PDA

View Full Version : What you still don't understand about being ASU

bigappfan10
November 17th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I've been reading these blogs for two years but I finally had to officially become a member and explain things the right way as I never really see anyone focus on this point enough.
When you are ASU in football right now, you are UNC in basketball, you are the Lakers in the NBA, you are the Yankees, the Cowboys and on and on...in other words, there are two major similarities:
a) everyone dislikes you
b) you will get everyone's very best shot

It's so interesting to read on here where someone will say "yeah, but App only beat us by three. What about that?"

It is amazingly difficult to stay up week after week, knowing that you will be every team's biggest game, be the reason for their largest crowd, and in the process, see that team's best effort of the year.

That's why they slip sometimes and only win by a few. You just can't stay up week after week to meet that intensity of the other team trying to, in our little football nation, "shock the world".

Now, they also won't show their best effort in the first two weeks of the playoffs.That's been proven. So you better get'em then 'cause if they get to the final four, you can forget it. For example, Wofford is good. Granted. But when you get App on a big stage like Friday night ESPN, they just put it in a higher gear that no one else has and then next thing you know, you've had 70 dropped on you.

JMU has had a great season, no doubt. Congrats on the season and the early season victory over ASU. But just hope App gets knocked out early which is very possible as their focus isn't always there in games like that.

Cause if App gets to the final four, that means that App gets to Chatty and then, well...put it this way: You know the thing that makes ASU the most disliked team and the thing that makes you bring your best shot??

That thing is the higher gear.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I've been reading these blogs for two years but I finally had to officially become a member and explain things the right way as I never really see anyone focus on this point enough.
When you are ASU in football right now, you are UNC in basketball, you are the Lakers in the NBA, you are the Yankees, the Cowboys and on and on...in other words, there are two major similarities:
a) everyone dislikes you

It's so interesting to read on here where someone will say "yeah, but App only beat us by three. What about that?"

It is amazingly difficult to stay up week after week, knowing that you will be every team's biggest game, be the reason for their largest crowd, and in the process, see that team's best effort of the year.

That's why they slip sometimes and only win by a few. You just can't stay up week after week to meet that intensity of the other team trying to, in our little football nation, "shock the world".

Now, they also won't show their best effort in the first two weeks of the playoffs.That's been proven. So you better get'em then 'cause if they get to the final four, you can forget it. For example, Wofford is good. Granted. But when you get App on a big stage like Friday night ESPN, they just put it in a higher gear that no one else has and then next thing you know, you've had 70 dropped on you.

JMU has had a great season, no doubt. Congrats on the season and the early season victory over ASU. But just hope App gets knocked out early which is very possible as their focus isn't always there in games like that.

Cause if App gets to the final four, that means that App gets to Chatty and then, well...put it this way: You know the thing that makes ASU the most disliked team and the thing that makes you bring your best shot??

To be considered in realm of the Lakers, first you have to have a long history of success, not just recent triumphs. xcoffeex

Appylayshun State is more like the Boston Celtics of last year. A lot of special talent (AE/KG), but once that's gone, it's back to mediocrity.

Chi Panther
November 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM
ASU wasn't as dominating as you would like to think in 2005 Championship game.xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
November 17th, 2008, 09:02 PM
a) everyone dislikes you

You are THE MASTER. That is exactly right.
Thanks, I needed that!xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
November 17th, 2008, 09:03 PM
ASU wasn't as dominating as you would like to think in 2005 Championship game.xthumbsupx

Exactly, they were just finding themselves at that point.xnodx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Good post. I agree with the message.

If the Spiders are lucky enough to knock off WM and get into the tournement, I hope we are playing in the Rock at 1pm on 11/29.

I know, I know 'Be careful what you wish for' ... If anyone besides App and JMU are to win the championship, they are going to have to beat one of them at their house ... and they other in Chattanooga. Might as well get the 1st part over with!

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM
To be considered in realm of the Lakers, first you have to have a long history of success, not just recent triumphs. xcoffeex

Appylayshun State is more like the Boston Celtics of last year. A lot of special talent (AE/KG), but once that's gone, it's back to mediocrity.

Do you really think their recruiting pipeline is about to dry up? xconfusedx

SoCon48
November 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM

ASU's 2nd string QB played most of the game. Remember? xcoffeex xcoffeex

SideLine Shooter
November 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM

And the first string QB played with a bad leg the second half. He could barely walk.

ASU88
November 17th, 2008, 09:22 PM

I understand and agree with your main point of needing a long history to be mentioned with those other LONG TERM dynasties, but the above portion of your post is not entirely true. Our 2005 champonship was headed by Ritchie Williams, Jason Hunter, Marques Murrell. Almost a completely different team.

Silenoz
November 17th, 2008, 09:22 PM

We've been using this excuse for years xnonox

nwFL Griz
November 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM
That's funny....could've swore I read almost this exact thing being said about the Griz awhile ago....

gbhmt
November 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM
We've been using this excuse for years xnonox

Yeah no kidding, welcome to the life of a Griz fan for the last few decades.

TheValleyRaider
November 17th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Well, I guess it's a good thing none of the rest of us are ASU. Otherwise, you know, life would be tough xrolleyesx

Welcome aboard and all, but let's get serious here. 3 years ago today,
Florida A&M, Lehigh, Idaho State, Western Carolina, and Colgate all had more appearances in the National Title Game than ASU. Florida A&M, Idaho State, Eastern Kentucky, Southern Illinois and James Madison all had more titles

Oh, and before you compare team to the Yankees, consider this: If you were to randomly select any 4 World Series years, odds are, the Yankees won 1 of them, and possibly played in another. Don't believe me? Go ahead and try it. You want to compare yourself to the Yankees? I suggest you win a few more titles first

That's how you do arrogant xthumbsupx

yosef1969
November 17th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah no kidding, welcome to the life of a Griz fan for the last few decades.

Good to be hated ain't it?!xsmiley_wix

SideLine Shooter
November 17th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Well, I guess it's a good thing none of the rest of us are ASU. Otherwise, you know, life would be tough xrolleyesx

Florida A&M, Lehigh, Idaho State, Western Carolina, and Colgate all had more appearances in the National Title Game than ASU. Florida A&M, Idaho State, Eastern Kentucky, Southern Illinois and James Madison all had more titles

Oh, and before you compare team to the Yankees, consider this: If you were to randomly select any 4 World Series years, odds are, the Yankees won 1 of them, and possibly played in another. Don't believe me? Go ahead and try it. You want to compare yourself to the Yankees? I suggest you win a few more titles first

It is nice to have someone mention us in comparison with the Yankees.

