PDA

View Full Version : "The Rivalry": Lehigh/Lafayette: For all the Marbles

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Take that, TU Owl! :D

The 144th meeting will in all likelihood be for pride. Hate. All that good stuff.

All the marbles baby!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Take that, TU Owl! :D

Finally!! I just didn't want to be that guy. xrotatehx

Go...gate
November 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM
As ever, it will be a helluva game. I'm thinking Lehigh might win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I guess Lehigh has a shot to beat Lafayette. They've certaintly had their chances but always come up short. The Hawks played terrible against Bucknell today. Don't be fooled by the 15 point win. The Bison dominated Lehigh statistically but made a few too many mistakes. Lehigh was the first team to fail to reach 300 yards, Lehigh had 204 yards today, against a Bison D that has been given up an average of 436 yards a game. The fewest any team gained on Bucknell prior to today was Marist who put up 321 yards. Right now i don't see Lehigh being able to consistently stop Adair and Co. through the air and Lehigh's "O" making enough plays to win.

Lehigh74
November 16th, 2008, 08:25 AM
As ever, it will be a helluva game. I'm thinking Lehigh might win.

Lehigh definitely has the talent to win the game. The problem (for Lehigh) is that the Lafayette coaching staff is far superior. While I would dearly love to see a Lehigh win, I am afraid it's going to end up being 5 in a row for the cats.

Pard94
November 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Lafayette is going to come out pissed!

Lafayette 35
Lehigh 10

Then we can all stroll over to the Lehigh Board and watch them rip each other, their team, their coaches, their fans, and their school to shreds. Hell...even Asa Packer isn't safe.

Coach Coen, you may want to put your house on the market. I think they'll give you one more year but when this happens all over again in 2009...it's game over. And given the housing market...better to be safe than sorry.

GO PARDS!!! BEAT LEHIGH (for the 5th straight time)!!!!!!

LUHawker
November 16th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Lafayette is going to come out pissed!

I'm not so sure they will be pissed so much as deflated. Being so close and losing in that fashion can have a deflating effect on a team's (and fans') psyche. We should know! We'll see how the Pards respond and if Frank really is the master of motivation that is often touted.

I suspect we'll see the Black jerseys again. xcoffeex

Lehigh74
November 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM
My hope is that the entire Lafayette team and coaching staff is as arrogant and overconfident as Pard94.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Is there any belief that Coen is coaching for his job next Saturday? One has to think that another losing season as well as another loss to Lafayette will certaintly damage his cause for a 4th season.

LehighFan11
November 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM
IMO, Coen isn't going anywhere win or lose Saturday. I do believe Lehigh has the talent, but I don't know about the ability to win this game. My hope is that Lafayette is over confident and is unprepared.

LeopardFan04
November 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I'm not so sure they will be pissed so much as deflated. Being so close and losing in that fashion can have a deflating effect on a team's (and fans') psyche. We should know! We'll see how the Pards respond and if Frank really is the master of motivation that is often touted.

I suspect we'll see the Black jerseys again. xcoffeex

Unfortunately, it appears that will be the case. xrolleyesx

RichH2
November 16th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Even a loss to Lafayette will probably not cause Coen is job. He has done many things well. I have some doubts about the OC. While O has improved over the year, way too many "what the h***" calls. Loss of McGowan very big problem. Poor guy has not had any luck. After Spring practice we had 5 rbs , one quit for injuries, next lost fire for game, McGowan and Walker hurt.

Game this weekend will be very tight.

Real issue is whether team has learned to win close games? Can staff, get them beyond just good enuf to nearly win and actually win one.

LehighFan11
November 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Any chance McGowen plays this weekend?

RichH2
November 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
No way of knowing ,unless Coen tells at press conference, game notes really give no up to date info.

Lehigh74
November 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
My hope is that Lafayette is over confident and is unprepared.

Over confident maybe, unprepared no way. Tavani is too good a coach for that to happen.

LEHIGH61
November 16th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I'm seeing all the talk about Lafayette being heavy favorites against Lehigh
and I throughly disagree. If you look at comparative scores I think the game is a toss-up. Absolutely no reason for Lehigh to be intimidated.

