PDA

View Full Version : Best Rivalry?

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 01:12 PM
This one is for you 19Duke97. I know there was a thread a month or two ago, but it was ranking them, not voting on best one. Given this is rivalry week for many I-AA's... which rivalry is the best?

As ususal, people will complain their rivalry isn't listed.... I can only list 10. If you don't like my list, make yer own. :p

CatFan22
November 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Cat/Griz

danefan
November 17th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Are there really any other worth considering besides:

Lehigh/Lafayette
Harvard/Yale
Montana/Montana State

Go...gate
November 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Colgate - Cornell
Princeton - Yale
The Citadel - VMI

smcwildcat
November 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
mass Nh or maine Nh

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Are there really any other worth considering besides:

Lehigh/Lafayette
Harvard/Yale
Montana/Montana State
What do you think after seeing the choices? xeyebrowx xpeacex

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
What about JMU-Towson - Brawl of the Sprawl??

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM
mass Nh or maine Nh
Ahhh, see there's the problem. Those with two = no real rivalry. Besides, what about UNH vs Dartmouth?... The Granite Bowl.

Grizzaholic
November 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Brawl

skinny_uncle
November 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Doesn't some variation of this thread pop up about three times a year around here?

Mntneer
November 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I guess it depends on what criteria you use, but it's hard to vote for App/Western due to the huge gap that's opened up between the quality of those programs. Hopefully Wagner will keep WCU on track to renew this rivalry....just not this year ;)

Eaglesrus
November 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Don't know what 10 are on your list since I don't see a list, but I would hope that our rivalry with Furman is on it. Starting in '85 when we beat them for the national championship, then them returning the favor in '88, then us joining the conference and playing them every year, many times with a conference championship on the line, or situations like this year and last (with them knocking us out of playoff contention last year and us quite possibly having done the same to them Saturday) it might not be the oldest but I think it's got to be one of the most meaningful.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 17th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Ahhh, see there's the problem. Those with two = no real rivalry. Besides, what about UNH vs Dartmouth?... The Granite Bowl.

Correct on 2=0

UMass or Maine no way Dartmouth.....

One thing, to be listed with those other games, rain or no, you should have more then 6200 in the stands with the playoffs on the line.

asucrutch23
Lehigh/Lafayette or Harvard/Yale. Went with Lehigh/Lafayette.

appstate1998
gotta go Harvard vs Yale myself....the 125th meeting and the series isn't that big of a difference 65-51-8

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Don't know what 10 are on your list since I don't see a list, but I would hope that our rivalry with Furman is on it
Then get a name for it. :p

IABison
November 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
NDSU-SDSU has all the makings of a great rivalry... just need to give it a few more years... xnodx

Eaglesrus
November 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Don't know what 10 are on your list since I don't see a list, but I would hope that our rivalry with Furman is on it. Starting in '85 when we beat them for the national championship, then them returning the favor in '88, then us joining the conference and playing them every year, many times with a conference championship on the line, or situations like this year and last (with them knocking us out of playoff contention last year and us quite possibly having done the same to them Saturday) it might not be the oldest but I think it's got to be one of the most meaningful.

Then get a name for it. :p

Huh, now it shows up as a poll for me so I got to vote. Since the one I mentioned isn't a choice I had to vote for the Military Classic of the South. Two reasons: 1) I like the name, and 2) the idea that a game between VMI and The Citadel would be a classic xlolx xlolx

jaxstatealum
November 17th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Harvard/Yale

Benne
November 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I had to go with Cat-Griz, I've never been to "the game," but I'd love to see it.

th0m
November 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM
What about JMU-Towson - Brawl of the Sprawl??

I was about to mention this classic matchup xlolx

SunCoastBlueHen
November 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I think the game with the best combination of history and tradition on that list has to be Harvard / Yale. That got my vote.

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Only one of these games is nationally televised. xpeacex

GOODY26
November 17th, 2008, 02:05 PM
xthumbsupx 75000 folks in the Superdome is someting to behold.

813Jag
November 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
My vote goes to the Bayou Classic. (surprise xlolx) Because it has something for everybody.

AppStateLumbee
November 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Is it really a rivalry when one team dominates the another?