93henfan
November 17th, 2008, 09:45 PM

Just don't sample the last four years.xlolx

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Welcome aboard and all, but let's get serious here. 3 years ago today, Florida A&M, Lehigh, Idaho State, Western Carolina, and Colgate all had more appearances in the National Title Game than ASU.Heck every team in FCS had the same amount or more of champ game appearances as App then because App had none even though they had been in the tournament 12 years. bigappfan10, nice imagination that everyone hates App (though it seems to be a theme among App fans). This is the national board, not your team or rival's board. We love FCS here and reading homer posts like that are amusing.

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Good to be hated ain't it?!xsmiley_wix

I'd rather be respected.

TheValleyRaider
Heck every team in FCS had the same amount or more of champ game appearances as App then because App had none even though they had been in the tournament 12 years.

I know full well how many appearances they had. My point was that the opening post was a rather self-indulgent dive into a fairly recent phenomenon. Appalachian State has had a great run, and I've been among the first to congratulate them on their success. But, as you and I both know, the level of success they are experiencing is an extremely recent happening, and while they should be proud of what they have accomplished (and could very well continue accomplishing), I don't see why we should take the time to remind the more boastful among App fans that there was a time when my school had gone farther than they ever had to that point xcoolx

TheValleyRaider
Just don't sample the last four years.xlolx

I said random xsmiley_wix

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Heck every team in FCS had the same amount or more of champ game appearances as App then because App had none even though they had been in the tournament 12 years. Typical koolaid post, welcome. bigappfan10, nice imagination that everyone hates App. This is the national board, not your team or rival's board. We love FCS here and reading homer posts like that are amusing.

Already getting off to a jolly start into ags isn't he?

yosef1969
November 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I'd rather be respected.

Sports hate= respect. I've hated (sports hate) Montana, GSU, Furman, etc for years!

yosef1969
November 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM

Maybe the New Enland Patriots is a better analogy? As a Steelers fan I hate those guys...but only because they've been tough to beat.

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Sports hate= respect. I've hated (sports hate) Montana, GSU, Furman, etc for years!Love is the answer. Love (not hate) = Respect xnodx

yosef1969
November 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Love is the answer. Love (not hate) = Respect xnodx
In all things not sports I agree but no way I'm going love GSU and Furman, well maybe love to hate them!xthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 17th, 2008, 10:03 PM
GSU has been there and understands, in terms of always getting everyone's best games.

AlphaSigMD
November 17th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I certainly hope that ASU continues getting everyone's "best shot" because if that suddenly changed, it would mean we are in a world of hurt.

The Lakers, Yankees, and UNC. Come on, lets get serious here. Even on the FCS level those probably aren't all that appropriate. In all fairness, I have heard ASU described as the FCS version of USC, but I don't think that is all that great either. On the other hand, Notre Dame still gets everyone's best shot, but they have been America's team since the days of Rockne. They are pretty much a non-issue these days (unfortunately) but every team still elevates their level of play to them. All in all, these comparisons fall short when it comes to the FCS and ASU because they are on a much different scale. ASU shouldn't have to justify its success by comparing it to another sport or team. It just is what it is. Nothing more or less. Lets just hope it lasts.

So what can we compare ASU to in a responsible way? How about Youngstown State. They had 4 championships and owned the mid 90's. But while we are making a few easy comparisons, we should also take away a few grim pieces of reality. ASU is up now...higher than we've ever been. But we can't believe we will continue to win every national championship from here to eternity (unless you believe in that whole Mayan calander thing - 2012). Not to hate at all, but I would classify a potential ASU decline as catastrophic if it were to ever progress to a Youngstown State level. Being just down the road, I have developed a certain homerism (this year) for the Penguins, but their fall has been fairly dramatic. I know, I know...we played them in the playoffs back in 2006...but that aside, they have done very little since J-tress left. This year at 3-8 is forgettable at best. I wish them a speedy recovery and hopefully a QB that won't walk out on the team mid-season.

Lets hope that ASU does not meet a similar fate in the somewhat near-future when Jerry Moore decides to retire. YSU had 4 national championships, so it's certainly not out of the realm of impossibility. Hopefully ASU will have at least 5 by the time JM has to make a decision.

I, for one, am COMPLETELY HAPPY to be in the position of getting everyone's best shot. So here's to many Moore <sic> seasons of being both hated by the masses a loved by the more important masses - the ones wearing black and gold!

Blue42
November 17th, 2008, 10:12 PM

Yessir. And UNI played with a sophomore 3rd string center who hadn't seen the field all season, who found out he was starting about 24 hours before the game.

Now you might say...sure Blue, but that's a center not a QB?

But you'll recall how App St won that game. If Sanders has another 1/2 a second to let go of that pass before it was tipped from his hand, even if it's incomplete, that thing may have went the other way.

yosef1969
November 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Yessir. And UNI played with a sophomore 3rd string center who hadn't seen the field all season, who found out he was starting about 24 hours before the game.

But you'll recall how App St won that game. If Sanders has another 1/2 a second to let go of that pass before it was tipped from his hand, even if it's incomplete, that thing may have went the other way.

It was a good hard fought game with lots of intriguing storylines. Met lots of UNI fans that weekend and found them to be good folks. Still my favorite ASU championship game by far.

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 10:23 PM
It was a good hard fought game with lots of intriguing storylines. Met lots of UNI fans that weekend and found them to be good folks. Still my favorite ASU championship game by far.Yeah, that was a great game with the defensive strip and TD winning it for ASU when they trailed in the fourth quarter, Williams limping in for the ineffective Trey near halftime, the freaky calls, and the newness for both teams being in the champ game for the first time. The UMass and Delaware games lacked that stuff.

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Love is the answer. Love (not hate) = Respect xnodx

completely disagree, but heck, what have i ever agreed with you aboutxthumbsupx xoopsx xpeacex xrolleyesx

yosef1969
November 17th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah, that was a great game with the defensive strip and TD winning it for ASU when they trailed in the fourth quarter, Williams limping in for the ineffective Trey near halftime, the freaky calls, and the newness for both teams being in the champ game for the first time. The UMass and Delaware games lacked that stuff.

Yep and the first one will always be special, particularly for the older fans. The UMass game had it's moments as well, that 4th quarter drive to salt it away still warms my heart. No smack intended but the UD game lacked the suspense the other two offered.

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2008, 10:34 PM
i got it figured........

GSU is the New York Yankees
App is the Boston Red Sox
Montana is the Atlanta Braves

and i guess you could say were a bit of Jimmie Johnson as well.

but Lakers, Yankees....not so much

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Already getting off to a jolly start into ags isn't he?

alexales cousin.......xoopsx

R3TRO
November 17th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Sports hate= respect. I've hated (sports hate) Montana, GSU, Furman, etc for years!

