PDA

View Full Version : NDSU VS SDSU Game predictions

BisonBacker
November 15th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I know this weeks games are not all over yet but since SDSU lost today and NDSU won it still leaves in interesting game for next week in Fargo. Will this be the year the bunnies end the losing streak in Fargo? Personally I think the rabbits have an excellent chance. I think they have the better team this year and NDSU's offense still lacks even a mediocre passing game since our QB has coaches who have no confidence in his passing abilities and limit our play calling because of it. So who are you picking to win it? Some Bison fans still are holding out hope that the Bison could get into the playoffs. I'm not one of them that thinks it's going to happen.

jackmd
November 15th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I gotta go with the Jackrabbits. We'll be hosting a party at Ben's Brewing Company in Yankton, SD. Looking forward to a great game in front of a great crowd. If the Bison win I still don't think they make the playoffs, too many other really deserving teams.

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2008, 08:39 PM
lol

That second choice shouldn't even be there. Neither team is going to the playoffs this year.

TheBisonator
November 15th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I will predict:

SDSU 27
NDSU 41

Bison probably will get snubbed from the playoffs though. NDSU will finish a respectable 3rd place in the MVFC.

RabidRabbit
November 15th, 2008, 08:48 PM
There will be too many 8 D-1 win teams to drop into 7-4 or 7-5 teams.

Jacks are an explosive offensive team with a good d, especially against power runners, like roehl. If they can stack the box against the run because no passing game, they will be in the backfield with Merten/Roehl all day.

Berry played a good game but the two interceptions did his great play in at SIU. He is close to magically in distributing passes, and using the running game to balance off the passing game. The SIU/SDSU game was the 2007 Dakota Marker game in reverse.

WIU demonstrated that the Bison can lose in Fargo. This Rabbit is hopping that Jacks can break the generational lock on winning in Fargo this year.

BirdieJack
November 15th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I will predict:

SDSU 27
NDSU 41

Bison probably will get snubbed from the playoffs though. NDSU will finish a respectable 3rd place in the MVFC.

That's the kind of prediction I EXPECT from the Bison faithful.xrotatehx

"Snubbed"...are you kidding me?? Only on the Bison Board will there be serious talk of the Bison being "snubbed" in the playoffs, with a win next Saturday.

Go Jacks!! - No prediction other than this game being a "whale of a game".

SteelCurtain
November 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM
lol

That second choice shouldn't even be there. Neither team is going to the playoffs this year.
I agree, we don't desereve it this year. If we play sloopy uninspired football like we have all year I expect us to lose this game. What really worries me is next years team will probably be worse

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I agree, we don't desereve it this year. If we play sloopy uninspired football like we have all year I expect us to lose this game. What really worries me is next years team will probably be worseYou never know.

Everyone expected this Montana team to be much, much worse than last year's team, and we were pleasantly surprised.

TheBisonator
November 15th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I agree, we don't desereve it this year. If we play sloopy uninspired football like we have all year I expect us to lose this game. What really worries me is next years team will probably be worse

Next years team will in NO WAY be worse. Get your mind out of that half-empty attitude.

JackTwice
November 15th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Roehl has something extra in this game (he fumbled to give away the game last year) but I still think the Jacks come out on top. I'll say:

Jacks 34
Bison 28

FargoBison
November 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Mertens looked better today, Bison have home field, and Roehl is running the ball with some authority behind a rejuvenated O-line. I say Bison 31-27.

BisonBacker
November 15th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I only put in the second prediction because some who are wishing and dreaming for christmas to come early think they have a chance. I don't think they do but figured I'd put the option in there for those who like to dream. Bison will have to play the best game they have played all year to win this one. I don't see Mertens being able to bring back to life the passing game that's been dead all year. Regarding next years team I have to agree I don't see any difference then this years team unless we have a different QB who the coaches will trust to read a defense, be able to audible at the line and have more TD completions then INT's. Unless they recruit one or Mohler pleasantly surprises us we are in for a long year next year.

Drblankstare
November 15th, 2008, 10:29 PM
As disappointing as this year has been, I dont see NDSU losing this game.
The Bison will not make the playoffs however, unless there is a huge sympathy movement for NDSU not being eligible the last couple years, but I doubt it.
Bison 34 Jacks 30

ValleyChamp
November 15th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I predict Bison lose in OT and then claim share of the BCS national championship...

cvbison1
November 15th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I predict Bison lose in OT and then claim share of the BCS national championship...

hahaha, that was kind of funny, but i think the bison will win in a barn burner, and won't get the call for the BCS national championship against Alabama

UNIFanSince1983
November 15th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I predict NDSU will win, and will not even cross the mind of a single committee memeber. There is not chance they make the playoffs put it in the bank!

malibudude
November 15th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Jacks 33 Bison 31

gabe01
November 16th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I think NDSU wins a close game over a big time rival. We don't control our own playoff destiny but with a win some luck, we could sneak in and grab the #16 spot.

Quietly, NDSU has snuck back into the top 25. We could take 3rd place in the MVC. When it's all said an done, we hope they recognize the Missouri Valley Conference, with the addition of NDSU and SDSU, ranks right up there with the CAA and Southern and deserves 3 teams.

Yeah, it's a long shot but still possible. A lot of teams we needed to lose, lost today such as Mass, William & Mary, Furman, and Tennesee State.