HARVARD 27 Lehigh 24
HARVARD 27 Lafayette 13

COLGATE 34 Lehigh 33
COLGATE 21 Lafayette 13

HOLY CROSS 35 Lehigh 21
HOLY CROSS 27 Lafayette 26

Lehigh 33 Georgetown 13
Lafayette 24 Georgetown 6

Lehigh 45 Fordham 24
Lafayette 48 Fordham 13

Lehigh 31 Bucknell 15
Lafayette 38 Bucknell 21

AND LOOK AT THE STATISTICAL COMPARISONS AGAINST THEIR TOUGHEST OPPONENTS:

TOTAL YARDS
Harvard 419 Lafayette 291
Harvard 368 Lehigh 393

Colgate 288 Lafayette 281
Colgate 393 Lehigh 398

Holy Cross 490 Lafayette 320
Holy Cross 489 Lehigh 375
It looks pretty even to me , with an edge to LEHIGH.

Franks Tanks
November 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I'm seeing all the talk about Lafayette being heavy favorites against Lehigh
and I throughly disagree. If you look at comparative scores I think the game is a toss-up. Absolutely no reason for Lehigh to be intimidated.

HARVARD 27 Lehigh 24
HARVARD 27 Lafayette 13

COLGATE 34 Lehigh 33
COLGATE 21 Lafayette 13

HOLY CROSS 35 Lehigh 21
HOLY CROSS 27 Lafayette 26

Lehigh 33 Georgetown 13
Lafayette 24 Georgetown 6

Lehigh 45 Fordham 24
Lafayette 48 Fordham 13

Lehigh 31 Bucknell 15
Lafayette 38 Bucknell 21

AND LOOK AT THE STATISTICAL COMPARISONS AGAINST THEIR TOUGHEST OPPONENTS:

TOTAL YARDS
Harvard 419 Lafayette 291
Harvard 368 Lehigh 393

Colgate 288 Lafayette 281
Colgate 393 Lehigh 398

Holy Cross 490 Lafayette 320
Holy Cross 489 Lehigh 375
It looks pretty even to me , with an edge to LEHIGH.

You forgot some slightly important stats 7-3 vs. 4-6. Also 4 in a row.

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I'm going with Lehigh because ngineer is my buddy!xnodx :D

LEHIGH61
November 16th, 2008, 05:59 PM
And the team that makes the least mistakes will win.

LUHawker
November 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Both teams have lost to Holy Cross, Colgate and Harvard.
Both teams defeated Fordham, Georgetown and Bucknell.

Lehigh lost to #6 Villanova, Princeton and Cornell.

Lafayette defeated Marist, Columbia and Liberty.

So of common opponents played, each team is exactly 3-3. I dare say that the difference in record is not very telling, nor compelling.

Franks Tanks
November 16th, 2008, 06:22 PM
And the team that makes the least mistakes will win.

Gee thanks for that analysis Emmit Smith. Its all about the turovers right? :)

LehighFan11
November 16th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Well comparing the in conference games and common OOC opponents, does hold their ground.

Harvard Worship
November 16th, 2008, 08:35 PM
So I realize week to week any team can play well, poorly & whatnot, but from the perspective of one of those common opponents: Lehigh sure gave us a helluva a scare at home (would have won too if not for a flukey fumble within our 10 yard line with under a minute left as they were driving for the winning TD/tying FG). So I think Lehigh breaks the streak this year.

I'm sure it'll be a great close game for fans of both teams however it turns out.

Franks Tanks
November 16th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Well comparing the in conference games and common OOC opponents, does hold their ground.

We have won and lost to the same common opponents. Degree of winning and losing are rather stupid. We lost to the Cross by one and you lost Colgate by one. Cross beat you pretty good and Colgate beat us by 10. It doesnt mean Jack.

LehighFan11
November 16th, 2008, 08:44 PM
We have won and lost to the same common opponents. Degree of winning and losing are rather stupid. We lost to the Cross by one and you lost Colgate by one. Cross beat you pretty good and Colgate beat us by 10. It doesnt mean Jack.
Yea exactly what I'm saying, very comparable. No edge can be determined by analyzing how each team did vs. common opponents.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I'm confident in MY alma mater taking care of Lafayette in hoops Friday night. However, i'm still searching for a reason to believe that Lehigh can make it make it a weekend sweep against Lafayette.

