PDA

View Full Version : So who will get the lone 1st round ESPN game?

putter
November 18th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Reading the website it looks like ESPN will televise one 1st round game at noon on Saturday. Do you think they go with App as the defending champs or JMU as the #1 seed. I don't think anyone out west will get picked so what is your best guess?

GolfingGriz
November 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I would say not App till they have to cause of the blowout they got last month. Would a JMU home game be a good showing for FCS football(Crowd, atmosphere, etc.)?

Skjellyfetti
November 18th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Who knows. I wish they picked JMU-App last year instead of Delaware-Delaware State.

Turfwar
November 18th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I hope its not JMU, noon games are WHACK!!!

asucrutch23
November 18th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Would a JMU home game be a good showing for FCS football(Crowd, atmosphere, etc.)?

Yes.

TheValleyRaider
November 18th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Who knows. I wish they picked JMU-App last year instead of Delaware-Delaware State.

Yeah, but there was no way they could not have shown UD-DSU after the stink they made about it the weeks before xrotatehx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 18th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Only at night. I think JMU would be good, but not for round one. Although many changes have happened to JMU to improve it over the past 10 years or so, the press box remains one of the worst in FCS. That fact alone may guarantee no R1 TV game in Harrisonburg.

Of course, no one really watches ESPNU except that creepy guy in the corner of the bar.

StrikeJMU
November 18th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Would a JMU home game be a good showing for FCS football(Crowd, atmosphere, etc.)?

Absolutely not. You bring one stripper pole to a tailgate and the cops get all uppity. ridiculous.

Mustang Man
Cal Poly at Montana. Pipe dream, but sure would be nice.

asucrutch23
In case I can't make it back to MT for the 1st round game...I pray the Griz get it...although that sounds like a bit of far fetched wish.

If the time slot is set for noon ET, I don't see UM getting it either. If indeed they draw Poly, that would be one rematch I would not want to miss. But like I said, not likely to be on ESPN.

uofmman1122
November 19th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Of course, no one really watches ESPNU except that creepy guy in the corner of the bar.As long as he isn't switching back and forth between ESPNU and The Wiggles, I'm fine with it. xlolx

Go...gate
November 19th, 2008, 12:06 AM
How about Colgate/Holy Cross winner at JMU? I can see such a match up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2008, 12:12 AM
How about Colgate/Holy Cross winner at JMU? I can see such a match up.

I hope the NCAA would consider a UNH/Maine winner at HC if the Crusaders beat Colgate. HC i think could get 11-12k for a first round playoff game which is more than either one of those schools and probably a number of others, ASU, Montana, JMU exluded. Colgate struggles too much to draw to earn a home game. The only way they'll get one or two is via a seed.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Wofford at SCSU with a sold out stadium of 21K

R.A.
November 19th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Wofford at SCSU with a sold out stadium of 21K

Possibly.

ESPN and the MEAC currently have a great professional relationship together.

Dawson- Bulldog Stadium would be sold out for a playoff game, 20,000 plus.

Also, Wofford has been on ESPN this season already, so there is a sense of familiarity with the Terriers already this season.

ASU
November 19th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Possibly.

ESPN and the MEAC currently have a great professional relationship together.

Dawson- Bulldog Stadium would be sold out for a playoff game, 20,000 plus.

Also, Wofford has been on ESPN this season already, so there is a sense of familiarity with the Terriers already this season.

That would be a good game.

R.A.
November 19th, 2008, 01:54 AM
That would be a good game.

Wofford versus SC State would be a very exciting contest xthumbsupx.

inpsite1919
November 19th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Wofford @ South Carolina State University
Attendance Plus something no other (FCS) Team can offer,

The South Carlina State University Marching 101 Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpc4Nia_zCQ

xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
November 19th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I think Wofford@SC State will happen, and if it does, I'm betting that's the the TV game.

Native
November 19th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Wofford at SC State? You have all convinced me!