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 17th, 2008, 02:52 PM
No disrespect to the Cats or the Griz, but I can't see how any rivalry at this level matches up to Harvard/Yale.

appstate38
November 17th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I had to go with the Bayou Classic if for no other reason, because of the fact it was/is always on TV.

catbob
November 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Harvard/Yale rarely has national implications though. IMHO if you aren't going to the playoffs, it takes a lot of the luster outside those directly involved with the rivalry itself.

I think Cat/Griz is unique because it is the biggest show in the entire state, not just in the college ranks, but in any capacity.

If there was a bigger stadium in the state somewhere, I don't see any reason it wouldn't draw upwards of 50,000 (31k or so Griz, 16k or so Cats, and then casual fans that just want to watch some big time football).

Big Dawg
November 17th, 2008, 03:09 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/FloridaClassic.png

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Gotta go with H-Y, all that history and tradition, even though it opens me up to charges of being a...

xhomerx xhomerx

:p

Big Dawg
November 17th, 2008, 03:12 PM
ONE MORE TIME

DSUrocks07
November 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM

I would have included this in the poll over UC Davis-Sac State...but thats just my ECB coming through...xlolx

Bayou Classic, hands down. Like 813Jag said, it has something for everybody. xnodx

813Jag
November 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xblWzYoXMEI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xblWzYoXMEI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

813Jag
November 17th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I posted this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xblWzYoXMEI) before, but I figured this was a good place to post it again.

Another reason why the Classic is the best rivalry game: you get to hang with 813jag. xthumbsupx

Big Dawg
November 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqRDjb13BM8

Ok I'm done...lol

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 03:27 PM
ONE MORE TIME

FloridaClassic
Yeah, that was one I should have worked in there. 70k on average since moving to Orlando, some close games recently after FAMU owned the series for a while... xthumbsupx

DX Man
November 17th, 2008, 03:28 PM
As much as I would like to vote for ASU-vs-WCU I just couldn't do it. This game has turned into nothing more than a chance for WCU try and pull off the improbable and put a bright spot on their losing seasons. The WCU administration has destroyed that program. Maybe the new coach can bring that program back up to a decent level of play and make The Battle for the Old Mountain Jug mean something again.xnutsx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Lehigh/Lafayette is "The Rivalry".

And it's the best. xsmiley_wix

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I think there are really only two of these that are even in contention..
Lehigh-Lafayette and Hahvahd-Yale

80 Griz
November 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Brawl of the Wild the biggest game in the state of Montana

technocat
November 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Cat/Griz for sure. Especially since it has gotten competitive again in the last couple years. There's electricity in the air like nothing else I've ever experienced.

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Although The Game is pretty major and alot of history goes into that game...Cat/Griz is the best so to speak in the FCS

Pattycakes
November 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Cat/Griz hands down. I am a university of minnesota student and have watched the past two battles for paul bunyan's axe (minnesota vs. wisconsin, which happens to be the oldest rivalry in FBS), and i have to say that the atmosphere at Camp Randall doesn't even come close to the atmosphere at wa/griz during a cat/griz game

bench
November 17th, 2008, 07:04 PM
How did the nation's worst rivalry make it as the first listing on a poll about the nation's best rivalry

YaleFootballFan
November 17th, 2008, 07:05 PM
History. Tradition. The Game.

http://www.prlog.org/10048037-harvard-and-yale-symbols.jpg

ValleyChamp
November 17th, 2008, 07:13 PM
The MVFC vs. UNI is the best rivalry.

Thunderstruck84
November 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Only one of these games is nationally televised. xpeacex
My thoughts exactly xnodx

WUTNDITWAA
November 17th, 2008, 08:03 PM
History. Tradition. The Game.

http://www.prlog.org/10048037-harvard-and-yale-symbols.jpg

Nothing can compare. Army/Navy and Amherst/Williams come close.

HiHiYikas
November 17th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I don't mean to say that the Brawl isn't special, but there are versions of Montana/Montana State all over the country.

There's pretty much nothing else out there like Harvard - Yale.

ngineer
November 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM
A few years ago I was in Southern California on business, but found time to catch a Dodgers game. I wore my Lehigh hat and while standing in line, two guys in front of me asked whether I was an alum. For over 10 years they have traveled across the country, each year, to see one of the 'classic' rivalry games (regardless of division)., and readily stated that the intensity they witnessed at the Lehigh-Lafayette Game was not exceeded by any other, including Michigan/Ohio State, Pitt/West Virginia, Auburn/Alabama, Harvard/Yale. Number 144 coming up!xthumbsupx

wkuhillhound
November 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Grambling/Southern, absolutely and positively the best. Watch the Bayou Classic on TV. The Battle of the Bands is sweet! xthumbsupx

JackTwice
November 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I think SDSU v NDSU has the makings of a great rivalry but its too early. Got to go with the one that is simply named "The Game"

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM
my homer pick would be App/WCU, but to be a rivalry, both teams have to have a chance to win. so i went with Montana/MSU.......easy pick, especially after i saw how much their tickets are going for....

