PDA

View Full Version : Final Walter Payton Watch List Announced

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Four candidates added to final Payton Watch list

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Four new candidates have been added to the final Walter Payton Award watch list - running back William Ford of South Carolina State, wide receiver John Matthews of San Diego, quarterback Chris Pizzotti of Harvard and running back-return man Larry Warner of Southern Illinois.

That quartet, which joins 12 other players already on the list, will be among the 16 players who will be on the official ballot distributed to voters next week. The three finalists for the Payton Award will be announced on Dec. 1.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/payton/payton08.aspx

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Little surprised there is no R.J. Toman on this list. 25 TD/7 INT.

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM

I think he, Bryant Lee, and a few others will be on there for sure next year. Who would you take off and put Toman ahead of? This is a really good list due to a very talented group of offensive stars in the FCS this year.

GannonFan
November 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Eh, Flacco wasn't on the list last year so he's in good company.

Doesn't matter much, Edwards should win in a walk this year with his numbers. xthumbsupx

Silenoz
November 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Still no Dally

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I'm not gonna go look it up, but the stats on that page don't look right, or even close to me.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Well, I'd feeling comfortable removing Pizzotti for Dally, that's for sure. While Toman's been good, he hasn't been in that class. Also, without a doubt Toman's been better than Bomar this season, particularly considering quality of conference.

malibudude
November 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM
What could be the issue with putting Dally on the list? He manages that offense and is the top rated QB in FCS and it's not like he has a shot next year. He is a great FCS QB.

Mustang Man
November 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Happy to see Dally wasn't added. Best kept Cal Poly secret. xrolleyesx

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM
To me it's pretty bad that McNeese's Toderick Pendland isn't on this list given some of the players that are. Take William Ford from South Carolina State, for example.

Pendland is 6th in FCS rushing at 132.1 yards per game. Ford is 14th at 111.0. Pendland has averaged 6.54 yards per carry. Ford has averaged 6.11.

Pendland, an excellent reciever out of the backfield, is also ranked 5th in all purpose yards at 180. Ford is ranked 53rd at 118.36.

I'm not saying Pendland ought to win it, but he ought to be in the conversation. Take comparing him to Western Illinois running back Herb Donaldson, for instance. Donaldson is #1 in FCS rushing at 154.9 yards per game to Pendland's 132.1. But Pendland has averaged 6.54 yards per carry to Donaldon's 5.45. And Pendlan is up on Donaldon in all purpose yards by 180 to 162.5. And he averages 7.35 yards per touch to Donaldson's 5.47.

So what's the justification for having Donaldson or Ford on the list but not having Pendland? I'm not seeing it.

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2008, 07:05 PM
To me it's pretty bad that McNeese's Toderick Pendland isn't on this list given some of the players that are. Take William Ford from South Carolina State, for example.

Pendland is 6th in FCS rushing at 132.1 yards per game. Ford is 14th at 111.0. Pendland has averaged 6.54 yards per carry. Ford has averaged 6.11.

Pendland, an excellent reciever out of the backfield, is also ranked 5th in all purpose yards at 180. Ford is ranked 53rd at 118.36.

I'm not saying Pendland ought to win it, but he ought to be in the conversation. Take comparing him to Western Illinois running back Herb Donaldson, for instance. Donaldson is #1 in FCS rushing at 154.9 yards per game to Pendland's 132.1. But Pendland has averaged 6.54 yards per carry to Donaldon's 5.45. And Pendlan is up on Donaldon in all purpose yards by 180 to 162.5. And he averages 7.35 yards per touch to Donaldson's 5.47.

So what's the justification for having Donaldson or Ford on the list but not having Pendland? I'm not seeing it.

xrolleyesx

patssle
November 20th, 2008, 07:10 PM
xrolleyesx

He has a point. So instead of xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx prove him wrong.

BearGibson
November 20th, 2008, 07:17 PM
If ASU wins the championship again, Armanti wins. No question about it.

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM

More of the same...no one from the MEAC is any good, so they shouldn't get any dap whatsoever. Theres nothing to argue to change his, and most of AGS's perception of "how bad the MEAC is" that I shouldn't even waste my breath or energy commenting on it.

