PDA

View Full Version : West gets 3 seeds?

Grizzaholic
November 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I have asked this in 3 other places and got 3 different answers.

IF Montana, Weber St. and CP all win this weekend and App St and JMU both lose could the West get 3 seeds? Now no smack it is just a logical question. I don't see anything like it happening but if it does would the selection committee give the West 3 seeds?

andy7171
November 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM
If that happens, one thing is certain. I'll be drunk for a week straight!

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM

IF Montana, Weber St. and CP all win this weekend and App St and JMU both lose could the West get 3 seeds? Now no smack it is just a logical question. I don't see anything like it happening but if it does would the selection committee give the West 3 seeds?

I think this is the first time I've answered this, but I think it's certainly possible. You would be hard pressed to argue against it if it happened.

Grizzaholic
November 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I think this is the first time I've answered this, but I think it's certainly possible. You would be hard pressed to argue against it if it happened.

I know JMU has been on a tear as of late but would a loss hurt them? It seems to me that everybody has just penciled in App St. and JMU and the Big Sky conference winner in at seeds for 3 weeks now. Would a loss right before the playoffs trash people's perception of App St. and JMU or would the selection committee over look the loss because they know that if JMU and App St are both seeds that they will get paid from full houses throughout the playoffs and if Weber St. and CP get seeds they are not guaranteed full houses as long as they win? And don't tell me that money is never factored into the equation.

GannonFan
November 18th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Losing to Towson, of all teams, would put a huge black mark on JMU, no doubt. But this topic is silly because there's no way that JMU loses to Towson - I'd almost say there's no way that game is closer than 25 points.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I know JMU has been on a tear as of late but would a loss hurt them? It seems to me that everybody has just penciled in App St. and JMU and the Big Sky conference winner in at seeds for 3 weeks now. Would a loss right before the playoffs trash people's perception of App St. and JMU or would the selection committee over look the loss because they know that if JMU and App St are both seeds that they will get paid from full houses throughout the playoffs and if Weber St. and CP get seeds they are not guaranteed full houses as long as they win? And don't tell me that money is never factored into the equation.

Nope. If we lose to Towson, we don't get a seed. I think the same about ASU-WCU, too.

Grizzaholic
November 18th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Losing to Towson, of all teams, would put a huge black mark on JMU, no doubt. But this topic is silly because there's no way that JMU loses to Towson - I'd almost say there's no way that game is closer than 25 points.

Kind of like there was no way that Mich. loses to App St. Any Given Saturday bud. I am agreeing with you but it was a legitimate question though.

Silenoz
November 18th, 2008, 01:35 PM
If JMU lost I could see them only falling to 3 or 4. If ASU somehow lost they would probably drop out of the top 4. I can't see a 9-3 team getting a seed.

GannonFan
November 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Kind of like there was no way that Mich. loses to App St. Any Given Saturday bud. I am agreeing with you but it was a legitimate question though.

No, the chances of Appy St beating that Michigan team were significantly greater than Towson beating JMU. xthumbsupx

If we're going down this line of questioning, we may as well start a thread on where the National Championship game will be in the event that the International Space Station loses power and crashes into Finley Stadium the week before the game is to be played. xnodx

andy7171

Was it you who said that Villanova would win by 4 TDs and that Towson might not even score? xlolx xlolx

19Duke97
Anything is possible, but the likelihood of JMU and Appy losing this weekend are about as possible as any of us playing in a National Championship game...

appstate38
November 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Based on $$$$ probably no to 3 western seeds. But hey anything can happen.

andy7171
November 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM
No, the chances of Appy St beating that Michigan team were significantly greater than Towson beating JMU. xthumbsupx

If we're going down this line of questioning, we may as well start a thread on where the National Championship game will be in the event that the International Space Station loses power and crashes into Finley Stadium the week before the game is to be played. xnodx

Was it you who said that Villanova would win by 4 TDs and that Towson might not even score? xlolx xlolx

how does Towson/Villanova even make the list? Villanova will win by at least 4 TD's. Towson may not score a TD all day.

