PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost...

TXST_CAT
November 13th, 2005, 08:34 PM
to get your first round game at home? The Bobcat faithful would like to know. I figured this would be a good place to find out. I know there are some stipulations as to who gets to host the games but I would like to know more. Plus does the hosting team pay the visitors anything? What are the chances of making profit from these games? One source tells me we are in the top 20 when it comes to attendance this year. It would be nice to have our first round game at home so long as our Bobcats take care of business this weekend.

rokamortis
November 13th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Would be nice to see what the typical bid / winning bid is.

Eaglegus2
November 13th, 2005, 08:42 PM
The minimum bid for the 1st Round is $30,000. I would be willing to guess the actual bid to host a 1st Round game would be between $75 - $100K.

This is just my guess.

The 2nd Round games will be a lot higher.

FlyYtown
November 13th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Okay I went to the Top Avg. Attendances; I can't imagine these will change for other than 1-2 spots for next week.

Teams in Top 20 and have realistic shot at playoffs.

1. Montana--23,532
2. Appalachian State--23,169
6. Georgia Southern--16,241
9. Youngstown State--14,544
14.?? Montana State
18.?? Furman
20. Texas State--12,057
22. UNI--11,701

The first four have great shots of hosting; the #6 and #9 will be the one's fighting for it if it comes down to them. . If they play eachother; that deserves an ESPN Network

Chi Panther
November 13th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Okay I went to the Top Avg. Attendances; I can't imagine these will change for other than 1-2 spots for next week.

1. Montana--23,532
14.?? Montana State
18.?? Furman
20. Texas State--12,057
22. UNI--11,701

The first four have great shots of hosting; the #6 and #9 will be the one's fighting for it if it comes down to them. . If they play eachother; that deserves an ESPN Network

Are you sure that includes the games from yesterday.....

Ronbo
November 13th, 2005, 08:59 PM
What Montana bids is 75% of the expected gate because that's what you pay the NCAA anyway or your bid whichever is higher. We can expect 16,000 to 17,000 for the turkey weekend game so I would guess we would bid 16,000 X 75% X $15 or $180,000.

For the quarters and semis we can expect 23,000 so we would bid $250,000.

FlyYtown
November 13th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Are you sure that includes the games from yesterday.....

Youngstown State and Montana's is right. I did those both by hand.. Why does it seem wrong? I got them from here: CLICK HERE (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/attendance/IAA_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf)

TXST_CAT
November 13th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Good info. Thanks.

Chi Panther
November 13th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Youngstown State and Montana's is right. I did those both by hand.. Why does it seem wrong? I got them from here: CLICK HERE (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/attendance/IAA_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf)

Looks to be accurate.....I guess I thought with UNI's attendance of 15.5K against SIU it seemed low....but I'm sure that site is accurate....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2005, 12:47 AM

1. Montana--23,532
14.?? Montana State
18.?? Furman
20. Texas State--12,057
22. UNI--11,701

Lehigh will have a good shot at hosting. The game against Lafayette will be sold out which means 16,000. The game against Holy Cross was a played in a monsoon and only 1,500 people showed up. Otherwise their attendance avg would be about 12,500.

GannonFan
November 14th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Lehigh's always a good candidate to host - they've done it before, they've shown that they can get decent crowds on Thanksgiving Day weekend (expected attendance is part of the equation too), and they have good facilities. And with UD not in play this year they're a good East Coast venue.

McTailGator
November 15th, 2005, 09:16 AM
to get your first round game at home? The Bobcat faithful would like to know. I figured this would be a good place to find out. I know there are some stipulations as to who gets to host the games but I would like to know more. Plus does the hosting team pay the visitors anything? What are the chances of making profit from these games? One source tells me we are in the top 20 when it comes to attendance this year. It would be nice to have our first round game at home so long as our Bobcats take care of business this weekend.

Cat,

Don't look at making a lot of money from being the host...

McNeese, Montana, and Delaware have shown that a profit can be made, but it ain't much...

In 2002, McNeese hosted 3 playoff games in "The Hole" and averaged a 97% capacity through out the playoffs. We even raised our ticket prices AND charged Students $5.00 per game.

We only cleared about $45,000 from ALL THREE games that year. (That's ALL - not each one). The NCAA rapes the host schools for the privelage of hosting, and game day sponsors like we have during the regular season is not allowed, unless the nomy goes to the NCAA.