Here's what has to happen for NDSU to get in.

NDSU must beat SDSU
Maine has to lose to #13 New Hamp (in Maine)
#7 Richmond has to beat WIlliam & Mary (at W&M)
#22 Liberty has to beat to #11 Elon
Tennesee Martin must beat Eastern Kentucky for auto bid.

IF THAT HAPPENS, YOUR PLAYOFF TEAMS ARE...

AUTO BIDS: Weber State, James Madison, Northern Iowa, South Carolina State, Tennessee Martin, Colgate, McNeese State, and Appalachian State.

AT LARGE BIDS
MONTANA- RICHMOND- VILLANOVA- CAL POLY- NEW HAMPSHIRE-SOUTHERN ILLINOIS -WOFFORD -NDSU

LEFT OUT
Elon (8-4), FURMAN (7-5), MAINE (7-4), Tennessee State (9-3), William & Mary (7-4), Liberty (10-2)

I think NDSU would represent well in the playoffs. We have a win over top 10 Southern Illinois and we will be 6-3 in tough conference play. Of the other teams that miss, none of them have wins over highly ranked teams. (William & Mary is the closest with a 4 point win over #13 New Hampshire)

NDSU's 4 losses are respectable. We lost on a last second field goal to D1-A Wyoming (who hasn't lost to an FCS team since 1976)

We lost 2 close conference games to ranked teams by 1 score or less... and our worst defeat was to #3 Northern Iowa. UNI is so good at home that a 10 point loss was the most competitive home game of the year. Basically we in every game.

I can't say the same for the teams I have behind NDSU:

Elon (got blown out twice & lost by 55 points!)
Furman (got blown out by Elon)
Maine (got blown out by JMA/Richmond by combined 47 points!)
William & Mary (got blown out today by JM)

Tennessee State (haven't played anyone good, ohio valley weak schedule, barely beat Austin Peay)

Liberty - Their biggest win of the year was a 3 point squeaker over Youngstown State, the most schizophrenic team in the FCS. (they had their QB quit after the 2nd game) They got blown out by an awful Presbyterian team! Otherwise they haven't played anyone.

And finally, I hope they don't give the Ohio Valley another at large spot because they are not deserving, in my opinion. What's the last time an OVC team beat a Gateway team in the playoffs?

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I think NDSU wins a close game over a big time rival. We don't control our own playoff destiny but with a win some luck, we could sneak in and grab the #16 spot.

Quietly, NDSU has snuck back into the top 25. We could take 3rd place in the MVC. When it's all said an done, we hope they recognize the Missouri Valley Conference, with the addition of NDSU and SDSU, ranks right up there with the CAA and Southern and deserves 3 teams.

Yeah, it's a long shot but still possible. A lot of teams we needed to lose, lost today such as Mass, William & Mary, Furman, and Tennesee State.

Here's what has to happen for NDSU to get in.

NDSU must beat SDSU
Maine has to lose to #13 New Hamp (in Maine)
#7 Richmond has to beat WIlliam & Mary (at W&M)
#22 Liberty has to beat to #11 Elon
Tennesee Martin must beat Eastern Kentucky for auto bid.

IF THAT HAPPENS, YOUR PLAYOFF TEAMS ARE...

AUTO BIDS: Weber State, James Madison, Northern Iowa, South Carolina State, Tennessee Martin, Colgate, McNeese State, and Appalachian State.

AT LARGE BIDS
MONTANA- RICHMOND- VILLANOVA- CAL POLY- NEW HAMPSHIRE-SOUTHERN ILLINOIS -WOFFORD -NDSU

LEFT OUT
Elon (8-4), FURMAN (7-5), MAINE (7-4), Tennessee State (9-3), William & Mary (7-4), Liberty (10-2)

I think NDSU would represent well in the playoffs. We have a win over top 10 Southern Illinois and we will be 6-3 in tough conference play. Of the other teams that miss, none of them have wins over highly ranked teams. (William & Mary is the closest with a 4 point win over #13 New Hampshire)

NDSU's 4 losses are respectable. We lost on a last second field goal to D1-A Wyoming (who hasn't lost to an FCS team since 1976)

We lost 2 close conference games to ranked teams by 1 score or less... and our worst defeat was to #3 Northern Iowa. UNI is so good at home that a 10 point loss was the most competitive home game of the year. Basically we in every game.

I can't say the same for the teams I have behind NDSU:

Elon (got blown out twice & lost by 55 points!)
Furman (got blown out by Elon)
Maine (got blown out by JMA/Richmond by combined 47 points!)
William & Mary (got blown out today by JM)

Tennessee State (haven't played anyone good, ohio valley weak schedule, barely beat Austin Peay)

Liberty - Their biggest win of the year was a 3 point squeaker over Youngstown State, the most schizophrenic team in the FCS. (they had their QB quit after the 2nd game) They got blown out by an awful Presbyterian team! Otherwise they haven't played anyone.

And finally, I hope they don't give the Ohio Valley another at large spot because they are not deserving, in my opinion. What's the last time an OVC team beat a Gateway team in the playoffs?Southern Illinois has the green-light for the MVFC autobid. They beat UNI, and have one conference loss.

