PDA

View Full Version : FCS Polls difference

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I was looking at all three major polls at http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=2008-fcs-polls&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 and noticed all the teams are the same save for two exceptions.
1. Western Illinois is in the AGS and TSN polls but the Coaches have North Dakota State
2. Tennessee State is in the TSN and Coaches polls but AGS has South Dakota State

Also interesting is how similar the top 11 are in all three.

xcoffeex

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 08:24 PM
makes me wonder if AGS pollsters are looking at the other polls or are the other polls looking at us........ or are the voters the same in all three?

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
AGS and TSN share a handful or so of voters...

Do we have a coach voting in the AGS poll? Perhaps an SID or few that vote on behalf of their coach...

walliver
November 17th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I suspect the polls are feeding off of each other. In the FCS universe, few of us actually get to see teams from outside our region (limited national telecasts).

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I suspect the polls are feeding off of each other. In the FCS universe, few of us actually get to see teams from outside our region (limited national telecasts).thanks to places like www.channelsurfing.com and cn8 etc. I get to see about 8-12 games every Saturday for free plus the audio on many others all online. There has never been a time in FCS history where an FCS fan can watch so many games for free from all around the country.

Rob Iola
November 18th, 2008, 12:05 AM
At this point in the season I think the cream's risen to the top - the polls should be fairly consistent for anyone the least bit familiar with FCS...

gabe01
November 18th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I was looking at all three major polls at http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=2008-fcs-polls&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 and noticed all the teams are the same save for two exceptions.
1. Western Illinois is in the AGS and TSN polls but the Coaches have North Dakota State
2. Tennessee State is in the TSN and Coaches polls but AGS has South Dakota State

xcoffeex

NDSU is a bubble team. They have quietly creeped back up into the polls and are in a positon to end on a 4 game win streak. Their ranking in the coaches poll is fair, but I'm suprised to see they are not showing up in the AGS poll. Next week if they beat SDSU they will be ranked in all polls.

I don't think the MVC is getting enough credit and the OVC is getting too much. If Tennessee State had played a Missouri Valley Conference schedule, would they be ranked? I don't think any OVC team could beat SIU, UNI, NDSU, SDSU, or WIU.

It's strange that NDSU has been ranked for almost 6 years in a row and have beaten 3 D1-A teams and they lose a few games to good teams like UNI and WIU and they are dropped when they are playoff eligible. I think it's too harsh but I'm of course biased.

Tell me this... If Furman, W&M, Maine, and Elon lose plus and NDSU wins... can we can make a playoff argument? Anyone disagree? Now before you put words in my mouth and say I'm crazy for saying we shoudl be in the playoffs... I'm not saying we should be in... I only think we have an argument if ALL 4 of those teams lose plus NDSU wins. Unlikely, but possible. Thoughts?

Syntax Error
November 18th, 2008, 01:02 AM
NDSU is a bubble team. They have quietly creeped back up into the polls and are in a positon to end on a 4 game win streak. Their ranking in the coaches poll is fair, but I'm suprised to see they are not showing up in the AGS poll. Next week if they beat SDSU they will be ranked in all polls.

I don't think the MVC is getting enough credit and the OVC is getting too much. If Tennessee State had played a Missouri Valley Conference schedule, would they be ranked? I don't think any OVC team could beat SIU, UNI, NDSU, SDSU, or WIU.

It's strange that NDSU has been ranked for almost 6 years in a row and have beaten 3 D1-A teams and they lose a few games to good teams like UNI and WIU and they are dropped when they are playoff eligible. I think it's too harsh but I'm of course biased.

Tell me this... If Furman, W&M, Maine, and Elon lose plus and NDSU wins... can we can make a playoff argument? Anyone disagree? Now before you put words in my mouth and say I'm crazy for saying we shoudl be in the playoffs... I'm not saying we should be in... I only think we have an argument if ALL 4 of those teams lose plus NDSU wins. Unlikely, but possible. Thoughts?Start a thread with that gabe01

uofmman1122
November 18th, 2008, 01:08 AM

Tell me this... If Furman, W&M, Maine, and Elon lose plus and NDSU wins... can we can make a playoff argument? Anyone disagree? Now before you put words in my mouth and say I'm crazy for saying we shoudl be in the playoffs... I'm not saying we should be in... I only think we have an argument if ALL 4 of those teams lose plus NDSU wins. Unlikely, but possible. Thoughts?No.

You guys also lost to Youngstown State, which is a bad loss no matter how you slice it. If all four of those teams lose, Maine still has a better resume at 8-4 than NDSU, plus with Elon losing to Liberty, you could very well see Liberty in over NDSU.

Even if those four teams lose, NDSU is too far down the pecking order for the playoffs this year. Better luck next year. xpeacex

KAUMASS
November 18th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Looking forward to the GPI to see where everyone is at compared to the 3 polls going into this weekend. Notice I didn't mention the GPI as a poll, because it is an index.xscanx

3..2...1...89Hen post..

OL FU
November 18th, 2008, 07:03 AM

xcoffeex

How does this compare to previous years?

Seems to me that this has been a year without a lot of major shakeups. The teams that people thought would win either won, or played other ranked teams close enough to be looked at as "not a bad loss".

The exception is the Southland which still has me confused. Mainly Nichols looking very strong but only for a total two gamesxnodx and in those two games beat what appears to be the top two teams in the conferencexconfusedx

appfan2008
November 18th, 2008, 07:24 AM
This is the kind of year that the top 10-15 teams have really seperated themselves from the pack but it is surprising to me to so few differences at the bottom of the polls

Gil Dobie
November 18th, 2008, 08:19 AM
The only poll I look at is AGS. xthumbsupx

Eaglegus2
November 18th, 2008, 08:22 AM
The only poll I look at is AGS. xthumbsupx

I am in agreement with you. Those other polls don't impress me.xlolx xlolx

terrierbob
November 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I feel more comfortable with the FIGHTING Terriers at 9 or 10 after the App State/Elon game.