PDA

View Full Version : Villanova-Delaware "Battle of the Blue"

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2008, 04:15 AM
In my opinion, this is the strangest rivalry in FCS/I-AA. The teams are on the exact opposite of the spectrum as far as fan support goes. The degree of importance of this win to each team is very important, and it doesn't seem to matter how good or bad either team is.. the game is nearly always a barn burner. I'm not very confident about this game, but i think Coach Talley will have our guys ready. Also, I think they should get rid of that trophy they made last year.. it looks stupid.

It's unfortunate that both teams aren't in the playoffs this year but this game will still be full of emotion and is destined to come down to the final minutes. I don't even feel comfortable trying to predict a score, I'd imagine it won't be the most exciting game ever though

HensRock
November 17th, 2008, 07:36 AM
You guys have nothing to worry about.
Did you watch the Richmond-UD game? Pathetic.
Nova will roll the Hens this year.
I don't think it is one of the biggest rivalries, but it is one of the most evenly competitive (this year being an exception).

And Before you go there... I WISH I were sandbagging!

Dukie95
November 17th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I don't know...according to the Towson results, it should be a good one!

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I have a weird feeling about this, I think Villanova will win, but for some reason i see some kind of heroic performance from a couple UD players that could keep this game very close

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I don't think it is one of the biggest rivalries, but it is one of the most evenly competitive (this year being an exception).
Honestly, I've never understood this "rivalry". I'd MUCH rather go to a UD/JMU, UD/W&M, UD/UR, UD/UMass.... game. In the CAA, I'd put Nova at least halfway down the list. xpeacex

LacesOut
November 17th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I can't see this game even being remotely close. Unless 'Nova has like 4 or 5 turnovers.

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM
You guys have nothing to worry about.
Did you watch the Richmond-UD game? Pathetic.
Nova will roll the Hens this year.

And Before you go there... I WISH I were sandbagging!

Agreed. Nova by 10+.

ChickenMan
November 17th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Relative to the Nova/UD game.. all I can say is that.. you can't go to a gunfight armed only with a penknife.

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Villanova is pretty good at playing down to its competition.. we're forgetting this

BlueHen86
November 17th, 2008, 09:45 AM
In my opinion, this is the strangest rivalry in FCS/I-AA. The teams are on the exact opposite of the spectrum as far as fan support goes. The degree of importance of this win to each team is very important, and it doesn't seem to matter how good or bad either team is.. the game is nearly always a barn burner. I'm not very confident about this game, but i think Coach Talley will have our guys ready. Also, I think they should get rid of that trophy they made last year.. it looks stupid.

It's unfortunate that both teams aren't in the playoffs this year but this game will still be full of emotion and is destined to come down to the final minutes. I don't even feel comfortable trying to predict a score, I'd imagine it won't be the most exciting game ever though
This game would have been a lot more interesting if Villanova had lost to Towson. In that case, I think Villanova would have to win against UD to make the playoffs. I suspect a lot of UD players would love to ruin Villanova's season. The game could have been a real war, especially if UD's defense was in top form.

Since Villanova beat Towson, I think they are a lock for the playoffs, and there is less reason for UD to get up for this game.

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Your season is looking a lot like Villanova in 2005.. almost shockingly similar
Another thing for UD fans, what is your opinion of Keeler.. I feel that he's to blame for this season for not hitting the recruiting trail enough to get "his own kids"

GannonFan
November 17th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Honestly, I've never understood this "rivalry". I'd MUCH rather go to a UD/JMU, UD/W&M, UD/UR, UD/UMass.... game. In the CAA, I'd put Nova at least halfway down the list. xpeacex

One of the rare times when we differ in opinion. None of those games you mention even come close to the emotion that a UD/nova game has. No game on either team's schedule generates anywhere near the excitement value as this game does, and no other rivalry has been as tightly played as this one (all the others tilt heavily in UD's favor). Without Temple on the schedule now for 20 years (the prior "big" rivalry game), this one has taken its place (and it was pretty big even when we were playing Temple annually).