I'm also fairly sure they'd put 3 SoCon teams or 5 CAA teams in over 3 MVFC teams, especially considering NDSU's loss to Youngstown State was anything but respectable. Same thing can be said for 3 Big Sky teams. Unless some really, really crazy ***** happens, MVFC and BSC are only getting two teams in.

gabe01
November 16th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Southern Illinois has the green-light for the MVFC autobid. They beat UNI, and have one conference loss.

I'm also fairly sure they'd put 3 SoCon teams or 5 CAA teams in over 3 MVFC teams, especially considering NDSU's loss to Youngstown State was anything but respectable. Same thing can be said for 3 Big Sky teams. Unless some really, really crazy ***** happens, MVFC and BSC are only getting two teams in.

Youngstown is an Effed up team. They had players quit and even their own fans call it the most messed up in history. Which team are they? The team that lost to Northern Iowa on a blocked extra point or the one who lost to Southern Illinois by 33 a week earlier?

They are a decent team at home and I hate to make excuses but it was the most injuries we have ever had in a single game.. I think we had 7 starters out and we were doing 3rd and 4th stringers. We started 2 freshman at RB. A backup center. Backup LT. 3rd string middle linebacker. Backup outside linebacker. 4th string safety. A freshman DE. If we play them tomorrow, we in in a blowout.

I think Appy and Wofford are the only worth while teams in teh Southern.The CAA should get 4. 5 if Maine wins but I don't think they will. Neither will W&M.

BisonBacker
November 16th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Sorry Gabe but YSU was a horrible team this year and no excuse will change that fact and we lost to them. We don't get a sniff for the playoffs hell we haven't even won our 7th game yet and I'm not feeling good about our chances to beat SDSU in Fargo next week either. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Bison101
November 16th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Sorry Gabe but YSU was a horrible team this year and no excuse will change that fact and we lost to them. We don't get a sniff for the playoffs hell we haven't even won our 7th game yet and I'm not feeling good about our chances to beat SDSU in Fargo next week either. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Dude, don't worry.

The Bison have the top pass defense in the country. We are number 5 in total defense. We lost to Youngstown because of injuries and bad reff calls. We lost by a last second field goal to an FBS team with full scholarships. FOUR Teams have been submitted from the MVFC before, and we are number 3. We also beat the a potential first place candidate (SIU) by two scores. We have an extremely legit shot.

Rabbitlivinginverm
November 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM
63-0

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Dude, don't worry.

The Bison have the top pass defense in the country. We are number 5 in total defense. We lost to Youngstown because of injuries and bad reff calls. We lost by a last second field goal to an FBS team with full scholarships. FOUR Teams have been submitted from the MVFC before, and we are number 3. We also beat the a potential first place candidate (SIU) by two scores. We have an extremely legit shot.

If you're going to play the ref card then so can we. SIU lost to NDSU because the refs blew the fumble call the play before your first score. Your TE fumbled it away on the 10 and your whole state knows it's true. Also, you won by eight points, one score. You were lucky to catch us early in our new system and coach.

It's hard to call because it's a rivalry game at your place, but SDSU is probably the better team because they can still score when their run is shut down; NDSU, not so much.

BisonBacker
November 16th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Dude, don't worry.

Wow talk about rose colored glasses. Wyoming is horrible absolutely horrible and we still lost to them. SIU had it not been for some boneheaded plays/penalties by SIU would have been a loss as well. I don't buy the BS about bad ref calls. This NDSU team has a decent defense but our passing game / QB play cripples us. Put Mertens up against a good defense and he plays like crap. He can't read a defense if his life depends on it, constantly throws into double and triple coverage and doesn't check off from his primary reciever so he telegraphs every freaking pass so bad that Stevie Wonder could play pass defense against him. Sorry but we don't have a legit shot at the playoffs and we won't as long as Mertens is our QB.

You watch the SDSU game. They will stack the box and force Mertens to pass and he will choke like he has against good competition all year long. I have really come to question Bohl's ability to evaluate QB's. All of what I mentioned doesn't even touch on the horrible play calling we have had this year to. Lets see run, then run again then third and long pass. The SDSU D line will be pinning their ears back and have to be chomping at the bit to play this game. Legit shot yeah we lost to YSU and you want to talk legit shot xnonono2x

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Wow talk about rose colored glasses. Wyoming is horrible absolutely horrible and we still lost to them. SIU had it not been for some boneheaded plays/penalties by SIU would have been a loss as well. I don't buy the BS about bad ref calls. This NDSU team has a decent defense but our passing game / QB play cripples us. Put Mertens up against a good defense and he plays like crap. He can't read a defense if his life depends on it, constantly throws into double and triple coverage and doesn't check off from his primary reciever so he telegraphs every freaking pass so bad that Stevie Wonder could play pass defense against him. Sorry but we don't have a legit shot at the playoffs and we won't as long as Mertens is our QB.

You watch the SDSU game. They will stack the box and force Mertens to pass and he will choke like he has against good competition all year long. I have really come to question Bohl's ability to evaluate QB's. All of what I mentioned doesn't even touch on the horrible play calling we have had this year to. Lets see run, then run again then third and long pass. The SDSU D line will be pinning their ears back and have to be chomping at the bit to play this game. Legit shot yeah we lost to YSU and you want to talk legit shot xnonono2x

Was this Merten's first season starting?

RabidRabbit
November 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Was this Merten's first season starting?

