PDA

View Full Version : Montana vs. Montana State

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Someone give me the scouting report...what are MSU's chances in this one?? I for one am hoping for a bobcat win so that it will diminish the chances of my eagles having to play at Washington Grizzly (nothing against your stadium except, well, it's kind of hard to win there) in the playoffs.

GrizRick
November 13th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Montana's offense has stalled the last couple of weeks, and that is MSU's best chance at picking up a win. Not all that likely that MSU'll get it done, though. Montana's defense has been on fire: 4 interceptions yesterday. Turnover margin for the year is, I believe, at +13. Offense seems to play to the level of the competition. MSU looked its best losing to Oklahoma State 15-10. After that, none of their wins were convincing; they depend on their QB, Travis Lulay, to carry them. Despite all the props he gets, his overall win/loss record is not all that impressive. They have little in the way of a run game, and the Griz have been great at stopping the run all year, so MSU will probably have to depend on its passing game ... and the Griz pass defense has improved steadily through the year. Montana has the clear edge on defense and special teams. I'll give the edge to MSU on offense, but defense wins the big games.

DaGriz
November 13th, 2005, 01:13 PM
This game could easily go either way, we can't stop the pass they can't stop the run. Who ever executes better will win this game. The only I-AA team we have faced with a passing attack like MSU is EWU and they took us to the wood shed. I thought if it turned into a shootout we wouldn't be able to keep up but then PSU kept up with a defunct passing game that runs first. Field position, execution and turnovers will win this game.

JALMOND
November 13th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Someone give me the scouting report...what are MSU's chances in this one?? I for one am hoping for a bobcat win so that it will diminish the chances of my eagles having to play at Washington Grizzly (nothing against your stadium except, well, it's kind of hard to win there) in the playoffs.

The key for the Bobcats is trying to stop Hilliard. They could not slow Rubin for Portland State and I don't know how they can slow Hilliard down. The other side, the Bobcats have Lulay and about the only way to beat Lulay is making sure you have the ball last. Both teams could easily score 50+ points in this game, not that the defenses are bad (both are actually pretty good), but because of the explosiveness of the offenses. One advantage the Cats have is the game is in Bozeman. Cats have been playing well at home (home team has done well throughout the conference) and the Griz have been suspect on the road. One thing for sure, it is always a great game to watch.

DaGriz
November 13th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Both teams could easily score 50+ points in this game, not that the defenses are bad (both are actually pretty good), but because of the explosiveness of the offenses.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but calling our offense explosive right now is kind of a stretch. I also don't know about easily scoring 50. We haven't scored 50 yet this year.

Cats have been playing well at home (home team has done well throughout the conference) and the Griz have been suspect on the road.

Cats have played well at home, true. We only have one loss on the road this year and that's to Oregon.

Hansel
November 13th, 2005, 01:58 PM
does EWU get the auto if MSU wins?

Bronco
November 13th, 2005, 02:03 PM
does EWU get the auto if MSU wins?

yes...they have the tie breakers.

Hansel
November 13th, 2005, 02:10 PM
yes...they have the tie breakers.
Yikes, EWU could very well be 6-5 (play at UC Davis next weekend) and get the BSC autobid if the Griz were to lose

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Cats have been playing well at home (home team has done well throughout the conference) and the Griz have been suspect on the road. One thing for sure, it is always a great game to watch.

I'm not sure why people always say this. I would be willing to bet the Griz have one of the best records on the road in the last 10 years than most of I-AA. Montana's only road loss this year is at Oregon (who could be in the Fiesta Bowl by the way) and none of their road wins have been close (@ ISU, 32-10, @ NAU 23-0, @ Sac St 31-14).

Obviously though playing in Bozeman will be very tough. If the Griz can get the ball first, keep Lulay off the field, and Lex Hilliard run the ball down their throats they should be ok. The Griz were able to effectively shut down Lulay last year with a young defense that is not as good as this year's, but Ochs also picked the Cats apart, a weapon that is absent from the Griz this year.

I would say out of all the years of Griz-Cat, a score for this one is the toughest to predict ever.

elkmcc
November 13th, 2005, 02:48 PM
The Cats had a lot of wind taken out of their sails yesterday losing to EWU and my guess is it will be difficult for them to get up for Montana to the extent they will need to beat the Griz. It is a repeat of what happened last year but but it appears this year the Cats have zero chance of getting into the playoffs, beating the Griz or not. I think if things were reversed and the Griz were out of the playoff hunt, a win over the Cats this week would be next to impossible for the Griz to pull off. This has got to be a big downer for Travis Lulay and Mike Kramer and I must admit I feel for them.

