PDA

View Full Version : LFN: Sunday's Word: 4,659

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2008, 08:54 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/11/sundays-word-4659.html

This week's "Word" is simply the attendance of the Bucknell/Lehigh game this weekend. Second-worst attendance in the last five years (and probably ten years), and worst attendance for a Patriot League game that I could find.

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2008, 09:06 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/11/sundays-word-4659.html

This week's "Word" is simply the attendance of the Bucknell/Lehigh game this weekend. Second-worst attendance in the last five years (and probably ten years), and worst attendance for a Patriot League game that I could find.

No way the Drake game had almost 5k there. I watched the game, about 17 people were in the stands.

Rob Iola
November 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Can't say "Northeastern Pennsylvania" without "Northeastern"...

Apparently complete with Northeastern's usual attendance...

crusader11
November 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Also a relatively poor showing in Easton. I thought there would have been more people for such a big game.

UNI Pike
November 17th, 2008, 11:06 AM
UNI at IN ST 2,381 - though I think they counted the teams + staff in that number

carney2
November 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Also a relatively poor showing in Easton. I thought there would have been more people for such a big game.

Both games suffered from the same problem: bad weather. It rained, sometimes heavily, almost right up to the opening kickoff. The forecast called for more of the same all afternoon which, luckily, did not happen. I'm betting this cost each game a couple thousand since, I believe, there was TV coverage for each.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Both games suffered from the same problem: bad weather. It rained, sometimes heavily, almost right up to the opening kickoff. The forecast called for more of the same all afternoon which, luckily, did not happen. I'm betting this cost each game a couple thousand since, I believe, there was TV coverage for each.

No doubt; but it still feels like an excuse. Less so for Lafayette, who had more than 50% capacity in the seats.

A big part of the problem is that Holy Cross and Bucknell travel extremely poorly for football events. But that's not the only issue.

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM

The tornado watch and threat of storms scared everyone off... plus we are on TV everywhere in PA, and some of NJ.

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Maybe Bucknell is carrying the plague? There were more Lafayette fans in Lewisburg than Bison fans two weeks ago... no joke, there were maybe 300 people at the game.

Go...gate
November 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Weather a factor for sure all over; Yale distributed and sold 30,000 tix for Princeton at the Bowl and drew about 5,700. There were tornado warnings in most of NJ and eastern PA.

carney2
November 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM
A big part of the problem is that Holy Cross and Bucknell travel extremely poorly for football events. But that's not the only issue.

Bucknell "travels poorly" in Lewisburg, let alone anyplace else. All things considered, I thought that here was a nice turnout on the Holy Cross side of the field Saturday. They had to travel 6 hours or so with the threat of sitting thru heavy rain and thunderstorms. At the very least, they had more people than we usually see over there for any Ivy game.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Bucknell "travels poorly" in Lewisburg, let alone anyplace else. All things considered, I thought that here was a nice turnout on the Holy Cross side of the field Saturday. They had to travel 6 hours or so with the threat of sitting thru heavy rain and thunderstorms. At the very least, they had more people than we usually see over there for any Ivy game.

A very fair point - HC fans certainly outdrew Princeton the last time I saw the Tigers at Fisher!

ngineer
November 17th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Maybe Bucknell is carrying the plague? There were more Lafayette fans in Lewisburg than Bison fans two weeks ago... no joke, there were maybe 300 people at the game.

Big problems there. Last year Lehigh had more people in the visitors stands as well.
The weather reports were very bad, and indeed, the rain was very heavy not long before kickoff, so I am sure that kept a lot away. Lafayette probably would have had over 10,000 and Lehigh close to 9,000 with decent weather. They don't call them 'fair weather fans' for nothing.;)