PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly Offense- Why no love?

Throw It To Ramses!!!
November 19th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Ok, so I've heard from alot of people that to stop Poly all you need to do is shut down Ramses Barden. This is not the case what so ever. Cal Poly has a stellar run game with 6 running backs/full backs averaging over 7 yards per carry. The last game against UC Davis (number 5 run defense in FCS avg 73 ypg) Poly put up 427 yards on the ground. So if you try to double up Ramses then Poly with run it down your throat. But if you stack 8 in the box then Dally will just throw it over your heads to either Ramses or Tre'dale Tolver. And if all else fails Dally can run with the best. Dally also has the best efficiency rating in FCS with 20 tds and only 1 INT. Plus he has 8 more tds on the ground. With a potent ground game and an explosive passing offense, the only way it seems to beat Poly is to keep us off the field. (And make us kick field goals, which our kicker is incapable of doing from more than 25 yards)

Silenoz
November 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I've seen nothing but respect for CP's offense on these boards

Houndawg
November 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Ok, so I've heard from alot of people that to stop Poly all you need to do is shut down Ramses Barden. This is not the case what so ever. Cal Poly has a stellar run game with 6 running backs/full backs averaging over 7 yards per carry. The last game against UC Davis (number 5 run defense in FCS avg 73 ypg) Poly put up 427 yards on the ground. So if you try to double up Ramses then Poly with run it down your throat. But if you stack 8 in the box then Dally will just throw it over your heads to either Ramses or Tre'dale Tolver. And if all else fails Dally can run with the best. Dally also has the best efficiency rating in FCS with 20 tds and only 1 INT. Plus he has 8 more tds on the ground. With a potent ground game and an explosive passing offense, the only way it seems to beat Poly is to keep us off the field. (And make us kick field goals, which our kicker is incapable of doing from more than 25 yards)

It isn't that there's no love, it's just that no one can get a word in edge-wise.

Throw It To Ramses!!!
November 19th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I just find it amazing that an offense of this caliber isn't enough to garner a seed. The Montana game was excellent and if it werent for a missed chip shot field goal (In a non sold out Spanos Stadium, game was in early september and school doesnt even start until late sept) Poly would be the talk of the FCS. Guess we will hafta wait until the playoffs until the East can truly fear the Poly Offense

TXST_CAT
November 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I just wanted to get some jabs in. Like I said I think Cal Poly and TXST have created a seedling rivalry these last few years. As I see it TXST is going to have to earn respect if we make the playoffs. Again IF. Out side of TXST I hope CP does well. xthumbsupx

slostang
November 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Cal Poly is the new kid on the block. Respect is earned the old fashion way, in the playoffs. We do well there and there will be plenty of respect.

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I think there is lots or respect for the Poly Offense. I agree with Montana game... sucks because we should have won that game. I dont think people understand how much of a chip shot it was he missed. I hate the what ifs but MAN!!! WHAT IF we hit that field goal. We would be undefeated and a lock for a #1 seed. Well we just might get our chance this year if we Play Montana in the Playoffs.

tingly
November 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Poly's rushing offense is #3 and passing is #63. Whoever says that on Barden isn't paying attention. Poly also lost because of bad punting, the safety, bad return coverage, going scoreless for a 30-minute stretch of the game. The field goal miss was just the cherry on the sundae.

Throw It To Ramses!!!
November 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM
yea looking back, poly drove the ball about 50 yards in 2 minutes and had over a minute left while they were inside the 10 yard line. They should have continued to pound the ball into the endzone or throw it up to ramses. But our kicker made the game winning fg a week earlier in San Diego State from about the same mark, so its sad that he couldnt do it again But thats wuts great about the FCS, playoffs and second chances.

wideright82
November 19th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I just find it amazing that an offense of this caliber isn't enough to garner a seed. The Montana game was excellent and if it werent for a missed chip shot field goal (In a non sold out Spanos Stadium, game was in early september and school doesnt even start until late sept) Poly would be the talk of the FCS. Guess we will hafta wait until the playoffs until the East can truly fear the Poly Offense

Why would your offense garner a seed? They are powerful, no doubt, no one says otherwise. If we are using chip shot field goals as an excuse to be a seed, then Villanova should be the talk of FCS for making JMU beat us arcade style. You will have your chance in the playoffs to beat up on anyone you would like, but as of now you lost to Montana, time to make up that game and show everyone you are even the best in the west, let alone all of FCS. (went cochran at the end there) I will say that I don't want to see an early matchup against you guys, because of that offense, and as far as I am concerned, Nova has the best run defense in the country, so as a run oriented team, that is giving you respect.

