PDA

View Full Version : Playoff game geography

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM
we can revisit this on Sunday but I just threw together at little map based on this playoff field guess:

seeds in green:
jmu
weber
app
siu

at-large/AQs in yellow:
montana
cal poly
wofford
elon
scsu
uni
richmond
villanova
unh

undecided AQs in gray:
eku/martin
mcneese/texas st
holy cross/colgate

So who plays whom and where?

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 01:00 PM
The west will get screwed and CP will have to play Weber St/Montana.

terrierbob
November 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM
we can revisit this on Sunday but I just threw together at little map based on this playoff field guess:

seeds in green:
jmu
weber
app
siu

at-large/AQs in yellow:
montana
cal poly
wofford
elon
scsu
uni
richmond
villanova
unh

undecided AQs in gray:
eku/martin
mcneese/texas st
holy cross/colgate

Good Lord, Montana is all the way on THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTRY!

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM

xlolx

Houndawg
November 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM

I like TxSt @ Cal Poly (or Cal Poly @ McNeese) and UNI @ Montana or Weber St.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM
hmmmmmmmmm

home/visitors
jmu/elon
weber/cal poly
app/richmond
siu/ holy cross/colgate
montana/unh
scsu/wofford
uni/ eku/martin
mcneese/texas st /villanova

Throw It To Ramses!!!
November 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM
so lonely on the west coast. Haha its 83 and sunny right now so i guess it does have its perks

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM

No wonder the UM-MSU game is such a big deal...theres nothing else to do there xlolx

Maybe cow-tipping...xwhistlex

On a serious note...this just goes to show the lack of quality FCS conferences out west.

Big Sky
Great West

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Any others?

Skjellyfetti
November 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM
hmmmmmmmmm

app/richmond

If EKU gets in they'll go to App. If they don't, it will be SC State.

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Just looking at this, I'd say Cal Poly-Montana is a cinch unless Weber stumbles on Saturday. If Weber goes down, and Montana beats MSU, they're co-champs, and UM could find itself seeded. SLC Champ likely becomes the 4th team involved in the "West", and you either get CP-UM/Weber-SLC as your matchups, or CP-Weber/UM-SLC

Wofford-SC State looks pretty well sewn up as well. I realize SC State is closer to Boone, but it's the only school close to Wofford, plus ASU has VA schools nearby (and maybe EKU also)

If UTM wins the OVC, they'll face SIU, easy. If it's EKU, then they could get sent to App, and SIU could face a variety of teams

If HC wins the PL over Colgate, they're going to UNH. Colgate is likely headed to UNH also, but I suppose Nova is a possibility

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 01:17 PM
If EKU gets in they'll go to App. If they don't, it will be SC State.

I always thought Richmond (VA, not Ky.) was closer to you guys.

Retro
November 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
If UNI Wins and SIU loses, SIU may not get in depending on what happens in the CAA and SLC..xcoolx

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Just looking at this, I'd say Cal Poly-Montana is a cinch unless Weber stumbles on Saturday. If Weber goes down, and Montana beats MSU, they're co-champs, and UM could find itself seeded. SLC Champ likely becomes the 4th team involved in the "West", and you either get CP-UM/Weber-SLC as your matchups, or CP-Weber/UM-SLC

Wofford-SC State looks pretty well sewn up as well. I realize SC State is closer to Boone, but it's the only school close to Wofford, plus ASU has VA schools nearby (and maybe EKU also)

If UTM wins the OVC, they'll face SIU, easy. If it's EKU, then they could get sent to App, and SIU could face a variety of teams

If HC wins the PL over Colgate, they're going to UNH. Colgate is likely headed to UNH also, but I suppose Nova is a possibility

The core argument for this game to happen xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Don't discount Prairie View A&M.... at Texas State... if they win.

Note the geography there.

bandl
November 19th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Weber State is in Idaho?? Who knew!!! xeekx

Skjellyfetti
November 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I always thought Richmond (VA, not Ky.) was closer to you guys.

I thought Richmond, KY was a good bit closer... Just put the two into Google Maps...

Richmond, KY: 305 miles to Boone, NC
Richmond, VA: 314 miles to Boone, NC

That's pretty insignificant. xlolx I have no idea.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
If UNI Wins and SIU loses, SIU may not get in depending on what happens in the CAA and SLC..xcoolxSIU is in win or lose but this thread is about who plays where?

andy7171
November 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
No wonder the UM-MSU game is such a big deal...theres nothing else to do there xlolx

Don't forget hiking up Brokeback Mountain, they say your life changes when you've been up there! :D

Seriously, if William and Mary beats Richmond, I don't see how UNH can get in justifible.

mcveyrl
I thought Richmond, KY was a good bit closer... Just put the two into Google Maps...