RichH2
November 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Well I guess we can hope the gods are with us this weekend. Lets hope McGowan can play. and that the OC lets clarke throw as LC's secondary is leaky.
Team a bit better with consistency from the start of the season, but still not good. Play well for a couple of series then major brain spasms give it all back

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2008, 11:27 PM
bump for ngineer.

LEHIGH61
November 18th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Will Quilling start. Is he any good?

LCFan21
November 18th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Will Quilling start. Is he any good?

News from the press conference is that Quilling has not been himself this week so Tavani is starting freshman Ryan O'niel. xlolx

LehighFan11
November 18th, 2008, 01:35 PM
News from the press conference is that Quilling has not been himself this week so Tavani is starting freshman Ryan O'niel. xlolx
Are you serious? What happened to Curley?

LCFan21
November 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Are you serious? What happened to Curley?

Curley is in the process of battling back from not starting - the wind was taken from his sails - he has not been himself either. xrotatehx

LehighFan11
November 18th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Curley is in the process of battling back from not starting - the wind was taken from his sails - he has not been himself either. xrotatehx
So Lafayette would start a Freshman who hasn't taken a snap over Curley if Quilling can't play?

LCFan21
November 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
So Lafayette would start a Freshman who hasn't taken a snap over Curley if Quilling can't play?

I am just having some fun with this and trying to lighten up the mood from the LC fan perspective.

Curley or Quilling will be the #1 and #2 - the decision as to who will start may or may not have been made already. From what we have been told so far the decision might come as late as the coin toss.

LehighFan11
November 18th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I am just having some fun with this and trying to lighten up the mood from the LC fan perspective.

Curley or Quilling will be the #1 and #2 - the decision as to who will start may or may not have been made already. From what we have been told so far the decision might come as late as the coin toss.
Ok, so they are both healthy? Tavani just doesn't know who he wants to start yet?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2008, 01:58 PM

I see.

Heads - Quilling
Tails - Curley

xlolx

LehighFan11
November 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I see.

Heads - Quilling
Tails - Curley

xlolx
I vote Heads.

LCFan21
November 18th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I vote Heads.

The best answer I can offer right now is this.....if the coach percieves Curley to be acting like himself this week......he will start.......if not you will see Quilling. :D

LehighFan11
November 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM
The best answer I can offer right now is this.....if the coach percieves Curley to be acting like himself this week......he will start.......if not you will see Quilling. :D
Alright thanks.

Pards Rule
November 18th, 2008, 02:42 PM
So what are they both taking snaps this week?

LCFan21
November 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
All kidding a side here - a concussion is not something to mess with and it sounds like Coach Tavani/ coaches are not convinced Rob has fully recovered. It is not unusual for someone to miss three full games with an injury such as this. They are going to watch him closely this week in practice and make the best decision based on that. It is a tough situation to be in for both the player and the coaches. If it were my kid.....I would error on the side of caution and not want to risk further injury. If he could look me in the eye and tell me he is 100% ready and has a stong week in practice....he gets the start. ANY hesitation whatsoever......I would not advise taking the risk.

Pards Rule
November 18th, 2008, 03:43 PM
All kidding a side here - a concussion is not something to mess with and it sounds like Coach Tavani/ coaches are not convinced Rob has fully recovered. It is not unusual for someone to miss three full games with an injury such as this. They are going to watch him closely this week in practice and make the best decision based on that. It is a tough situation to be in for both the player and the coaches. If it were my kid.....I would error on the side of caution and not want to risk further injury. If he could look me in the eye and tell me he is 100% ready and has a stong week in practice....he gets the start. ANY hesitation whatsoever......I would not advise taking the risk.

