PDA

View Full Version : co-champs

clenz
November 20th, 2008, 09:08 PM
The SIU/UNI debate here got me wondering how the conferences handle it if there is a co-champion. It appears that each conference has it's own rules.

What are the rules of each conference. Is there a site that lists all of them?

Or even a site that lists a complete history of conference champions?

BEAR
November 20th, 2008, 09:36 PM
In the case of a tie in the Southland Conference, the team with the best recipe for Gumbo usually gets the trophy..xwhistlex (i.e. McNeese has won it several years in a row using this method) xnodx xlolx

JayJ79
November 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
My guess is that any conference that doesn't have an official "conference championship game" (which the only FCS conference that has one of those is the SWAC, I believe) will name "co-champions" if two or more teams end the year with identical conference records.

But I'd imagine that there are different tiebreaker rules for determining the automatic bid for the 8 autobid conferences.

YaleFootballFan
November 20th, 2008, 09:57 PM
There is no tie breaker in the Ivy, hence we have co-champions. This year for the first time ever we could have a four-way tie for first place if Brown and Harvard loses and Penn wins on Saturday.

brownbear
November 20th, 2008, 09:57 PM
The Ivy League has co-champs, no tiebreakers. I believe the trophy goes to whoever won the head-to-head between the two.

If Brown and Harvard both win this Saturday, we'll have co-champs, and if Brown and Harvard both lose, we could have a four-way tie for first, which has never happened before.

Hopefully Brown and Yale can win and make it pretty simple.

brownbear
November 20th, 2008, 09:58 PM
There is no tie breaker in the Ivy, hence we have co-champions. This year for the first time ever we could have a four-way tie for first place if Brown and Harvard loses and Penn wins on Saturday.

Beat me to it.

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2008, 09:59 PM
The SIU/UNI debate here got me wondering how the conferences handle it if there is a co-champion. It appears that each conference has it's own rules.

What are the rules of each conference. Is there a site that lists all of them?

Or even a site that lists a complete history of conference champions?

Usually most conferences will list all of the co-champions as champion for that season. The tie-breakers are used for AQ purposes.

ValleyChamp
November 20th, 2008, 10:02 PM
UNI is so dominant in the Valley, that even when SIU wins the Valley, UNI gets a trophy. hehe.

JayJ79
November 20th, 2008, 10:37 PM
UNI is so dominant in the Valley, that even when SIU wins the Valley, UNI gets a trophy. hehe.

UNI has won or shared the Gateway/MVFC title 14 of the 24 seasons that the league has sponsored football. (58.3%)

I'm not sure there are any FCS schools that can claim that many conference championships in the past 24 years. Though Montana could possibly tie that mark, but only if Weber loses and Montana wins this weekend. (Montana has 13 Big Sky titles since 1985)

th0m
November 21st, 2008, 01:48 AM
Usually most conferences will list all of the co-champions as champion for that season. The tie-breakers are used for AQ purposes.

I think that is indeed how it works for the CAA. But no worries, no tiebreaker in the CAA this year xsmiley_wix

charliej
November 21st, 2008, 05:44 AM
I think that is indeed how it works for the CAA. But no worries, no tiebreaker in the CAA this year xsmiley_wix

Which is fairly rare. I think the tiebreakers are head to head,common opponents then a coin toss as a last resort.

th0m
November 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM
Indeed. These are the criteria:

1. Head-to-head competition.
2. Division winning percentage.
3. Record versus the highest-placed teams in the division and proceeding down.
4. Record versus the highest placed common opponents in the opposite division and proceeding down.
5. Number of conference road wins.
6. Coin Toss.

CSUBUCDAD
November 21st, 2008, 06:57 AM
Big South goes by conference record. That is why Coastal and CSU were co champs in 2005 even though we be them in the final game of the year.