Sorry GF, a case of mistaken identity. :o

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM

that was a textbook trap game. Any game heading into a game that's rivalry game you're gonna overlook the next opponent (especially if they aren't very good)

Grizzaholic
November 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM
that was a textbook trap game. Any game heading into a game that's rivalry game you're gonna overlook the next opponent (especially if they aren't very good)

Will you please tell this to some Griz fans. After the ISU game they were back to calling for the entire coaching staff to be fired again.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Will you please tell this to some Griz fans. After the ISU game they were back to calling for the entire coaching staff to be fired again.

I thought Wolfie was banned? :D

We all have our bad days. I don't mind that one of them came against ISU, I just wish one wouldn't have come against Weber ;)

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM

I hate to have to quote a cheesy The Fast and the Furious but: "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning."
Some teams just have bad days, but if you win while playing on one of those bad days, that is a sign that you're truly a good team.

appfan2008
November 18th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I dont think they can get three seeds... I think at most only 2 seeds between cp, wsu, and um... uni can also get one which could be a third if you count them as west

TCisMYhero
November 18th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I might as well throw UNI's name out there for a seed as well. Here's to SIU losing to the Redbirds this weekend

tingly
November 18th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I don't think Poly is in the top 6. They'd have to beat Wisconsin or hope for more upsets.

th0m
November 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM

The difference being that we're NOT overlooking Towson, and their game last week with Villanova has shown us what they are capable of.

Michigan overlooked you guys and thought you were all just a bunch of panzies (which you are, of course, but that's a different thread xsmiley_wix )

jmufan999
November 18th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Sorry GF, a case of mistaken identity. :o

yeah it was me. but please, getting into the "we just barely lost to such and such" is the LAMEST argument ever. i heard some JMU fans saying that about the Duke game ("we were close at halftime"... who cares? we lost). i was wrong about the game being a blowout, but the bottom line is.... who won the game?

while we're on the topic, we JMU fans aren't just blindly saying we're going to win for no reason. there is history:

2004: JMU 31, Towson 17
2005: JMU 55, Towson 14
2006: JMU 38, Towson 3
2007: JMU 23, Towson 13

that's a combined 4-0 and 147-47 points differential. that's about as dominant as you can get. my opinion is that this year's team is the best at least since 2004, POSSIBLY better. also, we are 5th in the nation in rushing offense with 262.7 ypg. Towson's rush defense is 111th (out of 118), allowing 212.7 ypg.

when we are given a reason to believe that Towson has any chance, we'll start giving them some credit. so i will take the blame for being wrong last week about a blowout. i didn't watch the game, so i don't know how it played out.

since it's on the road, i'll say... JMU 41, Towson 21. if you think i'm way off, i'd love to know why.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM
yeah it was me. but please, getting into the "we just barely lost to such and such" is the LAMEST argument ever. i heard some JMU fans saying that about the Duke game ("we were close at halftime"... who cares? we lost). i was wrong about the game being a blowout, but the bottom line is.... who won the game?

while we're on the topic, we JMU fans aren't just blindly saying we're going to win for no reason. there is history:

2004: JMU 31, Towson 17
2005: JMU 55, Towson 14
2006: JMU 38, Towson 3
2007: JMU 23, Towson 13

that's a combined 4-0 and 147-47 points differential. that's about as dominant as you can get. my opinion is that this year's team is the best at least since 2004, POSSIBLY better. also, we are 5th in the nation in rushing offense with 262.7 ypg. Towson's rush defense is 111th (out of 118), allowing 212.7 ypg.

when we are given a reason to believe that Towson has any chance, we'll start giving them some credit. so i will take the blame for being wrong last week about a blowout. i didn't watch the game, so i don't know how it played out.

since it's on the road, i'll say... JMU 41, Towson 21. if you think i'm way off, i'd love to know why.

I'm not saying you're way off, but Towson only needs one group of players to play above their normal level to keep it close, the O-line. If they can keep up with us scoring wise if the O-line can keep our line from penetrating quickly on a regular basis. That's how we beat W&M so handily.

If the O-line holds up, they'll be able to pass on us. We will still score a lot of points, but they will keep it close.

I know it's a big "if" but that's how you COULD be wrong.

