PDA

View Full Version : UNI Starters Arrested

turfdoc
November 14th, 2008, 02:48 PM
http://www.kwwl.com/Global/story.asp?S=9351467

Looks like two UNI football players were arrested one for Possession and the other for Intent to Deliver.

Definitely going to change the dynamic of the team. Possible stumble at InSU allowing them to break the streak?

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM
We will not lose to Indiana State even without these two players.

But this may hurt us down the road even though we have pretty good depth at WR.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM
OW!!!!! xeekx

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Here is a different article:

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2008/11/14/news/local/doc491de12a10314689131609.txt

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 14th, 2008, 02:55 PM
man, you gotta wonder why the newspaper puts the address of the suspect/offender in their articles....xnonox

turfdoc
November 14th, 2008, 02:59 PM
man, you gotta wonder why the newspaper puts the address of the suspect/offender in their articles....xnonox

I believe in Iowa it is allowed in drug possession cases.

In fact I always remember them putting the address of offenders in the police blotters. In UNiversity we used to see who got cited for public intox or underage drinking from our neighborhood in the paper. It is part of the official police report and arrest report which is public record.

MaximumBobcat
November 14th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I applaud these young men for their preference of a less dangerous, less addictive, and less physically harmful substance than the other drug of choice (alcohol) that the majority of college football players partake in.

:p :p :p

But seriously. xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I believe in Iowa it is allowed in drug possession cases.

In fact I always remember them putting the address of offenders in the police blotters. In UNiversity we used to see who got cited for public intox or underage drinking from our neighborhood in the paper. It is part of the official police report and arrest report which is public record.

It may be allowed, but I wouldn't think it would be a good thing. Put a sexual predator on there and well, you should see where this is going. Even if it's public record and can be looked up, I don't think the paper should be putting it in there.

JayJ79
November 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I applaud these young men for their preference of a less dangerous, less addictive, and less physically harmful substance than the other drug of choice (alcohol) that the majority of college football players partake in.

:p :p :p

But seriously. xthumbsupx

Heh. I agree.
Smoking pot is stupid and potentially harmful.
But no worse so than getting drunk.

And while I'd prefer to not see any football players in the police blotter,
if they are going to be in there, I'd much rather see them in there for this than for assault or rape as has been the case with other programs.

bandl
November 14th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Well that's just embarassing. How dumb do you have to be to get caught with pot?

Mountain Panther
November 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Well that's just embarassing. How dumb do you have to be to get caught with pot?

Marijuana use among college athletes is rampant, these guys just happen to get caught.

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 03:18 PM
All-American Johnny Freakin' Gray!!!!!!!!! Man, that is a big loss. Leading receiver, leading returner, playmaker.

Victor Williams!!!!! Another big loss. Second leading receiver.

Not good for UNI.

unialum95
November 14th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Marijuana use among college athletes is rampant, these guys just happen to get caught.

The biggest problem is the intent to deliver. Good riddance and nice knowing you. We'll move on without them. xnonono2x

Receiver is a spot where we have the luxury of depth. I have a feeling some team frustrations will be taken out on the poor trees this weekend.

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Receiver is a spot where we have the luxury of depth.There's no replacing Gray's spark. With Williams that's almost half the receiving yards and receptions for the Panthers.

unialum95
November 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM
All-American Johnny Freakin' Gray!!!!!!!!! Man, that is a big loss. Leading receiver, leading returner, playmaker.

Not good for UNI.

It does hurt but I don't think it is as bad as it appears from outside the program. We still don't use the deep ball much and UNI is smash mouth football. Farley wants to run the ball and control the clock with short passing. We have other talented possession receivers that can take up the slack (I think). A healthy Lewis and stout D and we should be fine. This could be a rallying point for the team.

Look for DJ Hord to become the go to guy in the receivers with Josh Collins and Maurice Turner getting more action.

Jarred Herring has outshined Gray on kickoffs much of the year. Punt returns are one area that I am not sure of at this point.

JayJ79

Not good for UNI.

It certainly hurts.
But UNI has pretty good depth at wide receiver, so I don't think the loss of those two will be devastating.

Gray is done for the year, I'm sure.
But I have to wonder if Williams could get by with a two-game suspension.
But Coach Farley will probably kick him off the team to set a tough example.

Mountain Panther
There's no replacing Gray's spark. With Williams that's almost half the receiving yards and receptions for the Panthers.

Johnny was missing something he had last year, especially on punt returns. Big loss but maybe not as bad as you think.

And Williams was Mr. "five-yard out completed pass." We have a couple other guys that can fill that role, they just have to run their routes right.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Johnny was missing something he had last year, especially on punt returns. Big loss but maybe not as bad as you think.