SU Jag
November 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM
How could you have this list without including the two largest attended games in FCS the Magic City Classic and The Florida Classic. Magic City Classic tickets are sold in 26-states and it is one of the largest sporting events in the state of Alabama. The Florida Classic has become HBCUs prized classic game over the past few years!

coover
November 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM
there are versions of Montana/Montana State all over the country.

There's pretty much nothing else out there like Harvard - Yale.

Not having been able to visit areas around the Ivy League, it is difficult for me to know what the long time Harvard - Yale rivalry actually means to folks in that area .... but

I have been to Missoula and to Bozeman, and I've never seen any other area more involved in supporting their University Football teams. Particularly in Missoula, every business has "Griz" posters on their wall and most cars have Montana bumper stickers or UM decals. Those folks are huge fans, and the two schools are close enough for the visiting team fans to show up in big numbers. Those Montanans (I hope that is the right word) are football crazy, and it is no wonder that year in and year out, Montana is one of the best FCS teams in the nation. Every little boy grows up dreaming of playing for Montana. Of course. Montana State is jealous, but their dream is beating UM every year.

Montana - Montana State is not just a big game, it is a HUGE game, Harvard - Yale may be important because of the history of the event and the pride a win generates, but, somehow, I just can't see even the possibility that it is as big or important as Montana - Montana State.

And that is from a Cal Poly alum and fan, whose biggest traditional game is with Cal Davis, the "Battle for the Golden Horseshoe." But I've been out of school for a long time. When I was a student, the most important game was Cal Poly vs. Fresno State (both were D-II at the time). And the favorite pastime at the game was "passing up" anybody dressed in red.

Silenoz
November 17th, 2008, 09:20 PM
We need two polls!

Best "rivalry"

and

Best BBQ/band competition/large social gathering between two teams from the SWAC

trouthunter
November 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Man, all homerism aside; Cat/Griz has to be one of the best rivalries in all of FCS.

There are satellite parties in 41 states.

coover
November 17th, 2008, 09:26 PM
A few years ago I was in Southern California on business, but found time to catch a Dodgers game. I wore my Lehigh hat

You'r lucky that one of the thugs that attend Dodger games didn't decide to beat the heck out of you for wearing anything but Dodger gear. The Los Angeles gangs have invaded Dodger Stadium and it is a dangerous place to go if you do not appear to be a Dodger (or Oakland Raiders) fan.

If you want to see a Major League Baseball game safely, head on down to Anaheim.

SU Jag
November 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
We need two polls!

Best "rivalry"

and

Best BBQ/band competition/large social gathering between two teams from the SWAC

Are you trying to say that the SWAC does not have "rivalries"? So just how many SWAC or HBCU rilvalry games have you attended?xwhistlex

813Jag
November 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM
We need two polls!

Best "rivalry"

and

I beg to differ, at the heart of it all is a rivalry. North vs. South, Country vs. City, family vs. family. No matter the sport fans will turn out to see Southern vs. Grambling. It's not our fault the game became part of an event. I thank Coach Rob for pushing this game to the point it is at.

813Jag
November 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Are you trying to say that the SWAC does not have "rivalries"? So just how many SWAC or HBCU rilvalry games have you attended?xwhistlex
You know all we have is a big party. 65K+ come to party, you know we don't care about the game. xrolleyesx

Mountain Panther
November 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM
UNI vs Drake!

xcoffeex

ValleyChamp
November 17th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Yes!! Intensity at its highest!

Kanitapja
November 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I think SDSU v NDSU has the makings of a great rivalry but its too early.

Reposted pic...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Bunnies/SDSUJacksBrookingsBunnyRabbitlittle.jpg

Yeah, I guess those first 105 years don't count for much. Definitely a little early to tell.

ValleyChamp
November 17th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Wow. Those are impressive mascots Dakota people. Ferocious, to say the least...