I think people just hate UNH... I don't know about sports hate... xconfusedx

Go...gate
November 17th, 2008, 10:44 PM
GSU has been there and understands, in terms of always getting everyone's best games.

Great uniforms, too.

Native
November 17th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Blah, blah, blah...xrolleyesx

Don't really want to understand ASU, just want to BEAT ASU. At least I'll give you that! xnodx The rest is...

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Blah, blah, blah...xrolleyesx
Don't really want to understand ASU, just want to BEAT ASU. At least I'll give you that! xnodx The rest is...C'mon! They are so DYING to be hated that they portray any and all criticism is a sure sign of App-Envy (recognize that Griz fans?). I won't go into the whole east coast bias thing that western teams use which is the same thing.

yosef1969
November 17th, 2008, 11:11 PM
C'mon! They are so DYING to be hated that they portray any and all criticism is a sure sign of App-Envy (recognize that Griz fans?). I won't go into the whole east coast bias thing that western teams use which is the same thing.

I don't mind the criticism when warranted and recognize the obnoxiousness of threads like this one. I've learned to take it all in stride at this point, one of the by products of 3 national championships I suppose. I do admit to relishing the envy.;)

Envy: painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage

Envy, much like hate in sports terminology. is not necessarily a bad thing...

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Envy, much like hate in sports terminology. is not necessarily a bad thing...Except when it is imagined and not reality. xtwocentsx

yosef1969
November 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Except when it is imagined and not reality. xtwocentsx

Envious are we?xsmiley_wix

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Envious are we?xsmiley_wixmy school doesn't have a football team so I am envious of every single school that has one. xnodx

yosef1969
November 17th, 2008, 11:52 PM
my school doesn't have a football team so I am envious of every single school that has one. xnodx

Aha, so since I am an ASU fan and I sensed your envy it was genuine and I wasn't imagining it! App-envy is alive and well indeed!xsmiley_wix

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Aha, so since I am an ASU fan and I sensed your envy it was genuine and I wasn't imagining it!Yeah, I have Iona-Envy. :p

Seriously, I am wearing a longsleeve 2007 FCS champ game shirt right now with a shortsleeve "Save Siena Football" shirt over it.

JALMOND
November 18th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I'd rather be respected.

To just be hated is one thing, to be both hated and respected is something else. I respect the Griz, their fans, their passion, their stadium. That doesn't mean I like them.

I'm sure others can say the same about App State, Delaware, and Youngstown (may be down this year, but still the same attributes that I see in the Griz).

Don't get me wrong, I have many friends who are Griz fans, and for the most of the year they are the best friends anyone can have. But, for one day, I have to put up with "MONTANA GRIZZLIES" shouted in my ear over and over again, and reminded every time they make a first down.

It says a lot about a program that can be hated and respected at the same time.

yosef1969
November 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I have Iona-Envy. :p

Seriously, I am wearing a longsleeve 2007 FCS champ game shirt right now with a shortsleeve "Save Siena Football" shirt over it.

Well you know how those Iona fans are, so arrogant and DIEING to be hated! You're just feeding the beast.

yosef1969
November 18th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I have Iona-Envy. :p

I chose ASU over a couple of schools that didn't have football. All other things being relatively equal, I felt then and still feel that it adds so much to the college experience that I wanted to go to a school that had football. I have been going to ASU football games since the 1970's, my second college game at the age of 7 was in Boone (first was Lenoir Rhyne) so this success is a long time coming for some of us. All joking aside I am enjoying the moment while it lasts and just trying to have some fun with it.

Syntax Error
November 18th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I have many friends who are Griz fans... It says a lot about a program that can be hated and respected at the same time.True. But I can say that I love all the FCS programs and wish them all well. I have friends of nearly all the programs that I have met in my FCS travels. Heck, I went with some App fans to a Georgia Southern game and got them to stop by the Red Flag Gang tailgate afterwards. I was with a UNI fan and MaineJeff at an eGriz tailgate in Missoula. I took a diehard Blue Hens fan to meet 'Nova fans in Newark before a game. Etc. It's a love we share, not a hatred.

crossfire07
November 18th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I don't think anyone hates App State for winning 3 in a row I know I don't but I think they do hate some of the posters that have allowed it to go to their head thinking they are the best, unbeatable, promising to win it all if they get to the semis not even knowing who is playing and on and on and all of that winning has made them not humble anymore. Years ago we seen the same kind of posters from Georgia Southern and Youngstown and when the winning stopped so did the posters and those that are left are pretty humble now. App State will be among those 2 one day simply because nobody stays on top forever and some posters will bail which nobody will miss and the good ones will stay and not get ragged for their downfall and another team will be on top and it will start alll over again.

WUTNDITWAA
November 18th, 2008, 05:59 AM
It is nice to have someone mention us in comparison with the Yankees.

I'd compare ASU more with the Red Sox. Georgia Southern with the Yankees, per my siggy. :D

th0m
November 18th, 2008, 06:25 AM

It's not the winning tradition for the last three years that gets your ASU faithful a lot of flak, but it's little nuggets like this that does. Why should we hope you get knocked out early?

JMU fans and players have been foaming at the mouth at the rematch following last year's playoff game. Many claimed this game was our 'superbowl' xlolx It was probably a bigger game for us. Another way of phrasing this, of course, is just saying we wanted it more xwhistlex Of course, it saves you a lot of face just claiming the other team gave it a better shot and lo and behold, they won. This will allow you to make consequent claims that you really could have beaten a team, but didn't really get to because you half-assed it. I seriously have never heard anything as ridiculous as the theory of getting "the best shot" of a team for each game. You play the game. Whoever puts up the most points wins. The end.

But that is all semantics. Fact of the matter is, here we are, one week away from the playoffs, and all ASU fans (can't really talk about your players) have been foaming at the mouth is a rematch with JMU...(see a pattern here?) Since the sunday following the loss, this is what you guys have been talking about. This sentiment has been picking up steam every following week, ESPECIALLY after your win versus Wofford. You know why a lot of teams 'hate' you? Because you've beaten a fair share of the teams on this board. That's the only reason. It is nothing personal, so please stop making it personal. And please, don't tell JMU fans to hope we don't meet you again. We'd love for nothing more than to beat you twice in one season. That and if we don't meet ASU again in the playoffs, I'm sure there will be claims that we'd be handed the championship because we didn't beat ASU to get it.

Me, personally, I'm thinking about the Towson game first, and the 1st round game second. Lord knows it's been a while since we won a 1st round game.