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Poly's rushing offense is #3 and passing is #63. Whoever says that on Barden isn't paying attention. Poly also lost because of bad punting, the safety, bad return coverage, going scoreless for a 30-minute stretch of the game. The field goal miss was just the cherry on the sundae.

The Special Teams that DAY SUCKED!!! but things are better now. Our Kick still sucks but hey he is trying. I hope and pray he can come through again when we need him in the Playoffs

Throw It To Ramses!!!
November 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Yea our special teams is HORRIBLE. Especially since our offense normally scores very fast, we put alot of pressure on the defense and special teams to come up big consistantly. When one or god forbid both of the special teams and defense don't show up(which they do almost every first half) then here comes a shootout. We are very capable offensively, but we need the defense to show up for the first half if we have any chance competing with the top tier teams.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Your offense is very good, your defense is so-so, as is your body of work, and your special teams suck. And you think you deserve a seed for that? Beat Wisconsin and we'll talk.

MaximumBobcat
November 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I think there is lots or respect for the Poly Offense. I agree with Montana game... sucks because we should have won that game. I dont think people understand how much of a chip shot it was he missed. I hate the what ifs but MAN!!! WHAT IF we hit that field goal. We would be undefeated and a lock for a #1 seed. Well we just might get our chance this year if we Play Montana in the Playoffs.

I'd like to see CP knock off Weber, and TxSt knock off UM, for a 2nd round rematch of CP and TxSt...in San Marcos of course. 2005 quarterfinals was a defensive struggle, I'm not so sure it would be the same this year. xnodx xnodx xnodx

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I believe Poly would beat Weber St and Texas St. give us another shot at Montana and we Beat them TOO... I am so exicited for these playoffs So we can shut people up about our schedule. You make it sound like we are San Diego here? who plays nobody and wants to get in.

Its not our fault the McNeese St game got put off. Another Win there and for sure we are in. I believe McNeese either lost or struggled with Northwestern... They didnt even belong on the field WITH US

appstate38
November 19th, 2008, 02:44 PM
All will be settled in 2 weeks..... You guys will be 1 of 16 who will have to put up or shut up!

Green26
November 19th, 2008, 02:46 PM
As has been said, Cal Poly has a very good and diverse offense. It's hard to defend against and prepare for.

Seeds are not given to teams with good offenses or good defenses. They're given to very good teams with very good records, who have played a strong schedule. The earlier comment made me chuckle. Definitely came from a playoff rookie.

The "chip shot" missed FG in the UM game was a miss by a kicker who is 1-8, or 12.5%, from over 23 yards this season. It may have been a chip shot for some, but not for the CP kicker. Given his track record, it would have been more surprising had he made the kick. This guy isn't even good in practice, judging from having watched him warm up before the game and at halftime.

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
As has been said, Cal Poly has a very good and diverse offense. It's hard to defend against and prepare for.

Seeds are not given to teams with good offenses or good defenses. They're given to very good teams with very good records, who have played a strong schedule. The earlier comment made me chuckle. Definitely came from a playoff rookie.

The "chip shot" missed FG in the UM game was a miss by a kicker who is 1-8, or 12.5%, from over 23 yards this season. It may have been a chip shot for some, but not for the CP kicker. Given his track record, it would have been more surprising had he made the kick. This guy isn't even good in practice, judging from having watched him warm up before the game and at halftime.

No thats what I mean.. Its a CHIP shot PERIOD. granted our KICK SUCKS!!! I am just saying that it is a CHIP SHOT.

tingly
November 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM
1st and 10, Montana 11 - false start penalty on Poly
1:40 - Montana timeout
1st and 15, Montana 16 - 2 yard run by Yocum
1:33 - Montana timeout
2nd and 13, Montana 14 - 1 yard pass to Barden
1:28 - Montana timeout
3rd and 12, Montana 13 - 3 yard run by Dally
0:43 - Poly timeout
4th and 9, Montana 10 - missed 27-yard FG

I remember that false start penalty cuz I was thinking the ball needed to get inside the 10 for a decent shot at a field goal, one more reason why Poly lost.

UNI Pike
November 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Cal Poly - careful what you wish for - playing at Washington Griz in 20 degree weather is a bit different than Spanos. If your kicker has a problem with kicking when its 70 degrees, he'll have a great time kicking a block of ice at Washington Griz.

Offense is great. Defense, not so much. The competition has not been the best, MT excepted to date.

Green Laser
November 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM
The biggest question mark about Poly at this point is the weakness of schedule. True they did win at San Diego State, but the Aztecs turned out to be one of the weakest FBS teams. Over and over we hear about how Poly should have beat Montana at home.
The fact is that they lost that game at home, their second game of the season, Montana’s opener. Montana has been a far better team in the second half of the season than they were in the first so I am not sure that you can draw any conclusions from the first game.