And Williams was Mr. "five-yard out completed pass." We have a couple other guys that can fill that role, they just have to run their routes right.

I love how All-Americans become role players once they're caught with drugs. Maybe in the eyes of deluded fans, perhaps.

UNI fans should just rejoice about the fact that their replacements will have 2 JV games before the playoffs before they have to be ready.

DOME
November 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I know you have to do something pretty big/stupid to draw the attention needed for a search warrant in those parts...
They don't bother your for smoking a bowl in your house...why do some athletes think they have to be breaking the law to look/be cool? Idiots...hopefully farley lets Williams back for the playoffs but cans Gray. If I had my choice I'd pull his scholly too!

Mountain Panther
November 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=Lehigh Football Nation;1206743]I love how All-Americans become role players once they're caught with drugs. Maybe in the eyes of deluded fans, perhaps.QUOTE]

The thing is, he wasn't playing like an All-American before he got caught, so this isn't a huge loss.

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM
The thing is, he wasn't playing like an All-American before he got caught, so this isn't a huge loss.Leading receiver and leading returner isn't a big loss? xeekx xeekx

I agree Farley should can them both for good unless they are exonerated.

UNI Pike
November 14th, 2008, 04:06 PM
If there was one position were overly deep was WR. IF these cornerbacks, people would be freaking out.

Mountain Panther
November 14th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Leading receiver and leading returner isn't a big loss? xeekx xeekx

In my opinion no, not at this point in the season.

joecooll6
November 14th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I love how All-Americans become role players once they're caught with drugs. Maybe in the eyes of deluded fans, perhaps.

UNI fans should just rejoice about the fact that their replacements will have 2 JV games before the playoffs before they have to be ready.

I disagree. Johnnys play has been disappointing this year. If you followed the Panthers closely youd know that. This isnt the first time people have talked about it, its been a pretty big topic this year for Panther fans.

JoeNeck90
November 14th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I know were out of the playoffs, but hows this for a hit.

http://www.wgem.com/Global/story.asp?S=9350745&nav=menu1354_4

UNI Pike
November 14th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Stealing pillows? xconfusedx

Step your game up

PantherRob82
November 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM

Not good for UNI.

I believe Freshman Jerred Herring is our top returner. Johnny was lost something this year. Look for Herring and fellow FR Josh Collins to step into this role.

Victor Williams has been a great possesion WR. DJ Hord from Notre Dame has stepped up the last couple games and will most likely fill this gap.

Mountain Panther
November 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Stealing pillows? xconfusedx

Step your game up

I suppose it's better than BITING the pillow, if you know what I mean.

griz8791
November 14th, 2008, 04:32 PM
At least they didn't shoot, taze, or beat anybody.

achrist70
November 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I really think that vic is a bigger loss, he is such a big physical receiver that many can't cover. As for johnny sure he is mr. excitement but he has been trying to hard to make a play take for instance when he got us a a forth and goal at the 46 yard line

joecooll6
November 14th, 2008, 04:47 PM
At least they didn't shoot, taze, or beat anybody.

Glory, Glory Tottenham Hotspur!

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Panther fans were expecting too much from Johnny this year after his big punt return against Indiana State, and the season he had last year.

I really don't think the Panther fans want to believe it is as big of a loss as it really is. Losing your top two receivers is not going to be easy for any team. I know it seems like we have a lot of depth, but there was a reason both of those guys were leading our team in receiving. Vic was so big and had such great hands, and Johnny could pretty much be counted on for at least one big reception per game if not more. This is gonna hurt, maybe not the next two games, but in the playoffs we will miss their experience.

unialum95
November 14th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Panther fans were expecting too much from Johnny this year after his big punt return against Indiana State, and the season he had last year.

I really don't think the Panther fans want to believe it is as big of a loss as it really is. Losing your top two receivers is not going to be easy for any team. I know it seems like we have a lot of depth, but there was a reason both of those guys were leading our team in receiving. Vic was so big and had such great hands, and Johnny could pretty much be counted on for at least one big reception per game if not more. This is gonna hurt, maybe not the next two games, but in the playoffs we will miss their experience.

Of course it hurts, but is not nearly catastrophic as many might believe. If we have a healthy Corey Lewis, the offense will continue to move the ball. We've still got guys who can catch the ball for 5-10 yard gains. This offense isn't built around the receivers. We will be okay.

crunifan
November 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Team wise I think we will be fine.

I'm more concerned about the reputation of our program considering the problems we have had with the past few months. We are no Iowa or Penn State, but we seem to be moving closer in that direction, which bothers me.

