PDA

View Full Version : The Decision-Making Selection Committee

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 08:40 PM
THE COMMITTEE (http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2008/1_football_handbook.pdf)

Chairman:
John McCutcheon - Dir. of Athletics Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst
Committee:
Mark Sandy - Dir. of Athletics Eastern Kentucky University
Tim Van Alstine - Dir. of Athletics Western Illinois University
Charles Jones - Dir. of Athletics Central Connecticut State University
Bruce McCutcheon - Dir. of Athletics Lafayette College
Charles Cobb - Dir. of Athletics Appalachian State Univeristy
Floyd Kerr - Dir. of Athletics Morgan State University
Warren Koegel - Dir. of Athletics Coastal Carolina University
Richard Bernardi - Dir. of Athletics Nicholls State University
Jim O’Day - Dir. of Athletics University of Montana

If their team is being discussed they must leave the room.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=2008-fcs-championship&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 08:42 PM
THE COMMITTEE (http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2008/1_football_handbook.pdf)

Chairman:
John McCutcheon - Dir. of Athletics Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst
Committee:
Mark Sandy - Dir. of Athletics Eastern Kentucky University
Tim Van Alstine - Dir. of Athletics Western Illinois University
Charles Cobb - Dir. of Athletics Appalachian State Univeristy
Jim O’Day - Dir. of Athletics University of Montana

If their team is being discussed they must leave the room.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=2008-fcs-championship&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

So that would mean Cobb, Sandy, and O'Day then?

eaglewraith
November 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Oh god...expect a really heavy CAA playoff again this year.

GATA
November 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Oh god...expect a really heavy CAA playoff again this year.

Because the chairman is from U.Mass?

I would think he doesn't get any more of a vote than the rest of the committee though...

tingly
November 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
The chair's previous job was at Cal Poly, but that doesn't count.

19Duke97
November 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM
The chair is primarily a figurehead I believe. And if it comes down to two teams from separate conferences, I believe protocol is for the reps of those two leagues to excuse themselves while the others discuss it.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 10:02 PM
The chair is primarily a figurehead I believe. And if it comes down to two teams from separate conferences, I believe protocol is for the reps of those two leagues to excuse themselves while the others discuss it.http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-caa-today-playoff-facts-review-and-i&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

The two upcoming AQ leagues are represented this year, 10 voters. Only when their teams are being discussed, the other conf rep can stay.

T-Dog
November 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hopefully Elon, UNH and Richmond win so their job is just a matter of pairing teams up.

LakeGriz
November 20th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Indeed, the committee's PROTOCOL may require a member to leave the room if his team is being discussed, but here's what the selection language actually says:

5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not VOTE for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a VOTE is taken.

So the difference between being in the room for discussion would be one of PROTOCOL rather than the RULE.

LakeGriz
November 20th, 2008, 12:44 AM
T-Dog, I took note of App's all-time record against some teams of note, including 1-0 vs Michigan. Apparentlyh App's all-time record of Montana is not one of note, but just for the record, I believe App is 0-1 vs Montana.

Syntax Error
November 20th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Indeed, the committee's PROTOCOL may require a member to leave the room if his team is being discussed, but here's what the selection language actually says:

5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not VOTE for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a VOTE is taken.

So the difference between being in the room for discussion would be one of PROTOCOL rather than the RULE.

Yes, sorry for any misrepresentation. That is what members of the committee have said.

Green26
November 20th, 2008, 06:18 AM
To clarify, what have members of the committee said?

I can't imagine that the AD of a team in consideration isn't involved in discussions about his team. He would presumably have more information about his team than anyone in the room. Of course, at some point, the member must leave the room for the vote. There is presumably additional discussion, or even considerable additional discussion, of his team and the situation after he departs the room.

19Duke97
November 20th, 2008, 07:00 AM

So to me I read that it is indeed a RULE they cannot be in there.
pro⋅to⋅col
   /ˈproʊtəˌkɔl, -ˌkɒl, -ˌkoʊl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [proh-tuh-kawl, -kol, -kohl] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the customs and regulations dealing with diplomatic formality, precedence, and etiquette.

Ok so my verbiage may not be 100% to your liking, but in essence it's the same thing.. my point was when they went for the vote; of course he has a right to discuss his team, but he cannot make the final decision, which was my response to the "Oh no there will be tons of CAA teams". I believe I have heard from reliable sources that this is the case when it becomes "the last 2" type scenario that the representatives leave the room to show equity and fairness.

Tribe4SF
November 20th, 2008, 07:04 AM
To clarify, what have members of the committee said?

