PDA

View Full Version : Who are the top 4 seeds?

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I believe there are probably 7 teams with a decent argument for getting a top 4 seed.

Mine right now would be:
1. New Hampshire (This one is almost a given if they win next week)
2. Appalachian St. (Yes they have 3 losses but 2 are 1A losses)
3. Montana
4. Hampton (I don't know about this one, but I have to believe they will get a seed)

The next 3 in no particular order: Texas St., Furman, and Georgia Southern.

Thoughts?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Is it true they are seeding 8 teams this year?

I keep hearing about it but don't know if it's true.

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I believe it was proposed but the NCAA has not approved it yet. Just 4 seeds this year.

yosefcity
November 13th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Those are my exact 4 seeds too. Way to go GSU Eagle.

lugo02
November 13th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I believe there are probably 7 teams with a decent argument for getting a top 4 seed.

Mine right now would be:
3. Montana
4. Hampton (I don't know about this one, but I have to believe they will get a seed)

Thoughts?

Why would a team that might barely get 7 D-I wins be considered for a seed, with 2 D-II wins on their schedule. I say Texas State would be fortunate to get in, much less being considered for a seed. Texas State should be behind Furman, GSU et. al and yes behind Lehigh too.

yosefcity
November 13th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Bracket Side 1
YSU
#1 UNH (A10)

UMASS
Lehigh (Patriot)

Texas State (Southland)
GSU

Northern Iowa (Gateway)
#4 Hampton (MEAC)

Bracket Side 2
Cal Poly
#3 Montana (BigSky)

SIU
Eastern Illinois (Ohio Valley)

Coastal Carolina
Furman

Richmond
#2 App State (SoCon)

blackfordpu
November 13th, 2005, 01:34 PM
If Texas State wins out they will be in the playoffs even with the two D-II wins on the schedule. I agree that they are over rated somewhat but they have had a great year.

Once again ycity, you left off Nicholls State in your bracket. I believe they will win out and win the SLC thus an auto-bid to the playoffs.

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Seeds in no particular order...

The general thought is an undefeated Hamption despite not being in the top 10 of the GPI will be seeded as a top four team. They are the only undefeated squad in all of I-AA and despite what is a lower strength of schedule than some percieved "stronger teams", Hampton is going to get the nod and awarded a seed for their season.

New Hampshire at 10-1 would be a top four seed. #1 in most of the rankings and winning the A10 make this the easiest case.

Montana would be a top four seed with a win over Montana St in that annual rivalry game (one of the best in I-AA). Montana St had a tough go this week, so I see Montana having no problems. Losses for Montana were at I-A Oregon and at home against Eastern Washington, a team that should finish top 20 in GPI at the end of the year.

Appalachian State. Ranked 3rd in the GPI. Losses at I-A Kansas and I-A LSU. Other loss is to playoff-bound Furman, who I believe was ranked first or second in the land at that point, 34-31 on the road.

OL FU
November 13th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Mine right now would be:
3. Montana

Thoughts?

The top four look right to me. I think FU has a shot if one of the now top four loses and Furman finishes 9-2. I think with three losses, GSU would be a reach for a seed.

PantherMan
November 13th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Bracket Side 1
YSU
#1 UNH (A10)

UMASS
Lehigh (Patriot)

Texas State (Southland)
GSU

Northern Iowa (Gateway)
#4 Hampton (MEAC)

Bracket Side 2
Cal Poly
#3 Montana (BigSky)

SIU

Coastal Carolina
Furman

Richmond
#2 App State (SoCon)

I think you have a lot of the teams correct. However: EIU will not get a home game, all 3 Gateway teams won't be on the road (actually there is a strong chance that 2 will host), and Cal Poly and Montana will not play in the first round.

nmatsen
November 13th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Bracket Side 1
YSU
#1 UNH (A10)

UMASS
Lehigh (Patriot)

Texas State (Southland)
GSU

Northern Iowa (Gateway)
#4 Hampton (MEAC)

Bracket Side 2
Cal Poly
#3 Montana (BigSky)

SIU

Coastal Carolina
Furman

Richmond
#2 App State (SoCon)

I highly doubt that they would send a Conference Championship team from the GFC (at one time had 5 teams in top 25, maybe still do) on the road to a seeded team first round. Although I firmly believe that we would take any MEAC school behind the wood shed and be back on the plane bound for Cedar Falls before they knew what hit them.