Montana's weaknesses are the Cats strengths but the Griz have depth, Lex Hilliard, and probably its best overall defense in 10 years to its advantage. After being on the road for 2 weeks being back in Montana will feel like being at home. Bad weather will favor Montana both because of their running game and because the majority of its players are Montanans.

I wish both the Montana teams could make it to the playoffs this year but the Griz will make the better representitive.

All of I-AA should feel lucky that Eric Meyer and Company will not be participating in the playoffs this year.

Watch out I-AA because the road to Chattanooga goes right through Missoula this year.

OL FU
November 13th, 2005, 02:50 PM
The Cats had a lot of wind taken out of their sails yesterday losing to EWU and my guess is it will be difficult for them to get up for Montana to the extent they will need to beat the Griz. It is a repeat of what happened last year but but it appears this year the Cats have zero chance of getting into the playoffs, beating the Griz or not. I think if things were reversed and the Griz were out of the playoff hunt, a win over the Cats this week would be next to impossible for the Griz to pull off. This has got to be a big downer for Travis Lulay and Mike Kramer and I must admit I feel for them.

Montana's weaknesses are the Cats strengths but the Griz have depth, Lex Hilliard, and probably its best overall defense in 10 years to its advantage. After being on the road for 2 weeks being back in Montana will feel like being at home. Bad weather will favor Montana both because of their running game and because the majority of its players are Montanans.

I wish both the Montana teams could make it to the playoffs this year but the Griz will make the better representitive.

All of I-AA should feel lucky that Eric Meyer and Company will not be participating in the playoffs this year.

Watch out I-AA because the road to Chattanooga goes right through Missoula this year.

From everything I have read about the rivalry on this board, I have a hard time believing MSU will not be "up" for the Grizzlies.

mlbowl
November 13th, 2005, 03:44 PM
From everything I have read about the rivalry on this board, I have a hard time believing MSU will not be "up" for the Grizzlies.

You are correct......It's the 'Brawl of The Wild'.......anything goes

grizband
November 13th, 2005, 03:48 PM

If MSU beats the Griz, then EWU wins the auto-bid for the playoff, as they hold the tie breaker (beating both teams).

GrizRick
November 13th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence but calling our offense explosive right now is kind of a stretch. I also don't know about easily scoring 50. We haven't scored 50 yet this year.

You must not be counting our 55-0 win over Fort Lewis.

DaGriz
November 13th, 2005, 09:10 PM
You must not be counting our 55-0 win over Fort Lewis.

No, I'm not. ;)

JALMOND
November 15th, 2005, 03:09 AM

Cats have played well at home, true. We only have one loss on the road this year and that's to Oregon.

Portland State's game against the Cats was very explosive. Both teams ended up above 40 and could have been above 50 as well. Ironically, both defenses really did not do too bad. Hilliard is similar to Rubin, but the Griz have a much better passing attack than we had. You can also bet that Lulay will not go down without a fight. A punt return here, a kick return there and both could be around 50. Not out of the question.

eagle1
November 15th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Go Bobcats!!! I think that this will be a very good game. I think that they match up really well and I look for Lulay to rebound and have a good game. This game could easily go either way. Best of luck to both teams but all Eagle fans are rooting for the Bobcats in this one. Go Eagles!!!

Cap'n Cat
November 15th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Cap'n Cat's heart says Griz, but his humongous brain says 'Cats.

What should He do????

http://www.farsight.net.nz/images/vicpc.JPG
"Griz? Cats? Griz? Cats? Griz? Cats?

:D

Bronco
November 15th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Who would Jesus Bomb?
The crummy stadium in Bozeman.
The most asked question by Griz fans in end zone seats will be "what happened?"
Was that Lex that scored?

http://www.anhsbaseball.com/2005Season/Images/Bleachers.JPG

Ivytalk
November 15th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Cap'n Cat's heart says Griz, but his humongous brain says 'Cats.

What should He do????

http://www.farsight.net.nz/images/vicpc.JPG
"Griz? Cats? Griz? Cats? Griz? Cats?

"I'd while away the hours
Consortin' with the flowers..." -- The Scarecrow

Cap'n Cat
November 15th, 2005, 03:09 PM
"I'd while away the hours
Consortin' with the flowers..." -- The Scarecrow

"...and though the Griz aren't winnin',

The Cap'n, he'd be grinnin',

if he only had a brain."

http://pfaliu.free.fr/Images/Oz.scarecrow

:D :D :D :D

Proud Griz Man
November 15th, 2005, 03:28 PM
"...and though the Griz aren't winnin',

The Cap'n, he'd be grinnin',

if he only had a brain."

http://pfaliu.free.fr/Images/Oz.scarecrow

Me thinks you are not funny.
Get your ass out of Oz.