Uncle Rico's Clan
November 17th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I have a friend who went to Harvard, his friends at Harvard always talked about how big the Harvard/Yale rivalry is. He brought a few of his friends to the Griz Cat game, from that point on he said his friends said the "game" doesn't even compare with the Brawl of the Wild.

Native
November 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM
The Wildcats claim Idaho State as a rivalry game, but Weber has owned Holt Arena for the past few years. xcoolx

Hopefully the Weber-Montana games will grow in to a big rivalry. I know the Grizz will want it pretty bad the next time out, and every time WSU beats 'em, they'll just want it more and more. Same with the Bobcats.... Those bears and kitties are going to be HUNGRY over the next three years! xsmiley_wix

In the SWAC, Alcorn and Southern is always a good crowd, great tailgate, and great bands, and the Capitol City Classic in Jackson is always packed with about 45,000 folks. The bands are ALWAYS great regardless of the football... but Alcorn beat Jackson State and Comegy last time I was there in '06, by a single point. xnodx

Silenoz
November 17th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I'm not saying they aren't rivalries. I am saying that I think its ridiculous to call them "the" FCS rivalry (with the possible exception of Southern-Grambling, like I covered in the other thread). And it will be hard to convince me that a lot of those games aren't just dressed up pageantry between teams that have as little love for one another as many other teams from the SOCON/CAA/Southland/etc have for each other.

SU Jag
November 17th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I'm not saying they aren't rivalries. I am saying that I think its ridiculous to call them "the" FCS rivalry (with the possible exception of Southern-Grambling, like I covered in the other thread). And it will be hard to convince me that a lot of those games aren't just dressed up pageantry between teams that have as little love for one another as many other teams from the SOCON/CAA/Southland/etc have for each other.

Have you been to either rilvalry to judge either way? I seriously doubt it so you honestly couldn't speak on any HBCU rilvalry because you know nothing about them. AAMU/Bama State is one of the most intense rilvalries in the nation, so is FAMU/BCC. This list can't be complete without adding those games.

Silenoz
November 17th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Have you been to either rilvalry to judge either way? I seriously doubt it so you honestly couldn't speak on any HBCU rilvalry because you know nothing about them. AAMU/Bama State is one of the most intense rilvalries in the nation, so is FAMU/BCC. This list can't be complete without adding those games.
I have to have attended the games in person to have an opinion on them?

And I don't suppose you've been to GSU-Furman, Lehigh-Lafayette, Harvard-Yale, or UM-MSU?

Obviously no one here (probably) has been to every stadium in the country, fully experienced every team, and attained a complete, bias-free view of every college gameday in the country in which to non-subjectively answer a poll like this.

griz&beer
November 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM
To get a ticket to this game you need a $100 bill at least. StubHub $250 to over $1000.

89rabbit
November 17th, 2008, 11:09 PM
NDSU vs SDUS - The Dakota Marker Trophy . . . Who the heck is SDUS? xconfusedx xoopsx xnonono2x

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2008, 11:14 PM
To get a ticket to this game you need a $100 bill at least. StubHub $250 to over $1000.

xeekx

I knew I should have bought a guest pass. xnonono2x

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Has anyone's coach been verbally assaulted a former player because he lost a game versus their rival? Have any of your current players been cursed at by your own fans from the sidelines?

Grambling and Southern is on some other stuff in terms of rivalry.

GSU hired Rod Broadway months after he took a NCCU down to Southern and defeated them pretty handily. Nothing says I want to beat my rival more than that. That'd be like Florida State trying to hire Houston Nutt at the end of this season because he's beaten Florida.

Thundar
November 17th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Cat/Griz hands down. I am a university of minnesota student and have watched the past two battles for paul bunyan's axe (minnesota vs. wisconsin, which happens to be the oldest rivalry in FBS), and i have to say that the atmosphere at Camp Randall doesn't even come close to the atmosphere at wa/griz during a cat/griz game

Camp Randall trumps Wa/griz ANYTIME!! not even close in atmosphere of course you were there for a gopher game alsoxpeacex

fargocyclone
November 18th, 2008, 12:37 AM
The Dakota Marker is much too young to be the best FCS rivalry in the country.

uofmman1122
November 18th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Camp Randall trumps Wa/griz ANYTIME!! not even close in atmosphere of course you were there for a gopher game alsoxpeacexYou've obviously never been to a Cat/Griz game in Missoula. xpeacex

In case anyone missed it, the last Cat/Griz game in Missoula:

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=7159&m=18

UMass922
November 18th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I voted for The Brawl of the Wild. That seems to be the premier sporting event in its state/region in a way that most of the others listed aren't.