LC21 - is that the pic in your avatar of the decleater hit by Romans? I think it still gets a lot of youtube hits xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Didn't Nick Fierro of the Express-Times basically say in his blog that Curley has been ready to go as of last weekend?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2008, 05:50 PM
My Take

Lafayette 38 Lehigh 20: I'm confident Lafayette will be the better coached and prepared team on Saturday. I can't see Lehigh slowing down Adair and company through the air. Lafayette will have trouble running the ball but Lehigh's pass defense is boarderline terrible so it won't make much of a difference. On offense i think Lehigh will move the ball between the 20's but the inability to come up with big plays and a poor kicking game will continue to be a problem. Overall Lehigh has shown zero ability to rise to the occaison and beat a formidable opponent. The only people picking Lehigh IMO are doing so out of homerism. The sad part is Lehigh will be in big trouble next year with their graduation losses. Lehigh might legitimately be terrible next year. This streak might reach 7 or 8 before it ends.

LehighFan11
November 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM
My Take

Lafayette 38 Lehigh 20: I'm confident Lafayette will be the better coached and prepared team on Saturday. I can't see Lehigh slowing down Adair and company through the air. Lafayette will have trouble running the ball but Lehigh's pass defense is boarderline terrible so it won't make much of a difference. On offense i think Lehigh will move the ball between the 20's but the inability to come up with big plays and a poor kicking game will continue to be a problem. Overall Lehigh has shown zero ability to rise to the occaison and beat a formidable opponent. The only people picking Lehigh IMO are doing so out of homerism. The sad part is Lehigh will be in big trouble next year with their graduation losses. Lehigh might legitimately be terrible next year. This streak might reach 7 or 8 before it ends.
I bet Vegas gives us a very solid shot at winning.

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I'm very torn on who I want to win..
My Aunt went to Lafayette
Villanova played Lehigh.. and i know some other people who have..
So somebody try to break my neutrality and win me over haha

LehighFan11
November 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I'm very torn on who I want to win..
My Aunt went to Lafayette
Villanova played Lehigh.. and i know some other people who have..
So somebody try to break my neutrality and win me over haha
Have to rout for the underdog. We haven't won in 5 years!

Lehigh74
November 18th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I haven't been to a game at Lafayette in a long time. Where is the best place to park?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I haven't been to a game at Lafayette in a long time. Where is the best place to park?

I feel for you 74. I'm trying to figure out where to park for the Temple-Lafayette basketball game on Friday night let alone the game on Saturday. Hopefully some 'Pard fans can provide some inside (AGS) info.

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2008, 07:57 AM

In someone's driveway like I do xnodx

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2008, 08:04 AM

If you get there relatively early you can park in the parking garage on the other side of campus (near 22). News dorms and a huge parking garage were built there about 4 years ago. If that is full look for anywhere you can find on campus. Dont be afraid to park in March filed if you are still allowed to get in.

If the garage and campus is full its the street my friend. It is the one drawback of an on campus stadium.

LCFan21
November 19th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Didn't Nick Fierro of the Express-Times basically say in his blog that Curley has been ready to go as of last weekend?

He was cleared to play by the doctor but obviously did not convince the coaches he was ready - they never publicly stated any real specifics as to what the exact reasons were - short of speaking with Rob personally I cannot say 100% but my intuition tells me he was not really giving them a clear signal that he was ready to go. Again this is a head injury we are talking about. Only he can answer that and I'm sure that will come out at some point soon. In any case it would be great to see Rob back at 100% and finish the great season he started. If for some reason those lingering effects are still around then Quilling is very capable of rising to the occassion.

Sean Adair has been the team MVP this year and you can expect him to make some big plays in this game as already noted on here. I have a gut feeling you will see #84 Bennett play a role in this one as well but that is just a hunch on my part. Both Morrow and Coon run well and are finally 100% - The O-line can be dominant at times and expect them to shine even brighter late in the second half - Joe Russo is special and any football fan would love watching him - he is the type of FB that loves to block as much as he loves to run the ball and break tackles - he just seems to always get 3 or 4 more yards then he should -

You all know what you will get from Andy Romans - you can ink in 10+ tackles right now as he seems to do it in almost every game he has started and completed in his career - Mark Leggerio has clearly stepped his game up and most Lehigh fans will take note of his improvement right away - he and Andy are close and have pushed each other for years now - win win - Neil Goldsmith is a playmaker and space eater - very solid and always seems to be in the right place at the right time - I am still waiting for Paulson and Mills to have that special break out performance type game but they play solid every week and have the capability to change games. Our secondary - they have the skill - they have what it takes - they just need to COME TOGETHER and play as a complete unit. They have not played up to thier potential for sure but that does not mean they can't come out this week and prove the naysayers wrong.

