PDA

View Full Version : SWAC West Coin Flip could happen as soon as Friday

813Jag
November 17th, 2008, 04:53 PM
In a three-team coin tie-breaker:

A judge states at the beginning "heads win, tails loses" and the 3 teams toss their coins. If 1 is heads and the other 2 are tails, the team with the head stays alive. The final team is eliminated using standard coin flip protocol between the remaining two teams. If 2 teams are heads and one is tails, the tails team is done. If all 3 are heads or all 3 are tails, they flip again.

So one team, no matter what will be eliminated in the process. These are the possible outcomes:

If GSU is eliminated in the coin toss:
-If Grambling wins the Bayou Classic Grambling goes to the SCG.
-If Southern wins the Bayou Classic Prairie View goes to the SCG.
-No possible way for Southern to advance to the SCG.

If PV is eliminated in the coin toss:
-No possible way for PV to advance to the SCG.
-The Bayou Classic will determine who goes to the SCG.

If SU is eliminated in the coin toss:
-No possible way for Southern to advance to the SCG
-No matter the outcome of the Bayou Classic: Grambling goes to the SCG.

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2008, 05:07 PM
how are they flipping coins and the regular season isn't over? This has the makings of a huge screw job if Southern wins.

They should develop a better tie-breaker. Suppose SU is eliminated by the coin-toss. Prairie View has an outside shot at a playoff berth.

Prairie View would have to decide whether to advance to the playoffs or wait at a 'chance' to become SWAC champions. Not a great position for an AD or a coach.

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
how are they flipping coins and the regular season isn't over? This has the makings of a huge screw job if Southern wins.

They should develop a better tie-breaker. Suppose SU is eliminated by the coin-toss. Prairie View has an outside shot at a playoff berth.

Prairie View would have to decide whether to advance to the playoffs or wait at a 'chance' to become SWAC champions. Not a great position for an AD or a coach.

The Bayou Classic is Thanksgiving Weekend, a week after the playoffs start. Thats why they are doing the coin flip Friday, so if PV loses they have the opportunity to go to the playoffs, if selected.

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
PV will not go to the playoffs. I don't see why the coin flip comes so early in the tie-breaking procedures. Typically, a coin flip is way down the list, even in leagues with unbalanced schedules.

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 07:02 PM
PV will not go to the playoffs.They have a chance to go.

813Jag
November 17th, 2008, 07:10 PM
PV will not go to the playoffs. I don't see why the coin flip comes so early in the tie-breaking procedures. Typically, a coin flip is way down the list, even in leagues with unbalanced schedules.
Basically all other tiebreakers cancel out. The coin flip is option f. xconfusedx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I am real, real happy they are giving a serious chance for PV A&M to make either the playoffs or SWAC championship game. And I'm glad the SWAC leadership is on the ball and getting this done before Selection Sunday.

It shows respect for both postseason opportunities, the SWAC Championship and the playoffs! xthumbsupx

Having said that, will the PV A&M coach have a coin with 2 tails on it?

813Jag
November 17th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I am real, real happy they are giving a serious chance for PV A&M to make either the playoffs or SWAC championship game. And I'm glad the SWAC leadership is on the ball and getting this done before Selection Sunday.

It shows respect for both postseason opportunities, the SWAC Championship and the playoffs! xthumbsupx

Having said that, will the PV A&M coach have a coin with 2 tails on it?
No, all coins will be coming from Southern. xlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 17th, 2008, 07:49 PM

xlolx

JagHammer
November 17th, 2008, 08:10 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2008, 08:22 PM
They have a chance to go.

I just do not see the GPI falling favorably and the SWAC as a whole has had one of their worse seasons in recent years (looking at OOC success). Last year, a PV team with a similar record had a much better shot than this year's squad. A shame too...I like PV a lot and if they had played and beat SHSU, it would add a bit more to their argument, despite SHSU's record, their GPI was better than the entire SWAC as of last week.

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2008, 11:40 PM
The Bayou Classic is Thanksgiving Weekend, a week after the playoffs start. Thats why they are doing the coin flip Friday, so if PV loses they have the opportunity to go to the playoffs, if selected.
Yeah but if they win the toss, and are selected for the playoffs (yeah it would be a major surprise); then they don't have a chance to win their conference championship.