Bobcat94
November 13th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Where's Nicholls State????

I think they go to Montana first round and either Cal Poly or GS comes to San Marcos....

East Ill @ New Hamp

So Ill @ App

Youngstown @ Hampton

Nicholls @ Montana

Lehigh @ Mass

Cal Poly @ Texas State

Northern Ia @ Furman

Coastal @ GS

Mr. C
November 13th, 2005, 04:35 PM

Mine right now would be:
3. Montana

Thoughts?
You are right on the mark with what I've been told the committee is thinking. If all four win on Saturday, I'm about 90 percent certain that this is what the committee will come up with. The committee is very high on New Hampshire and Appalachian State. ASU actually moved up in a lot of the committee members' private rankings last Monday after the showing at LSU, I was told by a very good source. The committee also likes Hampton, even though they have played a weak schedule. They are more influenced by the national polls than you might think.

I don't think Georgia Southern has a prayer of a top-four seed, though I think people might be surprised to see the SoCon get three home games in the first round of the playoffs, just like in 2002. The NCAA likes its dollars and all three SoCon teams draw well. If someone in the top four stumbles, Texas State is probably in line for one of the four seeds.

yosefcity
November 13th, 2005, 04:38 PM
If Nicholls is in than you can send them off to GSU and send Texas State off to Montana. That would throw out Cal Poly. It took alot to take Cal Poly over a Patriot team too.

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I would be very surprised to see GSU as a seed also. We would have to have probably 3 teams above us lose on Saturday to get in the discussion. In my rankings I have GSU as #7. I have ASU as #2 and Furman as #6.

For GSU to sneak in as the #4 seed probably 3 of the following 4 would have to happen:
Appalachian loses to Elon
Furman loses to Chattanooga
Texas St. loses to Sam Houston St.
Montana loses to Montana St.

What are the odds of 3 of the above 4 occurring-- not good at all.

I do believe there is a pretty good chance of us hosting in the 1st round however-- Coastal Carolina if they get in seems a logical opponent in Round 1.

By the way who do you see possible coming to Boone in Round 2-- Furman or GSU?

Mr. C
November 13th, 2005, 05:21 PM
By the way who do you see possible coming to Boone in Round 2-- Furman or GSU?
Just a hunce, but I think Georgia Southern might be in the other side of the bracket with New Hampshire (not playing UNH in the first round, but maybe in the semifinals, if they are both still alive). I think Furman could be headed up to the mountains for the quarterfinals.

FlyYtown
November 13th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I think you have a lot of the teams correct. However: EIU will not get a home game, all 3 Gateway teams won't be on the road (actually there is a strong chance that 2 will host), and Cal Poly and Montana will not play in the first round.

Lets hope its the two teams undefeated at home; then maybe the GFC can get a good run this year; cough YSU and UNI!

GRZZ
November 13th, 2005, 06:01 PM
I guess my "completely unbiassed" opinion is that if Montana wins this weekend, they are # 2 over App State. I guess two losses, one to a high ranked GPI EWU and one to a good 1-A, still comes in over a 3 loss, two to 1-A including the good LSU showing, because a loss is a loss as we have found in the past. Thats my hunch, and I will probably be wrong.

Ronbo
November 13th, 2005, 06:17 PM
If it came down to Montana and anyone else for the #2 I would guess our tradition for going deep into the playoffs and filling the stadium would be an important deciding factor. ESPN loved us and the NCAA took note. A 9-2 vs. an 8-3 would help too. You cannot argue that our schedule was as tough or tougher than App. St. Top 10 Oregon, what are they 9-1? Our only I-AA loss is to an underachieving EWU that might be one of the top teams in I-AA but let down a couple too many times and it cost them, well they were sky high for us. We beat #3 Cal Poly when they had their #1 QB. And the BSC is ranked the 12th best Conference in all of College Football, the SoCon is #17.