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2008, 06:55 AM
a) everyone dislikes you

Welp...I guess this means the we can go ahead and cancel the rest of this season and just make App State champs every year...we all better pray that they move up to FBS soon so they can go win multiple BCS titles on the "big stage of ESPN", because the rest of us just don't have a chance. We all might as well drop down to D2....xeyebrowx

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

In essence you are the very definition of a "bandwagon fan"

xbandwagonx

Welcome to AGS by the way xthumbsupx , and hopefully you will stick around the day after App State DOESN'T win the championship. This place can sure use a few laughs. xlolx

appst97
November 18th, 2008, 07:04 AM

The UNI was by far the most fun/special/great/memorable championship for me as well. The first trip to Chatt, the first big-time 1-AA gameday experience and the and the fact that the game was in doubt till 00:00 made for a great time.

****Warning...Token Michigan reference to follow....Warning*****

FWIW...App Beat UM w/ a Freshman center who was subbing for our 2 year starter (Suttle) that was out with a knee injury

appstate1998
November 18th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Appalachian State wasn't that dominating...you are thinking about Jason Hunter and our defense though, they were....UNI had to settle for 3 field goals...and 3 of your four scores you started inside the 50.....

Not to mention...which I thought was dumb we had a top 10 FBS school in LSU scheduled in November......I could understand the Kansas game early on but LSU in November????? xshakingmadx xshakingmadx

Plus as it was pointed out. We were still in the game with Trey freaking Elder at QB. We had a whopping 46 yards rushing as a team. 3 turnovers. And you still lost. Our defense dominated UNI when it mattered most, the final 2 quarters...which if my memory is correct....you didn't score a point.

As far as slipping after AE, it's already been pointed out that Pressley is looking pretty good. He doesn't have the AE swagger but he has the speed. Also, he's got a few good freshman targets in Ben Jorden and Brian Quick. Welton is only a sophmore and you may not realize but CoCo redshirted so he is only a sophmore as well. I doubt Pressley will be the starter anyways come 2010. I'm sure they will have found a freshman that wants to win 4 rings as the starter who will take his place.

OL FU
November 18th, 2008, 07:06 AM

Posts like this onexnodx :D

appfan2008
November 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Heck every team in FCS had the same amount or more of champ game appearances as App then because App had none even though they had been in the tournament 12 years. bigappfan10, nice imagination that everyone hates App (though it seems to be a theme among App fans). This is the national board, not your team or rival's board. We love FCS here and reading homer posts like that are amusing.

i agree with you se...

it is amazing how some app fans whine whine whine... wa wa wa

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Seriously?? I understand where you're coming from, but this is probably not the way to do it. I don't hate App. I live about an hour and a half away and wanted to make it over to a game this year. The only people I see that proclaim App hate are App fans (SE has said this in this thread, too).

I want to beat App like App fans want to beat JMU, but that's about as far as it goes.

And as cheesy as the last two paragraphs are, I have to ask: what gear are you in when you blow a 21-point halftime lead? :D xpeacex

(Right now I've got that voice from the cha-cha song in my head: "Reverse! Reverse!")

appstate1998
November 18th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Seriously?? I understand where you're coming from, but this is probably not the way to do it. I don't hate App. I live about an hour and a half away and wanted to make it over to a game this year. The only people I see that proclaim App hate are App fans (SE has said this in this thread, too).

I want to beat App like App fans want to beat JMU, but that's about as far as it goes.

And as cheesy as the last two paragraphs are, I have to ask: what gear are you in when you blow a 21-point halftime lead? :D xpeacex

(Right now I've got that voice from the cha-cha song in my head: "Reverse! Reverse!")

they threw it in reverse while going forward and blew their transmission

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 07:22 AM
they threw it in reverse while going forward and blew their tranny

:D

Nice!

By the way, I hope you mean transmission...xeyebrowx

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Nice!

xlolx xlolx xlolx

appstate1998
November 18th, 2008, 07:34 AM

Nice!

fixed for clarity...was still thinking back to an old Unsolved Mysteries show where the guy claimed he saw his wife being kidnapped as he was driving by and slammed his car in reverse while going full speed...

spdram
November 18th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Memo to ASU fans (and team) act like you've been there, treat your opponent with respect both before and after the game, you'll earn the respect you so yearn for.

blitz4
November 18th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Bottom line is that if App doesnt have AE, they are looking at atleast 4 losses and possibly 5. They better thank their lucky stars every night.

Skjellyfetti
November 18th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Bottom line is that if App doesnt have AE, they are looking at atleast 4 losses and possibly 5. They better thank their lucky stars every night.

I hope your not saying if App doesn't have AE, Wofford beats us. xlolx

appstate1998
November 18th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Thank you lucky starsxbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

19Duke97
November 18th, 2008, 08:07 AM
a) everyone dislikes you

That's fair, but expect the JMU team of the second half, not the first for the full 60 minutes as well. It would/could/should be a heck of a game if it comes to pass... Remember JMU has been down this path as well in 2004. And I'm not trying to take anything away from what ASU has done over the last 3 years.

The Cats
November 18th, 2008, 08:07 AM
a) everyone dislikes you

After reading your post, I still have no idea "What you still don't understand about being ASU" means...... maybe you over analyzed. xwhistlex

james_lawfirm
November 18th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I certainly hope that ASU continues getting everyone's "best shot" because if that suddenly changed, it would mean we are in a world of hurt.

The Lakers, Yankees, and UNC. Come on, lets get serious here. Even on the FCS level those probably aren't all that appropriate. In all fairness, I have heard ASU described as the FCS version of USC, but I don't think that is all that great either. On the other hand, Notre Dame still gets everyone's best shot, but they have been America's team since the days of Rockne. They are pretty much a non-issue these days (unfortunately) but every team still elevates their level of play to them. All in all, these comparisons fall short when it comes to the FCS and ASU because they are on a much different scale. ASU shouldn't have to justify its success by comparing it to another sport or team. It just is what it is. Nothing more or less. Lets just hope it lasts.

So what can we compare ASU to in a responsible way? How about Youngstown State. They had 4 championships and owned the mid 90's. But while we are making a few easy comparisons, we should also take away a few grim pieces of reality. ASU is up now...higher than we've ever been. But we can't believe we will continue to win every national championship from here to eternity (unless you believe in that whole Mayan calander thing - 2012). Not to hate at all, but I would classify a potential ASU decline as catastrophic if it were to ever progress to a Youngstown State level. Being just down the road, I have developed a certain homerism (this year) for the Penguins, but their fall has been fairly dramatic. I know, I know...we played them in the playoffs back in 2006...but that aside, they have done very little since J-tress left. This year at 3-8 is forgettable at best. I wish them a speedy recovery and hopefully a QB that won't walk out on the team mid-season.