I expect a very close - hard fought and emotional game. You just know Lehigh is going to pull out every stop they can and nothing will surprise me....NOTHING! I expect LC to have somewhat of the same mentality but perhaps not to the same degree - you never know - I can't wait to see how it plays out.

I will be layering up and leaving my house around 8AM. Plan on hitting many tailgates - sharing some great stories, food and drinks of course and watching some great young guys lay it on the line for pride and tradition.

Good luck to all of the players. I hope both teams come out and play thier best game of the year.

LC 27
LU 21

LCFan21
November 19th, 2008, 09:05 AM
LC21 - is that the pic in your avatar of the decleater hit by Romans? I think it still gets a lot of youtube hits xlolx

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm8JGWJpi-4 xeekx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
My yearly blog posting on the history of "The Rivalry" I just posted:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/11/rivalry.html

Better, at the end of the posting is a link to the complete (1 hr) posted YouTube video of "The Lehigh/Lafayette Legacy"!

If that doesn't get you pumped, nothing will... xthumbsupx

LeopardFan04
November 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
My yearly blog posting on the history of "The Rivalry" I just posted:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/11/rivalry.html

Better, at the end of the posting is a link to the complete (1 hr) posted YouTube video of "The Lehigh/Lafayette Legacy"!

If that doesn't get you pumped, nothing will... xthumbsupx

Thanks for the link, LFN!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2008, 01:30 PM
We need more pics from older games. Anyone have any from '91 or '88?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM
We need more pics from older games. Anyone have any from '91 or '88?

I was in no state of mind to take pictures during those two games.

:o xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I was in no state of mind to take pictures during those two games.

:o xlolx

But just think how good they would be if ya had 'em? Those were two crazy years.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
But just think how good they would be if ya had 'em? Those were two crazy years.

I remember in 1991 hearing the final "crunch" of the wooden goalposts becoming fraternity-house trophies. It's a sound I'll never forget. Kinda like splitting balsawood.

RichH2
November 19th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Great video, damn but I feel old now.

Well the advantage to being old I have better seats for the game. I will stay for the 4th quarter I hope Lehigh does also. altho from what LC fans are posting and the one game I saw of theirs, LC doesn't show up either.Maybe if it is as cold as its supposed to be they can make it a 3 quarter game. With lehigh winning of course.xsmiley_wix

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Coldest game by far - final at Taylor in 1987! I stayed to the bitter end!

carney2
November 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
A Homer post by the ultimate Homerxsmiley_wix xnonox :)

Correction: Fisher Field is no more. On Saturday please take note that the lettering on the press box says "Fisher Stadium." Technically, it's "Fisher Field at Fisher Stadium," but Fisher Field it ain't.

Pard fans will note that the Klingerman catch is mentioned as if it was yesterday, but nothing on 2005's "Big Hurt" or "The Drive" of 2002.

For this week, and this week only, up yours, LFN.

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah, the Big Hurt should have been included...or was the film made before that TD catch?

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Yeah, the Big Hurt should have been included...or was the film made before that TD catch?

The film was made in 2004, and they follow the game that year. I would recommend watching it if you havent seen it.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2008, 03:13 PM
A Homer post by the ultimate Homerxsmiley_wix xnonox :)

Correction: Fisher Field is no more. On Saturday please take note that the lettering on the press box says "Fisher Stadium." Technically, it's "Fisher Field at Fisher Stadium," but Fisher Field it ain't.

Pard fans will note that the Klingerman catch is mentioned as if it was yesterday, but nothing on 2005's "Big Hurt" or "The Drive" of 2002.

For this week, and this week only, up yours, LFN.

Up yours, carney2! I mean that sincerely - this week.

