PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh's Coen to remain as HC in'09

LUHawker
November 20th, 2008, 09:18 AM
According to the blog by Lehigh's beat writer, Keith Groller, Lehigh's head coach Andy Coen, will be back for 2009 per his, up 'til now, unverified, 4 year contract.

Here is the link with the text below: http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

November 20, 2008
Newsflash from Lehigh luncheon: Coen will return
Total People in Discussion: 0
I talked to a bunch of people at today's Lehigh football luncheon and learned a lot of things.

But the most important thing to be learned was when I headed for the door at the Cooperhead Grille and Mike Stagnitta, Lehigh's football contact for the school's sports media relations office, stopped me on the side and assured me that Andy Coen would be back as head coach in 2009.

Mike was speaking on behalf of the athletic department, I am sure. Mike doesn't make those decisions. He was told what to say after I speculated about Andy's future in a story earlier this week.

Stagnitta said that Andy signed a four-year contract when he was hired and 2009 is the fourth year. He said that AD Joe Sterrett wanted to give Coen four years, a full class, to establish his program and get things rolling. As noted before, it took Kevin Higgins until his fifth year, 1998, before he really elevated the program to a consistently high level and began a glorious four-year run that people still talk about.

So, there you have it. There has been a tremendous amount of speculation about Coen's job status and I have wondered myself because there has been a tremendous of negativity out there. 6-5, 5-6 and 4-6 to this point has been very disappointing to many alumni and fans who got in the habit of expecting league championships and playoff appearances every year.

I am sure there will be plenty of folks unhappy with the news that Coen will return in 2009. He gets ripped to shreds on certain forums. They'll let him have it in a loud way if things go sour on Saturday.

But I still believe that Coen has been coaching players he didn't recruit and it's not fair to gauge him until he is coaching virtually all of his own players.

Coen and Sedale Threatt were not a good match at quarterback for instance. Sedale just wasn't the style of QB Coen wanted and while they got along well, it was a marriage destined for failure.

This year, sophomore QB J.B. Clark is certainly more in the traditional dropback mode that Coen wants, but he experienced growing pains and was simply not ready to win games late like he probably will be in 2009 and 2010.

On a more selfish level, I am glad Coen will be back. Maybe the jury is still out on him as a head coach, but as a person, you can't find many better and I've covered quite a few on all levels over the past 26 years. He doesn't play mind games with the media like so many others do. He doesn't change personalities. He is what he is and has been a pleasure from a media perspective. Not just for me either. I think my counterparts at the Express-Times and in the radio and TV business feel the same way.

It has been a tough three seasons, and the vast success at Lafayette and with some of his successors hasn't put him a positive light. He'll have one more shot at turning things around next year and we'll see what happens.

While fans can nitpick a lot of the gametime decisions that were made this season and fault this scheme or that one, you can't deny that the players kept playing hard for him. He never lost this team despite the heartbreaking losses and that says something about the man.

But even with the knowledge that Coen is returning, Saturday remains a pivotal game for the program. Lehigh needs to change perceptions and chase away a lot of the negativity and the only way to do that is with a win -- "even if it's by one point," Coen said..

Coen emphasized that Saturday's game is about the long-suffering kids, especially the seniors, who have lost three straight games to Lafayette and the two at Fisher Stadium haven't been close.

"They certainly deserve a better fate," Coen said. "Good coaches, and I consider myself to be one, have to take things very personally and I do. I feel horrible that things haven't worked out for these kids the way I thought possible. So, a win on Saturday, if we can find a way, would make it all worthwhile. It's a special group of kids and they do deserve something special. But they have to go out and earn it."

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2008, 09:30 AM
One huge subplot has been removed from this weekend's game.

LUHawker
November 20th, 2008, 09:32 AM
One huge subplot has been removed from this weekend's game.

I think making this public was a good move by the AD, even if they ultimately make a change in the offseason. Hopefully, for just one day, it will keep the boo-birds focused on supporting the team and allow Coen to just go out and WIN!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I think making this public was a good move by the AD, even if they ultimately make a change in the offseason. Hopefully, for just one day, it will keep the boo-birds focused on supporting the team and allow Coen to just go out and WIN!