We have to beat MSU or all this talk is moot. :nod:

Another point I'll add is the fact that we have a permanent target on our backs. No matter who we play and especially BSC teams, it's their game of the year, the game they circle at the start of the season. Consequently we face teams that are sky high and focused week in and week out. Even Oregon played their starting QB into the early 4th quarter against us. You can ask any Georgia Southern fan what this is all about.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2005, 06:48 PM
App State and Montana are an interesting comparision. The Big Sky and the SoCon are similar conferences in terms of depth this season and results. ASU's loss to Furman is probably better than Montana's loss to underachieving EWU. ASU's loss to LSU was much more competitive than Montana's loss to Oregon and LSU is a much better team than Oregon. Montana doesn't have three losses, but it does have a D-II win over Fort Lewis, so ASU and Montana are equal in terms of I-AA record at 8-1 with wins next weekend. ASU has a higher ranked schedule, with the trip to Kansas giving it two I-A games. Montana is No. 1 in attendance, ASU is a close No. 2 in attendance nationally in I-AA. Montana has the ESPN card. ASU made a huge impression on the committee with the LSU game (you had to be there to know how competitively that the Mountaineers played). These are traditionally two of I-AAs best programs, with Montana having the edge of two rings and four finals appearances. The way I see it, these teams are like 2A and 2B. ASU's former AD is the chairman of the selection committee, don't know if that is a positive or a negative (he was forced out), so he could be the trump card. The hints I was getting this weekend was that ASU is rated slightly (very slightly) ahead of Montana. These two would be fun to see play again in the semifinals, or finals, rematching that great 2000 semifinal in Missoula that went to the Griz in OT.

FlyYtown
November 13th, 2005, 07:38 PM
YSU vs. Alcorn State with Steve McNair was great on ESPN in 1994. Of course we crushed then 63-20 but many thought he had Heisman Potential he was that good. He finished with 514 yards passing on 82 attempts which is just crazy.

ESPN really loved that game and I'd hope they'd choose a top 10 I-AA Stadium like the Ice Castle for a playoff game. Top Notch pressbox and loges and tv boxes on each side of the stadium.

http://www.ysusports.com/department/pictures/stadiumaerial.jpg

Montana will get #2 I think; they always do well at home and in the playoffs.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2005, 07:46 PM
how on Earth did you ever hold them to just 20 points??

Mr. C
November 13th, 2005, 08:05 PM
how on Earth did you ever hold them to just 20 points??
YSU won the title that year and had a great defense. I saw the game on TV in the hotel on the way up for App State-New Hampshire. YSU beat up McNair pretty good that day. The Alcorn State line couldn't handle the Penguins.

FlyYtown
November 13th, 2005, 08:06 PM
6 sacks... and a great Penguin team from top to bottom; not the biggest name star wise; just a great core of excellent players playing from minute 1 to minute 60.

elkmcc
November 13th, 2005, 08:14 PM
http://www.ysusports.com/department/pictures/stadiumaerial.jpg

Montana will get #2 I think; they always do well at home and in the playoffs.

Sweet Stadium. Sweet prediction too. :)

FlyYtown
November 13th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Sweet Stadium. Sweet prediction too. :)
I got a few I took of the sides of it yesterday..Thanks 2!

http://mc878.photosite.com/~photos/tn/132_348.ts1129014168000.jpg--http://mc878.photosite.com/~photos/tn/147_348.ts1131933103167.jpg
http://mc878.photosite.com/~photos/tn/148_348.ts1131933110104.jpg--http://mc878.photosite.com/~photos/tn/149_348.ts1131933116511.jpg
And a bad shot of the great Youngstown Fans!
http://mc878.photosite.com/~photos/tn/133_348.ts1129017034000.jpg

MR. CHICKEN
November 13th, 2005, 08:52 PM
YSU won the title that year and had a great defense. I saw the game on TV in the hotel on the way up for App State-New Hampshire. YSU beat up McNair pretty good that day. The Alcorn State line couldn't handle the Penguins.