Richmond, KY: 305 miles to Boone, NC
Richmond, VA: 314 miles to Boone, NC

That's pretty insignificant. xlolx I have no idea.

That is pretty close. I think you guys get Richmond and EKU (if they win) goes to SIU. I would almost think SC St. is headed to Boone, but I don't think the committee would pass up the Wofford/SC St match-up.

Grizzaholic
Weber State is in Idaho?? Who knew!!! xeekx

Looks to be in Utah, might need to get a stronger script for your glasses.

bandl
November 19th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Looks to be in Utah, might need to get a stronger script for your glasses.

If not Idaho, then I could swear that state is Wyoming. They are all the same out there anyways.

bandl
November 19th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Oh wait, I see that Weber State is in Nevada. My bad. xpeacex

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
If not Idaho, then I could swear that state is Wyoming. They are all the same out there anyways.

At least out here we can drive for 7 hours and still be in the same state, while on the East coast you can drive for 7 hours and be 3 or more states over.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
At least out here we can drive for 7 hours and still be in the same state, while on the East coast you can drive for 7 hours and be 3 or more states over.

I routinely drive 7 hours and am still in Virginia.

andy7171
November 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I recently drove 6 hours and went through MD, DE, NJ, NY, CONN, RI and finally MA! 6 hours 7 states. It helps pass the time.

JayJ79
November 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Unless you're caught in traffic.
In which case, you can drive for 7 hours and end up going about 7 miles....
(okay, so I exagerated a tad. but still)

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Unless you're caught in traffic.
In which case, you can drive for 7 hours and end up going about 7 miles....
(okay, so I exagerated a tad. but still)

You have more football teams on the EC and it would be nice to have regular access to that many games each and every week, but you can keep them with all that traffic.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2008, 01:33 PM

Would they put CP and the Griz in a first round game when they met in the regular season?

Khan4Cats
November 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM

The only way UNI is sent west is to a seeded team. Not likely that the #4 team in the country is matched with a seed first round. Plus, we will out-bid Weber State or Cal-Poly.

I think the deciding factor in first round match-ups will be the OVC Championship game. If EKU wins, they will get sent to Boone. If UT-M wins, they get matched up with SIU.

I think the winner of Liberty?Elon gets sent to JMU.
Wofford/SC State is a natural fit.
The PL champ gets sent to Villanova.

The 3 western schools, most likely grouped together. Whichever gets seeded will get either the Southland champ (if EKU wins) or the Maine/UNH winner. The other two non-seeded western schools get paired. (I'm assuming CP does NOT get a seed).

That leaves UNI & Richmond/William & Mary undecided.

I see. If SIU doesn't get UT-M, a likely match-up with the UR/W&M and UNI with the UNH/Maine winner, though that game's winner could still be sent west and the Southland sent to UNI.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2008, 01:36 PM
The only way UNI is sent west is to a seeded team. Not likely that the #4 team in the country is matched with a seed first round. Plus, we will out-bid Weber State or Cal-Poly.

I think the deciding factor in first round match-ups will be the OVC Championship game. If EKU wins, they will get sent to Boone. If UT-M wins, they get matched up with SIU.

I think the winner of Liberty?Elon gets sent to JMU.
Wofford/SC State is a natural fit.
The PL champ gets sent to Villanova.

The 3 western schools, most likely grouped together. Whichever gets seeded will get either the Southland champ (if EKU wins) or the Maine/UNH winner. The other two non-seeded western schools get paired. (I'm assuming CP does NOT get a seed).

That leaves UNI & Richmond/William & Mary undecided.

I see. If SIU doesn't get UT-M, a likely match-up with the UR/W&M and UNI with the UNH/Maine winner, though that game's winner could still be sent west and the Southland sent to UNI.

xpeacex I kid, I kid.

andy7171
November 19th, 2008, 01:37 PM
You have more football teams on the EC and it would be nice to have regular access to that many games each and every week, but you can keep them with all that traffic.

Diffrent mindset. Anthing over an hours drive is considered a hassle. You guys do that just visiting the neighbors.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM

I don't think UNI gets paired with a team out west, but in 2006 JMU was #5 (I think) and got sent to 4-seed YSU. After the seeds, a lot is about geography over ranking.

KiddBrewer
November 19th, 2008, 01:46 PM

is that a bragging point?xeyebrowx

89Hen
November 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM
You say this like it doesn't happen to anyone/everyone. See SIU at UD in 2003. xcoffeex

rcny46
November 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
so lonely on the west coast. Haha its 83 and sunny right now so i guess it does have its perks

Great.It's 31 here w/winds out of the north @15.Sun's out though.

