PDA

View Full Version : Define "quality win"

URMite
November 14th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Most years I look at FBS & 7+ win FCS as quality wins, but should resumes look closer at 8+ wins instead?

I don't think we will or should get in the playoffs at 8-4 (not this year). but we would have an interesting resume 0-1 vs FBS 3-3 vs 7+ win FCS 5-0 vs other FCS

FargoBison
November 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Any FCS team that has 7 DI wins and does not play in the PFL would be my definition of a quality win. Also any FBS win would be quality as well, even Idaho.

ur2k
November 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Mite - I guess you are prognosticating our chances with a loss at W&M. I'll bite.

I think if you look at UR's resume elminating the loss at UVA. An 8-3 FCS-only record would still get serious consideration. Considering wins v Elon (road), Maine, UMASS (road). And a (using a basketball term) 'quality loss' in the final seconds v JMU.

Libertine
November 14th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Should time of the year factor in as well? Case in point: when we beat Youngstown State in September, that was considered a quality win. Unfortunately, that was three quarterbacks and a six-game losing streak ago for them and now they're rated lower than VMI.

ChickenMan
November 14th, 2008, 02:39 PM
For UD in 2008... it's ANY game where the Hens score more points than the opposition... :p

Native
November 14th, 2008, 02:45 PM
For Weber State, historically a mediocre program, I guess any win is a quality win. :D

In the context of this discussion, however, and considering the strength and success of the Big Sky Conference this year, all the Wildcat D1 wins have been quality wins, xnodx with the possible exception of Idaho State. xconfusedx

I don't mind one patsy and one cash game on the schedule from season to season, but I would prefer the patsy to be another FCS team. xsmiley_wix

crusader11
November 14th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Any FCS team that has 7 DI wins and does not play in the PFL would be my definition of a quality win. Also any FBS win would be quality as well, even Idaho.

Ditto.

KAUMASS
November 14th, 2008, 04:36 PM
If you guys go 8-4, and are rated in the top 13 of the GPI, you guys will be in. If you are #13 to #16 in the GPI, you may be on the bubble.

GATA
November 14th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Honestly, I think you have to wait until the season is completely over to label wins as "quality wins."

I would say that any win over a team with at least a .500 record = a quality win worth 1 point.

I would also say that any win or a team that finished the regular season in the top 25 = a quality win worth 2 points.

Then you just add them up and get some type of "quality win total"