PDA

View Full Version : JMU's Brandon May Return

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2008, 09:06 AM
This would be huge for JMU if Brandon could effectively play with the knee injury, but I doubt it.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=33383&CHID=3&sub=

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Yea, I put my comments on another thred.

I hope for one that he doesn't do any permanent damage. He has a long life away from football to worry about. Secondly, and much less important, I don't want him to be slow.

He is a great field general though.

andy7171
November 19th, 2008, 09:25 AM
It can't get worse, the ACL that is. Worst thing that can happen I guess is he tears the MCL or PCL if he slips or gets hit. He's going to have surgery anyway.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 09:26 AM
It can't get worse, the ACL that is. Worst thing that can happen I guess is he tears the MCL or PCL if he slips or gets hit. He's going to have surgery anyway.

I've never had an ACL or MCL tear. I understand that you can still operate on it pretty well (he was playing 3 on 3 basketball!), but what effect will it have on his ability to move?

andy7171
November 19th, 2008, 09:38 AM
The way I understand it is that its more of a stability issue rather than movement or speed. The planting and stopping wihtout one of the ligaments would put undue stress on the ones remaining.

Hoyadestroya85
November 19th, 2008, 09:53 AM
it could also do damage to the joint surface which you would never be able to repair..
I hope Mickey does the right thing and keeps this kid out before he causes himself way too much pain

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 09:55 AM
it could also do damage to the joint surface which you would never be able to repair..
I hope Mickey does the right thing and keeps this kid out before he causes himself way too much pain

FWIW...

"He asked the doctors. As long as doctors didn't have an objection that he wouldn't further damage himself, then he wants to try it," Matthews said.

Article also said that the school had ordered a special knee brace for him.

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2008, 02:02 PM
The thing is, if it had happened 3 games earlier he could have taken a redshirt. The NFL isn't likely in the future for him. Maybe he'd have a good chance at the CFL or Arena ball if he wanted to pursue that. But Brandon said in the article,

"This is my last chance to play football ever," said Brandon, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee on Oct. 11. "... We've got a great team going. I want to be a part of it."

JMU could win the NC, or they could go out in the 1st round. If JMU makes a championship run, you can't blame the young man for wanting to be on the field for it.

If there much risk at doing permanent physical damage, Matthews shouldn't let Brandon play, even if Brandon says he is willing to take that risk. But neither Matthews or Brandon are doctors. As long as the doctors make Brandon and Matthews aware of the risk if any and ok it, then I don't see anything wrong with Brandon giving it a shot. Maybe he'll be able to play semi effectively, maybe he won't. But something you can't measure is his leadership as one of the team captains, his being the QB of the defense so to speak, esp to the other 1st and 2nd yr freshman linebackers, and the inspiration to the team his return could provide.

Brandon's situation reminds me of this story, although the degree of sacifice with Brandon is maybe much less:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2008-10-13-wikre-pinky_N.htm

South Carolina Duke
November 19th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Great for the Dukes and for Brandon. If he can play 3 on3 he has enough stability to at least try. I hope it is the right thing for him. Go Dukes

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/34703209.html
Also is video on it- the 2nd sports video.

19Duke97
November 19th, 2008, 09:48 PM
The only real risk is that he tears his MCL playing, in any case, they have gotten so good at this surgery, it's doubtful he will face a long term chronic issue from the injury. Anyone who has every played football realizes that most will feel the games years later, regardless of a major injury or not.