Yes, Steve Walker was the stellar NDSU QB the prior 3 (or 4) seasons. A bison fan will correct if I'm wrong. xsmiley_wix

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Yes, Steve Walker was the stellar NDSU QB the prior 3 (or 4) seasons. A bison fan will correct if I'm wrong. xsmiley_wix

First season starting in the MVC isn't easy for most QBs, he may be a stud next year.

BisonBacker
November 16th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Yes it's his first season and hopefully last.

BisonBacker
November 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM
First season starting in the MVC isn't easy for most QBs, he may be a stud next year.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 10:42 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

The consensus here was that Allaria should have started at QB this year. Diekerl looked pretty bad for the first five weeks but has improved since, though he still has a long way to go.

RabidRabbit
November 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM

Ryan Berry did just fine in the MVFC this year.

IMHO, I didn't see much different in the quality of the teams between the GWFC (of 2004-2007) and the MoValley teams this year. The only difference was having more games in conference.

1st year starters almost always need a couple of starts before they start shining. Whether they play in the MVFC or another conference.

usdfbalum63
November 16th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Which channel in SD is picking up the game Saturday night? Would love to watch -- really enjoyed last years battle in Brookings.

JackTwice
November 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Which channel in SD is picking up the game Saturday night? Would love to watch -- really enjoyed last years battle in Brookings.

KSFY has got it. Unfortunately that's how I'll be viewing it also.

Gil Dobie
November 16th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'd say the game is a flip of the coin, could go either way. :(

Go Bison
November 16th, 2008, 03:33 PM
63-0

I don't think that NDSU will win by that much xlolx .

gabe01
November 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM

Wyoming hasn't lost to an FCS team since 1978!! They needed a last second field goal to beat us. Your glass is sure half empty.

We soundly beat Southern Illinois. Give credit when credit is due. We also missed 3 chip shot field goals against Southern Illinois.

gabe01
November 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
If you're going to play the ref card then so can we. SIU lost to NDSU because the refs blew the fumble call the play before your first score. Your TE fumbled it away on the 10 and your whole state knows it's true. Also, you won by eight points, one score. You were lucky to catch us early in our new system and coach.

It's hard to call because it's a rivalry game at your place, but SDSU is probably the better team because they can still score when their run is shut down; NDSU, not so much.

If we don't miss 3 field goals in the first half it's a blowout against SIU.

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM
If we don't miss 3 field goals in the first half it's a blowout against SIU.

If a frog had wings he wouldn't whomp his azz hopping.

bisonguy
November 16th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Dude, don't worry.

Injuries and bad ref calls didn't run for 340 yards against NDSU at Youngstown. xnonono2x

No way four MVFC teams make it this year. Most likely three won't even make it. There's not enough quality non-conf wins to justify it.

ValleyChamp
November 16th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Two teams make it from the MVC. I think those two teams have already wrapped it up basically.

gabe01
November 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Injuries and bad ref calls didn't run for 340 yards against NDSU at Youngstown. xnonono2x

No way four MVFC teams make it this year. Most likely three won't even make it. There's not enough quality non-conf wins to justify it.

The cause of the 340 yards rushing was a...

3rd string middle linebacker, 2nd string outside backer, backup freshman DE, and 4th string safety who jointed the team a month ago.

Those guys were so green that they still don't know what gap to cover.

It sounds like excuses but playing 4 guys who are just learning a defense at the same time is as bad as it gets.

Our defense has been very good since then. Overall we have the #5 D in the country and #1 vs the pass. It's not how you start. It's how you finish. Keep the faith!

I won't waste my breath talking about the 2 freshman rb's, backup center, and left tackle.

darell1976
November 16th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I see the Bison winning due to being at home but sorry i don't see them in the playoffs...maybe next year.

Houndawg
November 16th, 2008, 05:46 PM
The cause of the 340 yards rushing was a...

3rd string middle linebacker, 2nd string outside backer, backup freshman DE, and 4th string safety who jointed the team a month ago.

Those guys were so green that they still don't know what gap to cover.

It sounds like excuses but playing 4 guys who are just learning a defense at the same time is as bad as it gets.

Our defense has been very good since then. Overall we have the #5 D in the country and #1 vs the pass. It's not how you start. It's how you finish. Keep the faith!

I won't waste my breath talking about the 2 freshman rb's, backup center, and left tackle.

xeyebrowx Try it with eleven. On both sides of the ball. We were picked to finish fifth while rebuilding and learning a new system and coach.

Regardless, the MVC gets two teams in this year, tops. The perception is that it's a down year, that isn't our fault. If the XDSUs had won their OOCs we'd probably have gotten three. Sic transit gloria.xpeacex

JSUBison
November 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Our only hope in winning against SDSU is if Bohl would burn his playbook, dig around in the football storage shed, and pull out a tattered, worn out play book with "VEER" written on top.

usdfbalum63
November 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Our only hope in winning against SDSU is if Bohl would burn his playbook, dig around in the football storage shed, and pull out a tattered, worn out play book with "VEER" written on top.

Thanks ... Now I am going to have nightmares tonight. Bad memories.....

Gil Dobie
November 16th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Regardless, the MVC gets two teams in this year, tops. The perception is that it's a down year, that isn't our fault. If the XDSUs had won their OOCs we'd probably have gotten three. Sic transit gloria.xpeacex

Maybe for SDSU, NDSU needed to win at least 1 more conference game going into the SDSU game to have a chance for the playoffs.