Lets hope that ASU does not meet a similar fate in the somewhat near-future when Jerry Moore decides to retire. YSU had 4 national championships, so it's certainly not out of the realm of impossibility. Hopefully ASU will have at least 5 by the time JM has to make a decision.

I, for one, am COMPLETELY HAPPY to be in the position of getting everyone's best shot. So here's to many Moore <sic> seasons of being both hated by the masses a loved by the more important masses - the ones wearing black and gold!

Well said.

B&G
November 18th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Ugh, I don't want to be the Red Sox of FCS. I think the Chicago Bulls is more appropriate.

appstate1998
November 18th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Ugh, I don't want to be the Red Sox of FCS. I think the Chicago Bulls is more appropriate.

yeah me either....can't we be more like Rocky

appmaj
November 18th, 2008, 08:56 AM
How about being the App State of FCS football?????

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2008, 09:09 AM

Not unless you can figure out how to bring back AE in two years xwhistlex

Rob Iola
November 18th, 2008, 09:18 AM
yawn...

AppAlum2003
November 18th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Are you tired, Rob?

Rob Iola
November 18th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I've seen FCS/I-AA domination, and it's name was Marshall...

Black and Gold Express
November 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM

So, it was your center that couldn't block either Murrell or Hunter that whole game, and both on that one play in question, and not your tackles? And if I recall correctly wasn't at least one of them All-conference and possibly All-American?

It is sad that we'll never get to know how ASU with a healthy Williams would have performed in that game. He was a difference maker the likes of which we had not seen until Armanti came to town. And he was the soul of that 2005 team. Trey, for all he gave and gave up for ASU, was never close to the caliber of quarterback of either Edwards nor Williams. He was good, possibly very good. Those two were (and are) greats at ASU.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 09:38 AM
So, it was your center that couldn't block either Murrell or Hunter that whole game, and both on that one play in question, and not your tackles?

It is sad that we'll never get to know how ASU with a healthy Williams would have performed in that game. He was a difference maker the likes of which we had not seen until Armanti came to town. And he was the soul of that 2005 team. Trey, for all he gave and gave up for ASU, was never close to the caliber of quarterback of either Edwards nor Williams. He was good, possibly very good. Those two were (and are) greats at ASU.

And which team should you credit for knocking Elder out of the game with a late hit in 2006, ringing in the AE era????

yosef1969
November 18th, 2008, 09:39 AM

WE ARE...NOT MARSHALL!

Don't think you'll find many ASU fans that were around when Marshall was in the SoCon would like that comparison.xsmhx

DLS
November 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
i have a suspicious feeling that there are a couple people out there waiting for us to not make the playoffs and rub our kind, benevolent, humble faces in it.

Black and Gold Express
November 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM
That's fair, but expect the JMU team of the second half, not the first for the full 60 minutes as well. It would/could/should be a heck of a game if it comes to pass... Remember JMU has been down this path as well in 2004. And I'm not trying to take anything away from what ASU has done over the last 3 years.

How many current JMU players were anything more than bench sitters in 2004? Enough time has gone by that I'm not sold on that being anything close to relevant at this point.

JMU gets all the credit for coming back out of a huge hole and pulling that win out. And we can argue all day about why it happened, and what it means about who the better team is (I still think ASU is the better overall team, and given a chance will prove it).

But, if it comes to pass that the rematch takes place in Chattanooga, nobody can argue that JMU has any kind of experience edge in that game. They call Finley Stadium "Kidd-Brewer West" nowadays for a reason.

Black and Gold Express
November 18th, 2008, 09:47 AM
And which team should you credit for knocking Elder out of the game with a late hit in 2006, ringing in the AE era????

I guess y'all can take credit for it, though from all I read Armanti was impressing so much in practices that it was going to happen that season at some point. We'll give you the credit for speeding it up a few games, deal? xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I guess y'all can take credit for it, though from all I read Armanti was impressing so much in practices that it was going to happen that season at some point. We'll give you the credit for speeding it up a few games, deal? xthumbsupx

We just want some credit. We'll take what we can get. xpeacex

MasonJar
November 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM

zactly, and ASU has a winning record against Marshall all-time, even at their house if I remember correctly. xthumbsupx

Black and Gold Express
November 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
We just want some credit. We'll take what we can get. xpeacex

Okay rest of I-AA, and fans of the Maize and Blue, know now where the weekly Hell we unleash on you was started... They want credit, give it to them. xsmiley_wix

Retro
November 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM
"Enjoy it while it last, because it never does"xrulesx

"All good things must come to an end, otherwise they wouldn't be good"

I really don't think most long time AGS posters hate app to any serious degree.. They just respond to some arrogrance of mostly new app supportors and irresponsible claims of self-glory despite app only recently becoming a dominate program... It's typical of bandwagon fans..

It would help if there not so many app posts on this board for every little story or event unless it pertained to the FCS in general...xthumbsupx

blitz4
November 18th, 2008, 12:08 PM
UTC would have beaten us that night in boone.

ASUTed
November 18th, 2008, 12:15 PM

So you are saying that ASU had nothing to do with you loosing the game?

Take a look at the game closer and you will see a Wofford secondary that was seriously outmaned against our recieving core. Armanti has never thrown for that many yards against anyone. I doubt many other teams could have beaten you guys like that. I think you have a good program and have a niche, you should stick with it. Don't try to downplay our win because you think your team "played bad"

appstate38
November 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM

You know Rob some on here won't remember but I recall a time (1990) when Marshall HAMMERED us at their place 50-0!!!! They were the sole motivation for us for the off season. Always a tough team to beat during their time in the SoCon. The one thing I take away from games with them..... We were the first ones to beat them in their current stadium.... xthumbsupx

alexale23
November 18th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I don't think anyone hates App State for winning 3 in a row I know I don't but I think they do hate some of the posters that have allowed it to go to their head thinking they are the best, unbeatable, promising to win it all if they get to the semis not even knowing who is playing and on and on and all of that winning has made them not humble anymore. Years ago we seen the same kind of posters from Georgia Southern and Youngstown and when the winning stopped so did the posters and those that are left are pretty humble now. App State will be among those 2 one day simply because nobody stays on top forever and some posters will bail which nobody will miss and the good ones will stay and not get ragged for their downfall and another team will be on top and it will start alll over again.