GannonFan
November 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Your season is looking a lot like Villanova in 2005.. almost shockingly similar
Another thing for UD fans, what is your opinion of Keeler.. I feel that he's to blame for this season for not hitting the recruiting trail enough to get "his own kids"

He just needed one kid, a QB, and UD would've been playoff bound this year. No sense in over-hyping the transfer issue beyond its reasonable point. xthumbsupx

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 10:55 AM
None of those games you mention even come close to the emotion that a UD/nova game has.
Disagree. The UMass game in 2003? The JMU game in 2007?

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2008, 11:05 AM

those were great games, but it seems like every 'Nova-UD game turns out to be a barnburner and that's what i think he was saying

wideright82
November 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM

I believe he meant as a series.

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM
As a series, UD/W&M has probably had as many close/crazy games. Like I said, it's just MHO, but I don't get excited for the UD/VU game unless it has larger implications, just like the ones I mentioned. I always saw Temple as a bigger rival in the day, Lehigh as a bigger rival in the day, and now either JMU or UMass as more "hated". I honestly mean this win no offense intended, but I just don't see how Hen fans can get excited with so few VU fans that actually care. xpeacex

ChickenMan
November 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Nova is still.. to me by far.. the Hen's biggest rival. Not even close.

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM
As a series, UD/W&M has probably had as many close/crazy games. Like I said, it's just MHO, but I don't get excited for the UD/VU game unless it has larger implications, just like the ones I mentioned. I always saw Temple as a bigger rival in the day, Lehigh as a bigger rival in the day, and now either JMU or UMass as more "hated". I honestly mean this win no offense intended, but I just don't see how Hen fans can get excited with so few VU fans that actually care. xpeacex

I actually think that what you just mentioned just perpetuates the rivalry.. the real Villanova football fans truly care about the outcome of this game and some kids on the team would trade just about any win on the calendar to beat UD.. Part of the reason I despise UD so much is because i'm envious of the gameday environment they have.. If Villanova could have half of what UD has, i'd be a happy man

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM

That's right. You don't hear "stinkin' JMU" or "stinkin' Bill & Mary."

Just...STINKIN' NOVA!!!xrotatehx xlolx :D

BlueHen86
November 17th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I agree.

93henfan
November 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM
What, no West Chester? xsmiley_wix

wideright82
November 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I remember my first game ever at Delaware, and I have never hated a team more than I did after that game.

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM
For those that like the UD/VU "rivalry"... when did it start? I'm wondering if perhaps it started while I was unable to attend many (really any) Hen games and maybe that's why I seem to be the only one who isn't in to it. xeyebrowx

93henfan
November 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
For those that like the UD/VU "rivalry"... when did it start?

Attempted vehicular homicide by clergy?

Oh no, I went there.xeekx xeekx xeekx

SunCoastBlueHen
November 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM
For those that like the UD/VU "rivalry"... when did it start? I'm wondering if perhaps it started while I was unable to attend many (really any) Hen games and maybe that's why I seem to be the only one who isn't in to it. xeyebrowx

Much like the old Temple rivalry, I think it was largely built in the 70's when the Delaware was DII and 'Nova DI. I understand that there were a lot of heated, competitive games during that time frame between between the "small time" Hens and the DI Wildcats.

I'll let some of the "more mature" Hen's fans fill in the details as I was only a young lad. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Much like the Temple rivalry, I think it was largely built in the 70's when the Delaware was DII and 'Nova DI.
That would really puzzle me as I think of Temple and Lehigh from the late 70's early 80's. It seemed like the Hens would beat Temple and lose to Lehigh every year (actually happened four times in a six year period: 80, 81, 84, 85....). I was a Hen fan then, so it wouldn't seem like my theory would be right if that were the case. What I'm thinking is that maybe it really developed in the early 90's when Temple and Lehigh were both off the schedule and somebody had to fill in. I was MIA from Hen games in the early to mid 90's as I was working every weekend (and really not much internet).