As for Harvard-Yale: it may have name recognition that few sporting events in the country can match, but as a lifelong New Englander, I have to say that it's just not something that people in the region really get juiced about.

ButlerGSU
November 18th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Other.

Uncle Rico's Clan
November 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM

I noticed on StubHub the other day that someone is trying to sell two Griz Cat tickets for over $2400 each. It's completely ridiculous, but it goes to show how much some value these tickets.

Grizzaholic
November 18th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Anybody that pays more than 100 bucks for a ticket, provided it is not in the Hoity-Toity section, is a tool plain and simple.

appirishmen
November 18th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Montana vs Montana State - Brawl of the Wild

sadly the app-wcu rivalry hasnt been much of a show the past generation.

Retro
November 18th, 2008, 11:24 AM
THE BATTLE FOR THE SLC TROPHYxcoolx

McNeese state vs Northwestern State... xrulesx

This is probably the best on field SLC rivalry because it usually determines the conference champ and regardless of either team's record it's also a close game.... It would be bigger if NWST fans would just show up more often.

sharkeycox
November 18th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that the Grambling-Southern game is not the biggest FCS game every year.

I am not a SWAC fan, but the Bayou Classic is what it is.xeyebrowx

Hellgate60
November 18th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I have to say that the Brawl of the wild is the biggest in the FCS because it has playoff implications. The winner of the Bayou classic or The Game is not going to affect other teams around the country. I'm just comparing the Brawl of the Wild to the Bayou Classic and The Game. I know other rivalries have playoff implications

Pattycakes
November 18th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Camp Randall trumps Wa/griz ANYTIME!! not even close in atmosphere of course you were there for a gopher game alsoxpeacex

The pre-game tailgate atmosphere was better at camp randall but other than that Wa/griz is better hands down.....don't get me wrong, Camp Randall had a great atmosphere but it was tame compared to Wa/griz for cat/griz.

Big Dawg
November 18th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that the Grambling-Southern game is not the biggest FCS game every year.

I love watching the Bayou Classic and everything that the Bayou Classic has accompished, but it's not the "biggest" game every year any more...:D

And to my SU and GSU fans...ya'll knew I was gonna say that...xlolx

Big Dawg
November 18th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I have to say that the Brawl of the wild is the biggest in the FCS because it has playoff implications. The winner of the Bayou classic or The Game is not going to affect other teams around the country. I'm just comparing the Brawl of the Wild to the Bayou Classic and The Game. I know other rivalries have playoff implications

The Florida Classic has had playoff implications before as well...and if FAMU and BCU didn't stumble against Morgan State, we could be talking about a battle for an At-Large birth.

Thundar
November 18th, 2008, 12:47 PM
You've obviously never been to a Cat/Griz game in Missoula. xpeacex

nope but I was there when NDSU played in 03, and even the horrible games at CR have bigger atmosphere! Big Ten vs. Big Sky no comparison (even as much as I hate the B10:) )

Pattycakes
November 18th, 2008, 12:52 PM
nope but I was there when NDSU played in 03, and even the horrible games at CR have bigger atmosphere! Big Ten vs. Big Sky no comparison (even as much as I hate the B10:) )

Bigger....maybe, better or more intense....no way.

mtgrizfankb
November 18th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Montana/ Montana state game..... i think its better right now due to the fact it usually has the most implications for playoffs and bigsky title. But this year for the 108th meeting i think it losses a little something cause griz are in and cats are out. but still prob the best out there:)

WileECoyote06
November 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Conversely, the Bayou Classic is soo big, those teams would rather not PLAY in the playoffs. Remember the SWAC championship game is relatively new. The winner of the Bayou Classic would have a playoff berth on the line probably 85% of the time if the classic were played the weekend before Thanksgiving. xthumbsupx

And that is with many other things to do, and football games to attend in Louisiana. Much of Montana/Montana State's attendance is from fans who don't have many entertainment options to compete for their money.

Grizalltheway
November 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Conversely, the Bayou Classic is soo big, those teams would rather not PLAY in the playoffs. Remember the SWAC championship game is relatively new. The winner of the Bayou Classic would have a playoff berth on the line probably 85% of the time if the classic were played the weekend before Thanksgiving. xthumbsupx

And that is with many other things to do, and football games to attend in Louisiana. Much of Montana/Montana State's attendance is from fans who don't have many entertainment options to compete for their money.