Thunderstruck84
November 16th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I highly doubt NDSU gets in with a win but they will at least garner consideration. Cal Poly beating UC Davis yesterday and locking up an at large was the final nail in the coffin. I think a win against SDSU would put the Bison in the group of the last 3-4 teams out so they will get some consideration. In the end, losses at Youngstown and at home against WIU will kill them. I think a win in either of one those very winnable games would've put the Bison in a "win and you're in" situation this week.

CaBisonFan
November 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Bison will have to play the best game they have played all year to win this one. I don't see Mertens being able to bring back to life the passing game that's been dead all year. Regarding next years team I have to agree I don't see any difference then this years team unless we have a different QB who the coaches will trust to read a defense, be able to audible at the line and have more TD completions then INT's. Unless they recruit one or Mohler pleasantly surprises us we are in for a long year next year.

Christmas came early in Brookings last year. We gave the Jackrabbits several presents. To their credit, they took advantage of it.

Mohler has the West Coast attitude, arm, and athleticism. I suspect that Nick Mertens will get the initial nod next year, but Jose Mohler will be more prepared. Hopefully, we can recruit a transfer or JUCO player with some good talent also.

As for the game this coming Saturday...it really depends on whether we are in the giving spirit again. Tyler Roehl will be...ah...motivated...as will the offensive line. We also have Pat Paschall this year...a RB that we sorely missed in Brookings. If Pat runs like he can...he will change the game. Nick needs to play within himself, and hold onto the ball.

8 in the box again...Mertens over the top to Heckendorf, Belquist, Holloway, Williams, or Schultenover...something that we didn't try enough last year. The defense that SDSU played against us exposes the medium-range passing game in the middle of the field (Wurzbacher)...as well as the longer passes. If we can stretch the field some...unlike last year...it changes everything. If we take advantage of what we're given, then the freight train will Roehl...along with Paschall, Voigtlander, Vandal, & McNorton...to mention a few.

The weight of this game will be on Mertens' shoulders. If he can open the playbook with some confidence...the Bison win. If not...the Jackrabbits will pull off a win in Fargo.

ValleyChamp
November 16th, 2008, 08:47 PM
There was a whole bunch of Christmas's for Bison opponents this year.xlolx

CaBisonFan
November 16th, 2008, 08:58 PM

If this were to happen for the future, we would rediscover consistency...and take advantage of the talent that we recruit.

A hybrid of the veer could be developed to include a little more passing. The veer is considered a dinosaur. I say 'not.'

The horizontal West Coast demands a very, very skilled and special kind of QB. They are rare at this level.

With the veer, you find the best athlete and put him at QB. You control the ball until the D is on its knees. We won a few games that way once upon a time.

CaBisonFan
November 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Roehl has something extra in this game (he fumbled to give away the game last year) but I still think the Jacks come out on top. I'll say:

Jacks 34
Bison 28

We were in the giving spirit all around last year...but the Rabbits earned the win. We have a rivalry with some class. Should be another great game.

BisonBacker
November 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
If this were to happen for the future, we would rediscover consistency...and take advantage of the talent that we recruit.

A hybrid of the veer could be developed to include a little more passing. The veer is considered a dinosaur. I say 'not.'

The horizontal West Coast demands a very, very skilled and special kind of QB. They are rare at this level.

With the veer, you find the best athlete and put him at QB. You control the ball until the D is on its knees. We won a few games that way once upon a time.

Trying to run the Veer at this level is even harder. Problem is that the players on the other side of the ball are that much faster. To run the veer effectively you need to be able to get around the corners and with the speed the defensive players have at this level they just stretch the field out and run down most veer offenses. It would be interesting to hear what the GSU fans have to say about it at this level. They ran it with great success just as NDSU did but I think the speed caught up with them. GSU fans what say you????

JBB
November 17th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I can tell you right now, its not that tough a game to call. Its simple really. NDSU establishes its running game and uses its #1 pass defense to shut down Berry and the Jacks through the air. Do that and its a win for the BISON.

I dont think the Rabbits have it what it takes to win in Fargo.

Jacks99
November 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
SDSU gets the monkey off their back and wins hard fought game, but more comfortably than the last two wins at home vs. NDSU

Gil Dobie
November 17th, 2008, 08:46 PM
SDSU gets the monkey off their back and wins hard fought game, but more comfortably than the last two wins at home vs. NDSU

It does make me nervous that the Jacks fans are more confident than the Bison fans. :)

JBB
November 18th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Another factor to consider the poor SDSU pass defense. Saturday will be the day for Mertens and company to pass for over 200 yds.

THE HERD
November 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
There was a whole bunch of Christmas's for Bison opponents this year.xlolx

Hey ValleyChamp,

Apparently you havent taken a close look at our season. Of our four losses we had a chance to win three of them at the end. We dominated FBS Wyoming in the first half only to give it away in the second half with TO's and three crucial dropped passes that would have put us in scoring position. The YSU game the defense was riddled with injuries our QB turned the ball over three or four times and we still had a chance to win that game! We were inside YSU's five yard line I believe when Mertens threw another INT. The W.Ill game was won if not for a blocked punt at the end of the game. UNI is the only team to beat us soundly and that was only by ten points with us turning the ball over what four times? I think all the Bison fans should look at this too, in that if just get a little better play at QB and I mean just a smidge better play at QB we would be in second place in the MVC easily even with all the injuries we have!!xnodx

ToTheLeft
November 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
If someone else puts up a post about Liberty getting blown out by Presbyterian, I am going to kick a puppy. We lost by 3 you freaking morons.