19Duke97
November 19th, 2008, 01:57 PM
hmmmmmmmmm

home/visitors
jmu/elon
weber/cal poly
app/richmond
siu/ holy cross/colgate
montana/unh
scsu/wofford
uni/ eku/martin
mcneese/texas st /villanova

I don't think Villanova will go to McNeese/Texas State

Throw It To Ramses!!!
November 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM
So if Poly wins saturday, will the poly weber st game be AT Poly?

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Would they put CP and the Griz in a first round game when they met in the regular season?

They did it in 2005

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM

If Montana is on the otherside of the country where is CAL POLY???xlolx xlolx xlolx

phoenixphanatic21
November 19th, 2008, 02:01 PM

That is one thing I do miss about living on the West Coast. The weather was almost so nice.

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I would love to Poly to Play McNeese St. We can finally get that make up game

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Oh wait, I see that Weber State is in Nevada. My bad. xpeacex

I hope your joking??? Weber State is in Utah

Biff
November 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM

??????

Orangeburg is closer to Spartanburg than Boone is. Not by much, but it is closer. I would even say Spartanburg could be a half way point going from Orangeburg to SC State. And it's all interstate travel to Orangeburg.

I like the match up of SC State and Wofford. Geographically the closest team to SC State is Wofford. Also, it is an in-state game. It will likely draw a big crowd for both schools, although any game in Boone will be loaded.

Biff
November 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM

??????

Orangeburg is closer to Spartanburg than Boone is. Not by much, but it is closer. I would even say Spartanburg could be a half way point going from Orangeburg to Boone. And it's all interstate travel to Orangeburg.

I like the match up of SC State and Wofford. Geographically the closest team to SC State is Wofford. Also, it is an in-state game. It will likely draw a big crowd for both schools, although any game in Boone will be loaded.

Spoke
November 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Last year, didn't UNH have a dismal attendance at their first round game? Does anyone think that HC/Colgate has a shot at hosting a first round game vs UNH? In terms of revenue, I know HC would draw more than UNH.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Last year, didn't UNH have a dismal attendance at their first round game? Does anyone think that HC/Colgate has a shot at hosting a first round game vs UNH? In terms of revenue, I know HC would draw more than UNH.

There were 0 people at UNH for their first round game.

It was at UNI

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM
??????

Orangeburg is closer to Spartanburg than Boone is. Not by much, but it is closer. I would even say Spartanburg could be a half way point going from Orangeburg to Boone. And it's all interstate travel to Orangeburg.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Even more merit to this game occurring xthumbsupx

Houndawg
November 19th, 2008, 02:19 PM
You say this like it doesn't happen to anyone/everyone. See SIU at UD in 2003. xcoffeex

Amen, go 10-1 and get rewarded by being sent to the prohibitive NC favorite.

clenz
November 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM

I think there was about 17,000 people watching UNH in person last year during the first round....all of them in the UNIDome

Skjellyfetti
November 19th, 2008, 02:23 PM
??????

But, App State will (hopefully) have a seed.

It's my understanding that the committee seeds the top four teams and then decides on their match ups based on location. If that's true, it doesn't matter that Spartanburg is closer to Orangeburg than Boone is. For the SC State - Wofford matchup to happen the committee will have to decide to send Richmond or Eastern Kentucky to Boone.

URMite
November 19th, 2008, 02:24 PM
1 pod
elon/lib@jmu
wc@scsu

cp@wsu
eku/utm@siu

2 pod
ur/wm@asu
vu@hc/col

txst/mcn@umt
unh/umn@uni

sorry for abbreviations(phone!)

is the 400 mi by road or direct distance?

BlueHen86
Can't be. Utah is the Beehive state.:p

MaximumBobcat
Don't discount Prairie View A&M.... at Texas State... if they win.

Note the geography there.

I would LOOOVE that. Some good FCS football in the state of Texas between the only two conferences...wow, that would be killer. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

I know some have commented that PVA&M has no chance, but could anybody give any argument for WHY they should get in...the committee usually has a soft spot for HBCU's no? good PR I would imagine. Plus, just to get a SWAC school in would be good right?

Spoke
November 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I think there was about 17,000 people watching UNH in person last year during the first round....all of them in the UNIDome

Oops, yeah. Forgot they were away last year. You guys know what I mean though- UNH has a pretty paltry attendance record. Do you think HC has a shot of hosting if it ends up being UNH-HC? Holy Cross has had a mediocre attendance record itself, but I believe it likely they'd get at least 10k for the game.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I would LOOOVE that. Some good FCS football in the state of Texas between the only two conferences...wow, that would be killer. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

I know some have commented that PVA&M has no chance, but could anybody give any argument for WHY they should get in...the committee usually has a soft spot for HBCU's no? good PR I would imagine. Plus, just to get a SWAC school in would be good right?

