PDA

View Full Version : Another ESPN FCS Fumble...

FurmanPaladins4138
November 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I love these...

According to College Football Live, the battle for the Old Mountain Jug is played between Western Kentucky University and Appalachian State.
I'm a Furman fan, and even I knew something was wrong with that...

xlolx

appfan2008
November 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
haha... oh well... we would beat them too...

james_lawfirm
November 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I love these...

According to College Football Live, the battle for the Old Mountain Jug is played between Western Kentucky University and Appalachian State.
I'm a Furman fan, and even I knew something was wrong with that...

xlolx

There's a thought. Maybe it should be. Maybe ESPN is right & we've been playing the wrong team all these years. Dang.

MaroonDoom
November 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
What is inside the jug anyway?

wideright82
November 20th, 2008, 03:57 PM

I think babies xeekx

ToTheLeft
November 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Don't ask a Catamount... they wouldn't know. :P

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2008, 04:34 PM

All the good luck they stole from Georgia Southern back when they were the king of the world.

AppGrad06
November 20th, 2008, 04:38 PM
nothing now (except the above mentioned things), but according to Coach Moore if you uncork it you can still smell the vapors of the moonshine it once contained

Yosef@therock
November 20th, 2008, 04:56 PM
just shows how stupid the folks at ESPN are.

AppGrad06
November 20th, 2008, 05:01 PM
If it were just stupidity it wouldn't bother me b/c stupidity can't be helped, It's that they just don't care that's insulting.

AppAlum2003
November 20th, 2008, 05:03 PM
The real question is.... why was E$PN covering an FCS game?

appmaj
November 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Good one ESPN

FurmanPaladins4138
November 20th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Yeah...I hate to say, but the Old Mountain Jug came up as part of a segment about obscure rivalry names that no one knows/cares about. Oh well...

KiddBrewer
November 20th, 2008, 06:02 PM

tradition.

ha how corny of an answer is that ^^^^^^^^^xlolx

joecooll6
November 20th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Last night when talking about the Washington/ Washington State game on Sportcenter they said "Washington is the only team in the FBS, that is Division I, to be winless this year. Washington State's only win was over a D2 team". That D2 team is Portland State.

Henny
November 20th, 2008, 06:31 PM

I agree, however come playoff time, they have done a much better job. UD was on either ESPN or ESPN2 three out of four weeks last year.

clenz
November 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I agree, however come playoff time, they have done a much better job. UD was on either ESPN or ESPN2 three out of four weeks last year.

Can't say that proves they are doing a good job.

catamount man
November 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Don't ask a Catamount... they wouldn't know. :P

Thump that chest 19-16.;)

ToTheLeft
November 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Thump that chest 19-16.;)

Hey, we're not on App's level, and I never claimed that. It's a joke I would have used even if you guys had beat us. Fact is, you guys don't get to see the jug all that much. :P

clenz
November 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Last night when talking about the Washington/ Washington State game on Sportcenter they said "Washington is the only team in the FBS, that is Division I, to be winless this year. Washington State's only win was over a D2 team". That D2 team is Portland State.Wait, FCS isn't D2? Well WTF?

joecooll6
November 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Wait, FCS isn't D2? Well WTF?

It wasn't just that they called Portland State D2.

It was that they actually used the correct term, FBS, when describing Washington. But then they had to define FBS as "That is Division I". No, it isnt, its FBS!

joecooll6
November 20th, 2008, 10:26 PM
And then on top of that they called Portland State D2

GATA
November 21st, 2008, 12:13 AM
All the good luck they stole from Georgia Southern back when they were the king of the world.

That's not even clever...xcoffeex

catamount man
November 21st, 2008, 07:51 AM
I would just as soon they quit covering FCS if they are gonna do it half ass. We've survived without them before.xmadx

rudy1648
November 21st, 2008, 09:56 AM
I heard that on ESPN too. One guy was playing a trivia game with the other guy. Asking,,true or false,,the following are trophys that are actually played for in games. Bad thing is, when he gave The Old Mountain Jug as a trophy, the other guy said "false". Then first guy says, sorry to tell you,,it is true. It is played for in the game between Appalachian and Western ,,,wait for it,,,Kentucky> .

For all the good it did, I got on ESPN and sent email,,told them their mistake. Good to catch those guys in screw-ups.

WUTNDITWAA
November 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM
But now for the big question. Did he pronounce Appalachian correctly?

jmufan999
November 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM
If it were just stupidity it wouldn't bother me b/c stupidity can't be helped, It's that they just don't care that's insulting.

you nailed it, bro. it is insulting without a doubt. i mean, i'm not PERSONALLY insulted by this particular blunder, but they make stupid blunders like this all the time with FCS football. they suck.