THE HERD
November 19th, 2008, 04:30 PM
All of the above are not excuses, in that I know these things can happen through the course of a season, but if just a few things bounced the other way this season would have taken on a totally different look, even with the very subpar performance from our QB. What that tells me is NDSU has an ass load of talent to make up for all the turnovers and shortcominings from the QB position. By the way I haven't totally given up on Mertens....we'll see if he can win the job next year and how he does the first one or two games...if he starts, then I will decide if he is truely as bad as he has looked this year. Its mainly just his turnovers, otherwise his stats are pretty decent.

UNIFanSince1983
November 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM
The difference is you lost those games. We had five turnovers (one was a fumble by our All-American running back at the 1) and lost to SIU. If the bounce had gone differently we would be undefeated in the MVC for the 6th time. It didn't we lost. I've dealt with that. You need to deal with the fact that you lost 4 times this year so far, and probably won't be sniffing the playoff field.

With all that being said I think NDSU beats SDSU pretty soundly in the FargoDome mainly because SDSU has proven they cannot play away from CAS.

Big Al
November 19th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Man, I'd ask what some of these Bison fans are smoking but I think Johnny Gray probably sold it to 'em.

Gil Dobie
November 19th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Man, I'd ask what some of these Bison fans are smoking but I think Johnny Gray probably sold it to 'em.

What are you talking about? A Jack fan predicted 63-0. Most Bison fans are happy with a win.

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2008, 05:01 PM
This is probably the best chance to win in Fargo in years (like 40?)

It'll be a WHALEof a game! xsmiley_wix

Just needed to get that Bohlism out! :D xrolleyesx xlolx

Gil Dobie
November 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
This is probably the best chance to win in Fargo in years (like 40?)

It'll be a WHALEof a game! xsmiley_wix

Just needed to get that Bohlism out! :D xrolleyesx xlolx

Is there such a thing as a Stiegism. xeyebrowx ;)

petethepenguin15
November 19th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I have been waiting all year for this game. My guess is that the Jacks will barely win but it'll be a good game. I give the bison a fair chance of winning this game but they will have to bring all they got.

Big Al
November 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
What are you talking about? A Jack fan predicted 63-0. Most Bison fans are happy with a win.

I'm just referring to the fact that several fans seem to think a)you somehow are still in the running for a seed, much less a spot in the playoffs and b)everyone else is clearly incapable of acknowledging how those 4 losses were just flukes and the Bison are kings of the MVFC.

Just a little friendly smack from a rival fan. ; D

Honestly, I don't think the xDSU game will be a nail-biter but neither will it be a blowout. The Bunnies will have the game decided by the end of the 3rd.

JBB
November 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
A guess is a guess, but watch NDSU. Im thinking at least 200 yds passing.

This game is for the Marker. The Marker crowns the Best Football team in the Dakotas. It is the Dakota Football Championship.

NDSU has the nations best passing defense. We have played well against all our opponents, giving the nod to UNI, but even against them we were still in the game late into the fourth quarter. The BISON beat SIU and SDSU lost, both close games. The BISON are at home.

Thats why this game promises to be such a great football game and thats why it wont be decided until the final gun.

Gil Dobie
November 19th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Any AGS Bunnies coming up for the game?

Houndawg
November 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM

This game is for the Marker. The Marker crowns the Best Football team in the Dakotas. It is the Dakota Football Championship.

NDSU has the nations best passing defense. We have played well against all our opponents, giving the nod to UNI, but even against them we were still in the game late into the fourth quarter. The BISON beat SIU and SDSU lost, both close games. The BISON are at home.

Thats why this game promises to be such a great football game and thats why it wont be decided until the final gun.

xnonox The Salukis beat SIU.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM
xnonox The Salukis beat SIU.

Actually, NDSU beat themselves in the 1st half and SIU beat themselves in the 2nd half.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2008, 10:02 PM
All of the above are not excuses, in that I know these things can happen through the course of a season, but if just a few things bounced the other way this season would have taken on a totally different look, even with the very subpar performance from our QB. What that tells me is NDSU has an ass load of talent to make up for all the turnovers and shortcominings from the QB position. By the way I haven't totally given up on Mertens....we'll see if he can win the job next year and how he does the first one or two games...if he starts, then I will decide if he is truely as bad as he has looked this year. Its mainly just his turnovers, otherwise his stats are pretty decent.

Every season there are about 50 teams saying the same things you are.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Actually, NDSU beat themselves in the 1st half and SIU beat themselves in the 2nd half.

I know. I'm just using some Bisonlogic:

Nobody beats us but ourselves. When we win it's all our fault, too.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I know. I'm just using some Bisonlogic:

Nobody beats us but ourselves. When we win it's all our fault, too.