And how many fans at the Bayou Classic are only there for the bands? xeyebrowx

WileECoyote06
November 18th, 2008, 01:58 PM

If that were the case they can attend the Battle of the Bands on Friday night. Those folks are in the Dome to see a football game.

jmufan999
November 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM
we definitely need a rival. it seems to be Delaware at times... then Richmond.... then W&M. we don't seem to have a clear rival.

ElCid99
November 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
For those of you that have never been to the Silver Shako match (Citadel vs VMI), you are missing out. It will be back in 2010 due to The Citadel's need to pay their bills on a monsterous stadium that never gets filled.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
we definitely need a rival. it seems to be Delaware at times... then Richmond.... then W&M. we don't seem to have a clear rival.

I agree. The problem is that those other teams have another clear rival. ODU will probably suffice in a few years.

813Jag
November 18th, 2008, 02:36 PM
45K come for the bands which factors into about 25% of the game crowd. xeyebrowx Lots of diehards (ie season ticket holders) come to New Orleans on Saturday. Friday is for the younger crowd.

Big Dawg
November 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM

The bands only ADD to the atmosphere

Pards Rule
November 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM
A few years ago I was in Southern California on business, but found time to catch a Dodgers game. I wore my Lehigh hat and while standing in line, two guys in front of me asked whether I was an alum. For over 10 years they have traveled across the country, each year, to see one of the 'classic' rivalry games (regardless of division)., and readily stated that the intensity they witnessed at the Lehigh-Lafayette Game was not exceeded by any other, including Michigan/Ohio State, Pitt/West Virginia, Auburn/Alabama, Harvard/Yale. Number 144 coming up!xthumbsupx

A FINE endorsement indeed!

Retro
November 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
The problem with the BAYOU classic is that it doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.. It only impacts that division of the SWAC.. It has no bearing on the playoffs or other teams that may make the playoffs..

It is one of the biggest rivalrys in all of college football..xcoolx

Maybe the poll quesiton should be Which is the biggest rivalry in the FCS among playoff eligible teams?xthumbsupx

GrizFamily
November 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Griz/Cat people!!! Get it right.

Peems
November 18th, 2008, 04:07 PM
A poster a few pages back brought up the fact that there are tons of "UM/MSU" rivalries all over the country. But there is one difference, Cat/Griz is the biggest show in the entire state. No other state has the ability to claim that they are the biggest most "professional" show for sports in the entire area! Well maybe West Virginia! xlolx

WileECoyote06
November 18th, 2008, 04:24 PM
A poster a few pages back brought up the fact that there are tons of "UM/MSU" rivalries all over the country. But there is one difference, Cat/Griz is the only show in the entire state. No other state has the ability to claim that they are the biggest most "professional" show for sports in the entire area! Well maybe West Virginia! xlolx

Corrected that for you. I'm sure that states which have cities of over 200K people are put at a disadvantage.

Grizzaholic
November 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Corrected that for you. I'm sure that states which have cities of over 200K people are put at a disadvantage.

Who would want a city that big?

OLDMAIN80
November 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
My vote goes to the Bayou Classic. (surprise xlolx) Because it has something for everybody.

Got my vote tooxthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Harvard-Yale. Not even close.

"Gentlemen, you are about to play Harvard. Never in your life will you do anything so important."
- T.A. Dwight Jones, 1925

Grizalltheway
November 18th, 2008, 05:19 PM
45K come for the bands which factors into about 25% of the game crowd. xeyebrowx Lots of diehards (ie season ticket holders) come to New Orleans on Saturday. Friday is for the younger crowd.

I can guarantee you less than 1% of the fans at the Brawl are there to see the bands. xnodx

813Jag
November 18th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I can guarantee you less than 1% of the fans at the Brawl are there to see the bands. xnodx
That's good for them. xthumbsupx Honestly I dont' care why people are at the game, I know why I'm there. Besides that doesn't change the impact of the game.

GOKATS
November 18th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Cat/griz no doubt. I never call it the 'brawl of the wild', can't even remember where the hell the phrase came from- maybe Montana Power way back when but I think they called it the 'divide war' or something similar.

uofmman1122
November 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Cat/griz no doubt. I never call it the 'brawl of the wild', can't even remember where the hell the phrase came from- maybe Montana Power way back when but I think they called it the 'divide war' or something similar.That's the title of the book that goes through every game through 2002. The Divide War

I think every Cat or Griz fan should have one. It's a pretty awesome book.