Khan4Cats
November 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I dont think they can get three seeds... I think at most only 2 seeds between cp, wsu, and um... uni can also get one which could be a third if you count them as west

I don't think UNI gets a seed if Cal-Poly beats Wisconsin.

A Cal-Poly loss and then we're in the discussion.

Right now I think its JMU, ASU, Montana, and Villanova for the seeds, though. UNI might replace Villanova, especially if the committee decides to go with 5 CAA teams if Elon loses. Note the "if's". If Cal-Poly beats Wisconsin they bump Villanova from the seeds and might jump all the way to #2.

already123
November 19th, 2008, 01:12 AM
As long as Weber gets a seed, I'm happy...

coover
November 19th, 2008, 02:30 AM
if Weber St. and CP get seeds they are not guaranteed full houses as long as they win? And don't tell me that money is never factored into the equation.

I have no idea how Weber State draws in Ogden, but I know that if Poly gets a seed and three home games, they will fill the Stadium each and every game. Earlier this season, they had a sell out for a Mens Soccer Game. The stadium holds (officially) 11075, so that is 33225 total. Now I realize that Wa-Griz holds a lot more and will also sell out each and every game, so, on a money basis, a game in Montana is worth more to the NCAA than a Cal Poly game. And I assume some of the better schools in the east can probably sell more tickets than Poly. Still ... for FCS football, 11075 ain't bad.

JALMOND
November 19th, 2008, 02:32 AM

If Cal Poly beats Wisconsin, they should get a seed, no question.

It would be interesting to see what happens. My opinion only...

1. If App State loses, JMU gets a seed win or lose. JMU has had a pretty solid season and the only way I see them losing a seed is if they get blown out by Towson, enough to create some doubt in the eyes of the committee (say Towson wins by 5+ touchdowns). If App State wins and JMU loses, I still say JMU gets a seed, unless Towson soundly beats them.

2. If both App State and JMU loses, it opens the door for Cal Poly, Montana, Weber State and possibly Northern Iowa for a seed. If all four win, I'd give the seeds as:
a. Cal Poly
b. Montana
c. Northern Iowa
d. James Madison
Weber State could creep up there if either Montana or Northern Iowa lose, or Cal Poly loses by more than 21 points to Wisconsin.

This whole thing is giving me a headache. I'm glad I'm not on that committee. The fiancee would call the wedding off.

tingly
November 19th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Key injuries can have an effect. Weber draws around 6500/game. Poly drew around 10000/game mostly due to the rainy game, tho I'm sure they'd bid on an audience of 11075. Seems like they put bleachers in the north end for a playoff game years ago.

bpcats
November 19th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I would give a seed to JMU, App State, Weber for sure. Isn't SIU going to get the auto bid for winning the Missouri Valley? Why wouldn't they get the fourth seed vs. Northern Iowa?

There is a difference between getting a seed and getting a home game. The seeds are awarded to the top teams regardless of their money situation. Home games are rewarded based on facilities and money.

I don't think that the west will end up with two seeds but I wouldn't argue against it. I would award Cal Poly a seed over Northern Iowa if they didn't win their conference. I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Villanova slipped in there for the fourth seed.

Native
November 19th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Nope. If we lose to Towson, we don't get a seed. I think the same about ASU-WCU, too.

For that matter, it is the same if Weber loses to Eastern Washington, or Montana loses to Montana State. No seed with a loss.

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I have no idea how Weber State draws in Ogden, but I know that if Poly gets a seed and three home games, they will fill the Stadium each and every game. Earlier this season, they had a sell out for a Mens Soccer Game. The stadium holds (officially) 11075, so that is 33225 total. Now I realize that Wa-Griz holds a lot more and will also sell out each and every game, so, on a money basis, a game in Montana is worth more to the NCAA than a Cal Poly game. And I assume some of the better schools in the east can probably sell more tickets than Poly. Still ... for FCS football, 11075 ain't bad.

Thanks for the insight. I will do a little more research before I open my mouth next time. I thought CP was drawing around 7 for most of their football games this year. Anything over 10000 is a good attendance number and will give the NCAA some bucks.