They would have to be eliminated for the SWAC West title with the coin flip thats going to happen on Friday...otherwise they'll be committed to the SWAC Championship Game.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Oops, yeah. Forgot they were away last year. You guys know what I mean though- UNH has a pretty paltry attendance record. Do you think HC has a shot of hosting if it ends up being UNH-HC? Holy Cross has had a mediocre attendance record itself, but I believe it likely they'd get at least 10k for the game.

If that's the case, then yes, I think they would host UNH.

tingly
November 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Poly won't host an unseeded first-round playoff game until they get seating & attendance over 15000. 17000 is a better shot.

Say a bracket is UNH @ Montana, Poly @ Weber. If UNH & Poly win, Poly would host UNH since UNH's stadium has much less seating. Say the other game is No. Iowa @ Montana. Poly is the road no matter who wins it because UNI and Montana draw much bigger crowds into their much bigger stadiums.

I should think they'd fill brackets with the flying teams in a way that minimizes the chances of having a small stadium 2nd-round host.

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I konw Poly is for sure Bidding on getting a First Round HOME GAME. As for a the bigger stadium. Poly can only sit 11,500.. With extra stands brought in for the North endzone could push it to 12k. But I want to see what happens.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 02:35 PM
1 pod
elon/lib@jmu
wc@scsu

cp@wsu
eku/utm@siu

2 pod
ur/wm@asu
vu@hc/col

txst/mcn@umt
unh/umn@uni

sorry for abbreviations(phone!)
is the 400 mi by road or direct distance?I think they go by driving distance.

Thats's a really good matching! xbowx

I would change it to this keeping the matchups:

upper
elon/lib@#1 jmu
wc@scsu

cp@#4 wsu
txst/mcn@umt

lower
ur/wm@#2 asu
vu@hc/col

eku/utm@#3 siu
unh/umn@uni

Retro
November 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'm sure the NCAA will find a way to screw the SLC with another trip to Montana as usual. Enough of this regional geography crap.. Seed the first 8 and get it right!xthumbsupx

tingly
November 19th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I don't think there's enough small stadiums in the mix to give Poly a prayer of hosting first round without sponsor/booster money being a part of their bid. It wouldn't be the best use of ~$100,000, not that I'd mind. They could add what they saved from McNeese's cancellation and not scheduling a 12th game.

bench
November 19th, 2008, 02:50 PM
If Montana is on the otherside of the country where is CAL POLY???xlolx xlolx xlolx

Cal Poly está en México

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Cal Poly está en México

No...Te llamó es Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, está en México xlolx

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Cal Poly está en México

DUDE YOU HAVE THE BEST SIGNATURE!!!! I was just talking about the great Nintendo games and Mike Tyson's PUNCH OUT was one of the BEST!!

MaroonDoom
November 19th, 2008, 02:53 PM
EKU first round game = Martin TN.

BlueHen86
November 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM

Wisconsin.xlolx

93henfan
November 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM
DUDE YOU HAVE THE BEST SIGNATURE!!!! I was just talking about the great Nintendo games and Mike Tyson's PUNCH OUT was one of the BEST!!

I'm willing to bet if I played PUNCH OUT right now I could relearn every combo to beat everyone from Glass Joe to Mike in a day. Is anyone else with me? I wore that damn game out in the 80s and haven't seen it for probably 20 years now, but I bet it's like riding a bike. Once you got it, you got it.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I'm willing to bet if I played PUNCH OUT right now I could relearn every combo to beat everyone from Glass Joe to Mike in a day. Is anyone else with me? I wore that damn game out in the 80s and haven't seen it for probably 20 years now, but I bet it's like riding a bike. Once you got it, you got it.

I have had the code to get to Tyson memorized since youth.

007 373 5963

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Im with you!!!

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 19th, 2008, 03:00 PM

A ways South of the otherside of the country? :D

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2008, 03:01 PM
If that's the case, then yes, I think they would host UNH.

UNH got 13k for their last playoff home game, I believe.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Really?? I didn't think they could hold that much...

I stand corrected then.

bandl
November 19th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Can't be. There's only one school in Utah. Utah Presbyterian College. Right? xconfusedx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 19th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Don't forget hiking up Brokeback Mountain, they say your life changes when you've been up there! :D

If I explained the problems with this statement to you, this thread may end up in the wrong forum xsmiley_wix

BlueHen86
November 19th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'm with you. I had more problems with Super Macho Man and that stupid spin punch than I did with Tyson.xlolx

I wish there was a way to make the Punch Out fighters fight each other.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM
BACK on topic......................