SunCoastBlueHen
November 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM
That would really puzzle me as I think of Temple and Lehigh from the late 70's early 80's. It seemed like the Hens would beat Temple and lose to Lehigh every year (actually happened four times in a six year period: 80, 81, 84, 85....). I was a Hen fan then, so it wouldn't seem like my theory would be right if that were the case. What I'm thinking is that maybe it really developed in the early 90's when Temple and Lehigh were both off the schedule and somebody had to fill in. I was MIA from Hen games in the early to mid 90's as I was working every weekend (and really not much internet).

As you know, my dad has been a very loyal Hen fan for a long, long time now. I'm going by what I remember him and some of the other "old timers" talking about when discussing the good old days of Delaware football. The games most commonly reminisced about were the 70's / early 80's Temple and Lehigh games (as you mentioned) and also the Villanova games from that time period. The fact that after 'Nova dropped and then re-established their football program in the 80' then played the Hens every year helped build upon the rivalry, but I think the foundation was already there from 'Nova's DI days.

ChickenMan
November 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM

My first UD/Nova game was way back in 1962 at UD. Ted Kempski was UD's QB and Nova great Billy Joe was the FB at Nova. Nova won that one 22-10. There were many great games in the series until Nova dropped football in the early '80's.. Nova domainated in the '60's.. but UD took control in the '70s

'62 - Nova 22-10

'64 - Nova 34-0

'65 - UD 24-21

'66 - Nova 16-14

'67 - Nova - 21-13

'68 - Nova - 16-0

'69 - Nova 36-33

'70 - Nova 34-31

'71 - UD 23-15

'72 - UD 14-7

'73 - Nova 24-7

'74 - UD 49-7

'75 - UD 14-13

'76 - 24-24 tie

'77 - Nova 33-16

'78 - UD 23-22

'79 - UD 21-20

'80 - UD 17-7

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
All I know is, that the Delaware game is the one that i circle on my calendar every year.. It doesn't hurt either that both teams tend to be better than average.

LacesOut
November 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I think it's a good rivalry, for the fans and for the players. I mean it's the only UD game I'll be attending this season!

GannonFan
November 17th, 2008, 03:28 PM

To be honest, I never really felt the Lehigh games were that big of a rivalry. They were good games and Lehigh got their share of wins, but I never felt that rose to the level of Temple or to a lesser extent nova, simply because of the fact that Temple and nova were DI-A teams and we were DI-AA or DII (depending on the year). Obviously the Temple games dwarfed all others, but nova wasn't that far behind. And when nova restarted football, the presence as a conference foe, the Tubby/Talley interplay, and the real competitive games (that '92 game at nova was epic for instance), and the tendency for a side to dominate short stretches of the rivalry (UD in the early 90's, nova in the late 90's, UD in the early '00's and nova recently) make it even more heated. Nobody else (JMU, UMass, W&M, etc) even come close to that kind of history and that kind of competitiveness.

Oh yeah, I hate nova. xthumbsupx

charliej
November 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I'll worry about this game regardless of what the records are.If there's one thing history has shown,it's that the "better" team doesn't always win. xrotatehx

No offense to Hens,but I dont want Nova to be the bright spot in UD's '08 season.xsmiley_wix

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Is Ritacco still the QB this week?

jlcharles
November 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Remember this one hens fans?

http://villanova.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/112099aaa.html

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I was at that game, what a finish. Was that Tubby's last game?

93henfan
November 17th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I was at that game, what a finish. Was that Tubby's last game?

No, Tubby retired at the conclusion of the 2001 season.

