PDA

View Full Version : Jackson State/ Alcorn: The 1967 Brawl at Mid-feild

jstate83
November 20th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I remember my dad and older brother's talking about this game after it was over. xlolx
The cause of the fight?
Football with stripes -vs- Football with no stripes. xlmaox

Coaches, Ref's and a Futrue U. S. Secretary of Education came to Blows........ xlolx (http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20081119/COL0504/811190346/1073)

Capitol City Classic................The Soul Bowl.

Jones wouldn't call Jackson State by name, insisting on calling JSU that "school up north."

Said Comegy, "I read some of the comments (Jones) made. I'm just going to let that go. He was just telling people what they want to hear."

It was all pretty tame, really - certainly nothing like the smack we used to hear the week of the Alcorn-Jackson State game and nothing even approaching what happened one day back in 1967.

Older Jackson State and Alcorn fans will remember. Marino Casem was the promising young coach at Alcorn. Rod Page, who would become the Secretary of Education under George W. Bush, was the head coach at Jackson State. Robert Hill and W.C. Gorden, two future JSU coaches, were on Page's staff.

813Jag
November 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I wonder if Casem was wearing those plaid pants back then. xlolx

jstate83
November 20th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I wonder if Casem was wearing those plaid pants back then. xlolx

You know it.xlolx
Complete with his trade-mark Sweater Vest..........Purple and Gold.xlolx

That was not the last time casem clowned.
I got to see him on one of the last Thanksgiving day game's.
I don't know what happened, but in the 3rd qtr, Casem had to be physically removed from the playing field by his coaching staff.

That man was mad as hell over a call.
by the time they got his big arse back to the sideline and calmed him down, his clipboard, headset, glasses, and sweater vest was all out on the playing field. xlolx

And you know the Boom and JSU fan's egged that shat on by playing and chanting the Alcorn fight song.
That just made thing's worse cause then both fan bases started going at it. xlolx

hawkeye
November 20th, 2008, 01:07 PM
So I hear it was Alcorns decision to raise the the tailgating fee from 15 to 25 dollars at Memorial Stadium. Does that just pour fuel on the fire? Whats up with paying to tailgate anyway?

Syntax Error
November 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
this stuff is so good for FCS

jstate83
November 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
So I hear it was Alcorns decision to raise the the tailgating fee from 15 to 25 dollars at Memorial Stadium. Does that just pour fuel on the fire? Whats up with paying to tailgate anyway?

naw.
Earnest Jones did that the day he was hired when he went on a JSU tantrum IN DOWNTOWN Jackson at his press conference. xlolx

This game is a "Home Game" for Alcorn even though it is played in JSU's stadium.
We rotate who is the home team every year and they set their rules for how much it is to tailgate and all that.

$15 dolars is what they charge on Alcorn's campus for an RV setup.
At JSU games in Memorial, the price is $30 for a RV spot every week.

If you tailgate in the GROVE, it's free to lay out on the grass.
They just charge $10 to park in the Stadium parking lot.
Most people just tailgate right behind their car's if the grove is filled.

Other's hit the bar's like Shemmel's or Sal and Mookie's NY Pizza that are right on the border of Memorial in Fonderon.

813Jag
November 20th, 2008, 01:23 PM
naw.

This game is a "Home Game" for Alcorn even though it is played in JSU's stadium.
We rotate who is the home team every year and they set their rules for how much it is to tailgate and all that.

$15 dolars is what they charge on Alcorn's campus for an RV setup.
At JSU games in Memorial, the price is $30 for a RV spot every week.

If you tailgate in the GROVE, it's free to lay out on the grass.
They just charge $10 to park in the Stadium parking lot.
Most people just tailgate right behind their car's if the grove is filled.

Other's hit the bar's like Shemmel's or Sal and Mookie's NY Pizza that are right on the border of Memorial in Fonderon.
I heard they charged $30 when Southern hit the Reservation. xlolx

appfan2008
November 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM
wish you had a video!

813Jag
November 20th, 2008, 02:56 PM
wish you had a video!
picture a big pair of purple and gold plaid pants rolling on the field. That was Alcorn's coach. xlolx

Panther88
November 20th, 2008, 04:06 PM
picture a big pair of purple and gold plaid pants rolling on the field. That was Alcorn's coach. xlolx

rotflol! :D xlolx

jstate83
November 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Why you talking about my plaid's man. xlolx
Plaid paint's, Plaid shirt.
What's wrong with size 52XXL plaids. xlolx
http://www.collegefootball.org/playerimages/70072_1.jpg

jstate83
November 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM
wish you had a video!

Oh man.
Video of that would be pure gold to the holder. xlolx

You need to hear W.C. Gorden and Casem together telling that story in person.
You would literally bust your gut laughing at all the stories that come out. xlmaox

813Jag
November 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Why you talking about my plaid's man. xlolx
Plaid paint's, Plaid shirt.
What's wrong with size 52XXL plaids. xlolx
http://www.collegefootball.org/playerimages/70072_1.jpg
I like Coach Casem he started our turn around at SU. I loved the gold helmets we had.