Home team prediction:
James Madison
South Carolina State
Montana
Weber State
Appalachian State
Holy Cross/Colgate
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa

Upper Bracket

Elon/Liberty @ #1 James Madison
Wofford @ South Carolina State

Cal Poly @ #4 Weber State
Texas State/McNeese State @ Montana

Lower Bracket

Richmond/William & Mary @ #2 Appalachian State
Villanova @ Holy Cross/Colgate

Eastern Kentucky/Tenn-Martin @ #3 Southern Illinois
New Hampshire/Maine @ Northern Iowa

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12710&stc=1&d=1227127102

BlueHen86
November 19th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Home team prediction:
James Madison
South Carolina State
Montana
Weber State
Appalachian State
Holy Cross/Colgate
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa

Upper Bracket

Lower Bracket

Seems reasonable.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM

The box score for the 2005 UNI game (their last home playoff game, I think) says 8,448.

Also, I think the listed capacity of Cowell is 8,000.

Are you talking about the University of New Hampshire?? :D

BlueHen86
November 19th, 2008, 03:19 PM
The box score for the 2005 UNI game (their last home playoff game, I think) says 8,448.

Yeah, the one in Utah right?:D

coover
November 19th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Seed the first 8 and get it right!xthumbsupx

Retro is absolutely right!

coover
November 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Cal Poly está en México

Universitidad Polytechnico de California (must be in Baja?)

nwFL Griz
November 19th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Can someone explain to me why there seems to be absolute belief that all the western teams will be grouped in one pod? Meaning that if Weber and UM win their first round games they will play each other. After looking back from 1995 forward, this has only happened twice.

Personally, I think URMite has nailed it. No need to make any changes, and it provides for some very compelling match-ups.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM

8000 (or so) is capacity but crowds of 8k+ are not unusual.
We get 13k for home comming. Attendance was not what it could have been v UMass due to weather (and TV).

I think that given the chance UNH would bid based on a crowd of 10k.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Can someone explain to me why there seems to be absolute belief that all the western teams will be grouped GEOGRAPHY xrulesx

UNHFootballAlum
November 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Seriously, if William and Mary beats Richmond, I don't see how UNH can get in justifible.[/QUOTE]

If UNH wins they will be 9-2...you are dreaming if you think that an 8-4 Richmond team will get in a head of UNH

nwFL Griz
November 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
GEOGRAPHY xrulesx

Can you read at all? I just gave you evidence to refute your little geography thing.

Now I will concede it is possible the committee will see fit to bracket this thing like you have it, but I do not think they will.

coover
November 19th, 2008, 03:31 PM
[B]Cal Poly @ #4 Weber State

While I expect this to happen, can you tell me the logic which would place the #3 team in the country vs. the #4 seed?

Doesn't seem particularly fair to the #4 seed.

And when Cal Poly wins this game, do they get the 2nd round home game?

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I guess the reason for only seeding the top 4 seeds is because its our version of the B C S

nwFL Griz
While I expect this to happen, can you tell me the logic which would place the #3 team in the country vs. the #4 seed?

Don't bother, there is no logic.

You'll probably get the same statement I got.

mcveyrl

After the seeds (and in pairing the seeds), rankings don't matter. I point again to JMU going to YSU in '06. It wasn't a screw job like some of our fans think, it was the rules of geography.

Same thing would happen here. The second round game would depend on your opponent and your bids.

UNHFootballAlum
November 19th, 2008, 03:36 PM

UNH had over 14K for the W&M game this year. They are avareraging around 8K for the year. For a first round playoff game, UNH would have around 15K attendance.

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Seriously, if William and Mary beats Richmond, I don't see how UNH can get in justifible.

If UNH wins they will be 9-2...you are dreaming if you think that an 8-4 Richmond team will get in a head of UNH[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think that will be a hard sell for an 8-4 team to get in over a 9-2 team unless some of those wins are Div II

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM
UNH had over 14K for the W&M game this year. They are avareraging around 8K for the year. For a first round playoff game, UNH would have around 15K attendance.

Do you really think they would have more on Thanksgiving weekend than they had at homecoming?

Their previous playoff attendance doesn't show that.

bench
November 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
No...Te llamó es Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, está en México xlolx

Veo lo que usted lo hizo allí.

Sí, mi español es terrible. ¿Dónde está el cuarto de baño? Ése es todos los Español que conozco.

89Hen
November 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Can someone explain to me why there seems to be absolute belief that all the western teams will be grouped in one pod? Meaning that if Weber and UM win their first round games they will play each other. After looking back from 1995 forward, this has only happened twice.
Two western teams winning in the first round has only happened twice since 1995. xeyebrowx

GannonFan
November 19th, 2008, 03:39 PM

Personally, I think URMite has nailed it. No need to make any changes, and it provides for some very compelling match-ups.

Geography mostly only comes into play for some, not all, first round games. After that, it tends to be somewhat random. I don't think it's a sure thing at all that two of the 3 Western teams (Cal Poly, Montana, and Weber) would be destined to play each other in the quarters.