MCNAIR WAS INJURED EARLY....LIMPED UH ROUND...LIKE UH OL' LADY...WHIFF UH HANDICAPPED PASS!..................BAWK!

Mr. C
November 13th, 2005, 09:59 PM
He was a warrior even then. What a gutsy performance McNair had, even in defeat.

ASU Kep
November 13th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Heisman? Could a I-AA player even be eligible to win the Heisman? I always thought not. Not that it would ever happen, but I'm interested in whether I-AA's are eligible.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2005, 10:19 PM
McNair was top-10 for the Heisman in 1994, I believe. There was quite an argument about it at the time, whether a I-AA player should be eligible. I even wrote a column at that time about it. I remember some real dumb comments (quite offensive, actually) by Keith Jackson trashing McNair. I wonder what Mr. Whoa Nellie thinks of McNair now?

Incidently, I wrote a column in 1996 promoting Dexter Coakley for the Heisman (slightly tongue in cheek) at the beginning of the season. Coakley was the Buchanan Award winner the year before and, of course, won his second Buchanan later that year.

fuEMO
November 13th, 2005, 10:29 PM
App State and Montana are an interesting comparision. The Big Sky and the SoCon are similar conferences in terms of depth this season and results. ASU's loss to Furman is probably better than Montana's loss to underachieving EWU. ASU's loss to LSU was much more competitive than Montana's loss to Oregon and LSU is a much better team than Oregon. Montana doesn't have three losses, but it does have a D-II win over Fort Lewis, so ASU and Montana are equal in terms of I-AA record at 8-1 with wins next weekend. ASU has a higher ranked schedule, with the trip to Kansas giving it two I-A games. Montana is No. 1 in attendance, ASU is a close No. 2 in attendance nationally in I-AA. Montana has the ESPN card. ASU made a huge impression on the committee with the LSU game (you had to be there to know how competitively that the Mountaineers played). These are traditionally two of I-AAs best programs, with Montana having the edge of two rings and four finals appearances. The way I see it, these teams are like 2A and 2B. ASU's former AD is the chairman of the selection committee, don't know if that is a positive or a negative (he was forced out), so he could be the trump card. The hints I was getting this weekend was that ASU is rated slightly (very slightly) ahead of Montana. These two would be fun to see play again in the semifinals, or finals, rematching that great 2000 semifinal in Missoula that went to the Griz in OT.

I love that line Mr C, ASU loss is probably better than Montana's loss to Eastern. Why is it so hard to give Furman a little credit. I still have a hard time believing APP deserves the seed over Furman. Maybe your inside info is right, but for some funny reason Furman believes it has a shot too. Furman takes care of business this weekend, then lets see what happens to that seed.

Proud Griz Man
November 13th, 2005, 10:43 PM

Montana has to beat MSU first and foremost. It is too bad that Eastern Washington is viewed as underachieving. I don't fully agree because EWU lost to 1-A San Jose State and Cal Poly SLO on the road. But, I agree with your "2A and 2B" comment Mr. C. Appy State is a great program and MT is what it is. Of course, we all know your personal love for ASU comes through in your comments. But anyways, thanks for the info.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2005, 11:59 PM
I love that line Mr C, ASU loss is probably better than Montana's loss to Eastern. Why is it so hard to give Furman a little credit. I still have a hard time believing APP deserves the seed over Furman. Maybe your inside info is right, but for some funny reason Furman believes it has a shot too. Furman takes care of business this weekend, then lets see what happens to that seed.
I thought I was giving Furman credit by saying a loss to the Paladins counts for more than a loss to EWU. The fact that App beat Furman for the SoCon title trumps the fact that Furman won a close game over the Mountaineers. If the head-to-head was the only factor, you could make a case for Georgia Southern getting a seed over Furman (not happening), or Western Carolina making the playoffs instead of the Paladins. Besides the SoCon title (that almost always earns a team a top-four seed, look it up), ASU also has an advantage over Furman in strength of schedule. Sorry, but no seed for the Paladins.