I HATE APP for winning 3 in a row

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2008, 12:34 PM
"Enjoy it while it last, because it never does"xrulesx

"All good things must come to an end, otherwise they wouldn't be good"

I really don't think most long time AGS posters hate app to any serious degree.. They just respond to some arrogrance of mostly new app supportors and irresponsible claims of self-glory despite app only recently becoming a dominate program... It's typical of bandwagon fans..

It would help if there not so many app posts on this board for every little story or event unless it pertained to the FCS in general...xthumbsupx

i.e. fans who think FCS started in 2005, they (the bandwagoners) are getting almost as bad as Boston fans...

SideLine Shooter
November 18th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I HATE APP for winning 3 in a row

That does not even deserve a reply.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

andy7171
November 18th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I don't really get all this feeling of disrespect a lot of ASU fans love to talk about. Envious? Hell yeah. Do I hate the Mountaineers? hell no. I am half rooting for AE to win two more.

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I don't really get all this feeling of disrespect a lot of ASU fans love to talk about. Envious? Hell yeah. Do I hate the Mountaineers? hell no. I am half rooting for AE to win two more.

same here xnodx

DB_Atlantic10
November 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Heck every team in FCS had the same amount or more of champ game appearances as App then because App had none even though they had been in the tournament 12 years. bigappfan10, nice imagination that everyone hates App (though it seems to be a theme among App fans). This is the national board, not your team or rival's board. We love FCS here and reading homer posts like that are amusing. I agree, App St. has had a great run, but a Dynasty they are not... Marshall, GSU, UDel and YSU (all struggling now) had their moments in the spotlight....and now it's App St... who knows, JMU could be going on the next run, but eventually it will come to an end and someone else will take the thrown for a few years. No one hates ASU, I love what they have done over the past few years in getting the FCS on the Map with their big UM win... But across this great country, in every conference, there is some team that the others all have to play up to...Montana in the West, UNI in the Mid-West, UMass in the North and UDel....and as of late ASU/JMU who are virtually on the same program run over the past 4 years.....

james_lawfirm
November 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM

That sir, is decidedly NOT true. Y'all looked pretty good until that first interception.

19Duke97
November 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM
How many current JMU players were anything more than bench sitters in 2004? Enough time has gone by that I'm not sold on that being anything close to relevant at this point.

JMU gets all the credit for coming back out of a huge hole and pulling that win out. And we can argue all day about why it happened, and what it means about who the better team is (I still think ASU is the better overall team, and given a chance will prove it).

But, if it comes to pass that the rematch takes place in Chattanooga, nobody can argue that JMU has any kind of experience edge in that game. They call Finley Stadium "Kidd-Brewer West" nowadays for a reason.

You are right, every team should just fold their tents and hand you the title. xlolx Too many games left to be played to start this war of words.

appstate38
November 18th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I agree, App St. has had a great run, but a Dynasty they are not... Marshall, GSU, UDel and YSU (all struggling now) had their moments in the spotlight....and now it's App St... who knows, JMU could be going on the next run, but eventually it will come to an end and someone else will take the thrown for a few years. No one hates ASU, I love what they have done over the past few years in getting the FCS on the Map with their big UM win... But across this great country, in every conference, there is some team that the others all have to play up to...Montana in the West, UNI in the Mid-West, UMass in the North and UDel....and as of late ASU/JMU who are virtually on the same program run over the past 4 years.....

Then what do you consider a dynasty???? Were the Bulls a dynasty or just the product of a great run? I think it depends on your definition. All dynasties have a beginning, an end and are remembered forever. That is one reason GSU is still the gold standard when it comes to championships IMO!

Black Saturday
November 18th, 2008, 01:38 PM

I'll take the other end of the spectrum of your argument and say if Richie Williams was healthy APP would have been dominating.

ericsaid
November 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I would like to think there are no bandwagon fans in FCS.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I would like to think there are no bandwagon fans in FCS.

I'd like to think that Santa Claus is comin' to my house with a 52" TV and wireless surround sound speakers...

Grizzaholic
November 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I'd like to think that Santa Claus is comin' to my house with a 52" TV and wireless surround sound speakers...

Can you send him to my house if he shows up at yours?

And there are bandwagon fans for every program, football basketball baseball all sports and clubs.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Can you send him to my house if he shows up at yours?

And there are bandwagon fans for every program, football basketball baseball all sports and clubs.

If I can catch his a$$ at my house, I'm holding him for ransom! Those elves are gonna have to cough up a Beamer and a lifetime supply of Crown Royal to get Jolly Old St. Nick back!

And you are correct every sports team has bandwagon fans.

eaglewithabus
November 18th, 2008, 01:50 PM

cant say I agree with that one. I have been a GSU fan since 2000 when I started school and I have caught a lot of grief about our recent struggles.

ericsaid
November 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM

I don't know that FCS teams get enough publicity to be able to gain bandwagon fans to be honest. They are too hard to follow.

But it is whatever.

Grizzaholic
November 18th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I don't know that FCS teams get enough publicity to be able to gain bandwagon fans to be honest. They are too hard to follow.
But it is whatever.

xeyebrowx We live in the information age, everything is just a click away. Some teams such as Montana and Montana St. get all of their football games broadcast state wide. I know that all of the basketball games are available on the radio as well. All it takes is for ( insert team name here ) to have a memorable game. Back and forth scoring, classic ending, lots of trickery, have something epic happen during the game etc... and the seed will be planted. The next game people will seek it out and if the product is quality and the wins come, so will the fans, bandwagon or not.

AppStateold299
November 18th, 2008, 05:44 PM

The first championship was without AE. We won with the forgotten Richie Williams. He was a great QB that stepped aside to our best QB of our/FCS history once his totals are tallied up. Just because we never won a championship doesn't mean that we weren't a good program. We have been an elite program far before 2005. It is like saying that Carl Malone, Charles Barkley, Cal Ripken Jr., Dan Marino, etc. weren't good because they didn't win a championship. A championship doesn't make you a great program. It just justifies things a little bit.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM
The UNI was by far the most fun/special/great/memorable championship for me as well. The first trip to Chatt, the first big-time 1-AA gameday experience and the and the fact that the game was in doubt till 00:00 made for a great time.

****Warning...Token Michigan reference to follow....Warning*****

FWIW...App Beat UM w/ a Freshman center who was subbing for our 2 year starter (Suttle) that was out with a knee injury

Graduate of Gaffney High School, home of the Indiansxthumbsupx

He won a couple state championships

JohnStOnge
November 18th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I think it's true that App State is a "hunted" team, but I also think the difference between the Mountaineers having one championship and three is razor thin. I think they were extremely lucky to beat Furman in the 2005 playoffs and extremely lucky to beat JMU last year. The difference between "dynasty" and "just really good" can be one bounce of the ball...one Ingle Martin just falling down when he was about to run into the end zone untouched. That sort of thing.