Let's hope espn is paying attention! xthumbsupx

th0m
November 19th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Yes that seems the most logic game, definitely. Of course, we all know ESPN is not governed by logic, so it could be a number of different games.

appstate38
November 19th, 2008, 07:20 AM
There should be some good 1st round matchups to chose from. I for one wouldn't mind seeing a Griz-Cal Poly game on ESPN.

AppAlum2003
November 19th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Yes... let's televise another first-round MEAC blowout this year. That sounds great. Good idea, everyone! xrolleyesx xshakingmadx

Cobblestone
November 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Reading the website it looks like ESPN will televise one 1st round game at noon on Saturday. Do you think they go with App as the defending champs or JMU as the #1 seed. I don't think anyone out west will get picked so what is your best guess?

It's all about ratings. Appy has (possibly) the biggest fan base in FCS, I say they get the tube time.

AppAlum2003
November 19th, 2008, 07:25 AM
It's all about ratings. Appy has (possibly) the biggest fan base in FCS, I say they get the tube time.

If that were the case, App would have gotten the first round game last year in the "Michigan Season."

B&G
November 19th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I think JMU gets the game to give them some face time. Everyone now knows who Appalachian is so ESPN will try to get some publicity for the "other" favorite to be in the championship game.

bandl
November 19th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Would the committee really make Wofford SCSU? If so, then I have to say that would be the best atmosphere for TV...

'Course, it all depends on what the match-ups are. So let's not get ahead of ourselves... xreadx

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Yea, our atmosphere at noon will not be good. I have heard that they are not opening up the dorms until Saturday, so any students would basically have to show up out of their cars.

I will be there, though. That ought to be enough for ESPN.

stevdock
November 19th, 2008, 07:49 AM
My guess is it is gonna be the closest game to ESPN headquarters in CT. That way the truck won't have to drive as far and they can save some money on it.

DLS
November 19th, 2008, 07:49 AM
who got the game last year?

(dont feel like checking)

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM
who got the game last year?

(dont feel like checking)

xbawlingx

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Yes... let's televise another first-round MEAC blowout this year. That sounds great. Good idea, everyone! xrolleyesx xshakingmadx

xrolleyesx

appstate1998
November 19th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I don't think they even care because isn't the first round over Thanksgiving and no stadium will be sold out and the announcers will be like the lowest on the totem pole anyways. They will probably just put all the names in a hat and pull one out. Then send out an email to everyone at ESPN seeing if anyone wanted to volunteer to call the game.

Expect to see Leeroy from the mailroom and Janice from Maintenance in the booth and Lester the janitor do the on field interviews.

God I hate ESPN when it comes to FCS.

xgiveadamnx

appmaj
November 19th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Does it even matter what the match ups are? ESPN does not always go with what most FCS fans would see as the best matchup. DSU & Delware was follow up for their "in depth" sports reporting earlier in the year.

19Duke97
November 19th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Almost certain it will NOT be JMU. The current stadium does not setup well for TV. My guess would be Montana v ? at Montana.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I don't think they even care because isn't the first round over Thanksgiving and no stadium will be sold out and the announcers will be like the lowest on the totem pole anyways. They will probably just put all the names in a hat and pull one out. Then send out an email to everyone at ESPN seeing if anyone wanted to volunteer to call the game.

Expect to see Leeroy from the mailroom and Janice from Maintenance in the booth and Lester the janitor do the on field interviews.

God I hate ESPN when it comes to FCS.

xgiveadamnx

so is life as the second fiddle...:(

what we need is a network that can be (if not completely) exclusive to FCS games...a network that wouldn't be afraid to bid for the broadcast rights of the FCS playoffs.

Versus maybe xwhistlex

It could work...Let ESPN have their BCS games that they loathe so much, put us on a network that will actually "give a damn" about our games.xthumbsupx

DLS
November 19th, 2008, 08:02 AM
xbawlingx

?

