PDA

View Full Version : BCS to ESPN starting in 2011

mtgrizzly
November 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM
What we all feared has happened. ESPN to start carrying the BCS games starting with the 2010 season. The same year the NC is moved to January. What a big suprise so we can look forward to all the announcers talking about the BCS game during our game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3710477

ValleyChamp
November 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Well I guess that means we can have more open slots for FCS games on the major networks. Right?xcoolx

Retro
November 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Maybe FOX will bid for the FCS game now?

danefan
November 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM
NCAA has a contract with ESPN for all NCAA championships and because of that they have a lock on FCS playoffs.

This does suck for FCS though, unless ESPN really promotes the week as Championship Week. Unlikely, but possible as it was ESPN's idea to play the FCS championship the night before the BCS championship.

EKU05
November 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I'm just thinking out loud here, but all sports on ABC are now broadcast under the ESPN name (both are owned by Disney). I wonder if all or some of those games will actually appear on ABC?

Edit: After reading the article closer I'm thinking no, but it was a nice thought. Kind of crazy that those games won't appear on a broadcast network.

Poly Pigskin
November 18th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I'm just thinking out loud here, but all sports on ABC are now broadcast under the ESPN name (both are owned by Disney). I wonder if all or some of those games will actually appear on ABC?

Edit: After reading the article closer I'm thinking no, but it was a nice thought. Kind of crazy that those games won't appear on a broadcast network.

Same reason MNF is on ESPN, almost everyone has cable.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
xbangx xbangx xbangx

MplsBison
November 18th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Same reason MNF is on ESPN, almost everyone has cable.

I pull in HD broadcasts with a 20 dollar Walmart set top, no gain antenna.

Damn right I don't shell out $60/mo. for digital cable.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
The Worldwide Leader doesn't care about I-AA. Expect the playoffs to be farmed out to discussion on ESPNU or ESPN 360.

813Jag
November 18th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Better move this before Syntax Error sees it. BCS = xnonox

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 18th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Better move this before Syntax Error sees it. BCS = xnonox

I'd say there is a reason to have it in this forum, it can effect the FCS side, but that's just me.

813Jag
November 18th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I'd say there is a reason to have it in this forum, it can effect the FCS side, but that's just me.
True, but have you seen his BCS rants?

stevdock
November 18th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Pretty soon ESPN is going to be too expensive for any of us to be able to get it. Between the 85 channels they have now and bidding for every single sport now, it's gonna be way more than any cable company can afford.

danefan
November 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Pretty soon ESPN is going to be too expensive for any of us to be able to get it. Between the 85 channels they have now and bidding for every single sport now, it's gonna be way more than any cable company can afford.

They've got all the money in the world behind them.....its called the Bank of Disney which as of the lastest reporting has $3 billion in cash sitting around. E$PN need not worry.

Syntax Error
November 18th, 2008, 08:58 PM
True, but have you seen his BCS rants?

Why in the world are you calling just me out about not liking the BC$? I think about 90% of the members here think the exact same way. xnonox Maybe you can tell us all how it is such a great thing? xrolleyesx

Footix
November 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I pull in HD broadcasts with a 20 dollar Walmart set top, no gain antenna. Damn right I don't shell out $60/mo. for digital cable.

Screw the BCS. Let's hear more on this topic.