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM

After reading your argument again, you do have a point that he should be on the list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=185993

the only thing that I could see is that it might be a case of the team that he's playing on. (non-playoff) but even that would be a stretch

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
What could be the issue with putting Dally on the list? He manages that offense and is the top rated QB in FCS and it's not like he has a shot next year. He is a great FCS QB.

The reason is because putting him on would hurt Barden and vice versa in voting. You only want one player from your team on the list or else it hurts them both in voting. Dally deserves to be there but Barden does as well and would bring in more votes because of better name recognition.

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
The reason is because putting him on would hurt Barden and vice versa in voting. You only want one player from your team on the list or else it hurts them both in voting. Dally deserves to be there but Barden does as well and would bring in more votes because of better name recognition.

In other words...politics

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
If ASU wins the championship again, Armanti wins. No question about it.

Voting takes place next week, a few weeks before the title game. Winning the NC has no bearing on who wins the award. Does it really matter who is on the list? I think we all know AE will win the award. In the words of Nelly 1 is the winner and 2 nobody remembers. The only thing people will remember years from now is who won and this year's winners should be AE and Peach for the top 2 awards.

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM
In other words...politics

If anyone on here does not think politics somewhat play into the voting they are fooling themselves. You don't think Ford was put on over Pendland because it looks nice to have a MEAC player on the list??? TSN has always tried to be fair and give equal representation on these lists. As I said before, does it really matter as we all know AE is going to win and should because he is the best player in the nation. He has won more NCs, national tv games, and broken more school records than any other player on the list or any player that wants to be on the list.

Congrats to those on the list and those underclassmen not on it will get their chance next year! xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Nice to see Chris Pizzotti get some recognition. He's had a great career at Harvard. Give him time, and he'll pick you apart.

BEAR
November 20th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Quarterback Nathan Brown of Central Arkansas..I wonder if the game on Saturday will have to speak for him...or against him...xreadx

Boots Harvey
November 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Armanti. Period.

skinny_uncle
November 20th, 2008, 09:57 PM
It's nice to see Larry "Lightning" finally make the list.
1123 yards rushing
165 yards receiving
645 return yards
Plus three kick returns for TDs

smcwildcat
November 20th, 2008, 10:20 PM
where in GODS name is toman?..... 25-7 td ratio comonnn

Shellin
November 20th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I don't actually think Bergquist should be on the list, but for those throwing out Toman's name and TD-INT ratio Cole has 23-5...just goes to show there are quite a few players having great seasons in the FCS this year when players with stats like these are left off the list.

gbhmt
November 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM
It's nice to see Larry "Lightning" finally make the list.
1123 yards rushing
165 yards receiving
645 return yards
Plus three kick returns for TDs

Wow. That's impressive. Why haven't I heard of this guy.xthumbsupx

GATA
November 21st, 2008, 12:10 AM
More of the same...no one from the MEAC is any good, so they shouldn't get any dap whatsoever. Theres nothing to argue to change his, and most of AGS's perception of "how bad the MEAC is" that I shouldn't even waste my breath or energy commenting on it.

The MEAC as a conference isn't very good...that shouldn't even really be in dispute...HOWEVER. There are some VERY GOOD players in the MEAC. I've never seen the kid from SC State, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was a beast.

inpsite1919
November 21st, 2008, 05:05 AM

xrolleyesx

Ford has a background Pendland does not
Will Ford Vs Todd Pendland
Ford
06 – 752yds
07 – 1389 yds
08 – 1221 yds so far

Pendland
06 – 277 yds
07 – 370 yds
08 – 1321 yds so far

Ford is the leader of his team and still has one more year to develop before going to the next level.

Here are complete states for the year.

Ford

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=155371

Pendland

Ford has been doing this since his freshman year even when he was a backup.

What I think DSUrocks07 was implying by rolling his eyes is that there was somebody else on the list that could have been signalled out before the guy from the MEAC. Larry Warner 1123 YARDS ON THE SEASON. So what you don't know what they have done to carry their teams.

