PDA

View Full Version : OVC tiebreaker

TopsInDaVille
November 13th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Who gets the auto if JSU, EIU and EKU all tie for the conference title?

(Sorry if this was covered in another thread, but I couldn't find it.)

TopsInDaVille
November 13th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Never mind. Found it on the OVC Web site.

A coin flip? Hell, they oughta televise that! I wonder if it would be like that scene out of "Friday Night Lights." Would the location be secret? Hmmm, what would be a central location between Eastern Illinois, Eastern Kentucky and Jacksonville State? Hell, maybe they can meet right here in Louisville. I'll do it. (And I promise not to rig it so EKU loses!) ;)

Mr. C
November 13th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Unbelievable that the OVC doesn't have something in place to prevent this. Most conferences have a lot of tiebreakers, or have the ADs vote, or something to avoid this. This is the best way to have the worst possible team get into the field. Can you say Mickey Mouse.

JaxSinfonian
November 14th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Since the conference commissioner and two of the teams will be in Jacksonville on Saturday, I believe the flip will be held here, if necessary.

The Anniston Star (Jax State's hometown paper) reported yesterday that the conference has realized it can't find a 3-sided coin, and likely will do a drawing of some kind. That's not much better, but at least it's practicable.

So, for all of you who are putting EIU in your playoff predictions, you're either assuming 1) that they'll beat Jax State on Saturday, or 2) that they're lucky enough to win the drawing. So which is it? And if it's option #1, tell us why you think that will happen.

th0m
November 14th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Well, you can also use a dice :D Give each team 2 numbers :D

dbackjon
November 14th, 2005, 11:32 AM
So, for all of you who are putting EIU in your playoff predictions, you're either assuming 1) that they'll beat Jax State on Saturday, or 2) that they're lucky enough to win the drawing. So which is it? And if it's option #1, tell us why you think that will happen.

More like EIU is undefeated and leading the conference at this moment - same as Big Sky (Montana leads, but EWU could win)

jsualum97
November 14th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Actually a coin flip is possible. Have a representative of each team flip a coin, and the odd man is in. Very simple:)

TopsInDaVille
November 14th, 2005, 12:26 PM
What happens if there's a "goocher?"

jsugamecock98
November 14th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Is it you get hit by a car or run over by a train! I know the train knocked the last person clean out of their shoes. LOL, that was a good one!

rcny46
November 14th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Actually a coin flip is possible. Have a representative of each team flip a coin, and the odd man is in. Very simple:)

Actually,I think that's a very good idea.If the scenario develops in which a coin flip is used to decide the OVC champ,then your suggestion seems like the best way of accomplishing it.

Golden Eagle
November 14th, 2005, 04:43 PM
This is going to be great. Our Conference has NEVER had a three-way Championship before.

Of course, now that it's all set up, EIU will collapse against JSU.

OL FU
November 14th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Since the conference commissioner and two of the teams will be in Jacksonville on Saturday, I believe the flip will be held here, if necessary.

The Anniston Star (Jax State's hometown paper) reported yesterday that the conference has realized it can't find a 3-sided coin, and likely will do a drawing of some kind. That's not much better, but at least it's practicable.

I have a two headed one if you would like to borrow it before saturday.

JaxSinfonian
November 14th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Of course, now that it's all set up, EIU will collapse against JSU.

Eagle, the Panthers must collapse at JSU for the tie to happen. If EIU wins on Saturday, there's no flip, no drawing, no tie, and no question - they're the outright conference champs and they get the bid.

Of course, I'd like to avoid the tie if at all possible. I like our chance son the field much better than I like our chances in the lottery. That's why my second favorite team this weekend is Tennessee State. Go Tigers, go!

Golden Eagle
November 15th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Eagle, the Panthers must collapse at JSU for the tie to happen. If EIU wins on Saturday, there's no flip, no drawing, no tie, and no question - they're the outright conference champs and they get the bid.

Obviously. Just because we're out of it doesn't mean I'm not paying attention. ;)

JaxSinfonian
November 15th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Well, they've got it all figured out.

http://www.ovcsports.com/article.asp?articleid=74211

" ... Because each of the three teams would have a 1-1 record against the other two and no losses to any other team in the Conference, the determination of which team would receive the league’s automatic bid would be handled via a blind draw, in accordance with the league’s tiebreaker procedure."

The draw, if necessary, will take place at JSU, in the AD offices, about 15 minutes after the EKU-TSU game ends.

Hopefully, it won't happen. Go Cocks, and please, fortheluvagod, go Tigers!

FL connection
November 15th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Or..........Go Panthers!!!!

ekufbfan
November 15th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Hey, EKU fans, If there is a 3 way tie and a draw, I am wondering who'll be watching the chicken house....I mean the folks drawing the cards in the AD's office down there in Al-a-bam-eee????? :confused:

Golden Eagle
November 16th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Hey, EKU fans, If there is a 3 way tie and a draw, I am wondering who'll be watching the chicken house....I mean the folks drawing the cards in the AD's office down there in Al-a-bam-eee????? :confused:

Presumably, international observers will be present for this momentous occasion. ;)