HensRock
November 19th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I think Montana has a good chance. If I were a TV exec at ESPN and I had to decide before the bracket was announced, I would pick Montana as the venue right now.

1. They will get a first round home game, as close to guaranteed as you can get.
2. Big, full venue
3. Best chance of being a competitive game with whatever team they send there.

They dropped the ball on #3 last year!

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I think Montana has a good chance. If I were a TV exec at ESPN and I had to decide before the bracket was announced, I would pick Montana as the venue right now.

1. They will get a first round home game, as close to guaranteed as you can get.
2. Big, full venue

Actually in the end it set up pretty well for the Fightin Joe Flaccos as they advanced through the playoffs all the way to Chatty. It made Delaware look completely dominant and prepared for their run.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=273270048

Black Saturday
November 19th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Yes that seems the most logic game, definitely. Of course, we all know ESPN is not governed by logic, so it could be a number of different games.

Very True!

Montana/CP rematch would be interesting to see.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 08:23 AM
If the game is already set at noon, it won't be a west coast game. The farthest they will probably go is 11 CST.

Sorry, ECB :p

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 08:24 AM
If the game is already set at noon, it won't be a west coast game. The farthest they will probably go is 11 CST.

Sorry, ECB :p

Maybe I missed something here, is it set for Noon ( which time zone )?

Black Saturday
November 19th, 2008, 08:25 AM

2. Big, full venue

What IF?... Let's not forget the fans saying that CP can leap frog to #2 seed if they beat Wisconsin, if that is the case then our currently hypothetical meeting of CP/Montana would have to be at CP.

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I don't think they even care because isn't the first round over Thanksgiving and no stadium will be sold out

I know that Montana's stadium is almost maxed out on Turkey Day games, is App's not?

mcveyrl
Maybe I missed something here, is it set for Noon ( which time zone )?

I thought somebody said earlier that it was. If not, then I think there's a good chance that it's a west coast game.

Grizzaholic
What IF?... Let's not forget the fans saying that CP can leap frog to #2 seed if they beat Wisconsin, if that is the case then our currently hypothetical meeting of CP/Montana would have to be at CP.

Teams that met in the regular season cannot play each other in the first round.

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I thought somebody said earlier that it was. If not, then I think there's a good chance that it's a west coast game.

Which Noon is it is what I am trying to figure out? P, M, C, E?

LacesOut
November 19th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Then send out an email to everyone at ESPN seeing if anyone wanted to volunteer to call the game.

LMAO, that's good stuff right there.

Regarding the game, please ESPN, show any team except App! Would love to see any of the Western teams that get in play in this timeslot, so hopefully the 12 noon kickoff is West Coast time!

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Which Noon is it is what I am trying to figure out? P, M, C, E?

It's ESPN. I always assume E. You can't spell ECB without E!! :D

biggie
November 19th, 2008, 08:33 AM
It won't be West Coast, since it is set for Noon EST. Really hope its not App because of that time, it sucks.

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 08:33 AM
LMAO, that's good stuff right there.

Regarding the game, please ESPN, show any team except App! Would love to see any of the Western teams that get in play in this timeslot, so hopefully the 12 noon kickoff is West Coast time!

Never mind. Posters before me beat me to it

beauvighn
November 19th, 2008, 08:34 AM
You can pencil in Appy or JMU for the first round game. I'm sure ESPN wil want to show either the #1 seed or the defending champions

Spoke
November 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM
IF HC beats Colgate and UNH gets in, I wonder if an HC vs UNH game in Worcester is possible. It would be by far the easiest trip for the ESPN crew to make from Bristol, and HC would draw more than UNH would.

DLS
November 19th, 2008, 08:39 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=273270048

now i understand.

omar really sodomized your team. hard.

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2008, 08:44 AM

The selection committee is pretty good about not matching teams in the 1st round that played during the regular season. A match-up that the selection committee would make in a heartbeat is McNeese-Poly for the first round.

appstate1998
November 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I know that Montana's stadium is almost maxed out on Turkey Day games, is App's not?