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 18th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Yeah but if they win the toss, and are selected for the playoffs (yeah it would be a major surprise); then they don't have a chance to win their conference championship.
If they win the toss the playoffs are out. If they lose the toss, they still have a opportunity to go to the playoffs.

GOODY26
November 18th, 2008, 07:17 AM
xpeacex Ok, so if Paririe View does not win the coin toss do you think the selection committee would actually select Paririe View for one of the spot in the playoff? A Flordia A&M team could win 9 games will probably not get in the playoff. I would like to see Paririe View get in, but pass history tell me that its not going happen.

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM
xpeacex Ok, so if Paririe View does not win the coin toss do you think the selection committee would actually select Paririe View for one of the spot in the playoff? A Flordia A&M team could win 9 games will probably not get in the playoff. I would like to see Paririe View get in, but pass history tell me that its not going happen.

And that cancelled SHSU game...no matter what their record is now...would have helped matters even more. 10-1 PV with their only loss coming to Grambling (potential SWAC champions), and eight Div. 1 victories (not to mention the SWAC's ONLY OOC win). Has a better argument than a 9-1 squad who barely meets the requirements to make the playoffs.

813Jag
November 18th, 2008, 07:40 AM
And that cancelled SHSU game...no matter what their record is now...would have helped matters even more. 10-1 PV with their only loss coming to Grambling (potential SWAC champions), and eight Div. 1 victories (not to mention the SWAC's ONLY OOC win). Has a better argument than a 9-1 squad who barely meets the requirements to make the playoffs.
Actually Valley (xsmhx ) has the only OOC FCS win for the SWAC. I curse my team for those 7 points they could get. xnonono2x

Panther88
November 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM
This irks me. :( The coin flip so early on w/out Gram having played Southern makes zero sense to me.

We'd love to go FCS playoffs, if it were to happen. :( I know it's a severely outside chance but it's my understanding that we're lobbying like crazy to make it happen. :(

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Panther88, I don't see why you're mad? It would come down to a coin flip anyway. If it happens before the playoff selection, at least you have a chance to make the FCS playoffs if you lose the toss. Otherwise, you would wait until after the playoff selection committee and wonder what could have been.

Now, it may be that you are hoping that PV A&M goes to the SCG instead of the playoffs, which I could understand. But having the coin flip before only increases your chances of postseason play. IMO.

813Jag
November 18th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Panther88, I don't see why you're mad? It would come down to a coin flip anyway. If it happens before the playoff selection, at least you have a chance to make the FCS playoffs if you lose the toss. Otherwise, you would wait until after the playoff selection committee and wonder what could have been.

Now, it may be that you are hoping that PV A&M goes to the SCG instead of the playoffs, which I could understand. But having the coin flip before only increases your chances of postseason play. IMO.
Some people feel like the league will look out for Southern. xlolx xreadx

jstate83
November 18th, 2008, 09:04 AM
:D Whoever it is, we waiting again. :D
We "Baltimored Ravened" our way back this year on defense.xnodx
http://static.flickr.com/32/92605567_8bbe71d489.jpg

jstate83
November 18th, 2008, 09:04 AM

:D :D :D :D
We owe ya'll for that last second TD in 1999.xmadx

813Jag
November 18th, 2008, 09:38 AM
:D :D :D :D
We owe ya'll for that last second TD in 1999.xmadx
Never should have let y'all get close in the first place. xlolx

Panther88
November 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Look out for Southern? xconfusedx I thought the entire staff wore blue/gold to work every single day. xlolx

SU minted the 3 coins, on both sides of the coins are Jag heads lol, and the ones doing the flipping are SU grads. xlolx How can we defeat those odds? xlolx

WileECoyote06
November 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM
So SWAC still stands for Southern Will Always Cheat?

CJHawkeyes
November 18th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I don't know how many tiebreakers the SWAC has, but I have to believe there are still several ideas better than a coin toss. That is ridiculous.

813Jag
November 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Look out for Southern? xconfusedx I thought the entire staff wore blue/gold to work every single day. xlolx

SU minted the 3 coins, on both sides of the coins are Jag heads lol, and the ones doing the flipping are SU grads. xlolx How can we defeat those odds? xlolx
Just wait, I'm making plans to be there and flip the coin, like on Friday Night Lights. xlolx

813Jag
November 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM
So SWAC still stands for Southern Will Always Cheat?
when did it ever? xconfusedx Remember Southern had a long drought from 1975-1993.