AppState
November 18th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I see it as "fortunate".

Edit: But I think this thread is silly. It's like some of us want everyone to hate us.

I just like football.

appstate1998
November 18th, 2008, 09:16 PM
not a homer statement, but 3 national titles in a row is a dynasty. They were discussing what is a "dynasty" on espn and they made great points about how hard it is to win 3 in a row. Granted much of the talk was about Jimmie Johnson....but in college football, it doesn't matter whether you are FBS, FCS, Division II, Division III, Division 52...if you win 3 championships in a row that is a dynasty.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM
It's a dynasty.

I don't hate App, I hate the rest of the league to be unable to stop them in the last year.

I rooted for them the first two NCs but remained neutral in the third, I felt like Jerry sold his soul or something with JMU and really I believe they were kind of lucky. They were the clear national champs but they got so many breaks that a team that good shouldn't get.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 18th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I think it's true that App State is a "hunted" team, but I also think the difference between the Mountaineers having one championship and three is razor thin. I think they were extremely lucky to beat Furman in the 2005 playoffs and extremely lucky to beat JMU last year. The difference between "dynasty" and "just really good" can be one bounce of the ball...one Ingle Martin just falling down when he was about to run into the end zone untouched. That sort of thing.

Most championship teams had at least one playoff game that was decided by 7 points or less. In 4 of GSU's 6 national championship seasons there was at least one game that was a 7 point differential or less. And in such games you can usually point at one screw-up by the other team and argue that the other team gave you the game. That's how close games are. GSU has been on the other side of that in playoff games as well. A non-forced fumble deep in Furman territory cost us the national championship in 1988. A special teams mental mistake took all the momentum from GSU at the beggning of the second half in the 2001 semifinals that caused us to blow a 17-7 halftime lead and lose 24-17. In 2002 a blown coverage on one play gave Western Kentucky a huge gain that helped them retake the lead with almost no time left. I'm sure App. could say the same thing about their playoff losses to Maine and Montana.

Bottom line is, with every major dynasty there is always a small group of plays you can eliminate to eliminate the dynasty. On the flipside it might only take adding a handfull of big play to turn a few good years into a dynasty. IMO every App team from 1999-2002 could have won the NC but they slipped up in one way or another (well maybe not in 2001 when we cleaned their clocks in the playoffs :D ). Sort of like the Atlanta braves in the 90s.

StrikeJMU
November 18th, 2008, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=AppStateold299;1213878]The first championship was without AE. We won with the forgotten Richie Williams. He was a great QB that stepped aside to our best QB of our/FCS history once his totals are tallied up. Just because we never won a championship doesn't mean that we weren't a good program. We have been an elite program far before 2005. It is like saying that Carl Malone, Charles Barkley, Cal Ripken Jr., Dan Marino, etc. weren't good because they didn't win a championship. A championship doesn't make you a great program. It just justifies things a little bit.

...I think your forgetting 1983 when he won the World Series.

StrikeJMU
November 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM
The first championship was without AE. We won with the forgotten Richie Williams. He was a great QB that stepped aside to our best QB of our/FCS history once his totals are tallied up. Just because we never won a championship doesn't mean that we weren't a good program. We have been an elite program far before 2005. It is like saying that Carl Malone, Charles Barkley, Cal Ripken Jr., Dan Marino, etc. weren't good because they didn't win a championship. A championship doesn't make you a great program. It just justifies things a little bit.

...I think your forgetting 1983 when he won the World Series with Baltimore.

mtgrizfankb
November 18th, 2008, 10:53 PM
i agree with some of it. a lot of it. The part about taking the best shot every week. Montana does the same thing week in and week out. it is a hard thing to do. It has seemed like app when are in the spotlight are great but are only pretty good when not on the spot. I think app.st is not the best team in FCS this year. does not mean they will not win the NC. in the playoffs anyone has a shot to tell ya the truth. Even the last team in. one win and momentum can carry you to chatt. then anything is possible. However App.st is not the lakers, cowboys, yanks. They are the one hit wonders right now. fifteen years from now when you have been in the playoffs every year and compete for the NC year in and year out. then you can get SOME of the consideration

Black and Gold Express
November 19th, 2008, 11:13 AM
It's a dynasty.

I don't hate App, I hate the rest of the league to be unable to stop them in the last year.

I rooted for them the first two NCs but remained neutral in the third, I felt like Jerry sold his soul or something with JMU and really I believe they were kind of lucky. They were the clear national champs but they got so many breaks that a team that good shouldn't get.

So using that logic I expect you'll be neutral to JMU this year?

neersnbeers
November 19th, 2008, 11:21 AM
i agree with some of it. a lot of it. The part about taking the best shot every week. Montana does the same thing week in and week out. it is a hard thing to do. It has seemed like app when are in the spotlight are great but are only pretty good when not on the spot. I think app.st is not the best team in FCS this year. does not mean they will not win the NC. in the playoffs anyone has a shot to tell ya the truth. Even the last team in. one win and momentum can carry you to chatt. then anything is possible. However App.st is not the lakers, cowboys, yanks. They are the one hit wonders right now. fifteen years from now when you have been in the playoffs every year and compete for the NC year in and year out. then you can get SOME of the consideration

Awesome! We'll see ya then!

Seven Would Be Nice
November 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM

But it is whatever.

Tons of App fans were leaving the stadium early in 07 when we were beating them at the pebble. Terrible to see the (then) two time reigning champs loose one close rivalry game and have that many people bolt for the nearest exit minutes before the game was even over.

AshevilleApp2
November 19th, 2008, 12:04 PM

I'm whole rooting for AE to win two more. xnodx

andy7171
November 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I'm whole rooting for AE to win two more. xnodx

I don't blame you. xthumbsupx

And it IS a dynasty. xnodx

DLS
November 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM
It's a dynasty.

i hate this "luck" excuse for our success.

eventhough, i do think this thread is going too far.

"LUCK REPEATED OVER TIME = SKILL"
- logic

813Jag
November 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I see it as "fortunate".

Edit: But I think this thread is silly. It's like some of us want everyone to hate us.

I just like football.
I agree, the original post was on point. But it seems like some want a chip on their shoulder. You're the top dog in FCS. Whoever doesn't like it should hope their team beats you.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM

- logic

I've always thought the best saying was that "luck" is where preparation meets opportunity...

Mntneer
November 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Frankly, I don't see a lot of App hate on this board. I see a lot of people that are getting weary of this tear that we're on, and expressing it in a way that's easy to misinterpret. I also see some people getting upset with certain App fans that seem to think this run is never going to end. But deep down I think most folks recognize the good exposure we have given FCS football.

ericsaid
November 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I've always thought the best saying was that "luck" is where preparation meets opportunity...

