PDA

View Full Version : Who Are The Sleepers?

Lapper
November 13th, 2005, 06:44 PM
We have a basic idea of who is going to the playoffs. Who will be the sleeper, like JMU last season, to turn some heads?

(To all Appies: we know we know Coastal will go 1 and out IF they can get by Chuck South :deadhorse )

DTSpider
November 13th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Why not the biggest surprise of the year...the Richmond Spiders?

Pretty good defense and one of the best athletes in 1AA in Stacy Tutt.

GaSouthern
November 13th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Richy has surely surprised me thus far, I wont ever look past any A-10 team thats for sure.

MR. CHICKEN
November 13th, 2005, 06:57 PM
LEHIGH!.................;).................BRAWK!

R.A.
November 13th, 2005, 07:00 PM
-SCSU isn't the same team that played Coastal and Hampton. They're going to be competitive versus whomever they play... I really want them to play Furman.

nmatsen
November 13th, 2005, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't be afraid to play USC in the UNI-Dome right now. Thats a hot streak. Our team isn't too bad outdoors either ;) ;)

SpiritCymbal
November 13th, 2005, 07:04 PM
-SCSU isn't the same team that played Coastal and Hampton. They're going to be competitive versus whomever they play... I really want them to play Furman.

That would really be something...considering they wont even make the playoffs..... :deadhorse

Lapper
November 13th, 2005, 07:06 PM

That was my pick DT. You boys have done a fine job this season and are still healthy, last I checked. Good luck with W-M next week and hope to see ya in the playoffs

NYSigma
November 13th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Hampton.....A lot of the posters here think that because their strength of schedule may not be good enough I think they'll be suprised how tough a team Hampton will be and....well lose!!!

FlyYtown
November 13th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Who thought except me and a few other Penguin Fans we'd have a great shot at the playoffs.

If we play at home like many think; we will be very tough to beat; even if we are on the road; if Heacock has them ready like yesterday; we will see some big wins.

YOUNGSTOWN STATE PENGUINS

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2005, 07:39 PM
GSU: I think a lot of people aren't expecting a lot from them but watch out, our offense is explosive and our defense is good at times to, even though most GSU fans don't give them enough credit. I don't care how many running you may have shut down this season, you haven't tasted a big running game until you have seen us.

Also,

Hampton: Hampton is as good as the '99 FAMU squad, and could get to the semis, if things go right.

R.A.
November 13th, 2005, 07:51 PM
GSU: I think a lot of people aren't expecting a lot from them but watch out, our offense is explosive and our defense is good at times to, even though most GSU fans don't give them enough credit. I don't care how many running you may have shut down this season, you haven't tasted a big running game until you have seen us.

Also,

Hampton: Hampton is as good as the '99 FAMU squad, and could get to the semis, if things go right.

-They're better then the '99 FAMU team, having seen both play... Hampton seems stronger, and more fundamentally sound.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2005, 07:53 PM
-They're better then the '99 FAMU team, having seen both play... Hampton seems stronger, and more fundamentally sound.

If that's true, then you will go far. Remember the '99 FAMU team was very close to making the trip to UTC to play us for the national championship.

charliej
November 13th, 2005, 07:59 PM

Also,

I'm sorry but I'm probably not the only one who has a problem associating the term "sleeper" with GSU. ;)

I think I'd have to go with Richmond as well.They seem to be on a streak and if they get in they could have the momentum to upset some teams given the right match-up. Hampton just might have enough to sneak up on someone too. Again,given the right match-up.

89Hen
November 13th, 2005, 08:14 PM
I'm sorry but I'm probably not the only one who has a problem associating the term "sleeper" with GSU. ;)
I'd call GSU a sleeper this year. Teams think they are down, but they're still pretty darn good. I don't think Richmond has enough to make it to the finals. Too many Montanas, GSUs, Furmans, AppSts, UNIs... teams that have been there before... for a reason. I can see UR making it to the semis, but that's it.

SCSt... no way. If they make it in, they are one and done... by a big margin at that.

