PDA

View Full Version : Two Players Added to Buck Buchanan List

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
UCA's Hart, ASU's LeGree named to Buchanan Watch List

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Central Arkansas defensive end Larry Hart and Appalachian State free safety Mark LeGree have been named to the final Buck Buchanan Award watch list.

The pair will join 14 other players on the ballot for the 2008 Buchanan Award. Voting for the Buchanan Award will be conducted next week.

The winner of the 14th Buck Buchanan Award, symbolic of the top defensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), will be announced at the annual Sports Network Awards banquet on Dec. 18 in Chattanooga, TN at the Marriott Hotel. The Walter Payton Award, which goes to the top player in FCS, and the Eddie Robinson Award, which is bestowed upon the top coach, will also be awarded on the eve of the NCAA Division I football championship game.

Hart, a 6-1, 252-pound junior from Madison, MS, has been the defensive leader for a Central Arkansas team that has dominated play in the Southland Conference this season and is ranked No. 13 nationally with a 9-2 record.

A transfer from Holmes Community College, Hart has made a big mark in his first FCS season. He has 11.5 sacks, 20.5 tackles for loss, 39 tackles, four passes defended, one forced fumble and one blocked kick, and his tackles for loss have resulted in 93 yards in losses.

Hart posted his best game of the season in a win over UC Davis, finishing up with five solo tackles, three sacks for 17 yards of losses, a pass defended and a forced fumble.

If Central Arkansas were not a transitional school and ineligible for national rankings, Hart would rate third in sacks and sixth in tackles for loss.

LeGree, a 6-0, 200-pound sophomore from Columbus, GA, has burst on the scene in his first year as a starter to lead FCS in interceptions with nine. He tied a school record with three INTs in a nationally-televised game against Wofford last month, and established a new single-season record at ASU when he picked off a pass against Elon last week.

Coming in as a replacement for last year's Buchanan Award runner-up Corey Lynch, LeGree has at least one interception in five games in a row and seven of his past nine games. The hard-hitting safety also has 47 tackles, four passes defended, one sack and one forced fumble.

He has been a key defender for an Appalachian State team that has gone 9-2, won a fourth-straight Southern Conference title and is ranked No. 2 in the The Sports Network Top 25 poll. ASU ranks fifth nationally in passing efficiency defense and sixth in interceptions. LeGree has nine of those 18 interceptions.

LeGree played a reserve role in his freshman season, as Appalachian State won its third consecutive national championship. Seeing plenty of action on special teams, LeGree had 20 tackles in 14 games, including three in the national title win over Delaware.

Joining Hart and LeGree on the Buchanan Award ballot will be linebacker Bobby Abare of Yale, strong safety Colt Anderson of Montana, defensive end Jovan Belcher of Maine, linebacker Zach East of Prairie View, defensive tackle John Faletoese of UC Davis, cornerback K.J. Gerard of Northern Arizona, free safety Marcus Haywood of James Madison, defensive end Greg Miller of Villanova, defensive end Greg Peach of Eastern Washington, linebacker Andy Romans of Lafayette, linebacker Andy Schantz of Portland State, free safety Lardarius Webb of Nicholls State, linebacker Jason Williams of Western Illinois and linebacker Nathan Williams of Murray State.

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/buchanan/2008/index.aspx

GOKATS
November 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM
So Bobby Daly isn't even on the list any more?

Ronbo
November 20th, 2008, 03:55 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/buchanan/2008/index.aspx

Who maintains that site? The stats are mid season.

Here's Safety Colt Anderson's updated stats.

79 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 2 ints, 4 breakups, 1 fumble recovery.

But stats only tell half the story, Colt wins the teams hardest hitter award every year. He is a true head hunter.xnodx

ericsaid
November 20th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Mark Legree is the only sophmore and only one of two including himself that aren't seniors. That's a great sign.

BEAR
November 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Larry Hart is a beast...and he still has one more year! xbowx

mlbowl
November 20th, 2008, 05:27 PM
So Bobby Daly isn't even on the list any more?

I can't believe these words are coming from my fingertips, especially during Cat/Griz week, but any list that doesn't include Bobby Daly is BS!

gbhmt
November 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM

But stats only tell half the story, Colt wins the teams hardest hitter award every year. He is a true head hunter.xnodx

No kidding. And it's been recognized before, he's first team preseason All-American.

gbhmt
November 20th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I will retain no trust in the group that votes for the award if Greg Peach doesn't win.