Gladly we live in the 21st century so I can gladly make the updates that you suggested. Rather than be lazy and not include them, I took to the time to add the gut-wrenching history I forgot to mention - the *sob* four straight losses to Lafayette, and the titles won by the Leopards in the process.

ngineer
November 19th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I'm going with Lehigh because ngineer is my buddy!xnodx :D

Gee, thanks Ivy! I need all the help I can get. Of all weeks to be up to my eyeballs. Haven't had much time to visit the Board with court preparations..However, now as we approach THE weekend, the load is easing off. As I stated elsewhere, I think the guys will be approaching this as a game they NEED. Much more than just wanting to win. A win over the 'pards will provide some validation that these guys did have talent equal to the rest of the league. They just weren't able to put it together for various reasons in too many weeks. A good win also gives Coen a springboard for 2009, as we'll have some very good talent returning next year.

ngineer
November 19th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I see.

Heads - Quilling
Tails - Curley

xlolx

Howabout Moe or Larry??xsmiley_wix

ngineer
November 19th, 2008, 10:29 PM
If you get there relatively early you can park in the parking garage on the other side of campus (near 22). News dorms and a huge parking garage were built there about 4 years ago. If that is full look for anywhere you can find on campus. Dont be afraid to park in March filed if you are still allowed to get in.

If the garage and campus is full its the street my friend. It is the one drawback of an on campus stadium.

Being a resident of the area, I'd find a spot on the street just east of Cattell. Otherwise, it will take forever to get out after the game.

ngineer
November 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM
While Lehigh's pass defense has been maligned, and indeed, we have given up a lot of yardage, we have intercepted a good number of passes this year--3 times what we did in 2007. I think Coach K will be dialing up a good number of blitzes from varying looks. We have been strong against the run this year, so we have to expect LC will be looking to work on the soph corners. Here's hoping, LC's CB who got burned last week will have that in the back of his head.

LehighFan11
November 19th, 2008, 11:06 PM
LC's CB who got burned last week will have that in the back of his head.
Our corners Cibbs and Kennedy get beat deep once a week. Kennedy is playing at about 80%. I have no idea why he is still doing kick returns, but he is still doing a solid job at it. I think Adair and Yansane are both going over 100 yards easily.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Lehigh will win if does the following IMO
1. Limit Lafayette to <200 yards passing and <175 yards rushing.
2. Leo is 1/1 on fieldgoals, we don't want to be kicking nor missing them
3. Score a touchdown of greater than 50 yards. Lehigh has only done it 4 times all season. They'll need a big play on "O" this saturday.

65 Pard
November 20th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Given the LC result last week, talent will not win this game.....The team that craves it the most will take it....and I fear that may be LU....
It has been a hard luck year for Lehigh and they have something to prove....The Lafayette balloon has been severely deflated and unless Coach can find a way to get his guys to re-inflate it, we may be in for a long afternoon...

Franks Tanks
November 20th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Given the LC result last week, talent will not win this game.....The team that craves it the most will take it....and I fear that may be LU....
It has been a hard luck year for Lehigh and they have something to prove....The Lafayette balloon has been severely deflated and unless Coach can find a way to get his guys to re-inflate it, we may be in for a long afternoon...

I dont think the game will be a blowout either way. Yes the Pards may be deflated, but it is still the seniors last game and a chance to go out on top--still a big deal. I expect a typical hard fought and close game.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM

If anyone can "re-inflate" this team, it's Tavani. I've seen it too many times before.

RichH2
November 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Coldest game by far - final at Taylor in 1987! I stayed to the bitter end!

I stayed also then walked promptly to The Roosevelt behind Taylor for numerous hot toddies before heading out to party. Do not ever remember being so cold.

Andy
November 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I feel for you 74. I'm trying to figure out where to park for the Temple-Lafayette basketball game on Friday night let alone the game on Saturday. Hopefully some 'Pard fans can provide some inside (AGS) info.

Owl, Friday night you should have no problem finding a spot on the streets NE of Kirby. Right now there are "NO PARKING" signs on Hamilton ST (east side of Kirby) but the fine print says "Saturday Nov 22". The signs may scare enough fans away to allow you to find a spot right there.