Retro
November 19th, 2008, 03:39 PM
GEOGRAPHY xrulesx

Translation: The NCAA is too cheap to put the proper teams againest each other regardless of location as they claim it's more "cost effective"..
HOGWASH!xrolleyesx
While it seems faIr to put the eastern teams within driving distance of each other, it certainly doesn't apply to SLC or BSC teams as they have to fly no matter what when playing each other..

The problem is that the SLC rarely gets to play a team within driving distance in the first round regardless of the home team because of this selfish pattern and not to mention put top teams againest each other in earlier rounds while lesser teams get easier opening rounds from time to time.

GannonFan
November 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Two western teams winning in the first round has only happened twice since 1995. xeyebrowx\

Well, geesh, you had to bring up that little nugget, didn't you??? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xpeacex

StrikeJMU
November 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM

of course its hot outside, the state is always on fire. xrolleyesx

nwFL Griz
November 19th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Two western teams winning in the first round has only happened twice since 1995. xeyebrowx

No, the twice comment referred to the groupings. Twice were they paired in such a way that they would play each other in the second round, if each won their first round game.

Sorry for the bad wording.

tingly
November 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM
The FCS playoffs might make a tidy profit, but NCAA is also trying to raise money for the rest of their budget, like paying employees or funding playoffs for no-money sports.

MaximumBobcat
November 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM

\

Well, geesh, you had to bring up that little nugget, didn't you??? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xpeacex

What? All these teams won their first round games.

95- McNeese, SFA, UM

97- EWU, McNeese

01- UM, SHSU

02- McNeese, UM

04- SHSU, UM, EWU

05- TXST, CP

06- UM, MSU

McNeese75
November 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I would love to Poly to Play McNeese St. We can finally get that make up game

xlolx So would I. That would mean of course we made it in :D (I'm not real optomistic of that happening)

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Can you read at all? I just gave you evidence to refute your little geography thing.Try reading the NCAA bylaws citing GEOGRAPHY. Don't know what the committee will do but keep your knickers from bunching already! xlolx
... the rules of geography...
Geography...

Retro
November 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
xlolx So would I. That would mean of course we made it in :D (I'm not real optomistic of that happening)

Dale, You've been hanging around Johnstonge too much!xlolx

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM
... if each won their first round game...As pointed out, that has been rare. xcoffeex

putter
November 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I'm sure the NCAA will find a way to screw the SLC with another trip to Montana as usual. Enough of this regional geography crap.. Seed the first 8 and get it right!xthumbsupx

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xnodx

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 04:26 PM
As pointed out, that has been rare. xcoffeex

So 5 out of the last 7 years. Trends do change.xcoffeex

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM
its all about the bid, whoever bids more hosts, doesnt matter the attendance.

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I dunno, thanksgiving weekend could keep it down.

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2008, 04:49 PM
If UNH wins they will be 9-2...you are dreaming if you think that an 8-4 Richmond team will get in a head of UNH

Yeah I think that will be a hard sell for an 8-4 team to get in over a 9-2 team unless some of those wins are Div II[/quote]
All 9 UNH wins would be Div I including an FBS win.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Two western teams winning in the first round has only happened twice since 1995. I was referring to this.

So 5 out of the last 7 years. Trends do change.twice in the last 12... but I think this year that two western teams will win in the first round xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 19th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Geography mostly only comes into play for some, not all, first round games. After that, it tends to be somewhat random. I don't think it's a sure thing at all that two of the 3 Western teams (Cal Poly, Montana, and Weber) would be destined to play each other in the quarters.

Montana and Weber can't play in the first round since they are in the same conference. Looks like CP and a BSC team in the first round.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 04:52 PM
So 5 out of the last 7 years. Trends do change.xcoffeex

Just like how the MEAC and OVC havent won a playoff game in almost ten years...xrolleyesx xcoffeex

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I was referring to this.

twice in the last 12... but I think this year that two western teams will win in the first round xthumbsupx

EDIT:

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Montana and Weber can't play in the first round since they are in the same conference. Looks like CP and a BSC team in the first round.I was thinking that a regular season rematch would be avoided so CP@WSU.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 04:57 PM
EDIT:Don't worry about editing, I have a screenshot xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yes, reading is fundamental. xlmaox
"Two western teams winning in the first round has only happened twice since 1995."

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Don't worry about editing, I have a screenshot xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yes, reading is fundamental. xlmaox

Good for you. Hope you like your picture book. For someone that claims to have me on ignore you sure follow me around.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Good for you. Hope you like your picture book...You turn every thread into a bitch session. Go away and let the football fans talk. xnonox xboringx

unigriff
November 19th, 2008, 05:01 PM

Firstly, UNI may still be getting a seed, and secondly, even if they didn't get, there is no way on this not so rich earth they play on the road first game.