November 14th, 2005, 12:52 AM
... Sorry, but no seed for the Paladins.How can Furman get a seed if they don't win the autobid in their own conference? Look at last year:
#2 Furman
#4 Georgia Southern

Kill'em
November 14th, 2005, 02:05 AM
We didn't deserve it.

elkmcc
November 14th, 2005, 10:25 AM

I had a chance to catch the Furman game on CSTV Saturday morning. What a bunch of bruisers. They look like a different system entirely than when the played the Griz in 2001. It will be interesting to see if they have to come up to Missoula this year.

November 14th, 2005, 02:11 PM
1. New Hampshire (41)
2. Montana (1)
3. Appalachian State (2)
4. Hampton (3)

OL FU
November 14th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I thought I was giving Furman credit by saying a loss to the Paladins counts for more than a loss to EWU. The fact that App beat Furman for the SoCon title trumps the fact that Furman won a close game over the Mountaineers. If the head-to-head was the only factor, you could make a case for Georgia Southern getting a seed over Furman (not happening), or Western Carolina making the playoffs instead of the Paladins. Besides the SoCon title (that almost always earns a team a top-four seed, look it up), ASU also has an advantage over Furman in strength of schedule. Sorry, but no seed for the Paladins.

I am not sure how much the SOS counts when you include two teams with no shot of winning but that aside. I think ASU has the seed advantage. FU has a shot if some teams ahead of them lose.

and yes I thought your were giving FU some credit also.

OL FU
November 14th, 2005, 03:05 PM
I had a chance to catch the Furman game on CSTV Saturday morning. What a bunch of bruisers. They look like a different system entirely than when the played the Griz in 2001. It will be interesting to see if they have to come up to Missoula this year.

I admit I have a big gap in my FU knowledge. Work and constantly being on the road took a big chunk out of the 90's and did not start back until 2001. But yes, my memory of FU is that we were always the little guys trying to out wit or out finess the big guys. That is not the case anymore.

fuEMO
November 14th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Mr C sometimes I know too much, and I get sensitive to comments, especially from APP fans. I just took it as a back handed compiment from the only 1AA team to beat you. My bad, Mr C.

Elkmcc,
Furman was very undersized against the Griz in 01. Since 99 Furman has made it a priority to recruit speed. This is mainly due to GSU. They will run your ass off if you don't take away that pitch. On defense you can now expect fast, aggressive linebackers and big hitting, linebacker sized safeties. What's hurting Furman this year is attrition on the defensive front and corners.
On offense Furman will always have a speed tailback, a big tailback and a bruiser fullback. BL also likes tall receivers, this years redshirt class includes a 6-3 and 6-1 at wide receiver and two 6-5 tightends.

SoCon48
November 14th, 2005, 04:20 PM
and I get sensitive to comments, especially from APP fans. s.

Then, gosh, you ought to be an App fan on the receiving end of Furman slams. On here occasionally but going on the Furman message board and being an App fan is horrendous. Not just replies to posts but all the goon, hillbilly, Appie, Crappy, etc stuff that goes on on there. We get constantly reminded that we are in the backwoods, have a horrible record vs Furman over the years, missed the last couple play-offs, never appeared in a title game, and have no National Championships....all in a slamming manner.

OL FU
November 14th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Then, gosh, you ought to be an App fan on the receiving end of Furman slams. On here occasionally but going on the Furman message board and being an App fan is horrendous. Not just replies to posts but all the goon, hillbilly, Appie, Crappy, etc stuff that goes on on there. We get constantly reminded that we are in the backwoods, have a horrible record vs Furman over the years, missed the last couple play-offs, never appeared in a title game, and have no National Championships....all in a slamming manner.