Sat it will be more difficult, but even when arriving late I've found street parking much closer than where they put me at Lehigh, although that was by far the nicest grass I've ever parked on.

LehighFan11
November 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I don't really get this Tavani "great motivator" deal. This is Lehigh vs Lafayette, no coach motivation should be involved or needed. Lehigh could be 0-10 and they should still be highly motivated and focused come Saturday. Lafayette may of lost the PL championship last week but these kids still want to make it 5 in a row. So don't give me this Tavani will motivate his players better, he may out coach Coen but that isn't the same thing. If a Lehigh or Lafayette player can't get motivated for this game, kick them off the team.

65 Pard
November 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I don't really get this Tavani "great motivator" deal. This is Lehigh vs Lafayette, no coach motivation should be involved or needed. Lehigh could be 0-10 and they should still be highly motivated and focused come Saturday. Lafayette may of lost the PL championship last week but these kids still want to make it 5 in a row. So don't give me this Tavani will motivate his players better, he may out coach Coen but that isn't the same thing. If a Lehigh or Lafayette player can't get motivated for this game, kick them off the team.

It was the Super Bowl but the Giants craved the victory more.....Pats had just lost the big prize (undefeated season) and were deflated...Doesn't mean Pats were not motivated for the game...a Super Bowl!...but they did not recapture the psychological edge they had held all year...

LehighFan11
November 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM
It was the Super Bowl but the Giants craved the victory more.....Pats had just lost the big prize (undefeated season) and were deflated...Doesn't mean Pats were not motivated for the game...a Super Bowl!...but they did not recapture the psychological edge they had held all year...
Good example of the Super Bowl. That game was a case of the Giants wanting it more than the Pats. However for a rivalry game like Lehigh/Laf, the records are 0-0. I have to believe both teams will be equally motivated no matter who gives the pre-game speech.

Franks Tanks
November 20th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Good example of the Super Bowl. That game was a case of the Giants wanting it more than the Pats. However for a rivalry game like Lehigh/Laf, the records are 0-0. I have to believe both teams will be equally motivated no matter who gives the pre-game speech.

Frank's pre game speeches are rather average . Now Bill Russo could give a pre-game speech :) I think when pard faithful refer to Franks motivation skills I think it speaks to more about getting the kids ready to play and their minds intense and focused. But as you say both teams will be ready to go and jacked up.

ngineer
November 20th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Owl, Friday night you should have no problem finding a spot on the streets NE of Kirby. Right now there are "NO PARKING" signs on Hamilton ST (east side of Kirby) but the fine print says "Saturday Nov 22". The signs may scare enough fans away to allow you to find a spot right there.

Sat it will be more difficult, but even when arriving late I've found street parking much closer than where they put me at Lehigh, although that was by far the nicest grass I've ever parked on.

Man, you're misusing the stuff...xsmiley_wix

carney2
November 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I think when pard faithful refer to Franks motivation skills I think it speaks to more about getting the kids ready to play and their minds intense and focused. But as you say both teams will be ready to go and jacked up.

Tavani is not above using "special" techniques for THE Game however. One year it was dog tags; another it was a speech by a blind mountain climber who had scaled Mt. Everest. Who knows what, if anything, he has planned for Friday and Saturday. Back in August however, he had two large countdown clocks installed in the team's locker room. One counted down the days, hours, minutes and seconds to the next game. Message: every game is important. The other has inexorably been counting down the days, hours, minutes and seconds to the Lehigh game. Message: some games are more important than others.

ngineer
November 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
We're going to have a great gang at High and Cattell Streets at Grube's service station. Class of 1974, with a number of former football players from our great class, and many others will be in seasonal form. Our traditional deep-fried "Lafayette Turkeys" will be the main bill of fare, but with mounds of other goodies. If any of you guys are in the 'neighborhood' stop in and say hi.

Franks Tanks
November 20th, 2008, 09:22 PM
We're going to have a great gang at High and Cattell Streets at Grube's service station. Class of 1974, with a number of former football players from our great class, and many others will be in seasonal form. Our traditional deep-fried "Lafayette Turkeys" will be the main bill of fare, but with mounds of other goodies. If any of you guys are in the 'neighborhood' stop in and say hi.