Hampton... I don't think you could call an 11-0 team a sleeper. They will win one and then out in the Q's.

Coastal... same as Hampton.

ngineer
November 13th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Of course I am assuming we get by our nemesis this Saturday, but considering that Lehigh is only 2 plays (and one of them very freaky) from being undefeated, as opposed to the current 8-2 (and being from the PL) keeps us under the radar. The offense has turned into a juggernaut with defenses not knowing what's coming with Threatt at QB. Averaging over 40 a game, and that's with the throttle pulled back in three of those four. The defense has gotten stronger and is a leader against the run. The tools are there for making a lot of noise. ;)

Maroon&White
November 13th, 2005, 10:33 PM

Ya, that Tutt guy is pretty good.... :)

putter
November 13th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Personally I think the teams are very closely matched this year, top to bottom. Yes, there are the top teams but 16 will give 1 a good game and so on, and so on! The fun of the playoffs!!!!!

MiloCat
November 13th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I don't know if this is a sleeper, but I wouldn't want to play Southern Illinois again. They have one good football team. Whitlock is an absolute stud.

The Gadfly
November 13th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina

ngineer
November 13th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Sorry, but I can never call Georgia Southern a 'sleeper'. In any field of 16, they are always going to be feared. A 'sleeper' to me is someone whose in the field, but not feared.

LarryBoy
November 13th, 2005, 11:18 PM
The sleeper? Elon. NO ONE would see that one coming. :)

ngineer
November 13th, 2005, 11:21 PM
The sleeper? Elon. NO ONE would see that one coming. :)
I think the premise of the thread is who is a sleeper among those likely to be in the playoffs. Prairie View would be a bigger sleeper than Elon ;)
Of course, I reiterate from a previous thread, Joey Hetherton is my 'perfect sleeper.' (obviously dating myself on this one.) :D

GSUhooligan
November 13th, 2005, 11:21 PM
unless we get Hampton or coastal I think we could be one and done. We have no quality wins except FU, and we would'nt have that if we were not at home.

umassfan
November 13th, 2005, 11:27 PM
So this is a homer thread huh... well you will be shocked to see me pick Richmond then... that is if they beat W&M sat.

R.A.
November 13th, 2005, 11:35 PM
SCSt... no way. If they make it in, they are one and done... by a big margin at that.

-They won't get blown out. I'd put them SCSU over Richmond if they played right now. I like SCSU's defense, and on offense,the Bulldogs have some playmakers.
-The top tow teams in our conference, can play with anyone in 1-AA from start to finish. Anyone.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2005, 11:36 PM
You've got to be kidding. The 1999 FAMU team was a great team that beat an Appalachian State team at home in the first round that was a semifinalist the next year and almost beat Montana in Missoula. The Rattlers also beat a very good Troy State squad in the quarters and gave Youngstown State all it wanted in the semifinals. There was a lot of NFL-caliber talent on that FAMU team. The 1999 MEAC was also a much better league than the 2005 MEAC. FAMU was much more battle tested than this Hampton team will be. The Pirates will likely face Ricmond in the first round at home and will be one and done. If they couldn't win a playoff game with Jerome Mathis last year, why do you think they can with a less balanced team this year?

Mr. C
November 13th, 2005, 11:38 PM
unless we get Hampton or coastal I think we could be one and done. We have no quality wins except FU, and we would'nt have that if we were not at home.
The Eagles will be fine in the first round at home. After that, it will be difficult for GSU to overcome its defensive deficiencies.

youwouldno
November 13th, 2005, 11:40 PM
A "sleeper" implies a team that unsuspectingly will do well. CCU is not likely to advance very far.

I don't know if this counts, but I say Cal Poly, assuming they make it... could get pretty far.

R.A.
November 13th, 2005, 11:56 PM
If they couldn't win a playoff game with Jerome Mathis last year, why do you think they can with a less balanced team this year?