Mountain Panther
November 14th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Just as Grace and Lewis are healthy again we lose these two....better put a scare into the other players.

nmatsen
November 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Screwed! We are toast. You guys have to understand that we will not be running the football against a 6 players in the box anymore. Until we can prove that we can throw the ball effectively without these two we will face 7-8 in the box every play. Not having our top two receivers and Pat Grace = Not effective. This will hurt our run game and will dismantle our team. We will not make it out of the first round unless we get northwestern state or something. This is terrible, I don't understand why everyone is so Hugs and Juiceboxes about it.

Engy0
November 14th, 2008, 06:28 PM
without knowing all the facts, intent to deliver could literally mean johnny was on the phone when police arrived. i do think that this is a big loss but I don't think it is catastrophic. I guess we will see tomorrow and next week how the team responds.

TCisMYhero
November 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Intent to deliver means over one ounce and plastic baggies. Nobody would get intent for being on the phone when the police come.

Tribe4SF
November 14th, 2008, 07:35 PM

I don't know how rampant it is, but it certainly goes on. That being said, anyone who makes light of players getting high during the season is just plain ignorant. Dealing? Well I think we can assume that's why there was a warrant.

griz&beer
November 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM
That is to bad. Dumb kids

Chi Panther
November 14th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Screwed! We are toast. You guys have to understand that we will not be running the football against a 6 players in the box anymore. Until we can prove that we can throw the ball effectively without these two we will face 7-8 in the box every play. Not having our top two receivers and Pat Grace = Not effective. This will hurt our run game and will dismantle our team. We will not make it out of the first round unless we get northwestern state or something. This is terrible, I don't understand why everyone is so Hugs and Juiceboxes about it.

LOL....i was going to say something along the same lines...

Especially since Pat Grace doesn't like to throw it....will be interesting. But I have to think that Hord, Schyler, Collins, Turner, Herring can pick it up....

ValleyChamp
November 14th, 2008, 07:46 PM
We will be fine. We have plenty of recievers.

Engy0
November 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Intent to deliver means over one ounce and plastic baggies. Nobody would get intent for being on the phone when the police come.

tell this to a couple of my buddies

JayJ79
November 14th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Leading receiver and leading returner isn't a big loss? xeekx xeekx

I agree Farley should can them both for good unless they are exonerated.

I'm no expert on the legal system, but I highly doubt their court date will be before the end of the year. So even if they are found innocent, it won't be until after the season. And since both of them are seniors...

Personally, I see a marijuana possession charge as about on par with getting a public intox or minor in possession of alcohol charge. And less severe than an OWI/DUI. But I know there are those who seem to consider any contact with pot to be a mortal sin. so yeah, they'll be canned.

JayJ79
November 14th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I suppose it's better than BITING the pillow, if you know what I mean.

I don't believe that pillow biting is illegal in Illinois.
Certainly not anything I'm ever going to try, but still, not illegal.

But stealing pillows is really dumb.

Blue42
November 14th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Cmon now. That's a big stretch. UNI has other receivers who are more than capable of catching the ball. Collins, Hord and Turner can all play. Eyman can make plays. Oordt could step outside and play some WR. Ben Alford can step in. And Farley was already looking to get the ball to Herrig more.

Losing these 2 hurts. But the cupboard is far from bare.

I hope teams do play 8 in the box. If the coaches have confidence in the passing game, we'll make them pay.

achrist70
November 14th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Cmon now. That's a big stretch. UNI has other receivers who are more than capable of catching the ball. Collins, Hord and Turner can all play. Eyman can make plays. Oordt could step outside and play some WR. Ben Alford can step in. And Farley was already looking to get the ball to Herrig more.

Losing these 2 hurts. But the cupboard is far from bare.

I hope teams do play 8 in the box. If the coaches have confidence in the passing game, we'll make them pay.

Has Ben Alford even played a snap, I think (well hope) you mean DJ Hord

DOME
November 15th, 2008, 12:08 AM
We did send a backup QB to WIU and did fine with that...I'm sure the world isn't over. Especially with two softer games to get things in line...

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Has Ben Alford even played a snap, I think (well hope) you mean DJ Hord

I believe Alford has gotten some snaps in. He is a great athlete as well as one of our backup QBs. We looked great in fall camp, and just because he doesn't play as much as Johnny or Victor doesn't mean there's a HUGE dropoff.

achrist70
November 15th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I hope you know something I don't know, he is also the back up punter, however I still think you have to look for Collins,Turner, Herring, Hord,Eyman, and all of our good Tight Ends to step up first. This might be the opportunity someone like Alford needs.