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Cat/griz no doubt. I never call it the 'brawl of the wild', can't even remember where the hell the phrase came from- maybe Montana Power way back when but I think they called it the 'divide war' or something similar.

It's actually now the "D.A. Davisdon Big Sky Classic brought to you by Montana's News Station"

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 18th, 2008, 06:23 PM
A poster a few pages back brought up the fact that there are tons of "UM/MSU" rivalries all over the country. But there is one difference, Cat/Griz is the biggest show in the entire state. No other state has the ability to claim that they are the biggest most "professional" show for sports in the entire area! Well maybe West Virginia! xlolx

Well that depends on how you define area. In any event, Cat/Griz is hardly alone in being the biggest show in the entire state; Clemson/USC certainly qualifies and the Iron Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Bowl) absolutely does. UM/MSU is certainly the biggest in-state rivarly at our level, but that only involves a small number of states. As I said earlier I voted for Harvard/Yale-hey, they played the first college football game. I just don't see how you can get around that.

FormerPokeCenter
November 18th, 2008, 06:27 PM
In terms of social significance, the Bayou Classic is hands down the Best Rivalry game in the country. The pomp, the pagentry and the event itself can't be topped.

From a marketing perspective, the game is a lasting testament to the genius of Collie Nicholson.

It's equal parts Battle of the Bands, Fashion Show, Football game and social event.

However, In terms of the quality of football played, it's not even in the top ten and really shouldn't be mentioned with The Brawl of the Wild, or any of the rivalry games played between traditional FCS powers.

The Bayou Classic games are often shootouts, but they're generally just not "good games"...

At least the couple that I've covered haven't been.

The coolest thing, for me, was watching the half-time show from the floor of the Superdome.

THAT was an incredible experience.....

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Lehigh and Lafayette have the fact that they are like 15 or 16 miles from each other and they've been playing forever.. I'm sorry Montana and Montana St. fans, but Lehigh-Lafayette may not have the attendance that you would get at Wash-Griz and it doesn't dominate the local media, but the importance of beating Lehigh for a Lafayette player and beating Lafayette for a Lehigh player rivals that of a conference championship

Cobblestone
November 18th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I voted for Grambling vs Southern, not as good without Eddie Robinson but always a classic.

GOKATS
November 18th, 2008, 06:45 PM
That's the title of the book that goes through every game through 2002. The Divide War

I think every Cat or Griz fan should have one. It's a pretty awesome book.

I have a copy of the book, I was referring to who came up with 'the brawl'. Montana Power before they went in the toilet was a big sponsor of Cat/griz for years so I mentioned them, but it might've been one of the media. Like I said I've never bought into the 'brawl of the wild'.

GOKATS
November 18th, 2008, 06:46 PM
It's actually now the "D.A. Davisdon Big Sky Classic brought to you by Montana's News Station"

Cat/griz works for me.

Hellgate60
November 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Well that depends on how you define area. In any event, Cat/Griz is hardly alone in being the biggest show in the entire state; Clemson/USC certainly qualifies and the Iron Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Bowl) absolutely does. UM/MSU is certainly the biggest in-state rivarly at our level, but that only involves a small number of states. As I said earlier I voted for Harvard/Yale-hey, they played the first college football game. I just don't see how you can get around that.

Without tradition what does The Game offer? The Brawl of the Wild has some tradition but also has intensity, playoff implications and is the biggest show in the state. That is why I think the Brawl of the Wild is better than The Game

Silenoz
November 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Lehigh and Lafayette have the fact that they are like 15 or 16 miles from each other and they've been playing forever.. I'm sorry Montana and Montana St. fans, but Lehigh-Lafayette may not have the attendance that you would get at Wash-Griz and it doesn't dominate the local media, but the importance of beating Lehigh for a Lafayette player and beating Lafayette for a Lehigh player rivals that of a conference championship

And that isn't the case here? MSU lives to beat us

SU Jag
November 18th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I have to have attended the games in person to have an opinion on them?

And I don't suppose you've been to GSU-Furman, Lehigh-Lafayette, Harvard-Yale, or UM-MSU?