-So because they don't have J. Mathis, they are less balanced? I think over all, they are much more balanced then last year.
-Also what separates the '99 FAMU team from the '05 Hampton team, right now is the Quarterback play, fundamentals, and stregnth... but I like what Hampton is doing... using the strengths of two QBs while still using the leadership of P. Sheppard to guide the team.
-As for NFL caliber players- M.Dixon and J. Durrant will be in the NFL on defense. Dixon as a sophomore has the size and talent to be NFL ready(He was Vanderbilt bound). On offense Marquay McDaniel is filling in the shoes of J. Mathis nicely in the line of Hampton game breakers- Z. Smith, J. Mathis, and now M. McDaniel. Also on offense I like Alonzo Coleman. I think he can have close to a 2,000 yard season next year... He's been spliting carries with Ardell Daniels (Ardell is a more mature runner), but next season 'Zo is going to put on a clinic.

R.A.
November 14th, 2005, 12:00 AM
You've got to be kidding. The 1999 FAMU team was a great team that beat an Appalachian State team at home in the first round

- Saw that game on Tv by the way. If I remember correctly, the score was something like 44-29-- something like that (I'm not going to look it up). I remember the announcers kept talking about A. State's safety... he was supposed to be some real big time hard hitter... long story short... A. State didn't really look all that impressive too me.

Mr. C
November 14th, 2005, 12:19 AM
FAMU just put it to a good team that day. The safety, Corey Hall, made it to the NFL.

inpsite1919
November 14th, 2005, 12:21 AM
That would really be something...considering they wont even make the playoffs..... :deadhorse

Only time will tell.

golionsgo
November 14th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Assuming they beat McNeese, I'm gonna say Nicholls State. They run the option about as well as anyone I've seen and have an excellent mix of big, strong backs and quick, jitterbug types. The QB is huge and can run and will hit you with a deep ball every now and then. Defensively, they are physical and have a lot of team speed.

I don't know if they can make it all the way to Chattanooga but I sure as heck wouldn't want to draw them in the first round.

blur2005
November 14th, 2005, 01:40 AM
I'm placing my bets on UNI. They are way too much like JMU last year for me to ignore them. Semi-finals at least. Eric Sanders has Rascati's playmaking ability and then some.

FlyYtown
November 14th, 2005, 05:40 AM
I'm placing my bets on UNI. They are way too much like JMU last year for me to ignore them. Semi-finals at least. Eric Sanders has Rascati's playmaking ability and then some.
I see what you say but if they won't play at home; they won't win.. That looks to be the same for the Penguins but they played pretty well this year on the road; they were in both GFC Games; SIU-UNI; into the 4th quarter. YSU is 6-0 at home and looks like UNI will finish 6-0 at home as well.

rokamortis
November 14th, 2005, 06:31 AM
A "sleeper" implies a team that unsuspectingly will do well. CCU is not likely to advance very far.

That is exactly what a sleeper is. A team you don't expect to do well but does. JMU was a sleeper last year. By your own definition CCU could be a sleeper if they do well along with Hampton or E Ill. I don't think there are many more teams that people don't expect to do well.

LarryBoy
November 14th, 2005, 07:32 AM
I think the premise of the thread is who is a sleeper among those likely to be in the playoffs.

Yes. I realize that.

AppGuy04
November 14th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Technically speaking, anyone that is not seeded could be a sleeper

They seed 4 teams because those 4 teams are deemed deserving, so the other 12 are gunning them

fuEMO
November 14th, 2005, 07:44 AM

I've always enjoyed this rivalry, too bad it hasn't been renewed. Man they used to get after it in Orangeburg but times have changed. Be careful what you wish for, I just don't see a good matchup for the Bulldogs against the Dins.

youwouldno
November 14th, 2005, 08:35 AM
That is exactly what a sleeper is. A team you don't expect to do well but does. JMU was a sleeper last year. By your own definition CCU could be a sleeper if they do well along with Hampton or E Ill. I don't think there are many more teams that people don't expect to do well.

Not how I've always thought of it. A sleeper is a team thats underrated, which is why they're below the radar. I don't think Coastal is underrated.

