PDA

View Full Version : FCS-over-FBS wins?

nerd
November 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Anyone know where that thread went with all the FCS-versus-FBS match-ups on it? And someone had highlighted/color themed all the games according to their outcome?

I tried searching but couldn't find it.

Or, someone could just tell me here...

How many FCS-over-FBS wins all have there been this year?

Is it just Cal Poly-San Diego State and New Hampshire-Army??? xoopsx xreadx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 17th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Anyone know where that thread went with all the FCS-versus-FBS match-ups on it? And someone had highlighted/color themed all the games according to their outcome?

I was running that thread. I got kind of discouraged with it...we have had so many almost-wins that would have been good...

Eastern Washington/Colorado (very nearly took them to OT)
WIU/Arkansas (had a 10-point lead in the 4th quarter)
UTM/Auburn (only one TD down going into the fourth, then gave up 21 points
NDSU/Wyoming
Sac State/Colorado State
xbangx xbangx xbangx

I'll try to find it and bump it up for you.

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Yes, those are the only two FCS over FBS wins. UNH's 4th consecutive win over an FBS team.

Silenoz
November 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM
THE SOUTHERN CONFERENCE

* Represented in 15 of the 30 FCS/I-AA national championships
* Represented in 7 of the last 10 national championship games
* 10 of the 30 national championships held by current members
* 3 of the 5 coaches with multiple national championships

So much intra-conference brotherly love anymore xlolx

It was not always this way, on this level, or I-A

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Is it just Cal Poly-San Diego State and New Hampshire-Army??? xoopsx xreadxCheck the FCS RECAP articles at CSN:
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&cat=191

IaaScribe
November 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM
FCS is 2-81 this year against FBS.

appstate1998
November 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM
FCS is 2-81 this year against FBS.

we should all take Liberty's role and schedule 2 DII schools instead of an FBS school

kirkblitz
November 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
lol

coover
November 17th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Coming this Saturday in Camp Randall ...

IaaScribe
November 17th, 2008, 11:09 PM
we should all take Liberty's role and schedule 2 DII schools instead of an FBS school

You all think I'm some sort of Liberty fan. I just cover the team. And the 2-81 is a fact, not smack.

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM
You all think I'm some sort of Liberty fan.I think that it the more objective members that make this place the best.

appstate1998
November 18th, 2008, 07:45 AM
You all think I'm some sort of Liberty fan. I just cover the team. And the 2-81 is a fact, not smack.

well get ready to add to the 2 because Citadel is about to rock Florida....

and not saying you are a Liberty fan....but you come to their defense all the time and not with "facts" or their play, but that you know someone who is close to the committee talk. I know John Edwards and he is still in consideration for running for president in the coming years, but that still doesn't mean he has a shot in heck of getting voted in.

Native
November 18th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I think that it the more objective members that make this place the best.

Yup!xnodx

gabe01
November 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM

I can't find it for 2008 but I stumbled up the numbers for 2007. In 2007 there were 9 wins over D1-A teams. Notice how 4 of the 9 were teams from the Gateway, or as it's now called, the Missouri Valley Conference? UNI, SIU, and NDSU.

W 9/1 Appalachian St, 34 ; Michigan, 32
W 9/1 Nicholls State, 16 ; Rice, 14
W 9/8 Southern Ill, 34 ; Northern Ill, 31
W 9/8 Northern Iowa, 24 ; Iowa State, 13
W 9/15 New Hampshire, 48 ; Marshall, 35
W 9/15 McNeese State, 38 ; UL Lafayette, 17
W 9/22 North Dakota St, 44 ; Central Mich, 14
W 10/20 North Dakota St, 27 ; Minnesota, 21
W 10/27 Delaware, 59 ; Navy, 52

BisonBacker
November 18th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I can't find it for 2008 but I stumbled up the numbers for 2007. In 2007 there were 9 wins over D1-A teams. Notice how 4 of the 9 were teams from the Gateway, or as it's now called, the Missouri Valley Conference? UNI, SIU, and NDSU.

OH the good old days xrolleyesx

IaaScribe
November 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
well get ready to add to the 2 because Citadel is about to rock Florida....

and not saying you are a Liberty fan....but you come to their defense all the time and not with "facts" or their play, but that you know someone who is close to the committee talk. I know John Edwards and he is still in consideration for running for president in the coming years, but that still doesn't mean he has a shot in heck of getting voted in.

Not defending. Look, I've seen every game that team has played since 2005, so I just try to clear misconceptions and what not. I try to do the same for other Big South teams because I've probably seen them more than most on the board.

The "close to the committee" talk is what it is. I'm just relaying information. You can call BS all you want, but that's what I'm hearing.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Wofford beat UL Lafayette or Monro a few years ago

RabidRabbit
November 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM

And by the middle of the pack in the MoValley, after Saturday! :p xsmiley_wix

appstate1998
November 18th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Not defending. Look, I've seen every game that team has played since 2005, so I just try to clear misconceptions and what not. I try to do the same for other Big South teams because I've probably seen them more than most on the board.

The "close to the committee" talk is what it is. I'm just relaying information. You can call BS all you want, but that's what I'm hearing.

I'm not calling BS....never made any remarks calling it BS, but I was pointing out that most your recent arguments are based on "what you are hearing" not what you are seeing. If you would like to explain to me why a team with 2 division II wins, and zero quality wins(in my opinion) going into the Elon game deserves a seed I'm willing to listen.

Since you cover them, I would like for you to show me a quality win on their resume and I'm not being sarcastic. I haven't seen them play and you have so I'm basing my thoughts off their weak schedule and 2 losses.

IaaScribe
November 18th, 2008, 11:15 PM
There will only be one quality win if it happens ... Elon. That's it.

What I see on the field is not a playoff team. Playoff teams don't lose to Presbyterian. In fact, I pretty much wrote a playoff obit after that game, and I posted as much in the "Is Liberty done?" thread a while back. I didn't think there was any chance they'd still be in the mix. Too many quality teams vying for those spots. Then Northern Arizona started losing. Then Western Illinois. Then Furman lost to Georgia Southern. What I was told was Liberty was well respected by the committee for what they've done the last two years, thus the consideration.

I know there are people on the other thread saying they're hearing "win and in." I'm not hearing that. Liberty still needs help from the outside. But if it comes down to a 10-2 conference champion in LU versus an 8-4 Maine team, which if it loses to UNH will have really only the UMass win to hang its hat on, the committee will have to make a decision.

I can't explain it, but I really couldn't understand Eastern Illinois last year either. 8-3 with no real quality wins, but no real bad losses, either. But they were in, ahead of a more deserving Villanova team, but they weren't going to give the CAA six bids.

Also, for those who said the Presby game was a fluke, I don't agree. Liberty didn't show up that day. They got punched in the mouth and didn't respond and they got beat. Any Given Saturday, right?

Lafayette was more of a fluke (and don't take that the wrong way, LC fans) ... Flames had the worst special teams game it has had under Rocco. Blocked punt for a TD, Liberty muffs a punt that Lafayette turns into a TD, Liberty allows a long punt return to the LU 13 that sets up a TD, Liberty misses a chip-shot field goal. Don't get me wrong, Lafayette had a lot to do with it and earned the victory. But Liberty just wasn't right that day.

Another thing that might be taken into consideration was that when Liberty played YSU, the Penguins were still mostly healthy and were coming off the big NDSU win. YSU was still ranked at the time. Not sure how that translates now.