I agree. I know I hadn't speculated publicly about Coen's job, but Keith Groller did earlier this week on his blog (which I'm pretty sure I reported on mine, too).

From what I know of the AD, when he says something like this, he means it. I think win or lose, he's back next year.

I fearlessly predict a record amount of traffic to the Morning Call website today... :p

RichH2
November 20th, 2008, 10:03 AM
While I must still reserve decision on Andy, I am glad that AD removed the issue from the table. Better for tem and for recruiting for next year.
I know anumber of posters are sanguine about Lehigh's team for next year. I am not . The squad particularly with another good class will be deep.

A failure to win next year will put the onus on staff, if as Higgins did, he takes what he has constucted and wins
then AD madethe right choice and we can go back to bitching about the playoffs

LehighFan11
November 20th, 2008, 11:29 AM
This might be the first good decision all year.

crusader11
November 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Sorry that you guys have to deal with this nitwit for another year.

LEHIGH61
November 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I know the roster pretty well and I really think that with another good recruiting class Lehigh will definitely be in the hunt for the PL title next season. Offensively they should be in great shape. 3 solid guys are returning to the starting offensive line, and hopefully a heathy Jaren Walker. AND WOULD I LOVE THE COACHING STAFF TO LURE KWESI KANKAM BACK TO THE TEAM for great depth at the running back spot. And , of course, the return of J. B. Clark at QB. He has all the tools. Probably the best QB in the the league next season. He should bring out the best in the WR hopefuls.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I know the roster pretty well and I really think that with another good recruiting class Lehigh will definitely be in the hunt for the PL title next season. Offensively they should be in great shape. 3 solid guys are returning to the starting offensive line, and hopefully a heathy Jaren Walker. AND WOULD I LOVE THE COACHING STAFF TO LURE KWESI KANKAM BACK TO THE TEAM for great depth at the running back spot. And , of course, the return of J. B. Clark at QB. He has all the tools. Probably the best QB in the the league next season. He should bring out the best in the WR hopefuls.

I don't think that's happening, FWIW. My sketchy knowledge is that I don't think he's even enrolled at Lehigh at this point.

LehighFan11
November 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I don't think that's happening, FWIW. My sketchy knowledge is that I don't think he's even enrolled at Lehigh at this point.
Yea I think he is in Ohio.

LEHIGH61
November 20th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Franks Tanks
November 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM

What happened to Queasy KanKan? I remember that name

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
He got decleated by Andy Romans xlolx

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
"And there was much rejoicing!"xcoffeex

yea!:p

LehighFan11
November 20th, 2008, 03:38 PM
What happened to Queasy KanKan? I remember that name
He quit the team in the beginning of the year. As far as I know he is in Ohio.

petethepenguin15
November 20th, 2008, 03:53 PM
He quit the team in the beginning of the year. As far as I know he is in Ohio.

Man I hope I have had enough of him. I hope we get a new hc coach next year that can actually get some results

LehighFan11
November 20th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Man I hope I have had enough of him. I hope we get a new hc coach next year that can actually get some results
Whats wrong with Kamkam?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Already admitting defeat to Lafayette? I have my doubts but i haven't chalked it up as an L yet. check your sig xrulesx

Lehigh74
November 20th, 2008, 04:59 PM
And , of course, the return of J. B. Clark at QB. He has all the tools. Probably the best QB in the the league next season. He should bring out the best in the WR hopefuls.

One interesting subplot on the quarterback situation is that the freshman Lum is now listed as #2 on the depth chart. From everything I have heard the kid is an outstanding talent. This sets up what could be a big off season battle between Clark and Lum for the starting job next year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2008, 05:08 PM
One interesting subplot on the quarterback situation is that the freshman Lum is now listed as #2 on the depth chart. From everything I have heard the kid is an outstanding talent. This sets up what could be a big off season battle between Clark and Lum for the starting job next year.