Ok, but don't forget the refs have also been known to beat us as well, I swear whenever we lose those guys are always out to get us. xsmiley_wix

JBB
November 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Nobody knows how a game is going to unfold. NDSU beat SIU. The big factors were containing Warner. Mertens threw for 195 yds and no INTs. SDSU was driving for the winning when Berry threw the game loser.

The BISON also rushed for just under 200 yds on SIU.

Both games were good, but NDSU beat SIU. I dont think the Jacks are as good as SIU myself.

FargoBison
November 20th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I agree JBB, this game could go either way. Both teams have a chip on their shoulder and I'm sure both have thoughts of what could have been this season.

This is the last shot for both to get that one accomplishment to hang their hat on, no marker to go along with no playoffs will make it a very long season for the loser.

Houndawg
November 20th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Ok, but don't forget the refs have also been known to beat us as well, I swear whenever we lose those guys are always out to get us. xsmiley_wix

:D

Houndawg
November 20th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Nobody knows how a game is going to unfold. NDSU beat SIU. The big factors were containing Warner. Mertens threw for 195 yds and no INTs. SDSU was driving for the winning when Berry threw the game loser.

The BISON also rushed for just under 200 yds on SIU.

Both games were good, but NDSU beat SIU. I dont think the Jacks are as good as SIU myself.

The Jacks were going against our full package defense, so I think they had it a little harder, even though both teams scored 35 (if you count the blown fumble call the play before the Bison's first score). A game like this is hard to pick against the home team.

Cap'n Cat
November 20th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Jacks win handily. Both teams hit the weights in the offseason and prepare better for the big leagues, especially now-humbled NDSU.

Jacks 30
Herd 11

Houndawg
November 20th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Jacks win handily. Both teams hit the weights in the offseason and prepare better for the big leagues, especially now-humbled NDSU.

Jacks 30
Herd 11

Aren't you the uNI fan who said Jacks roll the Dawgs by two TDs?xwhistlex

Drblankstare
November 20th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Aren't you the uNI fan who said Jacks roll the Dawgs by two TDs?xwhistlex

xnodx

UNIFanSince1983
November 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
You have to realize that fans on here pick who they want to win not who will actually win. There were a ton of fans picking WIU over UNI we know how that turned out. UNI fans (except me) were picking SDSU over SIU and we know how that turned out. Fans want to see SDSU win, but they fail to realize the Jacks cannot win away from CAS. It will be a good game, but the Bison win by probably 10 points.

Houndawg
November 20th, 2008, 01:43 PM
You have to realize that fans on here pick who they want to win not who will actually win. There were a ton of fans picking WIU over UNI we know how that turned out. UNI fans (except me) were picking SDSU over SIU and we know how that turned out. Fans want to see SDSU win, but they fail to realize the Jacks cannot win away from CAS. It will be a good game, but the Bison win by probably 10 points.

I understand that......but, two TDs? No respect, I tell ya we don't get no respect.

JBB
November 20th, 2008, 05:45 PM
The "now-humbled" NDSU is going to have a tremendous home field advantage. Besides that intangible I think Tyler Roehls motivation is another that has to be figured in. Last season he wasnt 100% and SDSUs great back Koehing (SP) had the kind of day BISON fans were hoping Roehl might have. He broke our back in the 4th qtr with a 45 yd TD run from scrimmage. He was impressive. Tyler is 100% and is probably thinking about that.

89rabbit
November 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Lets go Rabbits! Making my first trip to the Fargo Dome.

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/markerSAT6.jpg

bisonwest
November 21st, 2008, 06:37 PM
It's a hard one to call. If the Bison can put a full four quarters together I think we win. We cannot aford to take a half off and pull this one out like we did against the Salukis. Mertens will need to be efective enough to loosen up the Jacks D. If he struggles like he did against UNI, and WIU it's going to be tough. I have a feeling that the Herd will play their best game of the season. Though this very well may be the year the Jackrabbits finally end their 46 year winless streak in Fargo. I think the(still) Mighty Bison will pull it out in hard fought game.

BISON - 27

JACKS - 24

GO BISON!

jackmd
November 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM
This game is really hard to call. The Jackrabbit players, especially Berry, were really down after the heartbreaking loss to SIU. We didn't bounce back very well from the crushing loss to McNeese getting spanked at home by a good Cal-Poly team. We didn't play well on the road against Iowa St., UNI, or SFA (other than the last 8 minutes) and our history in Fargo is not good, to say the least.

Then, you look at our balance on offense, sometimes very solid run defense and good pass rush and add in NDSU's questionable pass game and inability to put together 4 solid quarters and I think we have a great chance to win. Then, I think back to last year when NDSU was expecting to strut into CAS and finish us off. On paper it looked like that would probably happen. We all know the result of that.

So, I don't know who is going to win this thing. I think its going to be close. I don't think either team will win by more than 7 and if they do it will be the last score of the game that pushes it over 7. We gotta start fast, we can't dig a hole like we did against SIU. The NDSU players aren't going to give up the early lead if they get it. We gotta establish some run, like we did against SIU, and then beat the Bison with the pass. Our D-line needs to take on their O-line and the LB's and DB's gotta pop Roehl high and tackle him low. Mertens needs to play like a freshman.

It's probably going to come down to field position, special teams, and turnovers. Penalties KILLED US against SIU, if we shoot ourselves in the foot NDSU is going to pounce.