I can't imagine that the AD of a team in consideration isn't involved in discussions about his team. He would presumably have more information about his team than anyone in the room. Of course, at some point, the member must leave the room for the vote. There is presumably additional discussion, or even considerable additional discussion, of his team and the situation after he departs the room.

Situations like this require restraint from representatives with teams under consideration. Objectivity is paramount, and a committee member sharing his view of his own team would be unwelcome. If it went on, it would be an unfair advantage for the few teams with such representation, and would undoubtedly be seen as lobbying. It would fall to the chair to put a stop to any such discussion, but I can't imagine that it would reach that point.

appfan2008
November 20th, 2008, 07:16 AM
glad to see cobb on the list hopefully he can get all the socon teams in as possible

Khan4Cats
November 20th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Hopefully Elon, UNH and Richmond win so their job is just a matter of pairing teams up.

I think the Elon game is the one that might cause the most fits. The other two are each up for the winner, and if Elon wins, they round out the field. UNH and Richmond would each have a case (if they lose) should Elon lose, along with Liberty and a few others-that's where the discussion will take place.

SIU losing might also throw a wrench in there, but I still see them as safe as a second MVFC team even with a loss.

Otherwise, yeah, it will mainly be seeding and pairings.

89Hen
November 20th, 2008, 08:21 AM
THE COMMITTEE

Yet DetroitFlyer will still complain it's just the good ol' boy network. xlolx

Drblankstare
November 20th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I think the Elon game is the one that might cause the most fits. The other two are each up for the winner, and if Elon wins, they round out the field. UNH and Richmond would each have a case (if they lose) should Elon lose, along with Liberty and a few others-that's where the discussion will take place.

SIU losing might also throw a wrench in there, but I still see them as safe as a second MVFC team even with a loss.

Otherwise, yeah, it will mainly be seeding and pairings.

Agree. Even if SIU loses, there in. The only drama comes from the Elon v Liberty game. All in all I think it will be a pretty boring day for the selection committee.

appfan2008
November 20th, 2008, 08:40 AM
where do they meet? bc that could be some expense travel for all ten of those people... or do they just do a teleconfernce thing?

mcveyrl
November 20th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Because the chairman is from U.Mass?

I would think he doesn't get any more of a vote than the rest of the committee though...

Didn't you read the rule about the chairman being Supreme Dictator of FCS?? Gosh, I thought it was common knowledge that that's how the CAA thing happened last year. :D xrolleyesx xpeacex

Seriously, thanks for calling him out on it.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2008, 08:54 AM
glad to see cobb on the list hopefully he can get all the socon teams in as possible

Well that's certainly homeriffic! xsmhx

I just want to see the best 16 teams make it, regardless of conference affiliation. xnodx

For objectivity, I defer to the GPI. It may not be perfect, but it's the best we got! xthumbsupx

GOKATS
November 20th, 2008, 10:46 AM
where do they meet? bc that could be some expense travel for all ten of those people... or do they just do a teleconfernce thing?

The committee meets in Indianapolis.

89Hen
November 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM
where do they meet?
In a back alley somewhere under the cover of darkness where they plot to screw the PFL.

lizrdgizrd
November 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Well that's certainly homeriffic! xsmhx

I just want to see the best 16 teams make it, regardless of conference affiliation. xnodx

For objectivity, I defer to the GPI. It may not be perfect, but it's the best we got! xthumbsupx

Well, we know we're not going to get the best 16 teams, that's what AQs are for. xcoffeex

tingly
November 20th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I don't know about this committee, but generally, chairs don't vote or discuss, just run the meeting and break ties.

placidlakegriz
November 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM

I wonder if O Day gets to be at the game Saturday if he has to be in Indianapolis on Sunday?

gbhmt
November 20th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I wonder if O Day gets to be at the game Saturday if he has to be in Indianapolis on Sunday?

I'm sure he will. Game will be over by four at the latest. It'd be a crime to pull him away from Cat/Griz.

james_lawfirm
November 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I don't know about this committee, but generally, chairs don't vote or discuss, just run the meeting and break ties.

Well then, how did the CAA (A-10) get all them teams in last year? Hmmm? Surely they weren't all legit & needed the chair to help. Just kidding.

Actually, it seems to me that the best the committee can do is to disappoint only about 10 or so teams and their fans. The AQs are easy, no decision necessary. The remaining 8 teams in is the tricky part.

tingly
November 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Coaches usually have a good idea if they're not getting in, but they let the committee break the bad news. I don't think a coach would ever get quoted saying, "We're a long shot at best" unless they had a 3-9 season. It's kinda obvious who 6 of the 8 at larges will be, pending Saturday.

EKUSteve
November 20th, 2008, 05:31 PM

Maybe I should go downtown on Sunday and discuss things with them?