Donaldson has 1569 yards on the seasoN WHY EVEN TYPE HIS NAME?

Your Guy is not on the list. Right now he is a ONE HITTER QUITTER LOOK FORWARD TO NEXT YEAR.

This message has been approved by INSITE1919 xcoffeex

Hail-Hail
November 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
Ford
06 – 752yds
07 – 1389 yds
08 – 1221 yds so far

Pendland
06 – 277 yds
07 – 370 yds
08 – 1321 yds so far

Ford is the leader of his team and still has one more year to develop before going to the next level.

Ford

Pendland

What I think DSUrocks07 was implying by rolling his eyes is that there was somebody else on the list that could have been signalled out before the guy from the MEAC. Larry Warner 1123 YARDS ON THE SEASON. So what you don't know what they have done to carry their teams.

Your Guy is not on the list. Right now he is a ONE HITTER QUITTER LOOK FORWARD TO NEXT YEAR.

Any questions?xnodx Ford is a machine and had it not been for the Clemson game his stats would be even more ridiculous. I'm not one for shoulda coulda wouldas but I'm just saying. He may not get it (almost positive AE is a lock) but the guy is a beast and one hell of a person off the field too. With these things there are always gonna be some snubs but I'm not about to get into the muck of downing the people that someone may think deserves it or not.......whatever it's all a part of the fun of being a fan eh?xthumbsupx

Good luck to all involved

biggie
November 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Hate to say it, but the lack of playing tomorrow could hurt Edwards a lot. Hope he plays.

danefan
November 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Not having David McCarty from Albany on the list is ridiculous:

1581 rushing and 9 TDs
341 receiving and 4 TDs

Really?

No offense to William Ford, but his numbers don't even compare to McCarty's. Not even close.

I think the Sports Network needs to reevaluate its process here. McCarty is a MAJOR OVERSIGHT.

And the argument that Ford has been doing this for years doesn't hold water against McCarty. He did it last year too.

elcid96
November 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
If Andre Roberts scores a touchdown against Floriday tomorrow, look for him to be one of the finalists.

USDFAN_55
November 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Good to see another Torero on the list. That's three years in a row a player from USD has been on the final list.

ElonPride
November 21st, 2008, 12:45 PM
If Andre Roberts scores a touchdown against Floriday tomorrow, look for him to be one of the finalists.

Roberts is probably one of the best all around athletes. I think playing on a losing team may hurt his chances (no offense to the El Cid team by the way). But yes, he does deserve to be a finalist. He is a multiple weapon and would start and be extremely productive on any team in the FCS.

BULLDOG8180
November 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM
Roberts is probably one of the best all around athletes. I think playing on a losing team may hurt his chances (no offense to the El Cid team by the way). But yes, he does deserve to be a finalist. He is a multiple weapon and would start and be extremely productive on any team in the FCS.

Nice reply EP.
I picked Hudgins to be our "one player from another team" in another post. Would Hudgins and Roberts complement each other or what?!

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM

I wasn't thinking in terms of how strong or weak the MEAC is at all. I was just looking at how Pendland's stats compare to those of some other backs on the list and they compare particularly well with those of the back from South Carolina State.

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2008, 07:36 AM

Because Pendland has produced more total yards and has been more productive on a play by play basis.

danefan
November 22nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Not having David McCarty from Albany on the list is ridiculous:

1581 rushing and 9 TDs
341 receiving and 4 TDs

Really?

No offense to William Ford, but his numbers don't even compare to McCarty's. Not even close.

I think the Sports Network needs to reevaluate its process here. McCarty is a MAJOR OVERSIGHT.

And the argument that Ford has been doing this for years doesn't hold water against McCarty. He did it last year too.

Does anyone have any clue how McCarty could have been left off the list? Does anyone know how the list is compiled?

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2008, 07:55 AM

As I said, I wasn't thinking in terms of conference at all. I think Warner being on the list and Pendland not arguably raises a question but it's not as clear cut as it is with the South Carolina State guy.

