PDA

View Full Version : App St. Left Out of Sportscenter 3-peat Segment

FurmanPaladins4138
November 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Just thought it was interesting that Sportscenter just had a segment with Jimmie Johnson where they talked about all the other 3-peat champions in recent history...They went from the Lakers to the UConn Women's Basketball Team to the Packers in the 1960s, but conspicuously absent? App State.
Still no respect for the FCS...

ericsaid
November 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM
suprise.

uofmman1122
November 17th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Did they leave out Carroll College's Four-peat?

FurmanPaladins4138
November 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Yeah, they left that out, but to be honest, I didn't know about that either...

Silenoz
November 17th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Does Mount Union or Grand Valley have a 3 peat? If so...also no love

ValleyChamp
November 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xcoffeex

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Does Mount Union or Grand Valley have a 3 peat? If so...also no lovexconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Carroll College? Mount Union or Grand Valley? Don't recognize them as FCS. xcoffeex

Appalachian State is at the highest level of NCAA football champions. Definitely ensures that E$PeoN is a whack job. The NCAA should respond to this. They accepted the whack job for their championship games.

93henfan
November 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Let's face it. To the folks on this board, we know how good App State is and has been.

To the other 95+% of the nation, Appalayshin State is some obscure D-II school in West Virginia that beat Michigan one year on a fluke, and sadly that's all FCS will ever be to them.

BEAR
November 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
so xcoffeex

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Let's face it. To the folks on this board, we know how good App State is and has been.

To the other 95+% of the nation, Appalayshin State is some obscure D-II school in West Virginia that beat Michigan one year on a fluke, and sadly that's all FCS will ever be to them.

.....fine with mexthumbsupx xcoffeex

93henfan
November 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM
It's fine with me too, but apparently it's not for the people who continue to feel snubbed.

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Priorities for ESPN on App:

1. They beat Michigan

2. they won 3 straight D2 championshipsxnonono2x

coover
November 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Poor, poor, Appy. They get no respect. Appy did beat Michigan once! They should be respected for that, but the nation doesn't seem to care.

But maybe, just maybe this weekend someone might pay attention to what happens at Camp Randall. Cal Poly will play there Saturday (3:30 EST). Respect for FCS? Perhaps. We'll see.

SideLine Shooter
November 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Just thought it was interesting that Sportscenter just had a segment with Jimmie Johnson where they talked about all the other 3-peat champions in recent history...They went from the Lakers to the UConn Women's Basketball Team to the Packers in the 1960s, but conspicuously absent? App State.
Still no respect for the FCS...

Would you really expect them to know who App State is? They are important people. They have Big Jock Straps to sniff.xnodx xnodx

SoCon48
November 17th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Would you really expect them to know who App State is? They are important people. They have Big Jock Straps to sniff.xnodx xnodx

Best use of sarcasm on here in months.
xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

SideLine Shooter
November 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Best use of sarcasm on here in months.
xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

Thank You!

WUTNDITWAA
November 17th, 2008, 09:07 PM
xconfusedx Is it wrong that I'm not really pi$$ed about this?xconfusedx

93henfan
November 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM

Of course it's wrong. You're App State and you're the best, damn it. You were slighted!

SideLine Shooter
November 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM

No, it really doesn't bother me either. We know what we have, what we have done, and have had a great time doing it. Just enjoy this time for what it is and always enjoy Mountaineer Football!xnodx

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I don't think anyone is po'd or surprised by this from the same company that cut away from the highest NCAA D-I football championship game to interview some FBS QB on a bus in NY asking him what he thought about the Big Apple, and cut FCS coverage of the game for a log-rolling show. Just another reason to never go there... and I never do unless FCS is on.

griz37
November 17th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I don't think anyone is po'd or surprised by this from the same company that cut away from the highest NCAA D-I football championship game to interview some FBS QB on a bus in NY asking him what he thought about the Big Apple, and cut FCS coverage of the game for a log-rolling show. Just another reason to never go there... and I never do unless FCS is on.

Yeah ESPNs coverage of FCS is pretty weak, but to people like me, there is a whole world of sports outside our teany tiny little FCS football world.

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 10:07 PM
... there is a whole world of sports outside our teany tiny little FCS football world.Yeah, some of us have a full plate watching 125 teams 24/7 year-round. Others follow just their own team and maybe just their own conference. Some don't follow any sport fully. Different strokes. xcoffeex

catamount man
November 17th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Even though they are a hated rival, for ESPN to ignore their 3 peat is just bad journalism. I salute them for their accomplishments, even as a rival. xthumbsupx

asucraig33
November 17th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Well then, on 11/22, I'm praying that The Citadel beats Florida. Now THAT would give some good national attention this late in the season. xnodx

Rekdiver
November 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I saw the segment. Only slightly bothered me.

Now if I was the UNC women's soccer team I would be very pissed.

james_lawfirm
November 18th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Poor, poor, Appy. They get no respect. Appy did beat Michigan once! They should be respected for that, but the nation doesn't seem to care.

But maybe, just maybe this weekend someone might pay attention to what happens at Camp Randall. Cal Poly will play there Saturday (3:30 EST). Respect for FCS? Perhaps. We'll see.

Respect? I HATE that word. Every time I hear it, and it usually is used in the context used above, I think of the Univ. of Arkansas Coach (Norm Richardson??) when they won the men's basketball Nat'l Championship made a big deal about "getting respect" now that they won. Big deal. Although, admittedly they deserved to win the title that year.

It seems to me that the general usage of this word is that the proponents (like Coach Richardson) want braggin' rights & want to draw attention to themselves for whatever reason. The way I see it, "respect" is for braggarts & whiners. Ptooie!!

luflame15
November 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Im glad they left out App State

madisonfan87
November 18th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Not surprised, ESPN seems to hate the FCS for the most part.

eaglewithabus
November 18th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I saw the segment as well and I was waiting the entire time for asu to come up. Never did. I guarantee you had the michigan win come this season after the three peat, asu would have gotten a mention.

rcny46
November 18th, 2008, 01:26 PM
.....fine with mexthumbsupx xcoffeex

That's fine with me too.It's their loss as far as I'm concerned.

CamelCityAppFan
November 18th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Not surprised, not particularly po'ed either. ESPN knows where its revenue comes from, and in terms of college football, that means buying into the BCS and the crapulent bowl system. The "big boy" xrolleyesx college football programs and their supporters hate-- and I mean hate-- to be reminded that their national championship is a sham.

So from ESPN, you'll never see any love for I-AA football, or Div II or III either for that matter. It makes me glad that regional sports networks try to pick up the slack-- down here it's Sportsouth, who's shown a SoCon matchup every week this season (and I believe each school has been on at least once).

This ESPN thing reminded me of the "move the championship game time" thread a couple of weeks ago. Some people think that by moving it into the BCS bowl schedule, that there would somehow be more exposure for I-AA football. That's just plain crazy-- the reason we're able to see I-AA playoffs on ESPN is because there is no other college football going on. Given the choice between the Earl Scheib Paint Any Car For 99.99 Bowl, and the I-AA National Champ game, where do you think they'll go?