Cap'n Cat
November 15th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Me thinks you are not funny.
Get your ass out of Oz.

....and to Mizzooler, I imagine, PGM?

Come what may, Cap'n Cat and D1B will be keeping an eye on the playoffs and will make a return trip to your town, if at all possible.

VictorG
November 15th, 2005, 03:41 PM
....and to Mizzooler, I imagine, PGM?

Come what may, Cap'n Cat and D1B will be keeping an eye on the playoffs and will make a return trip to your town, if at all possible.

You can bring that "thing" you call a football team with you if you want! :D :D :D :D

What, to much?? :p Wrong board? Just joshing. Good Luck in the playoffs. See you in Missoula. You won't have to buy ice for the beer this time! :cool:

Cap'n Cat
November 15th, 2005, 04:03 PM
You can bring that "thing" you call a football team with you if you want! :D :D :D :D

What, to much?? :p Wrong board? Just joshing. Good Luck in the playoffs. See you in Missoula. You won't have to buy ice for the beer this time! :cool:

Hide your Griz jacket so I don't steal it this time, Vic!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ngineer
November 15th, 2005, 10:13 PM
While I normally root for the underdog, I think an MSU beating Montana would be horrible with the result of EWU going to the playoffs. Yes, they were a preseason darling, but they have failed to show they belong in the national championship series. There is a real possibility UCD beats EWU Saturday and a 6-5 representative just looks bad, because on top of the record, some of the losses were bad.

Proud Griz Man
November 16th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Unconfirmed rumor that young Griz DB Chris Clark suffered a broken leg bone in yesterday's practice. He was splitting time at CB with Kevin Edwards, and returning kickoffs. :(

GrizFoo
November 16th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Clark did break his leg or ankle. And he was improving upon his already good coverage skills. He was right with Jimmy Wilson on coverage, and was lighting guys up with his hitting ability. For a guy weighing 175 lbs, and legs as skinny as I've ever seen in I-AA, he can really deliver a blow.
We'll miss him against the cats, specially considering they should come out slinging the ball quite a bit.
Edwards is great in zone, but has lost something in his man cover skills. Could be he got a bit too big or something.
The Griz win regardless of injuries, and will do it again.

VictorG
November 16th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Hide your Griz jacket so I don't steal it this time, Vic!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The only Griz jacket I have left is a big HEAVY one and I'll be wearing it, not foolishly setting it down somewhere! If you come again this time of year you'll be in your coveralls again. And Pols will still be in shorts! I'd get him coveralls for Christmas but he'd probably cut the pants legs off! :)

Cap'n Cat
November 16th, 2005, 11:09 AM
The only Griz jacket I have left is a big HEAVY one and I'll be wearing it, not foolishly setting it down somewhere! If you come again this time of year you'll be in your coveralls again. And Pols will still be in shorts! I'd get him coveralls for Christmas but he'd probably cut the pants legs off! :)

That old buzzard! Does he make is gf wear shorts to these games, too??

VictorG
November 16th, 2005, 11:19 AM
That old buzzard! Does he make is gf wear shorts to these games, too??

I don't know. I've never seen her without her long pants! :D (Wish I could say the same about Pols! :eek: )

eagle1
November 16th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I love it when you eastcoasters (especially Patriot and A-10) try to be experts on the teams in the west. If Lehigh played in the Big Sky they would have lost to everyone but Sac State and NAU this year. So spare me your dribble about what a shame it would be for EWU to be in the playoffs with their so called terrible losses. Just ask Montana, Montana State, and PSU fans if they think EWU is not a quality team for consideration. It is a shame that the Big Sky Conference, the top conference in the country in the GPI, may only get one team in the playoffs. That speaks to just how balanced the Big Sky is this year. Go Bobcats!!! and Go Eagles!!!

Wellington
November 16th, 2005, 12:08 PM
EWU is the best Big Sky team imo, theres really no teams in the Big SKy conference that can match EWU's passing attack. BTW, im a griz fan... They defenitely deserve to be in the playoffs, even though they have a few losses that are surprising.

Cap'n Cat
November 16th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I love it when you eastcoasters (especially Patriot and A-10) try to be experts on the teams in the west.