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2008, 12:06 PM
As much as it would give me a heart attack, i wanna keep this game close

aust42
November 18th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I have to agree with 89Hen. I think a lot of fans don't like coach Talley more so than not liking Villanova. As a fan I don't get any more excited about playing Nova then any other CAA game. As an ex-player (at least in my time) Nova was never hyped up to be our "rivalry" by the coaching staff. We never hated or disliked Nova anymore than any other team but we did hate playing at Nova b/c of their astro turf field (back in the day of a cement field with an inch of rubber padding and pool table matting for grass). Nova has such a small fan base so I'm not sure how it can be considered a rivalry. How many fans will they bring to Delaware for this "rivalry"?

wideright82
November 18th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I have to agree with 89Hen. I think a lot of fans don't like coach Talley more so than not liking Villanova. As a fan I don't get any more excited about playing Nova then any other CAA game. As an ex-player (at least in my time) Nova was never hyped up to be our "rivalry" by the coaching staff. We never hated or disliked Nova anymore than any other team but we did hate playing at Nova b/c of their astro turf field (back in the day of a cement field with an inch of rubber padding and pool table matting for grass). Nova has such a small fan base so I'm not sure how it can be considered a rivalry. How many fans will they bring to Delaware for this "rivalry"?

It is funny you say that, becasue while I played, The Delaware game was ALWAYS held to "rivalry" status, and then some (funny how differently the game was treated). The nova fans (laugh away hens, laugh away) see this as a rivalry, the rest of the nova population probably doesn't know anything about it. So I don't think you will see the nova fans coming in full force to the game, but there will be a good amount of football alum at the game, that is for sure.

madisonfan87
November 18th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Good luck hens!xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I don't understand why Delaware fans don't like Talley, as far as i know the only rude act was by Keeler who told the media he wouldn't eat the cookies Coach T. sent him when he was hired

Ivytalk
November 18th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I don't understand why Delaware fans don't like Talley, as far as i know the only rude act was by Keeler who told the media he wouldn't eat the cookies Coach T. sent him when he was hired

That's because K.C.'s "official taster" "keeled" over and died after biting into one.

Cyanide will do that to you.xcoolx

GannonFan
November 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM

Talley yapped quite a lot when nova came into the Yankee/A10/CAA back in the late 80's. Even Tubby didn't like him at first and Tubby generally liked everyone. I think Talley has his eyes set on breezing through the Yankee and eventually bringing nova back to DI (FBS) football. Since that idea fizzled in the late 90's, Talley's mellowed quite a lot. Keeler turning down cookies was all for show - heck, nova even helped out UD last year by letting UD use their video equipment at nova when the bulk of the team was stranded in Iowa after the quarterfinal win last year. Like most rivlaries, some of the people who are long involved in them are actually pretty cordial to one another.

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I don't mind being in the CAA, but Villanova should have taken the opportunity to go into the Big East.. we'd be bleeding less money on football than we are now. As for Talley, he isn't afraid to speak his mind.. he's a sportswriter's dream and is pretty charismatic (he doesn't look like a football coach though)

GannonFan
November 18th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I don't mind being in the CAA, but Villanova should have taken the opportunity to go into the Big East.. we'd be bleeding less money on football than we are now. As for Talley, he isn't afraid to speak his mind.. he's a sportswriter's dream and is pretty charismatic (he doesn't look like a football coach though)

Of course, the whole lack of a stadium issue was pretty significant at the time and would still be even now. Even fanbase would be an issue - people only come out for nova basketball when they're good and nationally ranked - when they aren't tickets are aplenty.

Like I said, I've got no bones with Talley, he's a fine guy and a fine coach.