Lehigh better win on Saturday or things could get real ugly i believe. The last thing this team needs is a QB controversy heading into next year especially when you have a guy who has thrown 21 TDS and only 10 INT's this year. If nothing else they'll have experience at QB to make up for losing their top 5receivers in terms of receptions and their starting RB and FB. You can't honestly tell me Lehigh wil be at all successful next year with a NEW starting Soph QB, a new RB, and two new starting WR's. Not mention a defense that is going to be radically retooled. That has all the making of a complete trainwreck. Coen still needs to win Saturday or things will not be pretty.

LehighFan11
November 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Lehigh better win on Saturday or things could get real ugly i believe. The last thing this team needs is a QB controversy heading into next year especially when you have a guy who has thrown 21 TDS and only 10 INT's this year. If nothing else they'll have experience at QB to make up for losing their top 5receivers in terms of receptions and their starting RB and FB. You can't honestly tell me Lehigh wil be at all successful next year with a NEW starting Soph QB, a new RB, and two new starting WR's. Not mention a defense that is going to be radically retooled. That has all the making of a complete trainwreck. Coen still needs to win Saturday or things will not be pretty.
I agree that Lehigh loses alot of talent in terms of people who have put up the statistics this year. However, Lehigh has alot of talent waiting in the wings. Lehigh didn't get strong recruiting classes the last two years to not use them. These talented players will need to step up and it may take sometime. I think Lehigh won't be a true threat in the PL until 2011, but that year, Lehigh will be scary good.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I agree that Lehigh loses alot of talent in terms of people who have put up the statistics this year. However, Lehigh has alot of talent waiting in the wings. Lehigh didn't get strong recruiting classes the last two years to not use them. These talented players will need to step up and it may take sometime. I think Lehigh won't be a true threat in the PL until 2011, but that year, Lehigh will be scary good.

If Lehigh won't be a threat to win the PL until 2011 then Coen most certaintly won't be back after next year IMO. A loss on Sat and he'll have to go 7-4/8-3 next year and beat Lafayette. If what you say would be true about 2011 he's a dead man walking IMO.

LehighFan11
November 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM
If Lehigh won't be a threat to win the PL until 2011 then Coen most certaintly will be after next year IMO. A loss on Sat and he'll have to go 7-4/8-3 next year and beat Lafayette. If what you say would be true about 2011 he's a dead man walking IMO.
Sorry I meant to say 2010. I think they are 6-7 wins max next year. If they show signs of improvement next year, with all the returning players, I think Coen should get 2 more years.

petethepenguin15
November 20th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Already admitting defeat to Lafayette? I have my doubts but i haven't chalked it up as an L yet. check your sig xrulesx

Yeah, yeah i see my mistake little typo, I haven't given up yet!xlolx

ngineer
November 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
The decision to publically affirm Coen's status was the right thing to do to remove the rampant speculation that can seriously distract a team.
Lehigh will lose a number of starters to graduation, but a lot of underclassmen have seen significant time this year. The OL, which was better this year, should be even better next year. The QB situation is solid and a healthy Walker at TB will be exciting. There is also rumor of a potential transfer from a major FBS school of a RB looking for a place where academics matter. Of interest will be where Al Pierce is next year. Some very exciting but raw talent at WR with the last two years' recruiting..
On defense, Phil Winett will return from this year's season ending surgery that he had in August, joining Benning and Ray who have had good seasons. Good experience returning at LB with Pierce, Taylor, Showunmi, and who should be Pre-Season All-American and Buchannan Candidate Matt Cohen. The CBs will be experienced and while the two safeties graduate, there is experience with Sanchez and Eldemire. There will be healthy competition at the P/K position between Randazza and Smith.

A win on Saturday will be huge. As I said before, Lehigh needs this win for many reasons more than the usual. I expect a sky-high team with any number of gadget plays, which is typical for this game, anyway.

RichH2
November 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
Kankam still in schoollost his fire for football wanted to concentrate on academics.

Yes there is a rumor about a rb transfer from a major school.