PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about

joecooll6
November 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I know it is meaningless, but I cant help but think about how the field would look this year if 20 teams made it instead of 16 like it will look in 2 years. Liberty and Albany would be in with autobids, and there would be 2extra at large births. Just something to think about for those of us who are bored. What if there were 24 teams in?

Discuss, if you'd like.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I know it is meaningless, but I cant help but think about how the field would look this year if 20 teams made it instead of 16 like it will look in 2 years. Liberty and Albany would be in with autobids, and there would be 2extra at large births. Just something to think about for those of us who are bored. What if there were 24 teams in?

Discuss, if you'd like.

I'm just wondering how much they would need to expand the bracket to get Dayton in. xlolx

Saint3333
November 16th, 2008, 02:46 PM
With SIU defeating SDSU, GSU beating Furman, UMass losing the last two, and UNA losing down the stretch I think 16 teams is just right this year.

16 is still the right number to determine a national champion.

joecooll6
November 16th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Not arguing that, but in 2010 it will expand to 20 if I'm not mistaken. I was just thinking to myself how a bracket with 20 would look this year, or even 24 at it seems to be headed.

danefan
November 16th, 2008, 05:11 PM
My best guess from last week (before this weeks games, but likely change would be Texas State as the SLC champ and UTM/EKU winner as OVC champ instead of TSU)
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52373&highlight=2010

First, the 10 Autobids
Big Sky-Weber State*
Big South - Liberty*
CAA-James Madison
MEAC-South Carolina State*
MVFC-Northern Iowa-&
NEC - Albany*
OVC-Tennessee State-^
Patriot-Colgate-%
Southern-Appalachian State
Southland-Northwestern State-$

*-officially clinched
&-UNI gets the autobid because they have 6 wins, while SIU and SDSU have only 5. UNI gets credit for having won their extra game so far, though the winner of the SIU-SDSU game this weekend will determine a great deal more for the conference title
^-TSU holds the tiebreakers over UTM and EKU, with those two teams still needing to face one another
%-Colgate holds the tiebreaker over HC because the Raiders beat the higher ranked Lafayette, while HC faces the Leopards this weekend
$-NWState gets the tiebreaker over Texas St and McNeese. NWSt is 1-0 in games amongst the 3, TSU is 1-1, McNeese is 0-1

Now the At-Larges (based on GPI)
1-Montana
2-Villanova
3-Richmond
4-Cal Poly
5-Wofford
6-William & Mary
7-New Hampshire
8-Elon
9-Southern Illinois
10-Furman

Not using the +1 theory because that would include 6 CAA teams (either Maine or UMass would be the +1).

Here's your Field of 20
Albany
Appalachian State
Cal Poly
Colgate
Elon
Furman
James Madison
Liberty
Montana
New Hampshire
Northern Iowa
Northwestern State
Richmond
South Carolina State
Southern Illinois
Tennessee State
Villanova
Weber State
William & Mary
Wofford

Opening Round would likely include the following 8 teams:

Lower ranked AQ's
Albany
Colgate
Liberty
Northwestern State
South Carolina State
Tennessee State

Last in At-larges
Furman
Southern Illinois

coover
November 16th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I'm just wondering how much they would need to expand the bracket to get Dayton in. xlolx

How about a 64 team tournament. Of course, Dayton would probably be on the bubble.

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 05:52 PM
How about a 64 team tournament. Of course, Dayton would probably be on the bubble.

I dunno.....strength of schedule would hurt them....didn't they just lose to Morehead State?

Rob Iola
November 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I personally would luv to see the field expanded enough to include Dayton!

Baby needs new shoes - I'll take JMU/App State/SC State/Morehead State/James Wood Sr. High and the over...

MountaineerGuy
November 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
My best guess from last week (before this weeks games, but likely change would be Texas State as the SLC champ and UTM/EKU winner as OVC champ instead of TSU)
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52373&highlight=2010

First, the 10 Autobids
Big Sky-Weber State*
Big South - Liberty*
CAA-James Madison
MEAC-South Carolina State*
MVFC-Northern Iowa-&
NEC - Albany*
OVC-Tennessee State-^
Patriot-Colgate-%
Southern-Appalachian State
Southland-Northwestern State-$

*-officially clinched
&-UNI gets the autobid because they have 6 wins, while SIU and SDSU have only 5. UNI gets credit for having won their extra game so far, though the winner of the SIU-SDSU game this weekend will determine a great deal more for the conference title
^-TSU holds the tiebreakers over UTM and EKU, with those two teams still needing to face one another
%-Colgate holds the tiebreaker over HC because the Raiders beat the higher ranked Lafayette, while HC faces the Leopards this weekend
$-NWState gets the tiebreaker over Texas St and McNeese. NWSt is 1-0 in games amongst the 3, TSU is 1-1, McNeese is 0-1

App clinched the SoCon autobid Saturday. Even if we lose to Western next week, we have the head-to-head tiebreaker over the other two 1-loss teams.

^this comment is 1 part informative, 1 part bragging xthumbsupx

joecooll6
November 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I think that prediction is a week old.

joecooll6
November 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I'm just now leaving from Des Moines back to Cedar Falls, about a 2 hour drive. Ill put some thought on this and have my bracket for you when I get back.

BigSouthFB
November 16th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I'm so glad the Big South finally gets an auto bid. Its about freakin time this conference starts stepping it up a notch.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Autobids
Big Sky- Weber State
Big South- Liberty
CAA- JMU
MEAC- South Carolina State
MVFC- SIU
NEC- Albany
OVC- UT-Martin
Patriot- Colgate*
SoCon- App State