Also, all sovenier sales belong to the NCAA.

The NCAA owns your stadium for the day.

Also, be advised, that the first round attendance is horrible all around the country. All students are gone for the holiday. But it does get better as the games go on.

Good luck

OL FU
November 15th, 2005, 09:35 AM

1. Montana--23,532
14.?? Montana State
18.?? Furman
20. Texas State--12,057
22. UNI--11,701

Furman averages about 12,000. However, typically in the playoffs we get a first round if we are 9-2 or better.

putter
November 15th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Cat,

McNeese, Montana, and Delaware have shown that a profit can be made, but it ain't much...

In 2002, McNeese hosted 3 playoff games in "The Hole" and averaged a 97% capacity through out the playoffs. We even raised our ticket prices AND charged Students $5.00 per game.

We only cleared about $45,000 from ALL THREE games that year. (That's ALL - not each one). The NCAA rapes the host schools for the privelage of hosting, and game day sponsors like we have during the regular season is not allowed, unless the nomy goes to the NCAA.

Also, be advised, that the first round attendance is horrible all around the country. All students are gone for the holiday. But it does get better as the games go on.

Good luck

Yea, the NCAA makes you bend over for the playoffs and what do they do for I-AA? NOTHING. No major promotion or pushing the championship game to the equivalent to a upper tier bowl game. They suck. :bang:

TXST_CAT
November 15th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Yea, the NCAA makes you bend over for the playoffs and what do they do for I-AA? NOTHING. No major promotion or pushing the championship game to the equivalent to a upper tier bowl game. They suck. :bang:
The University Presidents need to get together like the BCS boys did back in the day and form the PCS. It is the University Presidents who allow us to be raped this way just for the money to go Div I-A endorsements. :bang:

TXST_CAT
November 15th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Cat,

Good luck

Bobcat Stadium can hold over 15,000 maybe 16,00 if additional seating is brought in. Not to mention the Endzone can double as Box seats. How much does "The Hole" hold?

McNeese72
November 16th, 2005, 08:02 AM
"The Hole" stands hold 17,500. But with the hills we could squeeze 21,000 (like the 2001 Grambling game) in before the Fire Marshalls shut things down.

The four seeded teams will get home games automatically if they have paid the minimum bid for the first round. That takes up 8 teams. The sites for the games between the other 8 teams are determined by a number of factors, one of which is bids. See below from the Div I-AA Playoff Handbook on the NCAA sites for specifics.

Site Determination. With regard to first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in
addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3, the NCAA Division I-AA Football
Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff
sites:
a. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees,
which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed
budget:
First round—$30,000
Quarterfinal—$40,000
Semifinal—$50,000
b. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites
to the top four seeded teams.
c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded,
criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated
net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (i.e.,
conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents),
and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).
d. If a quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact the institutions
involved did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact the institutions
and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s minimum financial
guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host
institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
e. If no institution is willing to submit a proposed budget at the current level, the previous
round’s minimum financial guarantee will be offered. If seeded teams are not involved,
the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship siteselection
criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
f. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of
the prospective host institution.

You guys better pay good attention to the last one. You host a game and have big problems, then the NCAA will remember that if you guys are ever considered for hosting a game in the future.

Doc

McTailGator
November 16th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Bobcat Stadium can hold over 15,000 maybe 16,00 if additional seating is brought in. Not to mention the Endzone can double as Box seats. How much does "The Hole" hold?

17410 is the official capacity.

But throw in another 320 band Stand seats in the endzone as well as another 380 seats in the private suites and club seats that are not counted in the official number and the seating jumps to 18,110.

Not to mention another 5,000 possible grass seats on the endzone hills.

That 96% capacilty I spoke of in the earlier post was using the 17410 figure.

txstatebobcat
November 16th, 2005, 09:27 AM
f. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of
the prospective host institution.

You guys better pay good attention to the last one. You host a game and have big problems, then the NCAA will remember that if you guys are ever considered for hosting a game in the future.

Doc

That was completely unnecessary. I've been to Lake Charles, Nacogdoges, Huntsville and Thibodaux to cheer for the bobcats. In all cases we had some great fans at those institutions with a few bad apples mixed in. San Marcos is no different.