HiHiYikas
November 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Jacque Roman...

42 Ind. Tackles, 63 Ast. Tackles, 105 Total...5 TFL's, 2 INT's, 2 Sacks, 3 fumbles recovered.

It would seem to me he should be on the list.

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM

The intern does those I believe. Might want to shoot Coulson an email with a link to his correct stats. Because I have heard rumors of schools padding stats I use the stats on the conference websites to be safe and what you have is right on with what the Big Sky lists at http://www.bigskyconf.com/sports/football/2008/stats/um.htm#team.def.

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I will retain no trust in the group that votes for the award if Greg Peach doesn't win.

I agree. He has pretty much run away with it. If Peach does not win I would be totally shocked.

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Jacque Roman...

42 Ind. Tackles, 63 Ast. Tackles, 105 Total...5 TFL's, 2 INT's, 2 Sacks, 3 fumbles recovered.

It would seem to me he should be on the list.

It hurts your players to have more than one on the list because some votes will cancel each other out as some around the SoCon will have to choose who to vote for. Roman is good but as a ILB he should lead the team in tackles while LeGree looked lost early in the year and did not even start showing up until mid-season. LeGree has 7 ints in 5 games and broke a school record with 9 so far this year so I think he deserves the nod between the two. Roman will likely be an All-American but I think LeGree stands a better chance with votes because of his gaudy INT numbers.

Grizalltheway
November 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Two Big Sky BB winners in a row? Works for me! xthumbsupx

HiHiYikas
November 20th, 2008, 08:37 PM
It hurts your players to have more than one on the list because some votes will cancel each other out as some around the SoCon will have to choose who to vote for. Roman is good but as a ILB he should lead the team in tackles while LeGree looked lost early in the year and did not even start showing up until mid-season. LeGree has 7 ints in 5 games and broke a school record with 9 so far this year so I think he deserves the nod between the two. Roman will likely be an All-American but I think LeGree stands a better chance with votes because of his gaudy INT numbers.
That makes pretty good sense to me.

I'm never totally sure how they compile this list, particularly since different positions compile very different stat totals. It just looks a bit to me like Roman's numbers are better than some of the other candidates.

I'm not offering a hard argument here. I'm not going to be one of those people who says "this list is a joke because so-and-so isn't on it." I don't know that much about it. I certainly wouldn't want to suggest anything that would hurt LeGree's chances.

MTGrizzFan
November 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM

I would love to see Colt win, but I agree...Peach is a monster.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 20th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Peach's updated stats:
Games played: 10
Solo Tackles: 31
Assists: 36
Total: 67
TFL: 22.0-129yds
Sacks: 18.0-103yds
PBU: 1
QBH: 1

gbhmt
November 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Peach's updated stats:
Games played: 10
Solo Tackles: 31
Assists: 36
Total: 67
TFL: 22.0-129yds
Sacks: 18.0-103yds
PBU: 1
QBH: 1

Yeah see nobody can even hold a candle to that.

already123
November 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM
personally, I didnt think Andy Shantz was that good at all. Daly is much much better....hell, Sarmento is too

Skjellyfetti
November 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Legree is just nasty. He'll be another of those Appalachian State names people will be tired of hearing in a few years. :D

Canyoncat
November 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Dang, wish Daly was still on the list, but he has had very low tackle counts the last three weeks or so. Being banged up (hip) and better players around him has taken away a lot of the same tackles that he made last year. Good problem to have with the better players.

If I had a vote, my vote would be for Peach. Just a monster season! Even if Daly was having the same type of year as he had last year, I think I would still vote for Peach. You just can't ignore leading the nation in sacks and tackles for loss.

AppAlum2003
November 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
That makes pretty good sense to me.

I'm never totally sure how they compile this list, particularly since different positions compile very different stat totals. It just looks a bit to me like Roman's numbers are better than some of the other candidates.

I'm not offering a hard argument here. I'm not going to be one of those people who says "this list is a joke because so-and-so isn't on it." I don't know that much about it. I certainly wouldn't want to suggest anything that would hurt LeGree's chances.

Why is it that all of your posts appear to be rational, well-though out, calm responses? I mean, seriously, who do you think you are? :D

GrizFamily
November 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Why is it that all of your posts appear to be rational, well-though out, calm responses? I mean, seriously, who do you think you are? :D

xlolx Yeah, what kind of site do you think this is? Take it to the Rational Board. Sheesh.

ericsaid
November 21st, 2008, 01:19 PM
Mark Legree