Chi Panther
November 15th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Althought Farley should be pissed.....pregame inteview you could tell really upset and intense.

clenz
November 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Althought Farley should be pissed.....pregame inteview you could tell really upset and intense.Hopefully this translates to the team today, and the rest of the season.

I see us coming out, well the game starts like now, either really flat or really energized. Hopefully it is the latter of the two.

Houndawg
November 15th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I think you'll come out smoking, once you get things hashed out.

Chi Panther
November 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM
7-0 UNI start of second...

Mountain Panther
November 15th, 2008, 12:01 PM

You should write all of our press releases. Really impressive.

ValleyChamp
November 15th, 2008, 01:09 PM

Hehe. Strait up....xcoolx

Chi Panther
November 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Looks like it wasn't out of our system yet.....xoopsx

Syntax Error
November 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I think you'll come out smoking, once you get things hashed out.UNI rolling, burning up the joint, ounce by ounce the better team

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2008, 01:19 PM
With what UNI has on D, they won't need many points today.

newsbreaker
November 15th, 2008, 01:21 PM
UNI wins 28-0 to throw back-to-back shutouts upon on the board, and post their league-record 14th Conference Title.

TCisMYhero
November 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM
1st win post-Johnny & Victor. Sad day in Pantherland.

DuckDuckGriz
November 15th, 2008, 01:38 PM
If I may be BLUNT - UNI looks BLAZING mad today! :D

Syntax Error
November 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
UNI rolling, burning up the joint, ounce by ounce the better team
If I may be BLUNT - UNI looks BLAZING mad today! :Dthey WASTED nothing in SCORING and looked HIGHly motivated

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I'm glad we have all you clowns to keep us up with the buzz.

DuckDuckGriz
November 15th, 2008, 01:49 PM
they WASTED nothing in SCORING and looked HIGHly motivated

Yeah they really got everything HASHed out this week. Just a TOKEn week at the UNI Dome.

JayJ79
November 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM
1st win post-Johnny & Victor. Sad day in Pantherland.

I'm not sad. The team won. And my support lies with the teams, not with individuals.

Would I rather that they hadn't done what they done, and still be on the team? Of course. But they chose to go down that road, so I'm not gonna cry for them.

Panthers win.
I'm happy.

Syntax Error
November 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I'm not sad. The team won. And my support lies with the teams, not with individuals.

Would I rather that they hadn't done what they done, and still be on the team? Of course. But they chose to go down that road, so I'm not gonna cry for them.

Panthers win.
I'm happy.Yeah, Panther fans must be PUFFy chested. On a definite HIGH.

LehighFan11
November 15th, 2008, 02:49 PM
28-0 vs. Indiana St. is very sad. That team either quit or the coaching staff didn't care. Good luck in the playoffs.

DOME
November 15th, 2008, 03:32 PM
At least UNI has shutout a team more recently than September 6th....

TCisMYhero
November 15th, 2008, 03:33 PM
2 in a row in fact.

Chi Panther
November 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM
28-0 vs. Indiana St. is very sad. That team either quit or the coaching staff didn't care. Good luck in the playoffs.

Were you one of the guys who thought ASU ran up the score on Wofford?

I for one did not, and thought Wofford got what they deserved. However UNI doesn't need to hang 50+ points on Indiana State to prove they are good or playoff worthy. If Indiana State was in your conference, they probably wouldn't have this losing streak.....xthumbsupx

TCisMYhero
November 15th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Also....

SteelCurtain
November 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM

You made my point. I was at the UNI game and Lewis is a PLAYER!! without that type of speed watch what happens to the running game. Trust me I have seen it this year at SU. Without a QB that defenses fear or WR people have been selling out to stop the run. Lewis was the best playmaker I have seen since we went Div 1.

SteelCurtain
November 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Obviously I meant Gray..not Lewis..my bad!!

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Obviously I meant Gray..not Lewis..my bad!!

I don't remember Gray doing much against the Bison...

TCisMYhero
November 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM

We will miss Johnny. He was always a threat. And he showed on a few plays that flash of excitement we saw all his career (starting with the PR for TD following a fumble his RS fresh year).

SteelCurtain
November 15th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Wasn't he the guy who held up a poster in on the big screen everytime he made a play?? He ate us up in the first half. If I remember right he has 4 catches for around 80yds.

We couldn't cover him. Everytime he went deep he was open. I know my friends and I got sick of seeing that damn poster he held up..

TCisMYhero
November 15th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Wasn't he the guy who held up a poster in on the big screen everytime he made a play??

That was him.

JayJ79
November 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM

2nd and goal from the 46.

Chi Panther
November 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
2nd and goal from the 46.

LOL

That play along, with the fumble at goal line at SIU and QB Sack Fumble at SIU.....are 3 BAD plays this year.