Not always....for some reason people like to visit family and such over holidays...I dunno beats me....

appmaj
November 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM
so is life as the second fiddle...:(

what we need is a network that can be (if not completely) exclusive to FCS games...a network that wouldn't be afraid to bid for the broadcast rights of the FCS playoffs.

Versus maybe xwhistlex

It could work...Let ESPN have their BCS games that they loathe so much, put us on a network that will actually "give a damn" about our games.xthumbsupx

xthumbsupx

If not a full seaon network at least one that could show the playoff games. Put us on one of the Fox Channels...If they can have a soccer channel they could have a FCS channel.

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Not always....for some reason people like to visit family and such over holidays...I dunno beats me....

What??? What is more family than 20k+ family members all wearing similar clothing drinking a beer and celebrating?

BearGibson
November 19th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I think App would be a good choice, mainly because Kidd Brewer would still have over 20000 in it the weekend after Thanksgiving...and, considering the weather we've been having in Boone it will be snowing! Who could pass up a snow game, with 40 mph winds, and a wind chill well below zero??? (yes, I am bitter that I had to walk to class at 7:45 this morning in this weather)

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I think App would be a good choice, mainly because Kidd Brewer would still have over 20000 in it the weekend after Thanksgiving...and, considering the weather we've been having in Boone it will be snowing! Who could pass up a snow game, with 40 mph winds, and a wind chill well below zero??? (yes, I am bitter that I had to walk to class at 7:45 this morning in this weather)

Move.

appmaj
November 19th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Freshman???

Welcome to Boone; Enjoy the weather untill April.

appstate1998
November 19th, 2008, 08:54 AM
What??? What is more family than 20k+ family members all wearing similar clothing drinking a beer and celebrating?

I thought you said full...20000 is probably about what we would have there....but I'm saying you know if we wanted to be full like say the 31000 that showed up for the wofford game

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I thought you said full...20000 is probably about what we would have there....but I'm saying you know if we wanted to be full like say the 31000 that showed up for the wofford game

Well there is usually about 1k seats open at Wa-Griz which leaves 22-24k people there.

Go Apps
November 19th, 2008, 09:01 AM
If you want to go with ratings it most likely will be ASU a bigger audience draw - but the mountaineers don't want to play a high noon game..

appstate1998
November 19th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Well there is usually about 1k seats open at Wa-Griz which leaves 22-24k people there.

I think we can both agree we have the best 2 fan bases attendance wise

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I think we can both agree we have the best 2 fan bases attendance wise

xthumbsupx

BearGibson
November 19th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Freshman???

Welcome to Boone; Enjoy the weather untill April.

No, Sophomore.

8:00 class was a late add...and bad decision.

I didn't have any clean boxers this morning so I had to free-ball, and let me tell you, it wasn't fun with the wind.

GtFllsGriz
November 19th, 2008, 09:17 AM
67 degrees here yesterday! Not that warm today though. It can change rapidly.

I do not see them showing a western game this early. The interest nationally would not be that high so why go to the expense that they would incure. It will be an east coast game.

joecooll6
November 19th, 2008, 09:20 AM
My guess: Wofford @ SCSU. They seem to like to put HBCUs on TV.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 09:25 AM
No, Sophomore.

8:00 class was a late add...and bad decision.

I didn't have any clean boxers this morning so I had to free-ball, and let me tell you, it wasn't fun with the wind.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

the things that you will learn on the internet...this is sig material right here xlolx

DX Man
November 19th, 2008, 01:01 PM
If SCSU got a home game, I think ESPN should broadcast it.xthumbsupx

DTSpider
November 19th, 2008, 01:04 PM
If Richmond can manage to beat W&M, I see Richmond playing Appy State. I think that ESPN would like to be able to say that it has a rematch of a 2007 semifinal game.

nmatsen
November 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Actually in the end it set up pretty well for the Fightin Joe Flaccos as they advanced through the playoffs all the way to Chatty. It made Delaware look completely dominant and prepared for their run.