SWAC needs to go back to meaning Southern Wins Another Championship. xlolx

813Jag
November 18th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I don't know how many tiebreakers the SWAC has, but I have to believe there are still several ideas better than a coin toss. That is ridiculous.

2. THREE (OR MORE) TEAM TIE
(Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie breaker format)
a. Head-to-head competition between the tied teams.
b. Records of the tied teams within the division.
c. Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
d. Overall record versus non-division teams.
e. Combined record versus all common non-divisional teams.
f. Record versus common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.

CJHawkeyes
November 18th, 2008, 12:49 PM
2. THREE (OR MORE) TEAM TIE
(Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie breaker format)
a. Head-to-head competition between the tied teams.
b. Records of the tied teams within the division.
c. Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
d. Overall record versus non-division teams.
e. Combined record versus all common non-divisional teams.
f. Record versus common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.

I was bored so I thought I'd see if I could devise a better tiebreaker. I picked the winners in the remaining games, but here is my idea:

1-Best Conference Record (All three teams finish 6-1 if Grambling beats Texas Southern and loses to Southern)

2-Best Division Record (All finish 3-1)

3-Best Head-to-Head Record (All finish 1-1)

4-Best Conference Schedule (Southern 24-25, Grambling 22-27, PVA&M 22-27)

5-Best Conference Net Points

6-Best Division Net Points

7-Best Head-to Head Net Points

8-Best Seed (Teams are seeded according to previous year's conference finish)

There may be a better idea than #8 but it beats a coin toss and allows everyone to know where they stand from the start. That said, I only needed three tiebreakers to ensure that the Bayou Classic is for the division title and PVA&M can campaign for a playoff berth. BTW, I have no dog in this fight. Just think a coin toss is a horrible idea and that people should have better ideas than that.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2008, 01:01 PM
It's nice that you're coming up with this, but keep in mind a bunch of conferences in FCS would have the same issues with tiebreakers that SWAC West is happening now.

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I was bored so I thought I'd see if I could devise a better tiebreaker. I picked the winners in the remaining games, but here is my idea:

1-Best Conference Record (All three teams finish 6-1 if Grambling beats Texas Southern and loses to Southern)

2-Best Division Record (All finish 3-1)

3-Best Head-to-Head Record (All finish 1-1)

4-Best Conference Schedule (Southern 24-25, Grambling 22-27, PVA&M 22-27)

5-Best Conference Net Points

6-Best Division Net Points

7-Best Head-to Head Net Points

8-Best Seed (Teams are seeded according to previous year's conference finish)

There may be a better idea than #8 but it beats a coin toss and allows everyone to know where they stand from the start. That said, I only needed three tiebreakers to ensure that the Bayou Classic is for the division title and PVA&M can campaign for a playoff berth. BTW, I have no dog in this fight. Just think a coin toss is a horrible idea and that people should have better ideas than that.They took out points because some teams IE Grambling under Melvin Spears, were running up the score on folks, which I have no problem with. A college team should be able to stop someone from putting up 60.

SU Jag
November 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Could u guys imagine a Southern J Stank.........I mean J State SWAC title game!xeekx At least 60,000+ for that one!

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
http://www.swac.org/ssp/news?news_id=533

If the coin flip is necessary to break the tie between the three teams, it would occur Sunday, Nov. 30 in New Orleans at a location to be announced.

WESTERN DIVISION TITLE SCENARIOS

Grambling State (8-2, 5-0) can win the division outright with:

Victories over Texas Southern and Southern, giving the Tigers the best division record, OR

A loss to Texas Southern and a win over Southern, which would give the Tigers the head-to-head tie breaker over both Prairie View A&M and Southern.

A win over Texas Southern and a loss to Southern would force a three-team coin flip.

Grambling State is eliminated from division title contention with losses to both Texas Southern and Southern.

Prairie View A&M (9-1, 6-1) can win the division outright with:

Grambling State losing its final two games to Texas Southern and Southern, which would give the Panthers the head-to-head tiebreaker over Southern.