It would be very surprising if CCU did well but sleeper status is a bit too much.

Hamptongal
November 14th, 2005, 08:48 AM
You've got to be kidding. The 1999 FAMU team was a great team that beat an Appalachian State team at home in the first round that was a semifinalist the next year and almost beat Montana in Missoula. The Rattlers also beat a very good Troy State squad in the quarters and gave Youngstown State all it wanted in the semifinals. There was a lot of NFL-caliber talent on that FAMU team. The 1999 MEAC was also a much better league than the 2005 MEAC. FAMU was much more battle tested than this Hampton team will be. The Pirates will likely face Ricmond in the first round at home and will be one and done. If they couldn't win a playoff game with Jerome Mathis last year, why do you think they can with a less balanced team this year?
I'm gonna have to go with RA on this one, and say that they are overall a far more balanced team IMO (offense and defense). I know that you are referring to run v. pass but I think that type of balance is overrated sometimes, especially on the college level. I think that we saw a shift in the balance in this last game against FAMU where Princeton Shepard had some greatly improved #s. Granted, most of his passes were short but that was what worked so well, they were passes to the outside because the defense was playing to the run. I agree that Hampton has to make a few more adjustments to their offense and it is late in the year to do it, but we saw a lot of adjustments made on Saturday vs. FAMU. The thing that will kill Hampton, if they continue with it, is their penalties. They make THE DUMBEST MISTAKES. A better team than what they have competed against will be able to capitalize off these mistakes. There is plenty of NFL talent on this Hampton team, and I'm not going to repeat what RA said because he already named most of the names that I would, not to mention such a great kicking game, as far punting, kick-offs and field goals. If an 11-0 team could be a sleeper Hampton might be considered one, if they don't kill themselves with penalties. Their own worst enemy is themselves and the yards they give away by absolutely POP Warner mistakes, like reacting to verbal cues by the opposing QB.

txstatebobcat
November 14th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Assuming they beat McNeese, I'm gonna say Nicholls State. They run the option about as well as anyone I've seen and have an excellent mix of big, strong backs and quick, jitterbug types. The QB is huge and can run and will hit you with a deep ball every now and then. Defensively, they are physical and have a lot of team speed.

I don't know if they can make it all the way to Chattanooga but I sure as heck wouldn't want to draw them in the first round.

Amen!! Everything golionsgo said is the absolute truth. The only team that even came close to containing the Nicholls State option was North Dakota State, and the colonels still ran for 245 yards. This is a team that could very easily be 7-1 right now.

Most everyone here overlooks the colonels in their playoff predictions. If there is truly one team flying under the radar, its got to be Nicholls St.

ysubigred
November 14th, 2005, 11:42 AM
If that's true, then you will go far. Remember the '99 FAMU team was very close to making the trip to UTC to play us for the national championship.

I remember the 99 FAMU YSU game well. FAMU should have won. Instead of trying to score with a few mins left Coach Billy Joe had his QB try a pass into the end zone which got picked by Timmy J and the rest is history. Maybe FAMU could have slowed old AP down :eek: He looked good yesterday in the SF game.

Spider
November 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM
That was my pick DT. You boys have done a fine job this season and are still healthy, last I checked. Good luck with W-M next week and hope to see ya in the playoffs
Thanks guys for your vote of confidence. We've got to get by an always tough W&M group before we can move on. Spidah's have been playing good ball this year in all phases of the game, but Tutt is the 'key'. If he stays healthy, anything is possible.......

Pard94
November 14th, 2005, 02:15 PM

Or for that matter...Lafayette, who beat the Spiders!

LacesOut
November 14th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Teams with solid defenses. And good offenses. And decent special teams.

Teams that can throw the ball. Or run it well.

Teams that can shut the run down. Or stop the pass.

These are the sleeper teams.

LMAO

ysubigred
November 14th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Teams with solid defenses. And good offenses. And decent special teams.

Teams that can throw the ball. Or run it well.