You mean the fightin "why did UNI stop running the ball"s? advanced through the playoffs?

Seriously, its not as obvious but to me that blunder was as bad as TSU letting the game go to overtime in 05'. Both senarios the team that won deserved to win, but, just sayin. xbawlingx xbawlingx

BestOfBreed
November 19th, 2008, 01:46 PM

Technically, it's only teams from the same conference can't play each other in the first round.

dgreco
November 19th, 2008, 02:48 PM

if that is the matchup I think thats what they pick hands down.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
if that is the matchup I think thats what they pick hands down.

It will have to be a late afternoon game. Primetime? On a Saturday night? Maybe...but unlikely.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2008, 02:56 PM
It will be app no question. They have to think the playoffs is a different story.

GolfingGriz
November 19th, 2008, 05:05 PM
If Richmond can manage to beat W&M, I see Richmond playing Appy State. I think that ESPN would like to be able to say that it has a rematch of a 2007 semifinal game.

I doubt they want a rematch of that game...

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
If Richmond can manage to beat W&M, I see Richmond playing Appy State. I think that ESPN would like to be able to say that it has a rematch of a 2007 semifinal game.YEAH! Last year was so fun to watch and exciting!! xnodx xthumbsupx

slycat
November 19th, 2008, 05:11 PM
One freakin game? ESPN is a joke.

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 05:12 PM

They should show the championship game, so you will get 2 games. The rest will probably be shown on satellite.

GolfingGriz
November 19th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Pretty sure its one first round, one quarter, both semis, and the Championship. Thats 5 total with the other three quarters on gameplan. Honestly great coverage by ESPN. The three times we have hosted ESPN have been three of my favorite games, even the loss to UMASS was a great setting.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Pretty sure its one first round, one quarter, both semis, and the Championship. Thats 5 total with the other three quarters on gameplan. Honestly great coverage by ESPN. The three times we have hosted ESPN have been three of my favorite games, even the loss to UMASS was a great setting.

Wasn't UD shown in all four rounds? I remember watching the SIU game and obviously the Del St and App games, what about the UNI game or did they carry another contest?

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2008, 05:27 PM

Umass game was the loudest Wa/Griz has ever gotten

slycat
November 19th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I thought at least 2 first round games were on TV last year. I think one was the Griz game.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I thought at least 2 first round games were on TV last year. I think one was the Griz game.

Nope. Definitely not the Griz game. I believe only one was televised.

joecooll6
November 19th, 2008, 05:38 PM
If I remember right UD/DSU was on Friday, while UMass/Fordham was on Saturday. No Friday TV game this year then?

slycat
November 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Nope. Definitely not the Griz game. I believe only one was televised.

Must have been The UMass game. I know I've seen a Griz game on TV and it was snowing. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

coover
November 19th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Happened in 2005. Montana beat Cal Poly in regular season game. Poly beat Montana in 1st round playoff. Is history about to happen again?

coover
November 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM
The selection committee is pretty good about not matching teams in the 1st round that played during the regular season. A match-up that the selection committee would make in a heartbeat is McNeese-Poly for the first round.

Love it! Let's televise it.

matfu
November 19th, 2008, 09:21 PM
i vote the app state game

nutterlyattled
November 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I wish UNH could get a home game, but that will not happen for years. give me someone besides app state on tv, but to be completely honest i think they are the only team that will generate any money from viewers (outside of fcs) america fell in love with them with their win over michigan

Cat79
November 19th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Texas State at Montana on television

ESPN had three games at Texas State in 2005. They will pursue this game.:D

Retro
November 19th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Folks, all the games will likely be on TV Somewhere, be it ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN Gameplan or fox regional channels.... There may be 1 or 2 that have trouble getting on a national or regional channel, but most will be available somewhere as in the past.