PDA

View Full Version : Resume Review

URMite
November 18th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I decided to summarize the resumes of the teams who have 1) 7 Div I wins (playoff eligible) 2) No non-playoff eligible (by performance not choice) losses 3) the possibility of at least 1 playoff eligible win.

JMU*…..….9-1……wins ASU, Nova, Richmond, Maine, W&M, UMass
ASU*.…....9-2……wins WC, Elon, Jacksonville, Furman
Nova…......8-2……wins Richmond, UNH, W&M
UNH….......8-2……wins Army, Albany, UMass, Maine
Richmond..8-3……wins Maine, Elon, UMass, W&M
SCSU*..….8-2……wins FAMU, Bethune-Cookman, Morgan State
Montana...9-1……wins Cal-Poly
Wofford….8-2……wins Elon
UNI…….....8-2……wins NDSU/SDSU winner
Harvard.….8-1……wins Lafayette
JSU…….....8-3……wins Tenn St
CP………....7-1……wins San Diego St, SDSU,Wisconsin
Weber St*.7-2……wins Montana
W&M….....7-3……wins UNH, Richmond
SIU…….....7-2……wins UNI, SDSU
Holy Cross.7-3…....wins Lafayette, Colgate
Maine…..…8-3.…….wins UMass, UNH
Elon……....8-3…… wins Furman, Liberty

Underline=Team must win to be playoff eligible
Bold=Contender must win this week

The Southland & OVC AQs will not fit this profile nor will Colgate if they win. Liberty seems the most discussed team not on this list.

Does this list seem complete and relevant?

danefan
November 18th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I decided to summarize the resumes of the teams who have 1) 7 Div I wins (playoff eligible) 2) No non-playoff eligible (by performance not choice) losses 3) the possibility of at least 1 playoff eligible win.

SCSU*..….9-2……wins FAMU, Bethune-Cookman, Morgan State
Montana.10-1……wins Cal-Poly
Wofford….8-2……wins Elon
UNI…….....9-2……wins NDSU/SDSU winner
CP………....8-1……wins San Diego St, Wisconsin
Weber St*.9-2……wins Montana
SIU…….....8-2……wins UNI, SDSU

The Southland & OVC AQs will not fit this profile nor will Colgate if they win. Liberty seems the most discussed team not on this list.

I'm confused on its purpose. Is the purpose for playoff analysis? If so, then why include Harvard?

ElonPride
November 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Well, if you went by the GPI
Elon wins v. GPI top 25: #14 Furman, #23 Samford, #24 GSU,

URMite
November 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I'm confused on its purpose. Is the purpose for playoff analysis? If so, then why include Harvard?

That's the problem with attempting to be multi-purpose. xsmiley_wix

I was mainly trying to determine a criteria (crib sheet) for at-large bids but also wanted to have it available for ranking and seeds as well.

FYI I forgot a footnote *=AQ

Does it seem reasonable that if your resume doesn't include a loss that couldn't be a playoff game and you have a win that could be a playoff game, you should be at the top of the discussion for an at-large?

Silenoz
November 18th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Ok, if those are resume building wins, then I think there needs to be some additions to Wofford, Montana, and Weber's lists

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM

Ok, if those are resume building wins, then I think there needs to be some additions to Wofford, Montana, and Weber's lists

Did you read the criteria for being on the wins list? Are there any teams on there that need to be added according to that?

I understand what you're saying, but I think he is including any team that COULD be playoff eligible (i.e. 7 DI wins) on the list.

Silenoz
November 18th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Did you read the criteria for being on the wins list? Are there any teams on there that need to be added according to that?

I understand what you're saying, but I think he is including any team that COULD be playoff eligible (i.e. 7 DI wins) on the list.

Those are the criteria for the teams in the actual list. Not the resume wins

At least that's how I read it.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Those are the criteria for the teams in the actual list. Not the resume wins

At least that's how I read it.

