PDA

View Full Version : Could McNeese get a berth out of sympathy?

Lehigh Lover
November 13th, 2005, 10:06 PM

Retro
November 13th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Look at it like this...

If Mcneese beats nicholls they are 6 - 3, with 6 wins againest I-AA, 1 loss againest a I-A... The 2 games that were cancelled were not and are not TOP 25 teams in any fashion, so they were likely wins.

That being said, i think Mcneese would be as deserving as any other team with comparable wins and record and if Mcneese does or doesn't get it, i won't complain unless its a 4 loss team.. Then there is an issue.

Also, Mcneese has done everything in it's power to reschedule cancelled games, but due to TWO hurricanes and lack of open dates and the playoffs looming, there is no way they can make them up before the playoffs..

Mcneese has managed to secure a winning season and still has a chance at sharing the SLC title with a win this week and a texas state loss, despite going through what no I-AA team, I repeat no I-AA team has ever gone through... It is more than likely mcneese would be 7 - 3 or better going into this week under a normal season.

The NCAA has only said they will give special consideration to teams affected by the hurricane.. That doesn't mean sympathy but they have to consider the fact we could not play 2 games this year.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 13th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Now I know which team will be the deserving team left out this year.

A 4-loss team will make it. Unfortunately, it will not be mine.

Good luck to all on the last week of the regular season. Make it count, it's a long way until September...

Kill'em
November 14th, 2005, 01:57 AM
I don't think pity will get McNeese into the playoffs. The fact that McNeese is a quality team would get them in. After all they put it to us in Statesboro so I saw how good they can be. Unfortunately, some good teams will be left out and McNeese might be one.

Cocky
November 14th, 2005, 08:12 AM
If McNeese wins Saturday, how do you put GSU in before McNeese?

GannonFan
November 14th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Hey, I'm almost penciling in the winner of the Nicholl's St./McNeese game in the playoffs already. There will be sympathy and frankly, McNeese has some good enough wins that hurricane or no they probably would've been in anyway.

Kill'em
November 14th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I don't.

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Hey, I'm almost penciling in the winner of the Nicholl's St./McNeese game in the playoffs already. There will be sympathy and frankly, McNeese has some good enough wins that hurricane or no they probably would've been in anyway.

That'd make the SLC a two-bid conference...and that, I like!

gsugt1
November 14th, 2005, 11:33 AM
We beat the #1 team in November.

Kill'em
November 14th, 2005, 08:25 PM
I do need to rethink that. When McNeese beat us we were plaing our worst ball in years. This isn't the same team.

JTCowboy
November 14th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I do not think this McNeese team is playoff caliber. As much as i love'em and would love to see the season extended I think there are more deserving teams.

Next year may well be a very different story. Only 7 seniors started this past Sat against NSU. I would be very surprised if this time next year we were not in the playoff picture as a sure thing.

McTailGator
November 15th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I do not think this McNeese team is playoff caliber. As much as i love'em and would love to see the season extended I think there are more deserving teams.

Next year may well be a very different story. Only 7 seniors started this past Sat against NSU. I would be very surprised if this time next year we were not in the playoff picture as a sure thing.

I agree,

THIS years team IS NOT a playoff team with the way we have been playing. And while I do believe that the Hurricanes are the reason WHY we have been playing like crap, the fact is even our wins have been ugly and I do not want to be a Pitty Pick for the play-offs.

That being said, mark this down now...

McNeese will be the 06 AND 07 SLC Champions and the playoffs will be a foregone conclusion. We have WAY TOO MANY outstanding Sophs and Freshmen on this team that will be 3 and 4 year starters for us to not simply roll through the SLC like we did from 2001 to 2003.

blackfordpu
November 15th, 2005, 08:49 AM
I agree,

THIS years team IS NOT a playoff team with the way we have been playing. And while I do believe that the Hurricanes are the reason WHY we have been playing like crap, the fact is even our wins have been ugly and I do not want to be a Pitty Pick for the play-offs.

McNeese will be the 06 AND 07 SLC Champions and the playoffs will be a foregone conclusion. We have WAY TOO MANY outstanding Sophs and Freshmen on this team that will be 3 and 4 year starters for us to not simply roll through the SLC like we did from 2001 to 2003.

Isn't it a little early to start throwing predictions around? We still have to see how recruiting goes.

McTailGator
November 15th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Isn't it a little early to start throwing predictions around? We still have to see how recruiting goes.

The recruiting necessary for a 2006 - 2007 SLC Championship is already over...

That happened in 2002, 2003, and 2004...

In those years, McNeese brought in some outstanding recruits, and were able to redshirt a few to give us some 5 year players that will give us the same depth you saw from McNeese's 2002 and 2003 teams...

McNeese recruites have filled the rosters of the Louisiana and Houston area H.S. All Star games in the last 3 years. In fact, McNeese recruits have outnumbered all other Louisiana Universities* in the the Louisiana All-Star games (*Note, LSU does not allow its recruits to participate in these games). In 2004, McNeese recruits accounted for 40% of the Louisiana HS All-Star game with 17 recruits on that team. Tulane and LaTech were tied for 2nd with was second with 9 players each that year.

JTCowboy
November 15th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I agree,

I agree gatorman and to add an intangible to that I will say that these guys are more disciplined and more team players than those other teams. For example irresponsible individual personal fouls are way down. Coach Tate has cracked down on the BS after the plays are over. I lost count over the last few years the number of times we would do something big to only have it negated by a stupid foul. Nuf said.

Retro
November 15th, 2005, 04:00 PM

AS said before, Mcneese always recruits for the future and does not put too much focus on waiting for transfers to show up and carry the team.

JohnStOnge
November 15th, 2005, 05:45 PM
There was a discussion on the McNeese board about whether or not the Cowboys could be selected IF they get by Nicholls State. At first I emphatically argued "no way." But after I started looking at possible scenarios I think they have an outside shot.

Put it this way: If Wofford could've been left out and Northwestern State included in 2002, anything can happen. No offense to Northwestern State, but Wofford clearly had a more impressive performance that year.

Of course it partially depends on whether or not the NCAA is willing to waive the "7 DI wins" rule for special circumstances such as this. But if they're willing to do that, nothing would surprise me. 6-3 is a better winning percentage than 7-4.

I still think it's very unlikely, but after looking at who has 3 losses now, who those who have games left play face, etc. yesterday I don't think it's impossible as I did before.