JMu has experienced their share of "luck" this season.

This is a good definition though.xthumbsupx Kudos to you my friend.

crossfire07
November 19th, 2008, 12:56 PM
i have a suspicious feeling that there are a couple people out there waiting for us to not make the playoffs and rub our kind, benevolent, humble faces in it.

some will deserve everything they get and more but it is them alone that are setting themselves up for it and have nobody to blame but themselves when it comes and those posters my friend are not humble.

I-AA Fan
November 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM
you are Florida in NCAA basketball, not UNC.
your are detroit in the NBA, not the lakers
you are the Marlins in baseball, not the Yankees.

These teams you mentioned have achieved continued success over decades, you have a run going. No disrespect intended.

Fans of EKU, YSU, GSU, Furman, and Montana are quite aware of what you are going through. As bad as YSU has been this year, Liberty fans and players went crazy coming into a traditional powerhouse's home, and walking out with a win. Just a couple weeks later, YSU was down 21-0 at home vs. win less Indiana State. It does not diminish the joy the Flames felt.

Right now, teams are looking at what they need to do to compete with ASU's style of ball. Much the same as teams with just as much, and even more talent look to beat some of the spread-option teams in the SEC. (Ohio State, USC, Michigan, etc.) cannot find a way to beat LSU or Florida, yet a bottom-feeder in the SEC knocks them off every year. Much like a fair Wofford squad toppled ASU last year, or a less-than-fair GSU last year, and a bad GSU squad the year prior lost in OT. Or this year, when you played LSU (the same style of ball) and were not even close. If Northern Iowa was in the SoCon, they would spread the ball more, and add in an option offense. They would recruit players for this style. If ASU played in the MVFC, they would put more beef, and less speed in many positions. They would be more deep at TB, FB, and TE. Much more deep up front on both sides of the ball. If not, ASU would not last for 11-games. I am not saying on conference is better that the other ...I am saying the teams play different styles of football. UNI might last in the SoCon, but they would be lucky to beat WSU and CHatty each year ...if they did not conform. In a play-off, the differences become enormous, as a team only has a single week to prepare. Wofford has entire summer to prepare for ASU.

Your feelings come with the territory. Teams know they need their "A" game to beat you, so they bring it. They know you are the defending champs, that adds even more motivation. The old adage "if you want to be the best ...you have to beat the best" does not hold true in college football. If you want to be the best, you have to play at your best ...all the time. Besides, just think if you lost 3 games this year and had not ever won a championship ...you probably would not get in. In 2008, you could lose 4, and still get in ...your Appalachian State. So take the good with the bad.

BigApp
November 19th, 2008, 05:33 PM
it's great to know that I now have at least 10 fans!!

xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx
xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

appstate1998
November 19th, 2008, 05:50 PM
you are Florida in NCAA basketball, not UNC.
your are detroit in the NBA, not the lakers
you are the Marlins in baseball, not the Yankees.

These teams you mentioned have achieved continued success over decades, you have a run going. No disrespect intended.

Fans of EKU, YSU, GSU, Furman, and Montana are quite aware of what you are going through. As bad as YSU has been this year, Liberty fans and players went crazy coming into a traditional powerhouse's home, and walking out with a win. Just a couple weeks later, YSU was down 21-0 at home vs. win less Indiana State. It does not diminish the joy the Flames felt.

Right now, teams are looking at what they need to do to compete with ASU's style of ball. Much the same as teams with just as much, and even more talent look to beat some of the spread-option teams in the SEC. (Ohio State, USC, Michigan, etc.) cannot find a way to beat LSU or Florida, yet a bottom-feeder in the SEC knocks them off every year. Much like a fair Wofford squad toppled ASU last year, or a less-than-fair GSU last year, and a bad GSU squad the year prior lost in OT. Or this year, when you played LSU (the same style of ball) and were not even close. If Northern Iowa was in the SoCon, they would spread the ball more, and add in an option offense. They would recruit players for this style. If ASU played in the MVFC, they would put more beef, and less speed in many positions. They would be more deep at TB, FB, and TE. Much more deep up front on both sides of the ball. If not, ASU would not last for 11-games. I am not saying on conference is better that the other ...I am saying the teams play different styles of football. UNI might last in the SoCon, but they would be lucky to beat WSU and CHatty each year ...if they did not conform. In a play-off, the differences become enormous, as a team only has a single week to prepare. Wofford has entire summer to prepare for ASU.

Your feelings come with the territory. Teams know they need their "A" game to beat you, so they bring it. They know you are the defending champs, that adds even more motivation. The old adage "if you want to be the best ...you have to beat the best" does not hold true in college football. If you want to be the best, you have to play at your best ...all the time. Besides, just think if you lost 3 games this year and had not ever won a championship ...you probably would not get in. In 2008, you could lose 4, and still get in ...your Appalachian State. So take the good with the bad.

we are jimmie johnson

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM

- logic

I've said it many times and for some reason many football fans have a hard time accepting it:

Chance plays a role in football. Things happen that help you to win or lose that are totally beyond your control no matter how good you are. To win three championships in a row you're going to have to be very good and you're also probably going to have to have some luck.

Take the Furman at App State playoff game in 2005. Ingle Martin was about to walk into the end zone and give Furman a two score lead. He fell down. That had nothing to do with how "good" App State was. From App State's standpoint, that was pure, unadulterated luck.

I don't see why people see that as saying something bad. App State still had to be very good in order for a lucky break like that to matter.

And luck repeated over time does not equal skill. People issue all kinds of cliches about how luck is the result of somethiing good you do. That's nonsense. It's luck.

All the skill means is that skill was a factor as well. If the skill wasn't there the championships wouldn't have been won regardless of the luck. But to say that just plain good luck at key times wasn't a factor in App State winning three straight championships is pretty questionable.

uni88
November 19th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I can't believe that this thread is 14 pages long. xeyebrowx

You're App State. You've won 3 straight NCs. I have tremendous respect for the program. I'm envious of your recent success. No ***** your opponents bring their best game when they play you. GSU, Montana, UNI, etc. have been geting the best from every team in their conference for a long time. 3 straight NCs and your going to get everyone's best. Any fan on this board would love to have that "problem".

If that isn't enough understanding for you it's your problem not mine - go see a therapist.

CID1990
November 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM

ASU has had a few mediocre seasons, but in my 40 years I don't ever recall them being chronically mediocre.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM

- logic

You guys won it fair and square, I'm just frustrated JMU screwed up last year.