16A3's with the MAGAZINES IN. :o

Umass74
November 15th, 2005, 03:53 PM
It had been a lifelong dream of mine to attend a game at West Point. n Oct. 8, I got that opportunity. Too bad it rained 10 inches that day, that definitely put a damper on the experience.

I'd love to go back in late September/early October, when the leaves are turning, but on a nice day!

spider1976:

You have to try again. I've followed UMass to BC, Kansas State, NC State etc., but West Point was the best place to watch a game.

I helped that it was shirtsleeve weather in November. Don't know what that was about, but I'll take it.