Maybe you're smoking what Gray and Williams were?

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
You turn every thread into a bitch session. Go away and let the football fans talk. xnonox xboringx

I will ask you for your permission to post in threads from now on because you seem to know what is best for me.

Can I go post in the smack forum SE? I would also like to go post on the Brawl of the Wild thread in the Discussion forum.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Firstly, UNI may still be getting a seed, and secondly, even if they didn't get, there is no way on this not so rich earth they play on the road first game.

Maybe you're smoking what Gray and Williams were?Yeah, some teams get home games... Delaware, Appalachian, Montana, UNI, etc.

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I don't think UNI gets paired with a team out west, but in 2006 JMU was #5 (I think) and got sent to 4-seed YSU. After the seeds, a lot is about geography over ranking.

JMU was #6 in the final regular season polls. NDSU I believe was #5 but were playoff ineligible. #4 YSU got the #4 seed.

skinny_uncle
November 19th, 2008, 08:34 PM

seeds in green:
jmu
weber
app
siu

at-large/AQs in yellow:
montana
cal poly
wofford
elon
scsu
uni
richmond
villanova
unh

undecided AQs in gray:
eku/martin
mcneese/texas st
holy cross/colgate

1. Thanks for the seed. That would also assume we are winning this Saturday, because there is no way we would get a seed if we don't.
2. If SIU is seeded, they would host the OVC winner since UTM is the closest to them and EKU would be the next closest.
3. Cal-Poly vs. Weber looks like a no-brainer.

Saluki09
November 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Can't be. There's only one school in Utah. Utah Presbyterian College. Right? xconfusedx

xrotatehx I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, our education over here in the US should help the US, I mean should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.xrotatehx

skinny_uncle
November 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM
If UNI Wins and SIU loses, SIU may not get in depending on what happens in the CAA and SLC..xcoolx
1. SIU ain't losing.
2. SIU ain't losing.
3. SIU ain't losing.
xwhistlex

slycat
November 19th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Good thread.

But on the map showing the teams and where they are located. You have NWST highlighted gray instead of Texas St.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Good thread.

But on the map showing the teams and where they are located. You have NWST highlighted gray instead of Texas St.:o

slycat
November 19th, 2008, 09:05 PM
:o

Its all good, the Demons still have a ridiculously outside shot at getting in.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Its all good, the Demons still have a ridiculously outside shot at getting in.Here you go.........

mtgrizfankb
November 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM

On a serious note...this just goes to show the lack of quality FCS conferences out west.

Big Sky
Great West

Any others?

Your are so dumb, its not that the west has lack of quality. its that you guys get to play each other all the time cause there are colleges around. there are none out west. the GW does not have a auto bid and Bigsky is the only other Conf. which gets 2 teams in. so i would just go ahead and shut up

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Your are so dumb, its not that the west has lack of quality. its that you guys get to play each other all the time cause there are colleges around. there are none out west. the GW does not have a auto bid and Bigsky is the only other Conf. which gets 2 teams in. so i would just go ahead and shut up

xlolx i think i struck a nerve...xlolx

xreadx is fundamental

I never said that the west LACKED quality, the fact is that there are only two Western based conferences in FCS play, and that by definition give them "quality". The Great West Conference and The Big Sky. Thats it. Its not smack, nor was it intended as such...the cow-tipping part maybe xwhistlex xlolx but the main point was that being there was only two conferences in the Western half of the country, it makes for pretty poor travel arrangements for playoff games.

Mustang Man
November 19th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I don't think there's enough small stadiums in the mix to give Poly a prayer of hosting first round without sponsor/booster money being a part of their bid. It wouldn't be the best use of ~$100,000, not that I'd mind. They could add what they saved from McNeese's cancellation and not scheduling a 12th game.

You have alot of happy sponsors and boosters right now with the football team making the playoffs and the soccer team making the tournament.

Green26
November 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM
The 2 western conferences have consistently been ranked in the top 4 I-AA conferences since the Great West came on the scene. This did not include '07 when the Big Sky was down.

89Hen
November 20th, 2008, 08:27 AM
What? All these teams won their first round games.

95- McNeese, SFA, UM

97- EWU, McNeese

01- UM, SHSU

02- McNeese, UM

04- SHSU, UM, EWU

05- TXST, CP

06- UM, MSU
Like I said. Twice. xpeacex

appfan2008
November 20th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I would be happier with eku or scsu rather than richmond...

Houndawg
November 20th, 2008, 08:58 AM
The 2 western conferences have consistently been ranked in the top 4 I-AA conferences since the Great West came on the scene. This did not include '07 when the Big Sky was down.

