PDA

View Full Version : Defense

appstate38
November 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM
It seemed at least last season that the offenses around the FCS were very This year it seems to be somewhat the same. The offenses are seemingly still unstoppable and the defenses are at best average. My question is how long before we see the tide change back to where the defenses are more dominate or will we ever return to a time like this when you consider the emergence of the spread offense and all its forms????

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2008, 08:17 PM
When Armanti graduates....xsmiley_wix

Well in the Socon I think we have a wide variety of great defense. In no particular order: App(thought they are the best), Elon, Furman, Samford, and even the Citadel have good D's.

Wofford is playing good D this year too but the App game restricts me from putting them in this category.

hawkeye
November 17th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Offenses have changed. They are more wide open. Defenses have had to adapt. Many offensive teams are play action West coast style. Linebackers need to be (smaller) and quicker to move and cover. Fewer 8 men in the box or you will get burned. When your spread thin it does not matter how powerful your defense appears, they must be quicker thus most times smaller. Look at the number of passes teams put in the air. Its tough on defenses. Good question and I dont know if you will see the dominating defenses we have seen in the past. Poor D Coordintors have to earn their money.

clenz
November 17th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Well outside of the BYU game UNI has given up 100 points in last 10 games. 24 of those points came in one game. 6 points in the last three, and 0 in the last two.

I think UNI's defense still dominates the game pretty well.

SpiderFan
November 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Richmond's defense has been stifling all year--I don't care how subpar Dekware is they held them to 53 yards in the whole game. They've been doing it all year...

Chi Panther
November 17th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Richmond vs UNI would be a boring game.

Turfwar
November 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Richmond and Villanova both have great Defenses,

R3TRO
November 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Nova's D was excellent against UNH.

coover
November 18th, 2008, 02:36 AM
When Armanti graduates....

When Armanti graduates? When he actually graduates? I didn't know any of the Appy football team graduates. Graduates?

MacThor
November 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM
A playoff rematch between UR & ASU would be interesting. UR's defense is much improved over last year. Since the 15-points-in-the-last-minute debacle vs. JMU, UR's starting defense has yielded 2 TD's in four games.

Mike London is a much more defense-focused coach than Clawson. I'm sure UR's defense, who return most of their starters, would like a shot at redemption.

However, Steven Howell -- the playmaker and defensive captain who would have been Edwards' "shadow" last year had he not been injured, contributing to 55 ASU points -- is the key graduate from UR's defense. Can they game-plan to contain him this time?

Green26
November 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Montana has given up 10.33 points per game, in the past 6 games.

james_lawfirm
November 18th, 2008, 12:21 PM
When Armanti graduates? When he actually graduates? I didn't know any of the Appy football team graduates. Graduates?

Most of them will. App has not been penalized (knock on wood) by the NCAA for the GPA problem that other teams have. GaSo lost some scholarships due to that GPA problem.

FYI, AE is on the honor roll. Starting LB Pierre Banks will have his masters degree in 4 1/2 years (took me 6 1/2) at App (includes undergrad study).

TXST_CAT
November 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM
TXST's Defense seems to be getting better every game. xthumbsupx

TCisMYhero
November 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Warning, UNI fan having fun ahead:

Montana has given up 10.33 points per game, in the past 6 games.

UNI has given up 10 points per game, in the past 10 games. And zero in the past two.

TCisMYhero
November 18th, 2008, 09:10 PM
The UNI police is better than any defense we've faced though.

Touchdown Yosef
November 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM

Take it to the smack board. Just because we put a quality product on the field does not mean that we have dumb kids out there, look up the stats on our excellently run program before you start taking low blows. Uncalled for.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM

UNI has given up 10 points per game, in the past 10 games. And zero in the past two.

SIU's defense doesn't have the gaudy stats but they are very fast and all year long they've made big plays on big downs.

GolfingGriz
November 18th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Kinda depends on where the game is played. UM has made some pretty good offenses look pretty bad. In 06 we held SIU to under 100 yards rushing and 3 points. In 04 we gave up 41 to SHSU in September but then only 13 in December.

Skjellyfetti
November 18th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Take it to the smack board. Just because we put a quality product on the field does not mean that we have dumb kids out there, look up the stats on our excellently run program before you start taking low blows. Uncalled for.

He's totally right! You have to pay >$40,000 a year to get a quality education. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Green26
November 18th, 2008, 11:38 PM

You need to check your stats. Looks like 13 per game in the last 10 games.

Still impressive.

BEAR
November 19th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Defense? What's that? xeyebrowx

HensRock
November 19th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Richmond and Villanova both have great Defenses,

Agreed. And I beleive both will go very deep into the playoffs this year.
With the 2 of them playing such goods defense, and JMU playing such good offense, I think there is a real good chance to see a CAA vs. CAA in the NC game this year.

Black Saturday
November 19th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Agreed. And I beleive both will go very deep into the playoffs this year.
With the 2 of them playing such goods defense, and JMU playing such good offense, I think there is a real good chance to see a CAA vs. CAA in the NC game this year.

WOW!