Teams that can shut the run down. Or stop the pass.

These are the sleeper teams.

LMAO

Ummmmmm.... You just described the Penguins. Did I mention they were projected to be finishing last in the GFC by preseason poll's?

LacesOut
November 14th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Ummmmmm.... You just described the Penguins. Did I mention they were projected to be finishing last in the GFC by preseason poll's?

I did?? Cool. They making the playoffs this season?? I would like to see them back in the Tournament.

Oh, did I mention, as I'm sure you know, polls are stupid and pointless?? Especially pre-season?? Especially when the Championship is determined on the field, and not by voters. JMO

Spider
November 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM
We'd like to take that one over with Tutt at QB.....

SwoopEWU
November 14th, 2005, 04:33 PM
The eagles are my #1 sleeper, that is if the cats can pull out a victory at home against the Grizz giving Eastern the auto-bid in the Big-Sky. The Eagle D is finally starting to get a few more healthy bodies out there and played like it on saturday against MSU. Even if the Defense doesn't show up E. Meyer is awfully tough in big time pressure games take last years trip to Souther Illinois as a fine example. Obviously my opinion is a little biased but what can you do I am sure there are plenty of people who would agree that the Eagles in the playoffs is going mean a couple early exits for some awfully good teams....GO get em' Bobcats

OL FU
November 14th, 2005, 04:37 PM

I would like this one. Lots of games in between but there is a little 1982 playoff revenge that would work for me. Yes, some of us have long memories.

GrizSweeper
November 14th, 2005, 05:41 PM
The eagles are my #1 sleeper, that is if the cats can pull out a victory at home against the Grizz giving Eastern the auto-bid in the Big-Sky. The Eagle D is finally starting to get a few more healthy bodies out there and played like it on saturday against MSU. Even if the Defense doesn't show up E. Meyer is awfully tough in big time pressure games take last years trip to Souther Illinois as a fine example. Obviously my opinion is a little biased but what can you do I am sure there are plenty of people who would agree that the Eagles in the playoffs is going mean a couple early exits for some awfully good teams....

I'll have to agree with you here, if EWU gets in (which I hope they dont) they will definitely turn some heads, I could see them in the semis and if their defense holds up they could have a shot at it all, too bad they wont be going though, GO GRIZ

November 14th, 2005, 06:01 PM
...Did I mention they were projected to be finishing last in the GFC by preseason poll's?Well, I-AA.org Magazine picked them fifth in the GFC.

bigchocolate
November 14th, 2005, 06:45 PM

This Current Hampton team has 2 possibly 3 NFL players on it. This team is stronger than the 1999 FAMU team. Stronger defensively, Strong running game but not as strong passing the ball.

ngineer
November 14th, 2005, 07:33 PM

The premise is picking 'sleepers' who are expected to be in the playoffs. ;) :D

(Couldn't help it!!!)

DTSpider
November 14th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Well, I-AA.org Magazine picked them fifth in the GFC.

The same I-AA.org magazine that picked Richmond to finish dead last in the A10?

ysubigred
November 14th, 2005, 08:40 PM
The same I-AA.org magazine that picked Richmond to finish dead last in the A10?

Hey Spider,

How about a rematch for that 00 game? This time in the Ice Castle. I was at the 00 game in Richmond and the weather sucked :) Just think two preseason dead beets meeting in the playoff's :shakingma

DTSpider
November 14th, 2005, 09:01 PM
That 2000 game was amazing. Glad that you made it. That was by far the most cold and wet I've ever been. A rematch would be great...just not in the first round ;)

ysubigred
November 15th, 2005, 07:15 AM
That 2000 game was amazing. Glad that you made it. That was by far the most cold and wet I've ever been. A rematch would be great...just not in the first round ;)

Yeah!! Let's take out some of the heavy weights in the 1st round :)

ButlerGSU
November 15th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I think Georgia Southern has to be considered a sleeper this year. After back to back upsets early in the season we are lucky to even make the playoffs. We're a very young team but we seem to be clicking more each week.