Obviously no one here (probably) has been to every stadium in the country, fully experienced every team, and attained a complete, bias-free view of every college gameday in the country in which to non-subjectively answer a poll like this.

Yes. How could form an opinion on anything when your knowledge is close to 0?

Silenoz
November 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Yes. How could form an opinion on anything when your knowledge is close to 0?

0? You assume much xeyebrowx

asucrutch23
November 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM
UM/MSU is certainly the biggest in-state rivarly at our level

I don't think you can say certainly with Lehigh/Lafayette in the mix.

SU Jag
November 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Here we go again. Same ***** a different day. Everytime we bring up a big HBCU game some moron brings up the bands. Are we supposed to say the we're sorry for our bands being so good. HBCU bands so something that most PWC bands dont do and thats ADD to the game atmosphere. Southern has one of the top fan bases in FCS football period and its been that way for decades. We have a battle of the bands Friday night before the Bayou Classic, so i guess that answers ur question!xcoffeex

SU Jag
November 18th, 2008, 07:53 PM
0? You assume much xeyebrowx

Its obvious you no nothing about HBCU football, hell you probably still think the Bayou Classic is the largest HBCU football game.xcoffeex I dont know much about Montana football so when topics come up about the Griz....I S.T.F.U, maybe u should try that about subjects that ur not too informed about.xcoffeex

Silenoz
November 18th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I'm not saying they aren't rivalries. I am saying that I think its ridiculous to call them "the" FCS rivalry (with the possible exception of Southern-Grambling, like I covered in the other thread). And it will be hard to convince me that a lot of those games aren't just dressed up pageantry between teams that have as little love for one another as many other teams from the SOCON/CAA/Southland/etc have for each other.~

Big Dawg
November 18th, 2008, 08:10 PM
http://www.dougbanksshow.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=815&g2_serialNumber=1

Big Dawg
November 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM
How can you say no to this fellas???

http://concreteloop.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/actress-lauren-london-and-southern-university-dance-team_0511.jpg

ASU33
November 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM
http://www.dougbanksshow.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=815&g2_serialNumber=1

Nice pic Big Dawg! I'll be in Orlando this weekendxbowx

ASU33
November 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM

http://concreteloop.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/actress-lauren-london-and-southern-university-dance-team_0511.jpg

Its simple, you CANT!xthumbsupx

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Its obvious you no nothing about HBCU football, hell you probably still think the Bayou Classic is the largest HBCU football game.xcoffeex I dont know much about Montana football so when topics come up about the Griz....I S.T.F.U, maybe u should try that about subjects that ur not too informed about.xcoffeex

I understand the intensity behind it, I am a huge fan of the band you got down there. But I still stfu about it :p :p

mrklean
November 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM

DAYUM!, I LOVE HBCU"Sxthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
November 18th, 2008, 11:15 PM
The Brawl. What other rivalry on the list makes an entire state stop?

Grizo406
November 18th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Some great choices, but I voted for THE Brawl of the Wild.

I've seen a lot of amazing things in 59 years, and this "Event" most certainly ranks in my Top 5!

Its a freakin' hoot!!

uofmman1122
November 18th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Some great choices, but I voted for THE Brawl of the Wild.

I've seen a lot of amazing things in 59 years, and this "Event" most certainly ranks in my Top 5!

Its a freakin' hoot!!I don't think I've ever yelled as many horrible obscenities towards one mass group of people as I did towards the Bobcat fans in the south endzone in 2006. xlolx

The feelings were reciprocated, too. xlolxxthumbsupx

Of all the games I had to miss this year by being in Japan, this one sucks the most to miss. :(

I mean, I won't get the chance to yell the F-word to 1,000 Bobcat fans while simultaneously flipping them all off until 2010!!!! xsmhx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Grizalltheway
November 19th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I don't think I've ever yelled as many horrible obscenities towards one mass group of people as I did towards the Bobcat fans in the south endzone in 2006. xlolx

The feelings were reciprocated, too. xlolxxthumbsupx

Of all the games I had to miss this year by being in Japan, this one sucks the most to miss. :(

I mean, I won't get the chance to yell the F-word to 1,000 Bobcat fans while simultaneously flipping them all off until 2010!!!! xsmhx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Just get on the subway and imagine everyone's wearing blue and yellow. xlolx

uofmman1122
November 19th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Just get on the subway and imagine everyone's wearing blue and yellow. xlolxHey, man, I don't want to get deported. xlolx