But this is not the UFFP :)

November 14th, 2005, 04:23 PM
... We get constantly reminded that we are in the backwoods, have a horrible record vs Furman over the years, missed the last couple play-offs, never appeared in a title game, and have no National Championships....all in a slamming manner.Oh yeah, forgot about all that. App does have a horrible record vs Furman over the years, missed the last couple play-offs, never appeared in a title game and have no National Championships. Isn't Jackson State the only I-AA team to appear in as many years of the playoffs but never won the title? They never appeared in a Champ game either, right? ;) :p :p :D

OL FU
November 14th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about all that. App does have a horrible record vs Furman over the years, missed the last couple play-offs, never appeared in a title game and have no National Championships. Isn't Jackson State the only I-AA team to appear in as many years of the playoffs but never won the title? They never appeared in a Champ game either, right? ;) :p :p :D

Jump on in Ralph, that water is fine :D

SoCon48
November 14th, 2005, 04:30 PM

I'd like to share your confidence in the SoCon getting a top four seed this year, but seeing as how the committee has viewed us of late, I'm not sure.
We only got one team in in '03 and two in for '04, I take it as a reflection on their view of the SoCon's strength declining. Thus they may view our intra-conference wins as not being as indicative as they once were. ??

fuEMO
November 14th, 2005, 04:32 PM

1AA 2005, I have many friends who are APP grads. I have been a poster on theUFFP since the beginning and the regulars have nothing but respect for APP. Now, we all think you guys cook up some strong magic against the Paladins when we play at the ROCK. But Furman won the matchup this season, and if you went by many of the APP posts Furman only won because we TIPPED a field goal. That does not do justice to the great game I witnessed. APP could have won but they didn't their vastly improved defense could not stop Furman when it counted. And APPs offense didn't have time to see if they could do the same. I hope we can meet again, my choice would be in Nooga.

fuEMO
November 14th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about all that. App does have a horrible record vs Furman over the years, missed the last couple play-offs, never appeared in a title game and have no National Championships. Isn't Jackson State the only I-AA team to appear in as many years of the playoffs but never won the title? They never appeared in a Champ game either, right? ;) :p :p :D

But Ralph, remember they are the #1 program in the Carolina's :D

SoCon48
November 14th, 2005, 04:51 PM

A case could be made for the fact that we went in several times as a bubble team and even as third place in our own conference. Sure we've blown some chances, but:
In '87, in our second appearance in the play-offs, we lost to a fellow confernce member in the semis, after beating them once prior during the season.
The next four play-offs years we were in, we played all 5 games on the road. Were we supposed to win the National Championship those years? Ranked 17th and 16th in 4 of the 5 games. In '94, a 17th we were sent up against the 3rd ranked team, Boise State, in Boise. We lost by a FG.
In '91 we were ranked 17th and played at 2nd ranked EKU.
Then of course there was the year we finished 3rd in our confernce and thus earned 3 straight road trips to Troy State, WKU, and Montana. We were 14th facing a 3, 7, and a #1. Lost the game at #1 Montana by 3 in OT. Montana was beaten by our fellow conf member GSU.

I make no apologies for ASU's performance in the play-offs.

November 14th, 2005, 04:54 PM
...I make no apologies for ASU's performance in the play-offs. :lmao: :lmao:

SoCon48
November 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM
But Ralph, remember they are the #1 program in the Carolina's :D
Problem is we're not the number one program in the Carolinas and Georgia.
I'd say we proved we were better than Furman 3 of the last 4 years. Oh, that's right, all three of the wins were flukes.

SoCon48
November 14th, 2005, 04:56 PM
But this is not the UFFP :)

As I said..including this board.

PAllen
November 14th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Bracket Side 1
YSU
#1 UNH (A10)

UMASS
Lehigh (Patriot)

Texas State (Southland)
GSU

Northern Iowa (Gateway)
#4 Hampton (MEAC)

Bracket Side 2
Cal Poly
#3 Montana (BigSky)

SIU

Coastal Carolina
Furman

Richmond
#2 App State (SoCon)

Switch Richmond and UNI and think you've got it about right (assuming you've got the right teams in, and good luck picking the right ones this year).