The bottom line is that Poly lost to the only FCS playoff level team they have faced and don’t deserve one of the top seeds. I do think they are a quality team that belongs in the playoffs and hope that they beat the Badgers on Saturday!

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM
We can only beat up on the People that ACTUALLY PICK UP THE PHONE!! so SLAC ST. Please with the hate

tingly
November 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I agree with him and I'm a Poly fan. Montana and Weber beat an FCS playoff team. Poly didn't which is crushing if you want a seed.

Poly Pigskin
November 19th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Cal Poly - careful what you wish for - playing at Washington Griz in 20 degree weather is a bit different than Spanos. If your kicker has a problem with kicking when its 70 degrees, he'll have a great time kicking a block of ice at Washington Griz.

Offense is great. Defense, not so much. The competition has not been the best, MT excepted to date.

We did just fine last time we were there in the playoffs, thank you very much. And that was when all of these studs on offense were freshmen. xthumbsupx

Green Laser
November 19th, 2008, 04:07 PM
We can only beat up on the People that ACTUALLY PICK UP THE PHONE!! so SLAC ST. Please with the hate

No hate at all! I wish Poly luck this Saturday and in the the Playoffs, as long as you don't face Weber State or Montana!

Sac State is not responsible for Poly's schedule. Check our strength of schedule against yours. We belong to a real Conference with 8 Conference games every year, plus Davis, plus at least 1 FBS money game every year. I would like to see Poly on the schedule again but since the Big Sky added Northern Colorado I don't see it happening unless the Big Sky cuts League contacts. Since the GWFC has only has 3 full FCS teams you guys might want to look at a double round robin!

Rob Iola
November 19th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I have every confidence that Poly will gain the respect of the committee come this weekend with a playoff berth...

and promptly lose to either Weber or Montana (again)...

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I have every confidence that Poly will gain the respect of the committee come this weekend with a playoff berth...

and promptly lose to either Weber or Montana (again)...

I sure hope all 2 of the 3 west teams have to play each other in the first round. Then I woke up and realized it is the selection committee and the ECB runs deep.

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM
No hate at all! I wish Poly luck this Saturday and in the the Playoffs, as long as you don't face Weber State or Montana!

Sac State is not responsible for Poly's schedule. Check our strength of schedule against yours. We belong to a real Conference with 8 Conference games every year, plus Davis, plus at least 1 FBS money game every year. I would like to see Poly on the schedule again but since the Big Sky added Northern Colorado I don't see it happening unless the Big Sky cuts League contacts. Since the GWFC has only has 3 full FCS teams you guys might want to look at a double round robin!

Got Sac St... RUNNING FROM US wont play us
Montana St... Another team running from US. wont play us anymore
Portland St.... Refuses to play us
NAU.... Not sure on this one so I wont say they refused
Weber St.... After loosing last year refused to play us

So from where I am sitting The BIG SKY is running from US... Play Montana was nice BUt that was because we signed a Home and AWAYx2... with the first game being at Poly because every other time we signed a home and home.. Montana always bought out

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Got Sac St... RUNNING FROM US wont play us
Montana St... Another team running from US. wont play us anymore
Portland St.... Refuses to play us
NAU.... Not sure on this one so I wont say they refused
Weber St.... After loosing last year refused to play us

So from where I am sitting The BIG SKY is running from US... Play Montana was nice BUt that was because we signed a Home and AWAYx2... with the first game being at Poly because every other time we signed a home and home.. Montana always bought out

I will say this once. Blame your AD not Montana. If you AD puts the clause in, it is your fault not Montana's. You did cash the check didn't you?

Pauly LB
November 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM

You miss the point. With plenty of history between Sacramento State and Cal Poly plus the fact that Sacramento and San Luis Obispo represent the closest distance geographically, it is a HUGE SHAME that the two teams do not play each other. The coaches want to play each other -- there is some issue at some level between both schools that are preventing this from happening. From people on the inside I can assure you that the stopper in scheduling the two schools is Sac State.

Instead Sacramento State scheduled two division two schools -- Humboldt State and Southern Oregon. While Sac State beat Humboldt State handily, the game against Southern Oregon was a one possession game at the end of the third quarter.

As for Cal Poly's schedule, quite frankly when the schedules were put together, the schedule was thought to be challenging. With consecutive weekends on the road in Louisiana for weeks 3 and 4, plus the opening two games against FBS San Diego State and FCS power Montana many thought that Cal Poly would be lucky to split the first four games. Who knew that San Diego State would be a doormat and that Hurricane Ike would mess with the schedule.