Amen to that, eagzie. They never read a single story about a Big Sky or Great West (or even Gateway) team all year, then profess to be Lee Corso about it all. Their expertise ends at the Ohio River.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cap'n Cat
November 16th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I don't know. I've never seen her without her long pants! :D (Wish I could say the same about Pols! :eek: )

Don't you remember when Pols lost ALL his pants at the brewery?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Eaglegus2
November 16th, 2005, 01:39 PM
BTW, is the Montana v. Montana State game on tv? I am planning a viewing party at home to watch the game if it is on tv.

Lots of good food and plenty to drink.

Cap'n..............have you tried any of the recipes from the cookbook?

Look at the recipes for alcoholic drinks in the back........awesome!!!

If anyone wants to buy the cookbook? There is a section in the back where they can be ordered.

Cap'n Cat
November 16th, 2005, 02:00 PM
BTW, is the Montana v. Montana State game on tv? I am planning a viewing party at home to watch the game if it is on tv.

Cap'n..............have you tried any of the recipes from the cookbook?

Look at the recipes for alcoholic drinks in the back........awesome!!!

If anyone wants to buy the cookbook? There is a section in the back where they can be ordered.

Saw that, Jimmy! May do some Xmas shopping with you!!

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

See if Ralph will let you post something about the book along with the order form. No AGSr should be without one. Wonder if Pols or Grizo would like that for Xmas........

:p :p :p :) :) :)

mlbowl
November 17th, 2005, 07:37 AM
I am planning a viewing party at home to watch the game if it is on tv.

Eg2, Wish I could be there :nod:

VictorG
November 17th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Don't you remember when Pols lost ALL his pants at the brewery?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's what I was referring to! Shame on you! :D

Eaglegus2
November 17th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Eg2, Wish I could be there :nod:

If you hadn't got so drunk the last time you were here; you would remember the directions.

BTW, make sure you have plenty of gas if blueballs does the driving. ;) I still cannot believe you guys didn't stay overnight here. :( We had plenty of room.

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 09:00 AM
If you hadn't got so drunk the last time you were here; you would remember the directions.

BTW, make sure you have plenty of gas if blueballs does the driving. ;) I still cannot believe you guys didn't stay overnight here. :( We had plenty of room.

Gus,
If'n blueballs is drivin', pick yerself up one of these and make him walk that line!

http://www.cityscoot.com/images/breathalyzer.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

mlbowl
November 17th, 2005, 11:42 AM
BTW, make sure you have plenty of gas if blueballs does the driving. ;)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

DuckDuckGriz
November 17th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Damn I hate you guys.

I need to be in the midst of this thing. The Civil War is a bore compared to the Brawl!!!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 17th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I love it when you eastcoasters (especially Patriot and A-10) try to be experts on the teams in the west. If Lehigh played in the Big Sky they would have lost to everyone but Sac State and NAU this year. So spare me your dribble about what a shame it would be for EWU to be in the playoffs with their so called terrible losses. Just ask Montana, Montana State, and PSU fans if they think EWU is not a quality team for consideration. It is a shame that the Big Sky Conference, the top conference in the country in the GPI, may only get one team in the playoffs. That speaks to just how balanced the Big Sky is this year. Go Bobcats!!! and Go Eagles!!!

Hahahaha, damn straight. Big Sky has the most depth of players and strength of teams than any other conference in the nation. Any team in the BSC (with the exception of NAU and Sac State this year) can beat any other team on a given day. This season has proven it:

Montana beat Weber State
EWU beat Montana
Weber State beat EWU
Portland State Beat MSU
EWU beat Portland State
MSU beat ISU
ISU beat EWU
NAU beat ISU
EWU beat NAU
PSU beat Weber State
EWU beat PSU
etc, etc

The committee looks not only at the win/loss records for the teams in consideration of the playoffs, but also their strength of schedule; I'd argue the Big Sky has the hardest schedule because most all the teams are power houses, and so are some of the other teams in neighboring conferences, such as Cal Poly in the Great Western. I'd sure like to see Lehigh beat Montana in Missoula in front of 23,000+ people before I see them talking smack.

GO EAGS, and GO BOBCATS!

catbob
November 17th, 2005, 03:56 PM
So, what you do to other Payton candidates:

Spear them
Kick them in the face when they are on the ground

DuckDuckGriz
November 17th, 2005, 04:00 PM
So, what you do to other Payton candidates:

Spear them
Kick them in the face when they are on the ground

My favorite is when they grab their crotch towards the Griz sideline, but that's neither here nor there ;)

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 04:04 PM
http://www.geocities.com/jbunkaaz/GrizAnimGif.gif

Hilarious!!!!!!