Do you always tailgate there? I remember seeing a large Lehigh contingent in that space in that past. Lafayette has purchased that property apparently and will turn in into a coffee shop--from what I hear.

ngineer
November 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Do you always tailgate there? I remember seeing a large Lehigh contingent in that space in that past. Lafayette has purchased that property apparently and will turn in into a coffee shop--from what I hear.

Yes, it has been our 'encampment' over the past number of L-L games. Yes, we heard that Grube is selling it, although some 'glitches' may have sprung up--we thought we'd have to find a new space for this year, but were told the settlement hadn't gone through yet. Maybe there's an issue with ground 'clean up' due to it's many years as a service station, there could be subterranean contamination issues...?

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2008, 08:01 AM
Yes, it has been our 'encampment' over the past number of L-L games. Yes, we heard that Grube is selling it, although some 'glitches' may have sprung up--we thought we'd have to find a new space for this year, but were told the settlement hadn't gone through yet. Maybe there's an issue with ground 'clean up' due to it's many years as a service station, there could be subterranean contamination issues...?

I would think so. I know Lafayette has been desperate to purchase that lot and turn it into something of benefit to the college for years. A few years ago one of my associated may have yelled some dispariging remarks toward your group. Sorry bout that

LehighFan11
November 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM
My take:

I can't wait for this game. I truly believe it will be a close fought game. A few weeks ago, I would of given Lafayette a strong advantage, but not anymore. They have shown some weakness and Lehigh has shown strength, partically vs. Colgate. I don't think Lafayette is as good as their record indicates and I don't think Lehigh is as bad as theirs. I think Clark will have success vs. Lafayette's D. I'm worried Lehigh will be completely one dimensional (if McGowan can't play). I'm looking forward to Yansane having a HUGE day (150+ 1td). Lehigh's defense will struggle to stop the run but if they can keep them under 200 yards, I would be happy. I think it will be evenly played with Lehigh making the big play somewhere, whether it be a Yansane long TD, a Cribbs INT, or special teams kick return.

Lehigh 28-24.

ngineer
November 21st, 2008, 10:23 PM
I would think so. I know Lafayette has been desperate to purchase that lot and turn it into something of benefit to the college for years. A few years ago one of my associated may have yelled some dispariging remarks toward your group. Sorry bout that

Sort of goes with the territory..;)

ngineer
November 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM
I was at the Beat Lafayette Luncheon today and feel real good after talking to a bunch of the seniors. What a classy bunch of guys. I really hope they can go out winners after such a trying year. McGowan will be giving it a 'go'..I doubt he'll be 100%, but we'll see how much the adrenaline will cover. Michael Blunt--Class of 1995 and a DB, gave a very emotional and thoughtful talk about 'the Game' and how it reflects Life.
I agree with the thought of Yansane having a great close out game. Diamond is pumped and everyone is healthy, except Bode who is still on crutches, but Warren has done a very good job in his place this year.
The Wrestling Team got things 'stoked' for tomorrow with a major upset of #9 Michigan at Stabler Arena tonight before about 3,000 fans going nuts!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Well so far i'm 1/1 for the weekend against Laugh-E-yette. Temple took down the 'Pards 71-55 in Easton. I was at the game and all Lehigh fans should be proud of the 15 or so Temple students who pulled out a solid "Let's Go Lehigh" chant during the game. I'm still not too optmistic about tomorrow. I think Lehigh has to prove it first before you can pick them to win. Maybe tomorrow that changes, we'll see.

65 Pard
November 22nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
My take:

I can't wait for this game. I truly believe it will be a close fought game. A few weeks ago, I would of given Lafayette a strong advantage, but not anymore. They have shown some weakness and Lehigh has shown strength, partically vs. Colgate. I don't think Lafayette is as good as their record indicates and I don't think Lehigh is as bad as theirs.

Lehigh 28-24.

I fear you may be onto something here......will be watching telecast at Orlando Ale House in FL.......hoping for the best, but very anxiously