PS -- the double round robin idea goes completely against historic scheduling and would never happen

Green Laser
November 19th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I nominate Cow Poly for the biggest whiners on the board!

Pauly LB
November 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Now instead of putting some thought into making a legitimate take to address my post YOU choose to make it personal -- that is most disappointing.

By the way -- I would like to point out that you should run a spell check before you post. The way you spell WINNERS is NOT whiners. That is your bad and I accept your apology...

slostang
November 19th, 2008, 05:20 PM

What are you four? It is Cal Poly. Save your cow jokes for your pissing matches with UC Davis.

I moninate Sac State for the biggest cowards in the FCS when it comes to scheduling. 30 years of history flushed down the drain. Last year you used the excuse that you needed two FBS games to pay the bills. This year you could schedule 12 games and you only scheduled one FBS game and two DII games. Cal Poly would played in Sac for next to nothing with out a return game just to fill our schedule. We had a common open date so you can not use the excuse that you could not work out a mutual date.

Green Laser
November 19th, 2008, 05:36 PM
You miss the point. With plenty of history between Sacramento State and Cal Poly plus the fact that Sacramento and San Luis Obispo represent the closest distance geographically, it is a HUGE SHAME that the two teams do not play each other. The coaches want to play each other -- there is some issue at some level between both schools that are preventing this from happening. From people on the inside I can assure you that the stopper in scheduling the two schools is Sac State.

Instead Sacramento State scheduled two division two schools -- Humboldt State and Southern Oregon. While Sac State beat Humboldt State handily, the game against Southern Oregon was a one possession game at the end of the third quarter.

As for Cal Poly's schedule, quite frankly when the schedules were put together, the schedule was thought to be challenging. With consecutive weekends on the road in Louisiana for weeks 3 and 4, plus the opening two games against FBS San Diego State and FCS power Montana many thought that Cal Poly would be lucky to split the first four games. Who knew that San Diego State would be a doormat and that Hurricane Ike would mess with the schedule.

PS -- the double round robin idea goes completely against historic scheduling and would never happen

And last year you were saying we dropped the series because we feared Poly and wanted some "cupcake" games and then we ended up with Fresno State and New Mexico on the schedule. This year we did play Humboldt State and Southern Oregon which I though was one too many lower division teams, but it turned out for the best. Humboldt State which we have a far longer history with than we do with Poly, got us rolling into Colorado State with a head of steam and we almost won there.
8 of our starters where injured in that game including our QB and RB. and were missing from Southern Oregon so it was good to have that game to semi recover going into the Weber State game. Sac State is doing a good job of rebuilding the program but we don't have very much depth right now and the Big Sky is a battle every week. Although most of the Big Sky teams are in better shape depth wise than us they all have 8 league commitments and it takes it's toll. I would like to see Cal Poly on the schedule again, the series is tied at 15-15 and I have been to Poly games at Hornet Stadium that drew over 16,000 but don't see it happening on a regular basis unless the schedule goes to 12 games every year.

unhfan1
November 19th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Call UNH. We have a number of kids from Cali. Good luck against Wisconsin.

Green Laser
November 19th, 2008, 05:47 PM
What are you four? It is Cal Poly. Save your cow jokes for your pissing matches with UC Davis.

I moninate Sac State for the biggest cowards in the FCS when it comes to scheduling. 30 years of history flushed down the drain. Last year you used the excuse that you needed two FBS games to pay the bills. This year you could schedule 12 games and you only scheduled one FBS game and two DII games. Cal Poly would played in Sac for next to nothing with out a return game just to fill our schedule. We had a common open date so you can not use the excuse that you could not work out a mutual date.

The Cow Poly comment was in response to your boy Stang Fever's Slac State comment, take it up with him!

Rob Iola
November 19th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I sure hope all 2 of the 3 west teams have to play each other in the first round. Then I woke up and realized it is the selection committee and the ECB runs deep.
I gotcher ECB right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESbsyi7KXnA

slostang
November 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Like I said, respect is earned in the playoffs.

Cal Poly is a program on the rise with a lot to proud of this year, but they have only one FCS playoff win in their history (though I think the 9-2 2004 team could have made some noise if selected for the playoffs). I think they can add to that this year, but before we start popping off about lack of respect let's do something special in the playoffs and earn it. Is this the year? I sure hope so, but we shall see.

Mustang Man
November 19th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Cal Poly is the new kid on the block. Respect is earned the old fashion way, in the playoffs. We do well there and there will be plenty of respect.

Nothing more needs to be said. xcoffeex

ThreadStopper
November 20th, 2008, 02:25 AM
On to Wisconsin for a Badger lunch!