That would be Top 5 FCS conferences. The MVC has been consistently stronger than the GW and usually stronger than the BS.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2008, 09:02 AM
The core argument for this game to happen xnodx

Yeah, and Hampton was close to JMU as well, but they paired JMU with YSU and UNH with Hampton... Don't expect the expected! xnodx xconfusedx xsmhx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Do you really think they would have more on Thanksgiving weekend than they had at homecoming?

Their previous playoff attendance doesn't show that.

You didn't do your homework because both UNH home playoff games in 2005 were announced at over capacity. And one was played on Thanksgiving weekend in snow squalls and the other on a bitter cold sunny December day. And to my eye, both games appeared to have as many people in the stands and standing as on the 13K Homecoming crowds. Don't forget how everybody low balls their attendance in the playoffs!

FTR, UNH average attendance the past five years has been near or over capacity.

mcveyrl
November 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM
You didn't do your homework because both UNH home playoff games in 2005 were announced at over capacity. And one was played on Thanksgiving weekend in snow squalls and the other on a bitter cold sunny December day. And to my eye, both games appeared to have as many people in the stands and standing as on the 13K Homecoming crowds. Don't forget how everybody low balls their attendance in the playoffs!

FTR, UNH average attendance the past five years has been near or over capacity.

Yea, but capacity is 8K. The guy I responded to said that they would have 15K on Thanksgiving weekend. The last attendance I saw was 8,448 for a quarterfinal game against UNI (where it was apparently a bitter cold sunny December day). That is 65% of 13K. People low ball their numbers, but not by 35%. I would imagine that whoever said that UNH's bid is based on an attendance of around 10K is probably right.

But, in the interest of doing my homework, enlighten me. When was the last time that UNH got a home playoff game without being a seed? I seriously don't know the answer to that question. FTR, JMU hasn't had one since '94, so it's not like I'm boasting about that.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Home team prediction:
James Madison
South Carolina State
Montana
Weber State
Appalachian State
Holy Cross/Colgate
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa

Upper Bracket

Lower Bracket

If Holt Cross makes it, then I believe it will be Villanova @ UNI or Montana. Holy Cross will host Maine or UNH. Holy Cross winning the PL could really make it interesting for the committee.

EDIT: Then again, if Villanova get the #4 seed, then they will get the PL winner regardless of who wins...

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 20th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Yea, but capacity is 8K. The guy I responded to said that they would have 15K on Thanksgiving weekend. The last attendance I saw was 8,448 for a quarterfinal game against UNI (where it was apparently a bitter cold sunny December day). That is 65% of 13K. People low ball their numbers, but not by 35%. I would imagine that whoever said that UNH's bid is based on an attendance of around 10K is probably right.

But, in the interest of doing my homework, enlighten me. When was the last time that UNH got a home playoff game without being a seed? I seriously don't know the answer to that question. FTR, JMU hasn't had one since '94, so it's not like I'm boasting about that.

UNH played App in Durham in 1994 (App 17-10 OT) I don't know if UNH was a seed or not.

Syntax Error
November 20th, 2008, 12:49 PM
UNH played App in Durham in 1994 (App 17-10 OT) I don't know if UNH was a seed or not.the famous Coulson frozen laptop game.

Syntax Error
November 20th, 2008, 01:23 PM
If Holt Cross makes it, then I believe it will be Villanova @ UNI or Montana. Holy Cross will host Maine or UNH. Holy Cross winning the PL could really make it interesting for the committee.

EDIT: Then again, if Villanova get the #4 seed, then they will get the PL winner regardless of who wins...
Hard to see Villanova hosting unless they somehow get a seed

ThreadStopper
November 20th, 2008, 01:48 PM

Big Sky
Great West

Any others?

How about just a lack of FCS teams? On the west coast there is FBS, Divison III and a just a handful of FCS and division II teams. Quality is not the issue. :(

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
How about just a lack of FCS teams? On the west coast there is FBS, Divison III and a just a handful of FCS and division II teams. Quality is not the issue. :(

Might be an argument of quantity vs quality here that could be made xnodx

tingly
November 20th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Or turn it around and say the eastern half of the country has a glut of low quality conferences and the west has none. :)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 21st, 2008, 03:04 PM

I agree with that too. And I think our history gives our AD the confidence to make that type of bid. I have a serious question because I don't know the Colgate attendance during their 2003 run and I don't think Holy Cross has any recent playoff experience to draw on. Can either the Colgate or Holy Cross AD confidently make a bid based on a crowd of 10K?

What I think is clear for UNH is that Thanksgiving weekend will not negatively impact attendance. And unless HC or Colgate dip into their coffers, I think UNH will outbid either. A larger question is whether the NCAA will give UNH a home game without being a seed. Not worrying about any of that until we win the game at hand in Orono though! ;)