But I still hate nova. :p

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Supposedly they had a preliminary agreement with Penn for Franklin Field and you have to imagine that when the Linc opened up they would bid for it because frankly Villanova is a more attractive item to sell than temple.. I can't name a temple player in the NFL other than Dan Klecko

GannonFan
November 18th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Supposedly they had a preliminary agreement with Penn for Franklin Field and you have to imagine that when the Linc opened up they would bid for it because frankly Villanova is a more attractive item to sell than temple.. I can't name a temple player in the NFL other than Dan Klecko

Franklin Field would be a disaster in this day and age for big time FBS football. Place is kinda dumpy anymore (sorry Penn fans) and it's not easy in the least to get to considering the number of fans you would need for FBS football to be profitable. Not to mention that it's quite a haul into the city from Radnor.

And as for the Linc, the place wasn't open for rent. The Eagles had to let Temple in (at fairly exorbidant rent mind you) because they had pressure from the city to let a city school play there, considering all the money the city ponied up on their end to build the place. nova isn't in the city so they wouldn't have city government on their side to make the Eagles accept another tennant. And the Eagles are itching to get Temple out of the place (tough on the field) so it's very unlikely that nova ever would've talked the Eagles into renting the place to them and if they did there's no way it would ever be profitable.

No great option in Philly, no stadium elsewhere, and Radnor would never be an option because they would never allow a 50k stadium anywhere near that township. There was a very good reason why nova let the oppurtunity go by back in the 90's - no where to play. xthumbsupx

LacesOut
November 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM
My apologies for bumping this, but does any UD fan know if this game is a sellout? I'm assuming it's not, but you never know. I need two tickets and I didn't plan on getting them until Friday or even game day. I was just wondering if it would be an issue trying to get them so late. They could be up high, in the north end zone, I really don't care, as I'll most likely be sitting in the south end zone anyway with my girlfriend.

Thanks.

Hoyadestroya85
November 19th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Villanova Game Notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/Game11Notes.pdf

89Hen
November 19th, 2008, 12:13 PM
My apologies for bumping this, but does any UD fan know if this game is a sellout? I'm assuming it's not, but you never know. I need two tickets and I didn't plan on getting them until Friday or even game day. I was just wondering if it would be an issue trying to get them so late. They could be up high, in the north end zone, I really don't care, as I'll most likely be sitting in the south end zone anyway with my girlfriend.

Thanks.
Just go to the Will Call on the West Side and there will be people selling tix for $5. I made the mistake of ordering two extra tix earlier this year ($42) and while waiting in line to pick them up I had a dozen people offer me tix for cheap. xoopsx

Spider
November 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM
this shouldn't be close, Nova in a blow out.....

wideright82
November 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
this shouldn't be close, Nova in a blow out.....

Key word.

89Hen
November 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Key word.
Agreed. Just like somebody shouldn't come back from 28 down to win. xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
November 19th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks.

Just go to the Will Call on the West Side and there will be people selling tix for $5. I made the mistake of ordering two extra tix earlier this year ($42) and while waiting in line to pick them up I had a dozen people offer me tix for cheap. xoopsx

Game won't be a sellout anyway. nova never brings many fans, UD obviously stinks this year so casual fans aren't going to show up, and the weather forecast is calling for a high of 32 degrees on Saturday. The game is on TV so any frost-adverse people aren't going to be going either. Out of our 16 season tickets, I could see maybe just 5 people going. If you're still desperate, we should have extras.

wideright82
November 19th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Agreed. Just like somebody shouldn't come back from 28 down to win. xsmiley_wix
my point exactly. I don't like shoulds. I should be at the game though, so hopefully the shoulds hold up this year.

Hoyadestroya85
November 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
89Hen, what's with the golden rams helmet?

89Hen
November 19th, 2008, 03:10 PM
89Hen, what's with the golden rams helmet?
Annual tradition to honor teams still in the playoffs. If you guys make it to Chatty, you may see a big V on my avatar. xsmiley_wix

93henfan
November 19th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I'd go with a V before I'd go purple.

LacesOut
November 19th, 2008, 04:13 PM
the weather forecast is calling for a high of 32 degrees on Saturday. The game is on TV so any frost-adverse people aren't going to be going either.