OL FU
November 14th, 2005, 05:10 PM
As I said..including this board.

but only in retaliation ;)

SoCon48
November 14th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Switch Richmond and UNI and think you've got it about right (assuming you've got the right teams in, and good luck picking the right ones this year).

Richmond against App would make 3 sraight times ASU had to face an A-10 team in the first round. Bill & Mary and Maine previously.

SoCon48
November 14th, 2005, 07:05 PM
but only in retaliation ;)

sometimes, sometimes not depending on the poster :nod:

fuEMO
November 14th, 2005, 08:49 PM
I'd say we proved we were better than Furman 3 of the last 4 years. Oh, that's right, all three of the wins were flukes.

I was just trying to be funny. I could care less what a North Carolina reporter thinks. APP has put many great teams on the field in the last twenty years so has Furman. Being a Furman fan is kinda like being an Atlanta Braves fan, we've had all those SoCon championships and trips to the finals and semi-finals and have one championship to show for it. So I'm not going to throw anymore stones at this. Furman controlled its own destiny, they win at GSU and were not having this conversation. period.

SoCon48
November 14th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I was just trying to be funny. I could care less what a North Carolina reporter thinks. APP has put many great teams on the field in the last twenty years so has Furman. Being a Furman fan is kinda like being an Atlanta Braves fan, we've had all those SoCon championships and trips to the finals and semi-finals and have one championship to show for it. So I'm not going to throw anymore stones at this. Furman controlled its own destiny, they win at GSU and were not having this conversation. period.

I know what you mean. But actually it wasn't a reporter exactly, it was a survey based on certain criteria. The criteria could be challenged easier than the results.

skinny_uncle
November 14th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Bracket Side 1
YSU
#1 UNH (A10)

UMASS
Lehigh (Patriot)

Texas State (Southland)
GSU

Northern Iowa (Gateway)
#4 Hampton (MEAC)

Bracket Side 2
Cal Poly
#3 Montana (BigSky)

SIU

Coastal Carolina
Furman

Richmond
#2 App State (SoCon)

Geographically, your bracket makes too much sense. Are you sure the committee is that smart?
:eek:

bcrawf
November 14th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Ther is no way all 3 Gateway teams go on the road!!

FU97
November 15th, 2005, 04:29 PM

They were as flukey as this year's Furman win.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2005, 04:48 PM
No they were all close games, due to two excellent teams playing great football and making plays when they had too.

Furman made the plays this year. Hopefully we'll get to see these two on the field again this year (in Boone).

kats89
November 15th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Where's Nicholls State????

I think they go to Montana first round and either Cal Poly or GS comes to San Marcos....

East Ill @ New Hamp

So Ill @ App

Youngstown @ Hampton

Nicholls @ Montana

Lehigh @ Mass

Cal Poly @ Texas State

Northern Ia @ Furman

Coastal @ GS

TSU IS NOT GONNA OUTBID GA SOUTHERN FOR A HOME PLAYOFF GAME. I CAN BET YOU THAT!!!!

As far as Nicholls St, if they win out and do gain the auto-bid, (by virtue of beating TSU head to head), they are a team that could pull an upset or two. They are playing some great football right now and have the triple option geared up and running.

McNeese75
November 15th, 2005, 10:28 PM
TSU IS NOT GONNA OUTBID GA SOUTHERN FOR A HOME PLAYOFF GAME. I CAN BET YOU THAT!!!!

As far as Nicholls St, if they win out and do gain the auto-bid, (by virtue of beating TSU head to head), they are a team that could pull an upset or two. They are playing some great football right now and have the triple option geared up and running.

Unless they draw a Soco team that sees the option several times a year.

Chi Panther
November 15th, 2005, 11:46 PM
EIU at UNI ......the committee has paired these teams 2 times in the last 8 years......will they have a change of heart???? :confused: