PDA

View Full Version : 108th Brawl of the Wild- Montana vs Montana State Thread

gbhmt
November 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Week 12 is gone, the week we've all been waiting for is finally here. Let's try to keep it out of the smack forum.

The Griz had a forgettable win over the Bengals while the Cats get a memorable performance from Crawford. How's next Saturday's game gonna look?

CatFan22
November 15th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Cats pull off the upset. :) I think Crawford has a good game and Desin shows up to play. We are riding some excellent O-line play and great performances overall, and I think it continues next week. Should be fun!

Prediction:
24-21 Cats

Peems
November 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Week 12 is gone, the week we've all been waiting for is finally here. Let's try to keep it out of the smack forum.

The Griz had a forgettable win over the Bengals while the Cats get a memorable performance from Crawford. How's next Saturday's game gonna look?

Why would we want to do that?

appfan2008
November 15th, 2008, 05:58 PM
is the game at um or msu?

gbhmt
November 15th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Why would we want to do that?

Cause then nobody will post in it.

And no, Cats did not pull off an upset. Pretty evenly matched teams. Although hats off to Desin.

gbhmt
November 15th, 2008, 05:59 PM
is the game at um or msu?

UM

CatFan22
November 15th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Cause then nobody will post in it.

And no, Cats did not pull off an upset. Pretty evenly matched teams. Although hats off to Desin.

I was referring to this game as the upset.

gbhmt
November 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I was referring to this game as the upset.

Ohhhhh okay it makes sense nowxthumbsupx

Tod
November 15th, 2008, 06:07 PM
If the 'Cats win (xrolleyesx :D ) they will be 8-4 with 7 D-I wins. Any chance for the playoffs finishing the season with a win over a top five, #3 GPI Montana?

gbhmt
November 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM
If the 'Cats win (xrolleyesx :D ) they will be 8-4 with 7 D-I wins. Any chance for the playoffs finishing the season with a win over a top five, #3 GPI Montana?

They could very well sneak in. But it's not gonna come easy.

CatFan22
November 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM

I thought SD didn't count as a DI win?

grizband
November 15th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Below is Montana State's schedule, with results, through this week. The teams in bold count as DI wins; this shows that even if the Cats beat Montana, they cannot meet accumulate 7DI wins (South Dakota is a non-counter this year).

Adams State - W
Kansas State - L
Minnesota - L
South Dakota - W
Idaho State - W
Weber State - L
Eastern Washington - L
Sacramento State - W
Northern Colorado - W
Northern Arizona - W
Portland State - W
Montana - ???

Tod
November 15th, 2008, 06:17 PM
My bad, thought they did. I saw a story in the Missoulian (though I didn't read it) about how the 'Cats were playing for playoff consideration. Should have read it.

:o :o :o

Grizaholic17
November 15th, 2008, 06:44 PM
My bad, thought they did. I saw a story in the Missoulian (though I didn't read it) about how the 'Cats were playing for playoff consideration. Should have read it.

:o :o :o

They are. Even SME made the connection.

It's a very long shot though. to say the least. not sure three big sky teams can make it.

Tod
November 15th, 2008, 06:47 PM
They are. Even SME made the connection.

It's a very long shot though. to say the least. not sure three big sky teams can make it.

Ah! Long shot, yes, but impossible, no. Depends on what other bubble teams do, I suppose.

Of course, they won't beat the Griz, so...whatever. :D

Grizaholic17
November 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Ah! Long shot, yes, but impossible, no. Depends on what other bubble teams do, I suppose.

Of course, they won't beat the Griz, so...whatever. :D

Exactly, that incredibly oversized trophy is sticking with us.

Tod
November 15th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Exactly, that incredibly oversized trophy is sticking with us.

Seems to be some confusion about this. I brought it up on a thread about the playoffs, and somebody said USD doesn't count.

Do you have a link to that SME article (or whatever)?

usdfbalum63
November 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I thought SD didn't count as a DI win?

USD is a non-counter this year as a D1 win.

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Go Bobcats!

GOKATS
November 15th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Seems to be some confusion about this. I brought it up on a thread about the playoffs, and somebody said USD doesn't count.

Do you have a link to that SME article (or whatever)?

The USD win by the Cats doesn't count as a DI win, a major FU by our AD in this years scheduling. They're trying to it cover up by saying that if we win the Cat/griz game next week against the griz we still have a chance. If the Cats do beat the griz at wa/griz it will mean the Cats finished the conference season winning 5 conference games in a row including a win against the griz. I'm still not giving the Cats much of a chance to make the playoffs, but ya never know.

catamount man
November 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Next week is gonna be good. Games I am personally looking forward to seeing are

a) WCU-App State
b) Washington-Washington State
c) Montana-Montana State
d) BYU-Utah
e) Ohio State-Michigan
f) Clemson-UVA
G) Furman-Wofford

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2008, 09:04 PM
This is the only game I'll be staying up all night to see this year. Gonna rent out a room in an internet cafe all night with a friend so we can watch it.

Interestingly enough, The Griz wore Maroon on Maroon in their game against ISU, which they usually save for their last home game of the year...

I'm thinking throwbacks....anyone else? xlolx;)

gbhmt
November 15th, 2008, 09:06 PM
This is the only game I'll be staying up all night to see this year. Gonna rent out a room in an internet cafe all night with a friend so we can watch it.

Interestingly enough, The Griz wore Maroon on Maroon in their game against ISU, which they usually save for their last home game of the year...

I think it was because today was senior day. And throwbacks would be awesome.

CatFan22
November 16th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Go Bobcats!

You sir, get rep points. :)

mlbowl
November 16th, 2008, 01:55 AM

Yes...negative rep points!:p

Grizalltheway
November 16th, 2008, 03:50 AM

You kitty fans have to take what love you can get around here. :p

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Do you have a link to that SME article (or whatever)?LINK (http://stupid.com/) xlolx Seriously, no legit FCS news outlet has reported that a six D-I win team has a shot at the FCS playoffs, especially this year.

Montana_Mojo
November 16th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Montana State made the FCS playoffs as an at-large in 2006 with a 7-4 record, and even hosted (and defeated) Furman in the first round. They were clobbered at home three straight weeks by Div. II Chadron State, Eastern Washington and UC Davis. But they got it together and won six in a row before falling to the Griz 13-7 in a tight game in Missoula.

However, MSU had that win over Colorado in Boulder that the selection committee obviously looked highly upon when they selected the field.

That being said, if MSU beats the Griz, I think they have an outside shot. But I think they need someone to lose that's on the playoff bubble. They don't have a major FBS win to fall back on this year.

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Montana State made the FCS playoffs as an at-large in 2006 with a 7-4 record ...Completely different, they were playing UM for the BSC AQ, there were other 7-4 teams with a shot too, you mentioned they had an FBS win... the legit sources have had articles stating how hard this year's at-large field will be to crack, hard to see how the BSC will have 2 at-large teams, especially one that has only 6 D-I wins. They probably have as much of a chance at getting a bid as the Griz getting a seed over a team that beat them and won their conference.

CopperCat
November 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Completely different, they were playing UM for the BSC AQ, there were other 7-4 teams with a shot too, you mentioned they had an FBS win... the legit sources have had articles stating how hard this year's at-large field will be to crack, hard to see how the BSC will have 2 at-large teams, especially one that has only 6 D-I wins. They probably have as much of a chance at getting a bid as the Griz getting a seed over a team that beat them and won their conference.

I'm giving UM the seed, and it's for one reason only: money. You KNOW that the NCAA wants to make some bank, and Weber won't make a quarter of what UM would if they hosted a home game. Nobody wants to admit it, but that's the way it could end up.

And as far as it being "completely different" this year, you are right. The BSC has THREE competitive teams this year, two of which will be guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. The BSC this year was tougher than in years past (minus a couple bottom feeders of course, like any other conference) and deserves just a little more credibility than ya'll are giving. MSU has an outside shot at the playoffs, but I wouldn't count them out for a second. With the way they beat PSU yesterday, I have new faith that we will be neck and neck with UM the whole game.

Ronbo
November 16th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Pretty interesting win loss in the top 5 teams considering most everyone here played two FBS teams except Montana.

Weber State 9-2
Montana 10-1
Montana State 7-4
Eastern Washington 5-5
Northern Arizona 6-5
Sacramento State 6-5

mlbowl
November 16th, 2008, 10:59 AM

That would be sweet!

80 Griz
November 16th, 2008, 11:02 AM
That would be sweet!

Agreed!!!xthumbsupx

mlbowl
November 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
LINK (http://stupid.com/) xlolx Seriously, no legit FCS news outlet has reported that a six D-I win team has a shot at the FCS playoffs, especially this year.

Really?...http://www.helenair.com/articles/2008/11/16/sports/local/101spl_081116_bobcats.txt

BOZEMAN — Montana State keeps taking a licking, yet the Bobcats manage to keep on ticking — and keep their playoff hopes alive.xcoffeex

Ronbo
November 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah, let's go back to the undefeated 1996 team unis. They were sweet. Anything from 1967 to 1995 forget it! Those colors that the university changed to during those years sucked.

The traditional colors from 1898 through 1967 were Maroon and Silver.

The 1967 change to poop brown and piss yellow were a huge mistake.

Really doubt you'll see the Brown and Yellow colors because the helmets alone would cost $250 apiece.

mlbowl
November 16th, 2008, 11:16 AM
The 1967 change to poop brown and piss yellow were a huge mistake.

I liked 'emxnodx

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Really?...Really.
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-paths-to-the-postseason&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4189406

http://anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52185

xpeacex

mlbowl
November 16th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Really.
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-paths-to-the-postseason&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4189406

xpeacex

You asked Tod to provide a link supporting his comment....I'm just saying....There is an article out there, carried by the AP and printed in a credible newspaper, that mentioned the possibilityxpeacex

Grizzaholic
November 16th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I liked 'emxnodx

As did I.

CopperCat
November 16th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Really.

xpeacex

You must have joined Coulson's MSU Hater's Club.xcoffeex

They have a chance.

mlbowl
November 16th, 2008, 04:31 PM
You must have joined Coulson's MSU Hater's Club.xcoffeex

They have a chance.

You didn't know...The App/CAAnetwork.com is the ONLY credible source in FCS discussion.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 16th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I can't believe this thread has fallen off the first page.....I guess there just aren't enough cat fans to show up here, hope the team is the same way on Saturday! :D

CatFan22
November 16th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I can't believe this thread has fallen off the first page.....I guess there just aren't enough cat fans to show up here, hope the team is the same way on Saturday! :D

Don't count on it. xnonox :D

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2008, 07:36 PM
You must have joined Coulson's MSU Hater's Club. They have a chance.xlolx xlolx xlolx Every team in the FCS has a chance. Meeting the guidelines plus beating Montana helps though. Then we'll see what the committee does. xnodx

grizband
November 16th, 2008, 07:43 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx Every team in the FCS has a chance. Meeting the guidelines plus beating Montana helps though. Then we'll see what the committee does. xnodx
Can they get in with only one of those, though?

barechestcat
November 16th, 2008, 08:12 PM
One team's peaking and one team's sliding.....here comes the monkey wrench xsmiley_wix

catbob
November 16th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I'll be in Missoula for the game, but most likely not at the game.

If Crawford runs like he has been the last few weeks, watch out!

gbhmt
November 16th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I'll be in Missoula for the game, but most likely not at the game.

If Crawford runs like he has been the last few weeks, watch out!

Right back at you with Reynolds.

gbhmt
November 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM
One team's peaking and one team's sliding.....here comes the monkey wrench xsmiley_wix

I don't know what Griz team you've been watching...

griz37
November 16th, 2008, 08:23 PM

The Griz are sliding? We have won 6 in a row? Maybe if the Cats had a slide like that they would be in playoff contention.

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Can they get in with only one of those, though?It's impossible for them to meet the guidelines. xcoffeex

ericsaid
November 16th, 2008, 08:40 PM
This game should be played at night and televised on ESPNU

Grizaholic17
November 16th, 2008, 08:41 PM
The Griz are sliding? We have won 6 in a row? Maybe if the Cats had a slide like that they would be in playoff contention.

Or a "streak" of their own :p

Grizaholic17
November 16th, 2008, 08:42 PM
This game should be played at night and televised on ESPNU

Something a lot of Montana fans despise is the fact that we don't have permanent lights on the stadium. However, at the pace that we are expanding, it's just one more thing that throws a wrench into the planning of an expansion.

But much agreed!

CrazyCat
November 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM
It's impossible for them to meet the guidelines. xcoffeex

MSU will not make the playoffs even when they beat the Griz.IMO

Syntax do you mean these guidelines? Because the ncaa may want to change some of their wording :)

Championship Selection
[Reference: Bylaws 31.01.2, 31.01.3 and 31.3 in the NCAA Manual.]
At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I football committee, assisted by four
regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.
The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to
complete the bracket;
2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one
conference;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of
schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of
not being selected;
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all
Division I opponents; and
5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote
for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.
6. For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it,
a guaranteed at-large position shall be awarded in any year in which its conference
champion team meets all of the following conditions:
a. Team wins a minimum of eight Division I games during the season;
b. Team wins a minimum of two nonconference games against Division I teams
representing a conference that has earned an automatic qualification in that year;
and
c. Team finishes the season ranked 16 or higher in an average of the last regularseason
media, coaches and/or computer polls (which will be determined by the
committee on an annual basis). For 2008, the media poll will be the Sports
Network Poll, the coaches poll will be the FCS Coaches poll and the computer
poll will be a variation of the Gridiron Power Index – using only the following computer rankings: The Massey Ratings, Wolfe Rankings, Ashburn Rankings,
Self Rankings and the Laz Index.
[See Appendix B (page 37) for a map of the geographical regions.]

NCAA GUIDELINES (http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Division_1_Manual_2008-09e9e568a1-c269-4423-9ca5-16d6827c16bc.pdf)

Peems
November 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Griz by 10 or so, it'll be close just because it is Cat/Griz, but it is going to be as loud and rabid as ever this saturday with the expansion. Be prepared The Rocket is ready to soar!!!

Grizaholic17
November 16th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Griz by 10 or so, it'll be close just because it is Cat/Griz, but it is going to be as loud and rabid as ever this saturday with the expansion. Be prepared The Rocket is ready to soar!!!

Hopefully this saturday is a prequel to what the playoffs (2nd round at home) will be. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

CopperCat
November 16th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Hopefully this saturday is a prequel to what the playoffs (2nd round at home) will be. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Getting smoked at home again?

Oh sorry, smack thread, I know. ------------->

grizband
November 16th, 2008, 09:58 PM
It's impossible for them to meet the guidelines. xcoffeex
Precisely. Even if the Cats win, they won't have the mandated number of DI wins.

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Syntax do you mean these guidelines?xnodx Those GUIDELINES. Members of the selection committee including the chairman told me those are the GUIDELINES they are instructed to follow. xcoffeex

GrizNation93
November 16th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Griz are gonna roll in this game. I think they looked past ISU to the Cats because of their record. They'll be fired up for this game knowing it could get them a seed in the playoffs.

CatFan22
November 16th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Griz are gonna roll in this game. I think they looked past ISU to the Cats because of their record. They'll be fired up for this game knowing it could get them a seed in the playoffs.

The Cats are gonna roll in this game. I know they didn't look past PSU. They'll be fired up for this game for every reason in the books.

bshgriz
November 16th, 2008, 10:31 PM
The Cats are gonna roll in this game. I know they didn't look past PSU. They'll be fired up for this game for every reason in the books.

The Griz won't be though?
Griz-37
sCats-17xcoolx

wapiti
November 16th, 2008, 10:32 PM
The griz have had two weeks to prepare for this game, (they looked past ISU, I think, and have been preparing for the Cats)

The Bobcats have built-in excuses, lots of injuries. ( Which can affect a teams performance.)

I want the Bobcats to win, but I think the Griz's passing game will be to much for the Cat secondary.
My brain says Griz 24 Cats 17, my heart says Cats 24 Griz 17.

GrizNation93
November 16th, 2008, 10:43 PM

PSU's D doesn't even compare to the Griz D though. The crowd will be HUGE in this game. The place will be sold out and rockin. the Cats won't know what hit them. Chase is going to grind the clock and Mariani will break at least a couple big plays like he does every game.

CatFan22
November 16th, 2008, 10:45 PM
PSU's D doesn't even compare to the Griz D though. The crowd will be HUGE in this game. The place will be sold out and rockin. the Cats won't know what hit them. Chase is going to grind the clock and Mariani will break at least a couple big plays like he does every game.

Exactly. Mariani will account for 14 (12) of your 20 or 21 points but it won't be enough as the Cats score at least 24. :)
Great game, though. Cats D steps up and get a great win in Missoula.

GrizNation93
November 16th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Exactly. Mariani will account for 14 (12) of your 20 or 21 points but it won't be enough as the Cats score at least 24. :)
Great game, though. Cats D steps up and get a great win in Missoula.

You forgot about the 2 rushing TDs Chase will have again. :)

CatFan22
November 16th, 2008, 11:04 PM
You forgot about the 2 rushing TDs Chase will have again. :)

Even if Mariani gets 2, there is no way Chase will get 2 against the MSU run defense.

Grizalltheway
November 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Even if Mariani gets 2, there is no way Chase will get 2 against the MSU run defense.

Really? He had 3 TDs against NAU's (then) top ranked rushing defense. xeyebrowx

Silenoz
November 16th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I'm sensing a blowout. Griz roll

CatFan22
November 16th, 2008, 11:49 PM

NAU isn't MSU. Just wait.

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM

I seem to recall hearing that quite a bit the last two years, as well. ;)

gbhmt
November 17th, 2008, 12:19 AM

True. They're better.

GolfingGriz
November 17th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Remember last year...181 yards and 3 TDs
This year we block better, will be playing on a better field, and Chase isnt too bad either...

catbob
November 17th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Some statistical matchups to keep an eye on:

UM #2 scoring offense MSU #6 scoring defense
UM #1 passing defense MSU #9 passing offense
UM +5 turnover margin MSU -5 turnover margin
UM #5 rushing defense MSU #1 rushing offense
UM #2 total offense MSU #1 total defense
UM #9 in sacks given up MSU #2 in sacks
UM #5 in sacks MSU #1 in sacks given up
UM #1 3rd down conversion MSU #2 opponent third down conversion
MSU and UM are the two least penalized teams in the conference respectively.

It is interesting that MSU's total defense is #1 but scoring defense is #6. MSU is also #1 in first downs given up. When you turn the ball over 30 times, opposing teams don't have to go to far to score, which explains all of those conflicting stats. MSU has more takeaways than the Griz, but the Griz have committed far less turnovers.

If MSU can win the turnover margin I like our chances. We start throwing INTs again and it could be a blowout.

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Montana has a overwhelming match up with our receivers and the cat backs. Look for us to look at short passes towards the beginning and see if those mismatches with mariani and ferriter with ramon lewis. Those receivers can put the hurt on him.

Something against Montana is the possible injury to trumaine johnson. Saw him today with big brace on his leg.

WyomingGrizFan
November 17th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Something against Montana is the possible injury to trumaine johnson. Saw him today with big brace on his leg.

That's really too bad. Probably sit out next year as a Medical type Redshirt (since he's a true freshman this year), then try to make it make to full strength the year after that.

Next game could very well see both Chase Reynolds reach 1,000 yards rushing for the season (880 yds at present with 13 TDs) & Mariani reaching 1,000 yards receiving (968 yds at present also with 13 TDs) in the same game. Go Griz!!!!

Peems
November 17th, 2008, 02:42 AM
That's really too bad. Probably sit out next year as a Medical type Redshirt (since he's a true freshman this year), then try to make it make to full strength the year after that.

Next game could very well see both Chase Reynolds reach 1,000 yards rushing for the season (880 yds at present with 13 TDs) & Mariani reaching 1,000 yards receiving (968 yds at present also with 13 TDs) in the same game. Go Griz!!!!

It's a knee injury and he had a MRI today, but I haven't heard the full extent

bpcats
November 17th, 2008, 02:57 AM
UM will have about 150 yds rushing against MSU
MSU will have about 150 yds rushing against UM
MSU will turn the ball over at least twice.
A punt or FG or extra point will be blocked.
Mariani will have a big day on special teams.
Cole will have a big day throwing for over 200 yds

Desin will probably throw for no more than 150 yds as our receivers can't get open. DeSean Thomas (Fr WR) will be missed.

First half should be low scoring unless turnovers get crazy.
Bobby will call a fake FG or Punt sometime during the game.
If there is a chance for the Griz to run up the score, they will do it.

Griz win 35-17 as the Cats finally succumb to all the injuries to the dline.

placidlakegriz
November 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM

It is interesting that MSU's total defense is #1 but scoring defense is #6. MSU is also #1 in first downs given up. When you turn the ball over 30 times, opposing teams don't have to go to far to score, which explains all of those conflicting stats. MSU has more takeaways than the Griz, but the Griz have committed far less turnovers.

If MSU can win the turnover margin I like our chances. We start throwing INTs again and it could be a blowout.

While msu has a small 1.2 yards a game lead in total defense over UM, A more telling stat is scoring defense. I'll take our defensive unit over theirs all week long.

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Montana State....... 11 939 2547 737 3486 4.7 35 316.9
2. Montana............. 11 1199 2300 687 3499 5.1 23 318.1

SCORING DEFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. Montana............. 11 24 23 1 1 11 0 204 18.5
2. Weber State......... 11 28 25 2 0 8 2 225 20.5
3. Northern Arizona.... 11 34 30 2 0 11 1 273 24.8
4. Sacramento State.... 11 37 26 0 0 12 2 288 26.2
5. Eastern Washington.. 10 32 28 1 0 15 1 269 26.9
6. Montana State....... 11 41 32 2 0 5 0 297 27.0

And if you just want to compare like opponents (conference games), we have the #1 defense.

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Montana............. 7 853 1370 437 2223 5.1 12 317.6
2. Montana State....... 7 449 1842 485 2291 4.7 21 327.3

Conference scoring defense

SCORING DEFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. Montana............. 7 12 12 0 1 7 0 107 15.3
2. Weber State......... 7 17 16 1 0 5 2 139 19.9
3. Eastern Washington.. 7 17 15 0 0 13 1 158 22.6
4. Montana State....... 7 24 18 2 0 2 0 172 24.6

placidlakegriz
November 17th, 2008, 08:12 AM
UM will have about 150 yds rushing against MSU
MSU will have about 150 yds rushing against UM
MSU will turn the ball over at least twice.
A punt or FG or extra point will be blocked.
Mariani will have a big day on special teams.
Cole will have a big day throwing for over 200 yds

Desin will probably throw for no more than 150 yds as our receivers can't get open. DeSean Thomas (Fr WR) will be missed.

First half should be low scoring unless turnovers get crazy.
Bobby will call a fake FG or Punt sometime during the game.
If there is a chance for the Griz to run up the score, they will do it.

Griz win 35-17 as the Cats finally succumb to all the injuries to the dline.

What do consider running up the score??

And are you making excuses already why the cats are going to loss??

catbob
November 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
placid, I believe I already explained why the scoring defense is so skewed. When you turn the ball over 30 times, including losing 13 fumbles, the defense is going to be on the field more than they normally would. Plus the field is likely going to be shorter.

Our defense also leads the leagues in interceptions and is second in total takeaways. If the offense could cut down on the turnovers, and do better in the field position battle, the defense would have better stats and we'd have more wins.

I'm not sure where to find this stat, but I know our defense has scored I believe 3 TDs in the last 4 games, and I can think of a few more throughout the season.

gbhmt
November 17th, 2008, 10:04 AM
placid, I believe I already explained why the scoring defense is so skewed. When you turn the ball over 30 times, including losing 13 fumbles, the defense is going to be on the field more than they normally would. Plus the field is likely going to be shorter.

Our defense also leads the leagues in interceptions and is second in total takeaways. If the offense could cut down on the turnovers, and do better in the field position battle, the defense would have better stats and we'd have more wins.

I'm not sure where to find this stat, but I know our defense has scored I believe 3 TDs in the last 4 games, and I can think of a few more throughout the season.

All I got from that post is that while your defense could be argued as better, it won't matter because it's spoiled by a faulty offense. Whether that's the case or whether UM's defense is better, you get the same result. So it doesn't matter. Oh and bpcats, in the Griz/Cat game, running up the score is absolutely acceptable.

CopperCat
November 17th, 2008, 10:12 AM
All I got from that post is that while your defense could be argued as better, it won't matter because it's spoiled by a faulty offense. Whether that's the case or whether UM's defense is better, you get the same result. So it doesn't matter. Oh and bpcats, in the Griz/Cat game, running up the score is absolutely acceptable.

xlolx xlolx xlolx Go to english class son. Catbob wasn't saying that our defense "could be argued as better," he was saying that it IS better.

As for the faulty offense, yes, we do have some issues. But when your offense puts up 42 points the week before Cat-Griz and your THIRD STRING QB is in there, that says that the offense has some guts to it.

And it has never been called Griz-Cat. There are many other more experienced griz supporters on here that would agree. Even my 60 year old uncle who is an alum of UM calls it Cat-Griz. Respect your elders (and remember to do your chemistry homework).

gbhmt
November 17th, 2008, 10:16 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx Go to english class son. Catbob wasn't saying that our defense "could be argued as better," he was saying that it IS better.

As for the faulty offense, yes, we do have some issues. But when your offense puts up 42 points the week before Cat-Griz and your THIRD STRING QB is in there, that says that the offense has some guts to it.

And it has never been called Griz-Cat. There are many other more experienced griz supporters on here that would agree. Even my 60 year old uncle who is an alum of UM calls it Cat-Griz. Respect your elders (and remember to do your chemistry homework).

You can argue about your defense all you want. Ours performs better on the scoreboard (by the way, that's where it actually matters).

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 17th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Call it what you want before the game, just as long as it's called a "Griz Win" in the end, I could care less ;) :D

I think the Cat/Griz rivalry is great. My dad is an MSU grad and so is my niece. My sister is a UM grad, her daughter is the MSU grad, go figure... I think if your family is from around Montana for a long time, you find there is a good mix of barbs to be traded. Usually all in good fun. This thing they have down here in Utah between the Utes and BYU is pretty crazy, they really do hate each other. At least we keep it relatively civil the other 364 days a year xthumbsupx

CopperCat
November 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM

I thought that was because UM "exposed" NAU's defense.

xrolleyesx Business as usual.xcoffeex

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Call it what you want before the game, just as long as it's called a "Griz Win" in the end, I could care less ;) :D

I think the Cat/Griz rivalry is great. My dad is an MSU grad and so is my niece. My sister is a UM grad, her daughter is the MSU grad, go figure... I think if your family is from around Montana for a long time, you find there is a good mix of barbs to be traded. Usually all in good fun. This thing they have down here in Utah between the Utes and BYU is pretty crazy, they really do hate each other. At least we keep it relatively civil the other 364 days a year xthumbsupx

Well that may be religion imposed...xrolleyesx

I will admit I root for the cats all other days of the year.

grizband
November 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I thought that was because UM "exposed" NAU's defense.

xrolleyesx Business as usual.xcoffeex
I think we did expose their run defense. NAU was giving up 18.8 yards/game rushing before they played the Griz. The Griz then amassed 223 rushing yards in the game against NAU, followed by 191 rushing yards by the Cats.

DuckDuckGriz
November 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
As much of a tradition as the Brawl itself: the annual late-season Bobcat fade :D

Ronbo
November 17th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Not so sure of that. If indeed our two starting CB's were knocked out for the season in the ISU game, it could be close in the Cat game and a possible 1st round exit for the Griz. That will make our Defense very vunerable.

Grizzaholic
November 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Not so sure of that. If indeed our two starting CB's were knocked out for the season in the ISU game, it could be close in the Cat game and a possible 1st round exit for the Griz. That will make our Defense very vunerable.

I thought TJ's injury was only a sprain???

Ronbo
November 17th, 2008, 05:32 PM
What I'm hearing from students on campus is a cast on the left arm for Swink and a knee brace and MRI appointment for TJ. Doesn't sound promising.

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM
What I'm hearing from students on campus is a cast on the left arm for Swink and a knee brace and MRI appointment for TJ. Doesn't sound promising.

And we all know rumors floating around campus are the gospel truth. xrolleyesx xsmiley_wix

catatac
November 17th, 2008, 05:55 PM
As much of a tradition as the Brawl itself: the annual late-season Bobcat fade :D

Hmmm... we've won 5 Big Sky games in a row... and we've dominated NAU and PSU in our last two games respectively... while you have struggled against PSU and last-place ISU on your last two games respectively. I'm not Bobby won't have your team fired up and ready to go to battle against us because I think he will. You better play better than you just did agasint ISU though because it will be a loooong day for you if you don't.

catatac
November 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Precisely. Even if the Cats win, they won't have the mandated number of DI wins.

There is nothing mandated. There are guidelines that the committee CAN use in order to break tiebreakers. They are tasked with choosing the 16 teams that are playing their best football heading into the playoffs.

Long shot at us getting in but stranger things have happened. Our AD, our information director, our head coach, our players, and pretty much all of the newspapers in the state are all saying that it is still possible to make the playoffs and the committe will at least consider us if we head into Washington Grizzly stadium and knock off the griz.

MTGrizzFan
November 17th, 2008, 06:09 PM

I sure hope atleast one of them can go this weekend.

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2008, 06:12 PM

I thought swink was playing in the end of the game last week. And I saw TJ today and he said the chances for this game are up in the air, but that it is most likely not a season ending injury

Ronbo
November 17th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Put a fork in it for Thanksgiving Cat fans. You're done. No matter what happens this weekend. They are just trying to put some interest in the game this weekend. Oh you have a shot. Yes, a 1,000,000 to 1 shot.

"Then you're saying we have a chance?"
http://syntheticdealer.com/DumbandDumber002.jpg

gbhmt
November 17th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I thought swink was playing in the end of the game last week. And I saw TJ today and he said the chances for this game are up in the air, but that it is most likely not a season ending injury

He was. I think Trumaine is done unless we make it past the first round. Swink should be okay, he indeed was playing at the end of the ISU game.

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
He was. I think Trumaine is done unless we make it past the first round. Swink should be okay, he indeed was playing at the end of the ISU game.

It will be an issue not having TruMaine however

gbhmt
November 17th, 2008, 10:17 PM
It will be an issue not having TruMaine however

Oh definitely. He's our best corner. However #21 (I'm not up for looking up the name right now) seems quite solid and as you could see in the ISU game, Colt has a habit of saving the day when a coverage goes bad.

GOKATS
November 17th, 2008, 10:34 PM
What do consider running up the score??

And are you making excuses already why the cats are going to loss??

Cool, the griz fan from Joisey who's fascinated with posting in colors.

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Oh definitely. He's our best corner. However #21 (I'm not up for looking up the name right now) seems quite solid and as you could see in the ISU game, Colt has a habit of saving the day when a coverage goes bad.

But saving the day from a touchdown...not necessarily from a first down. And you're talking about Keith Thompson, who I also know and is exceptional at keeping up with guys and making the deflection. No doubt about that.

GOKATS
November 17th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Put a fork in it for Thanksgiving Cat fans. You're done. No matter what happens this weekend. They are just trying to put some interest in the game this weekend. Oh you have a shot. Yes, a 1,000,000 to 1 shot.

I'm not giving the Cats much if any shot at making the playoffs, but I will predict a Cat win over the fizz this Sat. and if we don't make the playoffs we'll watch the fizz get their asses handed to them by whatever team has to travel to wa/griz.xnodx

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I'm not giving the Cats much if any shot at making the playoffs, but I will predict a Cat win over the fizz this Sat. and if we don't make the playoffs we'll watch the fizz get their asses handed to them by whatever team has to travel to wa/griz.xnodx

xlolx

Whatever gets you through the day. xthumbsupx

Silenoz
November 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM

As you're used to doing

Aaaah, I'm helping turn this into smack, so.....jk!

CrazyCat
November 17th, 2008, 11:00 PM
So, the Griz might be missing a couple corners ?

gbhmt
November 17th, 2008, 11:10 PM

At least one, yes.

GOKATS
November 17th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Sounds like it, but you won't find them in nearby Deer Lodge- sounds like injuries this time.

My bad, but it is Cat/griz week.xnodx

bpcats
November 18th, 2008, 12:24 AM
The Cat Griz game is always a physical battle and when the Cats do win, it usually takes our best players having their best game or UM sucking it up.

There are a few keys to the game that will be the difference this year and why I think the Griz will win.

Running offense: Draw
The Griz have great balance on offense and make a lot of explosive plays in the passing game which opens up things for their running game. Everybody knows that the Cats are going to run the ball and nobody has really stopped it yet.

Passing offense: Advantage Griz
Cole has been very good all year. He can take off and run with the ball and is very accurate. He has a good group of receivers but Mauriani makes them really dangerous. The Cats have struggled all year with their passing game. Losing your top two receiving threats does not help things either. Schrebeis actually does a great job in the replacing Bostick in the passing game. However losing Thomas at receiver is a big blow. Picture Griz without Mauriani. If Desin had been our starter all year or even three or four games in a row I would like our chances a little better. Cats barely pass for 150 yds a game.

Special Teams: Advantage Cats
UM has the better return man in Mauriani. The Cats have the better punter in Fisher and kicker in Cunningham.

Defense: Draw
If the Cats were actually healthy and Fletcher was playing it would advantage to the Cats without a doubt. The Griz defense has progressed nicely and been very solid all year. The Cats have been using their second, third and fourth string players along the dline all year and have gotten the job done. They have played inspired football the last few weeks. The lbs and cbs are a draw.

The lack of a consistent passing attack, and injuries, turnovers have plagued the Cats all year and I see them as a big factor this week.

Of course if Desin can do his best Dave Dickensen imitation then we'll see.

Ronbo
November 18th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Special teams.

Kick Returns - advantage Griz when Mariani takes the ball.

Punt returns - advantage Griz

Punting - Woods has a 43.2 yard average for the season and puts the ball inside the 5 better than any punter I've seen in the 14 years I've followed the Griz. Montana leads the Nation in net punt average. advantage Griz.

Field Goals - advantage Cats.

Overall Special Teams - advantage Griz.

Green26
November 18th, 2008, 12:56 AM
UM's scoring defense is 18.5 points per game (11th in nation), compared to MSU's 27.0 (62nd). In the past 6 games, UM allowed 10.33 points per game.

UM's net punting is actually no. 2 in nation, compared to MSU's 55th.

UM's punter averages .45 more per punt. MSU's punter has had more practice, with 20 more punts than UM's.

UM is ranked 11th in nation in punt returns, compared to MSU's 75th. Mariani is 8th in the nation.

UM and MSU are ranked 27th and 38th, respectively, in kickoff returns.

UM's 3rd down conversion percentage ranks 26th in the nation, compared to MSU's 76th.

UM's 4th down conversion percentage is 6th in the nation, compared to MSU's 94th.

placidlakegriz
November 18th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Cool, the griz fan from Joisey who's fascinated with posting in colors.

What??

placidlakegriz
November 18th, 2008, 06:17 AM
UM's scoring defense is 18.5 points per game (11th in nation), compared to MSU's 27.0 (62nd). In the past 6 games, UM allowed 10.33 points per game.

UM's net punting is actually no. 2 in nation, compared to MSU's 55th.

UM's punter averages .45 more per punt. MSU's punter has had more practice, with 20 more punts than UM's.

UM is ranked 11th in nation in punt returns, compared to MSU's 75th. Mariani is 8th in the nation.

UM and MSU are ranked 27th and 38th, respectively, in kickoff returns.

UM's 3rd down conversion percentage ranks 26th in the nation, compared to MSU's 76th.

UM's 4th down conversion percentage is 6th in the nation, compared to MSU's 94th.

Please no using stats, as catbob said " believe I already explained why the scoring defense is so skewed. When you turn the ball over 30 times, including losing 13 fumbles, the defense is going to be on the field more than they normally would. Plus the field is likely going to be shorter. If the offense could cut down on the turnovers, and do better in the field position battle, the defense would have better stats and we'd have more wins."

There you go cats defense is the best in the country.xrolleyesx

catatac
November 18th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Please no using stats, as catbob said " believe I already explained why the scoring defense is so skewed. When you turn the ball over 30 times, including losing 13 fumbles, the defense is going to be on the field more than they normally would. Plus the field is likely going to be shorter. If the offense could cut down on the turnovers, and do better in the field position battle, the defense would have better stats and we'd have more wins."

There you go cats defense is the best in the country.xrolleyesx

No, I wouldn't say that... but our defense is very, very good... as you'll find out on Saturday.

GolfingGriz
November 18th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Let's just hope it doesn't come down to special teams to decide the winner.

Don't worry it won't.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Don't worry it won't.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

kudos!

The Griz are looking delightfully tacky, yet unrefined

DuckDuckGriz
November 19th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Hmmm... we've won 5 Big Sky games in a row... and we've dominated NAU and PSU in our last two games respectively... while you have struggled against PSU and last-place ISU on your last two games respectively. I'm not Bobby won't have your team fired up and ready to go to battle against us because I think he will. You better play better than you just did agasint ISU though because it will be a loooong day for you if you don't.

You sure about that? xeyebrowx

And if a 29-12 and 29-10 win is really struggling than I love your outlook on how good the Grizzly football team is.

Green26
November 19th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Catatac, is this your idea of "struggling" against PSU? UM dominated.

First downs: 24-12

Total offense: 427 - 210

No. of offensive plays: 84-47

Time of possession: 43:21 to 16:39

UM had no fumbles or interceptions

Mouse Davis said he couldn't remember the last time he'd been beaten so badly.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Rabble rabble rabble.

Ronbo
November 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM
The Cats have a better chance of being struck by lightning or winning the Powerball Lottery than making the playoffs. They are just playing for pride and a 8-4 record instead of a 7-5 record. Sad, so sad.:( xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Silenoz
November 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM

xlolx
What games were you watching?

Silenoz
November 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM
This fell off the front page. Unacceptable!

DuckDuckGriz
November 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I'm so bored of the Bobcats. They had fans for a span from 2002-2005 then sunk back into the woodwork. Let's find a new rival.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I'm so bored of the Bobcats. They had fans for a span from 2002-2005 then sunk back into the woodwork. Let's find a new rival.

We will find out who can be our next rival on Sunday :D

mlbowl
November 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Last year the game was on DirecTV...are any other networks picking this game up? I just got my brand new #37 jersey today...I'd like to wear it out to a barxnodx

GOKATS
November 19th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Last year the game was on DirecTV...are any other networks picking this game up? I just got my brand new #37 jersey today...I'd like to wear it out to a barxnodx

The game is on DirecTV channel 698 and supposedly on Dish, but I don't know what channel.

mlbowl
November 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
The game is on DirecTV channel 698 and supposedly on Dish, but I don't know what channel.

Thanks GK.

technocat
November 19th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Man am I late, well for my two cents:

1. I think that the Griz will be more effective running the ball than passing. We are banged up like crazy (but may get Ogden and Kolone back!!) on the line as well as LB's. Our secondary has actually played very well lately. Nichol and Retoriano are big play guys. And go ahead and try to beat Lewis physically. He'll bring it right back at ya.

2. You won't stop us from running the ball. Stack the box, blitz, whatever we will get our yards. I'm curious what the griz philosophy on D will be if they don't get Swink and Johnson back? Maybe its time for Tolliver, Green, Green, Schribeis, Begger, and Lulay to start running wild.

3. All in all, turnovers will decide this game. If we play smart and hold on to the football, it will stay close. If either team starts giving it away, it will be a long day for them.

In conclusion, FTG go Cats!!!!

GolfingGriz
November 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I'm very confident about our running game right now, but a little worried about the passing. I honestly think if we put up 20 we will win. Out of all the teams we have played the last 6 weeks only one has scored 20 on us. UNC only got to twenty after they had 2 TDs the last 5 minutes.
Crawford will be the key for an MSU win. He will get his yards but when? Will it be crucial yards in the forth when they are trying to grind out the win, or will they be meaningless yards en route to a loss?

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I'm very confident about our running game right now, but a little worried about the passing. I honestly think if we put up 20 we will win. Out of all the teams we have played the last 6 weeks only one has scored 20 on us. UNC only got to twenty after they had 2 TDs the last 5 minutes.
Crawford will be the key for an MSU win. He will get his yards but when? Will it be crucial yards in the forth when they are trying to grind out the win, or will they be meaningless yards en route to a loss?

I think you are spot on. Rushing will be key in this game. I think TO's will be a factor but ball control will decide who wins this one. Who can put together those 8-13 play scoring drives that chew up tons of clock is the team that will win this one.

GolfingGriz
November 19th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I think you are spot on. Rushing will be key in this game. I think TO's will be a factor but ball control will decide who wins this one. Who can put together those 8-13 play scoring drives that chew up tons of clock is the team that will win this one.

Yeah, I think if we gameplan this game offensively like we did against PSU, I'd say we could snuff any chance of a bobcat victory. Bobcats wont have as many possessions as they are used to. Desin will have to convert third downs, will he be able to?

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I think if we gameplan this game offensively like we did against PSU, I'd say we could snuff any chance of a bobcat victory. Bobcats wont have as many possessions as they are used to. Desin will have to convert third downs, will he be able to?

Third downs have been a big thing for the Griz the past few games both on O and D.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Third downs have been a big thing for the Griz the past few games both on O and D.

A big thing as in a big problem right?

We were 5 of 12 with ISU
We were 7 of 19 with PSU
We were 7 of 14 with NAU

All of those numbers are not looking so good. I prefer over 50% for 3rd down conversions.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Oh, and benefit of the doubt to the Defense.

2 of 9 for PSU against our D
4 of 12 with NAU
and 4 of 16 with ISU

placidlakegriz
November 19th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Man am I late, well for my two cents:

1. I think that the Griz will be more effective running the ball than passing. We are banged up like crazy (but may get Ogden and Kolone back!!) on the line as well as LB's. Our secondary has actually played very well lately. Nichol and Retoriano are big play guys. And go ahead and try to beat Lewis physically. He'll bring it right back at ya.

2. You won't stop us from running the ball. Stack the box, blitz, whatever we will get our yards. I'm curious what the griz philosophy on D will be if they don't get Swink and Johnson back? Maybe its time for Tolliver, Green, Green, Schribeis, Begger, and Lulay to start running wild.

3. All in all, turnovers will decide this game. If we play smart and hold on to the football, it will stay close. If either team starts giving it away, it will be a long day for them.

In conclusion, FTG go Cats!!!!

I am pretty sure the score will decide the game.

SU Jag
November 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Hopefully one day I can make it up for this gamexbowx Certainly one of the best in FCSxbowx

Green26
November 19th, 2008, 07:56 PM
A big thing as in a big problem right?

We were 5 of 12 with ISU
We were 7 of 19 with PSU
We were 7 of 14 with NAU

All of those numbers are not looking so good. I prefer over 50% for 3rd down conversions.

Grizaholic, I too would like a bit better 3rd down conversion percentage, but your expectations are not realistitic. Only Liberty, San Diego and Monmouth are over 50% this year, and they are not over much.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Grizaholic, I too would like a bit better 3rd down conversion percentage, but your expectations are not realistitic. Only Liberty, San Diego and Monmouth are over 50% this year, and they are not over much.

Third Down Conversions last year against MSU:
11 of 19 at MSU

Let's hope this repeats

WyomingGrizFan
November 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM
By the way, who are the Griz playing this week?

GOKATS
November 19th, 2008, 09:43 PM
By the way, who are the Griz playing this week?

The Fighting Bobcats!!

You'll remember (or want to forget Sat. afternoon).

BTW- FTG!!

SeattleGriz
November 19th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I'm sensing a blowout. Griz roll

I too agree that the Cats just don't have what it takes.

Griz 31
Cats 17

By the way, I started school in Missoula during 1986, and everyone knows the Griz started winning that year...

Go Griz!

GolfingGriz
November 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Third Down Conversions last year against MSU:
11 of 19 at MSU

Let's hope this repeats

If that repeats, we easily win.

bshgriz
November 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM
The Fighting Bobcats!!

You'll remember (or want to forget Sat. afternoon).

BTW- FTG!!

The Who? Never heard of you guys before.xconfusedx

Hellgate60
November 20th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Two more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

grizbeer
November 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Some scoring stats for fun:

Against the 7 common opponents in the BSC:
* Montana scored more points than MSU did against 5 teams, exceptions were PSU and ISU. On average UM outscored MSU by 6.71 points

* Montana defense allowed fewer points than MSU did against 5 teams, exceptions were WSU and UNC. On average Montana allowed 9.29 fewer points than MSU.

* Montana had a better point spread in 6 of 7 games (including the "recent struggle" against ISU) The remaining game both teams beat PSU by 20. On average UM was 16 points better than MSU

* For teams Montana played on the road and MSU played at home UM was 11.75 points better than MSU.

* For teams Montana played at home and MSU played on the road UM was 21.67 points better than MSU

On paper given this game is home for UM, road for MSU, I would say a 21 point win for UM. Given the game is played on plastic and not paper, and a rivalry game, I say a 16 point win for UM.

GOKATS
November 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM
You can throw all the numbers out the window- it's Cat/griz and anything can happen. I'll be watching the game from my hunting camp in the Big Hole Valley- nothing like a cozy wall tent, plenty of cold beer, a good cigar (and a 5000 watt Honda generatorxlolx ).

Cats 31
griz 24

Go Cats!!!!

Grizaholic17
November 20th, 2008, 12:22 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j194/umgrizzliesfootball/normal_IMG_3802-1.jpg

Grizalltheway
November 20th, 2008, 12:47 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j194/umgrizzliesfootball/normal_IMG_3802-1.jpg

Went and picked up a maroon Griz shirt at the bookstore just for this occasion. :D

Grizalltheway
November 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
You can throw all the numbers out the window- it's Cat/griz and anything can happen. I'll be watching the game from my hunting camp in the Big Hole Valley- nothing like a cozy wall tent, plenty of cold beer, a good cigar (and a 5000 watt Honda generatorxlolx ).

Cats 31
griz 24

Go Cats!!!!

Agreed. Although I do expect the Griz to win, I don't think the Cats will make it easy at all. xnodx

CopperCat
November 20th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I am pretty sure the score will decide the game.

Really?xrolleyesx

Smartass griz fan. Points of takeaways can take the wind out of a team's sails pretty quick. I think that was the point of his statement.

technocat
November 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Cats 31
griz 24

Go Cats!!!!

Sounds like a good time! Listen up fizzlies, doubt all you want but come Saturday, these two teams are going to battle it out and whoever has more heart is going to win. Now who wants it more, the team that has been scratching and clawing its way back into the picture of relevancy for five weeks in a row, or the team that has been coasting ever since it had its arse handed to it.....?xwhistlex

Grizzaholic
November 20th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

wapiti
November 20th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I plan on elk hunting most of the day Saturday, but I do carry a small radio with me and plan to listen in to part of the game.

gbhmt
November 20th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Sounds like a good time! Listen up fizzlies, doubt all you want but come Saturday, these two teams are going to battle it out and whoever has more heart is going to win. Now who wants it more, the team that has been scratching and clawing its way back into the picture of relevancy for five weeks in a row, or the team that has been coasting ever since it had its arse handed to it.....?xwhistlex

Boy if you'd call our wins since then coasting then I can't imagine how great we'd be if we actually played hardxcoffeex

By that logic, if we actually play with all we've got we should be puttin 80 on everyone...

Grizaholic17
November 20th, 2008, 05:58 PM
BTW! There is a 20% off everything sale at the Bookstore tomorrow in preparation for Griz/Cat. GO GRIZ

GolfingGriz
November 20th, 2008, 06:40 PM

If it always came down to who wanted it more wouldn't you guys win more than three times in 22 years? Either superior talent or you guys not caring has something to do with it too. Let me know which it is.

CrunchGriz
November 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Average score of Griz games since the WSU loss:

UM 34 - Opponents 10

Nice coasting. Maybe you meant "crushing"....

Regardless, I doubt much will be left in the tank on Saturday.

WyomingGrizFan
November 20th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Listen up fizzlies

fizzlies...?

Dear Gawd!!! Is that the best you putty-tats can come up with? I mean, I've heard much, much better during high school games in Montana than that, junior high even; I mean, that's just down right insulting. Can't you turkeys come up with something better than..fizzlies? Twelve years of compulsory eduction and this is what we get!!!?..for shame. Damn, what's this rivalry comin' to anyways. Just for that. STREAK II!!!!!!

cats2506
November 20th, 2008, 10:03 PM
BTW! There is a 20% off everything sale at the Bookstore tomorrow in preparation for Griz/Cat. GO GRIZ

Thats smart, after Saturday they probably wont be able to sell any of that maroon crap

Peems
November 20th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Thats smart, after Saturday they probably wont be able to sell any of that maroon crap

cuz the Cats will all be hoppin on the playoff wagon!!!

GOKATS
November 20th, 2008, 10:20 PM
fizzlies...?

Dear Gawd!!! Is that the best you putty-tats can come up with? I mean, I've heard much, much better during high school games in Montana than that, junior high even; I mean, that's just down right insulting. Can't you turkeys come up with something better than..fizzlies? Twelve years of compulsory eduction and this is what we get!!!?..for shame. Damn, what's this rivalry comin' to anyways. Just for that. STREAK II!!!!!!

Oh, C'mon!!!!!!!!! Do you really think that putty-tats is better than fizzly bears? Give me a f'ing break! I'm guessing you just finished your 12 years of el-hi. Trust me, we have a helluva lot more colorful names but *****, et al, is a fizz fan and if we don't behave we'll get banned.xeekx

already123
November 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Good ol fashioned hate....

i love it

WyomingGrizFan
November 21st, 2008, 02:55 AM
Hey, can I help it if it's Bozo-ville that host the ODD-numbered years? I mean, really. I know, I know, it all seems like it's destiny and all that pre-ordained sort of thing and all that, but really, guys,..It's not my fault!!!!

CopperCat
November 21st, 2008, 07:20 AM
fizzlies...?

Like "putty tats" is any better.

Muck Fizzoula.xcoffeex

wapiti
November 21st, 2008, 03:05 PM
What's the weather to be like in Missoula tomorrow?

It snowed in Bozeman last night. about 2 to 3 inches.

mlbowl
November 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
This sucks...I've been to 4 different sports bars around here and none of them have channel 698xbawlingx

technocat
November 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM
fizzlies...?

All is hear is blah, blah, can't come up with anything better with my degree from smoke u, blah.... xcoffeex To tell you the truth i was trying to keep it amicable and didn't want to resort to using my more creative names. Oh and it was so cute how you spelled god like you some kind of red neck straight out the bush, how clever.....xthumbsupx

CatFan22
November 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM
Like "putty tats" is any better.

Muck Fizzoula.xcoffeex

xthumbsupx

DuckDuckGriz
November 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM
All is hear is blah, blah, can't come up with anything better with my degree from smoke u, blah.... xcoffeex To tell you the truth i was trying to keep it amicable and didn't want to resort to using my more creative names. Oh and it was so cute how you spelled god like you some kind of red neck straight out the bush, how clever.....xthumbsupx

xlolx xlolx

Silenoz
November 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM

Haha. Oh the irony :p

nwFL Griz
November 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM
This sucks...I've been to 4 different sports bars around here and none of them have channel 698xbawlingx

Where in Florida are you mlbowl? If you are anywhere near Pensacola, Seville Quarters is showing it.....and I'll be there!

mlbowl
November 21st, 2008, 05:19 PM
Where in Florida are you mlbowl? If you are anywhere near Pensacola, Seville Quarters is showing it.....and I'll be there!

I wish I was there...I'm in the Cocoa Beach area. Maybe next year I can plan a trip up there.

Uncle Rico's Clan
November 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM
I have not been following this thread as closely as I should so if this has been posted I apologize. this link is to a list of the best rivalry nicknames in college football. Check out number 4.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/the_sweep/posts/25524?eref=fromSI

ericsaid
November 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
This game gonna be on t.v.?

ericsaid
November 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
I wish I was there...I'm in the Cocoa Beach area. Maybe next year I can plan a trip up there.

Poor you.

mlbowl
November 21st, 2008, 05:37 PM
Poor you.

I know...I know:)

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2008, 05:37 PM

There are only two Satellite parties in Florida and here is the information ml...

FLORIDA
Pensacola
Seville Quarter – Pool Room
130 E. Government Street
(850) 434-6211
Jeff Neely ‘91
[email protected]

The Villages
Beef O'Brady's Sports Bar **NEW PARTY FOR 2008**
County Road 466A, in Colony Plaza about 1/2 way between Hwy 301 and Hwy 27/441
353 Colony Blvd, Suite 100. Colony Plaza is North of CR466A.
Steve Gamradt '72
352-259-6070 h
612-710-8119 c
[email protected]

If neither of those works for you then maybe you can get a bar with one of the old Birdview style dishes to tune in the game. Here are the coordinates.

Griz-Cat TV coordinates
by: Staff of UM Sports Information
Wednesday, 11/19/2008 Updated: 11/19/2008 5:06 PM

Montana Grizzlies vs. Montana State Bobcats

Saturday, Nov. 22, 2008
Washington-Grizzly Stadium at
John Hoyt Field
Missoula, Montana
Kickoff: 12:05 p.m. (Mountain)

AMC 15
K01 Slot D9
Freq. 11733.5
SR 6.148936
FEC 3/4

NOTE: These are different from the previous few weeks.

Good luck man. If all of that fails then you may be able to watch it on bigskytv.com or try channelsurfing.net. Here is the link:

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM
I'm out until Sunday morning boys...Here's hoping for a great game and a Griz win. I have a great deal of respect for the Cats and their fans but I do hope you are in agaony tomorrow. Better you than me kinda thing going on here. I gotta get downtown and start standing in lines to get into bars so I better get rolling...downtown is gonna look like an ant hill tonight and tomorrow night.

mlbowl
November 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM
There are only two Satellite parties in Florida and here is the information ml...

FLORIDA
Pensacola
Seville Quarter – Pool Room
130 E. Government Street
(850) 434-6211
Jeff Neely ‘91
[email protected]

The Villages
Beef O'Brady's Sports Bar **NEW PARTY FOR 2008**
County Road 466A, in Colony Plaza about 1/2 way between Hwy 301 and Hwy 27/441
353 Colony Blvd, Suite 100. Colony Plaza is North of CR466A.
Steve Gamradt '72
352-259-6070 h
612-710-8119 c
[email protected]

If neither of those works for you then maybe you can get a bar with one of the old Birdview style dishes to tune in the game. Here are the coordinates.

Griz-Cat TV coordinates
by: Staff of UM Sports Information
Wednesday, 11/19/2008 Updated: 11/19/2008 5:06 PM

Montana Grizzlies vs. Montana State Bobcats

Saturday, Nov. 22, 2008
Washington-Grizzly Stadium at
John Hoyt Field
Missoula, Montana
Kickoff: 12:05 p.m. (Mountain)

AMC 15
K01 Slot D9
Freq. 11733.5
SR 6.148936
FEC 3/4

NOTE: These are different from the previous few weeks.

Good luck man. If all of that fails then you may be able to watch it on bigskytv.com or try channelsurfing.net. Here is the link:

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

Thanks ursus...I was really hoping to watch this on tv instead of my usual (the laptop) but it's not looking good right now. We have 5 Beef O'Brady's around here and none of them have directv ch 698xmadx I'm not gonna give up though:) ...I'll carry my laptop from bar to barxnodx

grizband
November 21st, 2008, 06:11 PM
Anyone know who is supplying the feed for Cat/Griz on DirectTV channel 698? Since the game is in Missoula, will it be the local KPAX announcers?

ericsaid
November 21st, 2008, 06:25 PM
I have that channel which is great being in North Carolina, but what time is the game?

GOKATS
November 21st, 2008, 06:51 PM
I have that channel which is great being in North Carolina, but what time is the game?

12:05 Mountain Time

SeattleGriz
November 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Griz 27
Cats 13

CatFan22
November 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM
FTG!!!

uofmman1122
November 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
There's a reason the Montana state flag is Bobcat colors. It's because they felt sorry for you guys. xsmhx

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Cats suck.

bpcats
November 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM
It's because they felt sorry for you guys. xsmhx

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Cats suck.

MSU has always been blue and gold.

Didn't UM actually change their colors from copper and yellow to maroon and silver?

Peems
November 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM

Didn't UM actually change their colors from copper and yellow to maroon and silver?

maroon and silver were the original colors, copper and gold were technically the "new" colors

uofmman1122
November 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM

Didn't UM actually change their colors from copper and yellow to maroon and silver?We were Maroon and Silver from the beginning, but then changed to copper and yellow, before switching back to Maroon and Silver again. I'm sure on the exact dates of the changes, though.

Your new uniforms look a little different, too. Like Navy and gold, instead of the old blueballs blue, and piss yellow. xlolx

CopperCat
November 21st, 2008, 10:16 PM
We were Maroon and Silver from the beginning, but then changed to copper and yellow, before switching back to Maroon and Silver again. I'm sure on the exact dates of the changes, though.

Your new uniforms look a little different, too. Like Navy and gold, instead of the old blueballs blue, and piss yellow. xlolx

Excuse me, but the copper and yellow was alot closer to piss yellow than MSU's yellow ever was.

Behind colorblind AND completely stupid didn't stop you from getting into that school.

uofmman1122
November 21st, 2008, 10:49 PM
Excuse me, but the copper and yellow was alot closer to piss yellow than MSU's yellow ever was.

Behind colorblind AND completely stupid didn't stop you from getting into that school.Considering Bozeman offered me a scholarship (UM did not), apparently they were looking for more of my stupid colorblindness. xlolxxlolxxlolx

Also, knock the Gold and Copper, but if I'm not mistaken, you guys never beat a UM team in those colors.

fencer24
November 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM
When the discussion has come down to the color of urine, this thread is done. Besides, the color of urine depends on the amount of beer you drink. And in the spirit of loving our poor relatives to the East, I plan on drinking a lot of beer just so I can piss in their honor.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2008, 10:52 PM
How is this not in smack already. I'm shocked! xeekx Please go on!

xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx

Ronbo
November 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM

Up till 1967 the spirit colors for Montana were maroon and silver. Then we hired an assistant coach from Texas for HC named Jack Swarthout and he decides we would look better in burnt orange. Don't know how he talked the Administration into it but he did. I've seen pre 1967 pics in the maroon and silver jerseys.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM
How is this not in smack already. I'm shocked! xeekx Please go on!

xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx

I guess maybe because it's starting to look like the thread should? :D

Wyoming has to have the worst colors though, urine and feces....boy o boy.

uofmman1122
November 21st, 2008, 10:57 PM
Up till 1967 the spirit colors for Montana were maroon and silver. Then we hired an assistant coach from Texas for HC named Jack Swarthout and he decides we would look better in burnt orange. Don't know how he talked the Administration into it but he did. I've seen pre 1967 pics in the maroon and silver jerseys.Argh...1967. I concede my last statement about Bobcats never beating teams in Copper and Gold.

Bobcats - 1
Grizzlies - 2876

xlolx

barechestcat
November 21st, 2008, 11:16 PM
Argh...1967. I concede my last statement about Bobcats never beating teams in Copper and Gold.

Bobcats - 1
Grizzlies - 2876

xlolx

I believe the Griz were beat several times by Sonny Holland teams in the '70's along with others (1984 team won).
I'm out 'til tomorrow night. Early drive over and then back after the game. I'm looking for the same kind of hard hitting game that took place there two years ago, just with a different outcome this time.

El Griz
November 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
To the bobcat fan that predicted throwback uniforms back on page 2. You sir are correct, and you will see them in less then 3 hours. Going to be wierd seeing those uniforms without Dave Dickenson.

Grizalltheway
November 22nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Just in case any AGSers want to catch the game...

http://www.bigskytv.org/

Peems
November 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Uh the Griz won FYI :D

uofmman1122
November 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
To the bobcat fan that predicted throwback uniforms back on page 2. You sir are correct, and you will see them in less then 3 hours. Going to be wierd seeing those uniforms without Dave Dickenson.Dude...

I'm certainly NOT a Bobcat fan. xmadx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I will take the props and say that I totally called it! xrulesx

Silenoz
November 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I'm sensing a blowout. Griz roll~

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
~

Update that sig silenozxnodx