SDSU 31
NDSU 28

mango43
November 21st, 2008, 10:43 PM

The Bison also had SIU at home while SDSU had the Salukis on the road and didn't play well, committing stupid penalties, and had a chance to still win the game. Not trying to take anything away from the Salukis as they are a very good football team, they flat out beat us. There is a difference though, the Jacks were on the road, where SIU hasn't lost in 2 years, while the Bison were at home.

Houndawg
November 22nd, 2008, 06:53 AM
The Bison also had SIU at home while SDSU had the Salukis on the road and didn't play well, committing stupid penalties, and had a chance to still win the game. Not trying to take anything away from the Salukis as they are a very good football team, they flat out beat us. There is a difference though, the Jacks were on the road, where SIU hasn't lost in 2 years, while the Bison were at home.

It was NDSU's homecoming, too. And SIU was pretty restricted in what they had to work with by their new system. I think SDSU is better overall, but NDSU has the incentive.

nmatsen
November 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
xnodx

No, that was me. Sorry about that. I was told by so many on this board that SDSU was SOOOO much better than when they played us. They had all of their players healthy and were on some great win streakxsmiley_wix

Knowing how poor SIU was when we played them and how big of an egg we layed, I felt that it was only obvious that SDSU would roll by 14. Apparently, one of two things happened, SDSU fans pumped their team up WAY too much, or SDSU and NDSU have found that they are not in the Great West anymore and the conference title every game goes through Carbondale or Cedar Falls.

All kidding aside, I hope SDSU flops this week (don't know if they will but I want them to) so we have 5 of our 9 conference teams with a 5-3 conference mark or better. That looks better for our conference.

I can't wait to play the Dogs in the dome in the quarters.

Houndawg
November 22nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
No, that was me. Sorry about that. I was told by so many on this board that SDSU was SOOOO much better than when they played us. They had all of their players healthy and were on some great win streakxsmiley_wix

Knowing how poor SIU was when we played them and how big of an egg we layed, I felt that it was only obvious that SDSU would roll by 14. Apparently, one of two things happened, SDSU fans pumped their team up WAY too much, or SDSU and NDSU have found that they are not in the Great West anymore and the conference title every game goes through Carbondale or Cedar Falls.

All kidding aside, I hope SDSU flops this week (don't know if they will but I want them to) so we have 5 of our 9 conference teams with a 5-3 conference mark or better. That looks better for our conference.

I can't wait to play the Dogs in the dome in the quarters.

If we make it you won't recognize us.xnodx

Gil Dobie
November 22nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Lets go Rabbits! Making my first trip to the Fargo Dome.

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/markerSAT6.jpg

Hope you enjoy the experience, I'm heading out in about 45 minutes.

I know you will if the Jacks win, but hopefully you will enjoy anyhow.

RabidRabbit
November 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Jacks and Bison have had good exciting games for the last 4 years, and this one won't be any different.

Best of luck (ESPECIALLY RABBITS xsmiley_wix )

Drinks brews/tailgate in Fargo!

To all interested watchers in Atlanta, GA, come to

www.famouspubsports.com

For the game on the big screen, and Jackrabbit Brats/Bison Burgers to bite into with your Dakota connected football buds. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Jacks 42,
Bison 28

SD4ever
November 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
Bison 31

Bunnies 21

mango43
November 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
SDSU 28

NDSU 24

petethepenguin15
November 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Great game way to go Bunnies!!

JackTwice
November 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM

I know I am new to the MVFC but how does having 5 teams with 5-3 records make the conference look better? It could just mean we have a bunch of mediocre teams who can't win on the road in the conference.

It would seem to me that having 5 teams with 2-0 OOC FCS records would go much longer to making the conference look better.

JackJD
November 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
The final score was:
SDSU 25, NDSU 24
SDSU Quarterback Ryan Berry diagnosed with a mild concussion in the first quarter, missed much of the first and second halves. Backup QB appears to have sustained a broken wrist and Berry came back into the game. It was a great finish. SDSU scored to make it NDSU 24, SDSU 23 ... and then went for two and got it for the win.

Gil Dobie
November 23rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
The final score was:
SDSU 25, NDSU 24
SDSU Quarterback Ryan Berry diagnosed with a mild concussion in the first quarter, missed much of the first and second halves. Backup QB appears to have sustained a broken wrist and Berry came back into the game. It was a great finish. SDSU scored to make it NDSU 24, SDSU 23 ... and then went for two and got it for the win.

Great game, congrats Jack fans.

Good showing by the Blue and Yellow fans at the Fargodome. xthumbsupx

igo4uni
November 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
I know I am new to the MVFC but how does having 5 teams with 5-3 records make the conference look better? It could just mean we have a bunch of mediocre teams who can't win on the road in the conference.

It would seem to me that having 5 teams with 2-0 OOC FCS records would go much longer to making the conference look better.

the conference is very tough.

back2back
November 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Bison Fans,

Who did you guys get in the playoffs? After last season I was kind of shaking that my Mountaineers might have you in our bracket. Good luck with who ever you play.

Yosef

Gil Dobie
November 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Bison Fans,

Who did you guys get in the playoffs? After last season I was kind of shaking that my Mountaineers might have you in our bracket. Good luck with who ever you play.

Yosef

It's easy to grin when you ship comes in

http://blog.rifftrax.com/wp-content/photos/ted_knight.jpg