Then I'm confused. I read it the other way. That's why I assumed UMass was on there.

URMite
November 18th, 2008, 01:39 PM

I agree none are great wins, but I'm trying to build an objective criteria (one that a computer could understand) and both UMass and Morgan St will have 7 Div I wins (despite the quality of those wins) if they win this week. FAMU, B-C, and Jacksonville all have 8 Div I wins I believe. Did I miss an opponent with 7+ Div I wins for the teams you listed?

I may need to go the RPI route to weed out the above wins (Not just opponents record but opponents opponents record)...but still not sure since the PFL and HBCU schedules are so insular.

URMite
November 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Then I'm confused. I read it the other way. That's why I assumed UMass was on there.

I meant the teams on the left can meet all 3 requirements and the teams on the right are the teams they beat or can beat that allow them to meet requirement #3.

Black Saturday
November 18th, 2008, 01:44 PM

He's trying to justify URs invitation to the playoffs

URMite
November 18th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Close...:D ... I started out trying to determine how to evaluate the candidates for the last at-large bid. But you are right, I was prompted (and astonished) by the possibility that a 4 loss UR might be among them given the right circumstances.

jmufan999
November 18th, 2008, 01:58 PM

they don't need to justify a thing... they ABSOLUTELY deserve to make the playoffs [edit: forgot to mention, they deserve to be in AFTER they kick the crap out of W&M].

you'll find out how different UR is from last year when they travel to Boone in round 1. to say that their defense is better than Wofford's would be a huge understatement.

URMite
November 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Does anybody know the "nitty gritty report" from NCAA basketball? I've been trying to keep something similar for FCS the last few weeks. Now I'm attempting to find the best way to utilize it.

Poly Pigskin
November 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Cal Poly should have an underlined SDSU in their list.

Khan4Cats
November 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Montana.10-1……wins Cal-Poly
Wofford….8-2……wins Elon
UNI…….....9-2……wins NDSU/SDSU winner
CP………....8-1……wins San Diego St, Wisconsin
Weber St*.9-2……wins Montana
SIU…….....8-2……wins UNI, SDSU

While I like the list and it does give a picture, you should also include only the records vs D-I teams, as the committee is supposed to do. That alters the appearance of some teams' resumes.

URMite
November 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Cal Poly should have an underlined SDSU in their list.

Damn! I knew that and is why I didn't call San Diego St SDSU. xoopsx

IaaScribe
November 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Is Richmond in regardless of what happens Saturday in Williamsburg? I'm starting to think that way. If Richmond loses, the Spiders will be compared against Elon (9-3) or Liberty (10-2). UR has a much stronger resume at 8-4 than LU and owns a win at Elon.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Is Richmond in regardless of what happens Saturday in Williamsburg? I'm starting to think that way. If Richmond loses, the Spiders will be compared against Elon (9-3) or Liberty (10-2). UR has a much stronger resume at 8-4 than LU and owns a win at Elon.

The problem is that Richmond would be CAA team No. 5 if W&M is in with a win and I don't know if they'll do that (this also assumes that UNH-Maine winner gets in). I don't think the committee is going to do that with a bunch of other good teams out there.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2008, 04:30 PM
they don't need to justify a thing... they ABSOLUTELY deserve to make the playoffs [edit: forgot to mention, they deserve to be in AFTER they kick the crap out of W&M].

you'll find out how different UR is from last year when they travel to Boone in round 1. to say that their defense is better than Wofford's would be a huge understatement.

People are still judging us on our worst game in about 20 years....THIS JUST IN WOFFORD HELD A SOCON TEAM WITH A WINNING RECORD TO 186 YARDS OF OFFENSE WITH 53 HAPPENING ON 1 PLAY.xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Houndawg
November 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM
While I like the list and it does give a picture, you should also include only the records vs D-I teams, as the committee is supposed to do. That alters the appearance of some teams' resumes.

Cal Poly?