Yikes! That ain't Laces type of weather, nooooo way. Count me in as a person who is 'frost-adverse'. I figured it would be chilly, but that is damn cold! And I see no reason to be outside for 3+ hours watching a game in that type of weather, which is also on TV, and it's not a playoff game.

Looks like I'll just head to Grottos on Main St and watch all the afternoon games from there. At least I saved some money by not buying tix already. And some more by not paying a whopping $15 to park! LOL

93henfan
November 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Updated forecast for kickoff: Mostly sunny, 34 (23 wind chill), winds 17 mph WNW

The fans have not been detered. Over 21,000 tickets sold so far according to UD's ticket office. I would assume we'll be seeing more than the usual handful of Catholics from the Main Line.

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Ok about time to dig this baby up..
my Yugo memorial keys to the game
Villanova: Execute
Delaware: Get Lucky

Intrepid
November 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Is this game going to be broadcast on CN8?

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
edit

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Is this game going to be broadcast on CN8?
yes

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Villanova Returns opening kick to the 37 yard line

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Villanova goes for it on fourth down and fails.. Delaware ball

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
3 and out Delaware punt for a touchback
Villanova to take over from the 20

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Villanova goes 3 and out punts it inside of the 10 yard line

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
After a Villanova 3 and out and Punt VILLANOVA INTERCEPTION

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Villanova goes for it on 4th and misses.. terrible offensive execution by the Cats so far.. luckily UD is anemic on offense

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
UD goes three and out AGAIN and punts

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
UD defense is doing a good job so far.

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
i'd one up that, they're doing great

SunCoastBlueHen
November 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
i'd one up that, they're doing great

The time on the field will catch up with the Hen's D in the second half, which has been the story all year long. The score at the end will look like a comfortable Villanova win because the offense is so unbelievably inept. The defense has been solid all year despite what some of the scores would indicate.

Intrepid
November 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
TOUCHDOWN NOVA!!!

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
yeah baby.. that'll silence those chicken farmers

Intrepid
November 22nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Touchdown Nova!!!

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
The time on the field will catch up with the Hen's D in the second half, which has been the story all year long. The score at the end will look like a comfortable Villanova win because the offense is so unbelievably inept. The defense has been solid all year despite what some of the scores would indicate.

it's weird to say that Villanova and UD are defensive teams this year..

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
The field looks ok,yet there seems to be alot of footing problems.

Intrepid
November 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Oh boy, another Nova TD

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Just when you thought he was stopped, Aaron (Wrecking) Ball goes 51 yards to the house

SunCoastBlueHen
November 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
After a long season of being on the field all of the time, the defense looks to have tired a bit early this afternoon. xnonono2x

How can an offense at a school with UD's history be THAT bad... How?!?! xmadx

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
It's actually sort of sad
I like to see a good game between evenly matched foes

SunCoastBlueHen
November 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I like to see a good game between evenly matched foes

Well you'll get neither an like it!!!

xmadx :p

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Schoenhoft in at QB for the Hens

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
I really like the heart of this UD defense

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Villanova Up 21-0 with 3:16 left in the third

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Villanova is not playing well but still holding on..
end of third- 21-0 Nova

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
I think UD got as many yards in this drive as they've gotten in their past 3 games combined. ;)

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
damn

93henfan
November 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
KC Keeler owes us big for this abomination of a season.

Still, the D gave it everything they had and should be commended. The O should just be completely blown up, starting with the coordinator. I hope to hell that Schoenhoft's little flash of brilliance in the 4th Q does not garner him any mention of being anywhere near the field next season.

I also cannot believe how long Talley kept his starters in (still playing with 3 mins left). Not that I care one bit about Delaware in that regard, I was simply surprised he would not rest his folks a little with a playoff game awaiting next week.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Just got back from the game, wow was that cold. What a boring game, Nova did what they needed to do and gutted out a win. The UD defense was very good, as I expected. If UD had anything on offense they would have been decent this year. Overall though, I have to say this was the worst UD team I have seen in my 24 years of watching Yankee/A-10/CAA football. I didn't believe many UD posters in here, but they were really a bad team. This UD team set a school record for most losses in a season with 8.