Warner is 12th in FCS rushing. Pendland is 6th.
Warner's averaged 6.27 yards per carry. Pendland has averaged 6.54.
Warner's scored 9 TDs rushing. Pendland's scored 12.
Warner's 3rd in all purpose yards. Pendland is 5th
Warner's averaged 8.44 yards per touch. Pendland's averaged 7.35
Warner's ranked 36th in scoring with 12 total TDs. Pendland's ranked 11th with 15 TDs.

Warner does have the edge in some categories.

Now the comparisons involving Ford and Pendland:

Ford is 14th in rushing, Pendland is 6th.
Ford's averaged 6.11 yards per carry, Pendland's averaged 6.54
Ford's scored 11 TDs rushing in 11 games, Pendland's scored 12 in 10
Ford is 53rd in all purpose yards, Pendland's 5th
Ford's averaged 6.06 yards per touch, Pendland's averaged 7.35
Ford is 84th in scoring with 11 TDs. Pendland is 11th with 15.

That's why I picked Ford. There is absolutely no way any reasonable person can make the argument that he's been as productive as Pendland has been this year; which is what the award is supposed to be about.

Cat79
November 22nd, 2008, 08:02 AM

John,

You would think the same thing could be said for Karrington Bush from Texas State. I know he is a soph but look at his numbers. He had over a 1,000 yards as a freshman.

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Any questions?xnodx Ford is a machine and had it not been for the Clemson game his stats would be even more ridiculous.

Pendland played against North Carolina, which is better than Clemson this year. The two are comparable in rushing defense, with Clemson giving up 140.9 per game and North Carolina giving up 143.0. Pendland had 85 yards rushing and 60 yards receiving against the Tar Heels for 145 all purpose yards. Not his best game, but respectable.

Ford 14 yards rushing and -1 yard receiving against Clemson for 13 all purpose yards.

Again, the reason I picked Ford is he's the clearest example of someone such that, if you look at actual production, there's no way one could make a reasonable argument that he'd been as productive as Pendland has. I wasn't singling him out because he plays in the MEAC.

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
the only thing that I could see is that it might be a case of the team that he's playing on. (non-playoff) but even that would be a stretch

McNeese is not necessarily a non playoff team. Depends on what happens today and it wouldn't be the strangest thing that ever happens if they get in. All it'd take to make that a certainty is for Texas State to lose at Sam Houston and McNeese to win at Central Arkansas. I think the odds are against those two things happening, but it's not an extremely long shot. And there's even some possibility that things could work out so that, if they beat UCA, they get in on an at large even with only 6 D-I wins. But that IS a very long shot.

McNeese is also ranked comparably to South Carolina State in polls and power ratings. And McNeese has a relatively high profile name in the subdivision. I think you're right in saying it'd be a stretch to say that the team he's playing on is the reason.

I think there's something to saying it's because Pendland wasn't on the radar prior to the season. But I don't think that's the way it's supposed to work.

McNeese75
November 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
Ford
06 – 752yds
07 – 1389 yds
08 – 1221 yds so far

Pendland
06 – 277 yds
07 – 370 yds
08 – 1321 yds so far

Ford

Pendland

xrolleyesx Now that is a moronic statement. McNeese had been playing with the running back by committee approach since 2003 so the carries were not there for Pendland. And, since when is this years award based on the 2006 and 2007? xnonox

appstate1998
November 22nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
xrolleyesx Now that is a moronic statement. McNeese had been playing with the running back by committee approach since 2003 so the carries were not there for Pendland. And, since when is this years award based on the 2006 and 2007? xnonox

xoutofrepx

ElonPride
November 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Nice reply EP.
I picked Hudgins to be our "one player from another team" in another post. Would Hudgins and Roberts complement each other or what?!

Man, that would be a heck of an offense!!! I strongly believe that Hudgins and Roberts are the 2 best receivers the SoCon has seen......and 2 have them playing during the same time period is phenomenal. Heaven forbid injuries, we'll be seeing both play on Sundays in 2 years!

Could you imagine the passing attack of Hudgins, Roberts and Mayers with either Lawson or Riddle at the helm?

Last year, Hudgins and Mayers broke the NCAA record for passes caught by two teammates, previously held by Jerry Rice and Joe Thomas of Mississippi Valley State.