A Grambling State win over Texas Southern and a loss to Southern would force a three-team coin flip.

The Panthers are eliminated from division title contention if Grambling State wins its final two games over Texas Southern and Southern.

By virtue of being in conference title contention, the Panthers are not eligible for the FCS playoffs.

Southern (6-4, 5-1):

Can only win the division through a three-team coin flip.

The Jaguars must have Grambling State defeat Texas Southern AND Southern must defeat Grambling State to force the proposed three-team coin flip.

Southern is eliminated from division title contention with a loss to Grambling State.

Well it looks like Prairie View A&M will not be in the playoff mix after all...shame xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM
SLAM.....

So much for Texas State/PV A&M... xsmhx

MaximumBobcat
November 19th, 2008, 04:02 PM
SLAM.....

GD. xmadx

tingly
November 19th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Coaches hate net points cuz they feel like they have to run up the score instead of playing the bench. I prefer 'longest since being in the playoffs' to 'last year's order of finish', spread the love.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Its almost like Prairie View is being held hostage by their own conference. I guess this means now that to be eligible for the playoffs, a SWAC team needs to finish second in their division so as not to be included in the SCG, but also not be involved in any tie-breaker scenarios involving either Grambling and/or Southern...AND on top of that have an OOC strong enough to make up for playing within their conference.

So you would need to have an undefeated winner of your division who has played a brutal and I mean BRUTAL schedule, have them to be your ONLY loss (10-1), have your schedule be a Top 20 in the country, i.e. beat an "App State" or a few FBS squads. And have the rest of your fellow conference mates play tough schedules as well and win those games. Not to mention not being involved in any tie-breaker scenarios involving the Bayou Classic whatsoever.

Too many hurdles, too many rings to jump through in my eyes. I don't think that we'll ever see another SWAC team participate in the playoffs. xsmhx

Panther88
November 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM
SLAM.....

Fuggin' ridiculous. We wanted to travel to McN or TxSt, if possible. :(

jstate83
November 19th, 2008, 05:03 PM
They took out points because some teams IE Grambling under Melvin Spears, were running up the score on folks, which I have no problem with. A college team should be able to stop someone from putting up 60.

Coaches hate net points cuz they feel like they have to run up the score instead of playing the bench. I prefer 'longest since being in the playoffs' to 'last year's order of finish', spread the love.

They go back to point's in this conference, there would be a fight somewhere every weekend. xlolx

Back in the 1980's, JSU and Gram would literally try to bust the clock on team's although JSU was the only team that got stuck with that label.
Melvin Spear's kept the tradition alive in a big way. xlolx

No way the SWAC go back to point's as a tie breaker.
Team's in this conference have no mercy when given the chance.

I still remember the coach from P. View cussing Cardell Jones out when he had Air McNair.
They still play that clip on the new's here to this day right before that game.
He told him one day P. View was not going to be down and out and they was going to bust the clock on Alcorn.
Cardell Jones was literally throwing the ball with a 55 point lead. xlolx

Bamma State posted a 92 point win on P. View and we posted 76 point's on them.

813Jag
November 19th, 2008, 05:26 PM
If the coin flip is necessary to break the tie between the three teams, it would occur Sunday, Nov. 30 in New Orleans at a location to be announced.

Location = Baton Rouge, LA 70813 xlolx

813Jag
November 19th, 2008, 05:27 PM
They go back to point's in this conference, there would be a fight somewhere every weekend. xlolx

Back in the 1980's, JSU and Gram would literally try to bust the clock on team's although JSU was the only team that got stuck with that label.
Melvin Spear's kept the tradition alive in a big way. xlolx

No way the SWAC go back to point's as a tie breaker.
Team's in this conference have no mercy when given the chance.

I still remember the coach from P. View cussing Cardell Jones out when he had Air McNair.
They still play that clip on the new's here to this day right before that game.
He told him one day P. View was not going to be down and out and they was going to bust the clock on Alcorn.
Cardell Jones was literally throwing the ball with a 55 point lead. xlolx

Bamma State posted a 92 point win on P. View and we posted 76 point's on them.
Southern can put up points, but Pete would lose on that tiebreaker because he likes to sit on leads. xnonono2x