You heard it here first, I think Penn State's backup QB Pat Devlin will be heading to Newark next year. If not, UD will have another long season with those two QBs. They stink.

GannonFan
November 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Just got back from the game, wow was that cold. What a boring game, Nova did what they needed to do and gutted out a win. The UD defense was very good, as I expected. If UD had anything on offense they would have been decent this year. Overall though, I have to say this was the worst UD team I have seen in my 24 years of watching Yankee/A-10/CAA football. I didn't believe many UD posters in here, but they were really a bad team. This UD team set a school record for most losses in a season with 8.

You heard it here first, I think Penn State's backup QB Pat Devlin will be heading to Newark next year. If not, UD will have another long season with those two QBs. They stink.

Yeah, the defense could be the best D in the CAA if they ever got a chance to take a break every once in awhile. With the offense going 3 and outs (and that's when they get 3 plays without turning it over) all day all season, the defense has gotten tired. And that D you saw today was minus something like 5-6 starters. Oh well.

As for next year, heck, if Devlin actually wanted to come to Newark we'd have a helluva good team and I'd write us into the playoffs in pen. But I'm nowhere convinced Devlin is leaving Happy Valley. I would settle for Linehan leaving Toledo though! xthumbsupx

jlcharles
November 22nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Damn was it cold. I left after we scored our last TD. I couldn't feel my toes.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Damn was it cold. I left after we scored our last TD. I couldn't feel my toes.

Sidelines were better with the jet powered heaters, but is was still freaking cold! I hope next weekend is warmer.

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Sidelines were better with the jet powered heaters, but is was still freaking cold! I hope next weekend is warmer.

i'm getting handwarmers and footwarmers

jlcharles
November 22nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
i'm getting handwarmers and footwarmers

How could you not go to pig farming country today?

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM

lots of homework :(

jlcharles
November 22nd, 2008, 10:44 PM
No one does homework on a Saturday afternoon. Especially when there's roast blue hen on the menu.xrotatehx

BDKJMU
November 22nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
KC Keeler owes us big for this abomination of a season.

Still, the D gave it everything they had and should be commended. The O should just be completely blown up, starting with the coordinator. I hope to hell that Schoenhoft's little flash of brilliance in the 4th Q does not garner him any mention of being anywhere near the field next season.

I also cannot believe how long Talley kept his starters in (still playing with 3 mins left). Not that I care one bit about Delaware in that regard, I was simply surprised he would not rest his folks a little with a playoff game awaiting next week.

Have you ever seen a team pull their starters when only up by 2 TDs?

Henny
November 22nd, 2008, 11:22 PM

The joke is on you moron, the stadium is right next to the Ag. school and other than that small area, there isn't a farm in miles.

Since this is a game thread. Most UD fans that attend games at this point are in it out of morbid curiosity. This is Delaware's worst team in history, overwelmingly due to QB play and a horrible O-line as you witnessed today.

93henfan
November 23rd, 2008, 08:54 AM
Have you ever seen a team pull their starters when only up by 2 TDs?

Of course I have. Circumstances always dictate. When the team you're up by two touchdowns against has only scored once in 50 minutes of play and has shown zero offense all year and your quarterback has already been banged up, you get him off the field with only three minutes left and ready for the game that matters next week.

93henfan
November 23rd, 2008, 08:56 AM
A bit of trivia from this game, courtesy the News Journal:

Ohio State, Michigan, Tennessee and Delaware came into this year as the only Division I schools to never lose eight football games in a season. Michigan lost nine this year. Tennessee beat Vanderbilt Saturday to avoid its eighth defeat, but still has to face Kentucky this week. Delaware finished 4-8.