PDA

View Full Version : FCS Playoffs (if it was 2010)

danefan
November 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I posted this in a different thread but it faded into obscurity. This is what the playoffs would likely look like if this was 2010:

Here's what it would look like if it was 2010 and there was a 20-team playoff (using LFN's criteria)

First, the 10 Autobids
Big Sky-Weber State*
Big South - Liberty*
CAA-James Madison
MEAC-South Carolina State
MVFC-Northern Iowa-&
NEC - Albany*
OVC-Tennessee State-^
Patriot-Colgate-%
Southern-Appalachian State
Southland-Northwestern State-$

*-officially clinched
&-UNI gets the autobid because they have 6 wins, while SIU and SDSU have only 5. UNI gets credit for having won their extra game so far, though the winner of the SIU-SDSU game this weekend will determine a great deal more for the conference title
^-TSU holds the tiebreakers over UTM and EKU, with those two teams still needing to face one another
%-Colgate holds the tiebreaker over HC because the Raiders beat the higher ranked Lafayette, while HC faces the Leopards this weekend
$-NWState gets the tiebreaker over Texas St and McNeese. NWSt is 1-0 in games amongst the 3, TSU is 1-1, McNeese is 0-1

Now the At-Larges (based on GPI)
1-Montana
2-Villanova
3-Richmond
4-Cal Poly
5-Wofford
6-William & Mary
7-New Hampshire
8-Elon
9-Southern Illinois
10-Furman

Not using the +1 theory because that would include 6 CAA teams (either Maine or UMass would be the +1).

Here's your Field of 20
Albany
Appalachian State
Cal Poly
Colgate
Elon
Furman
James Madison
Liberty
Montana
New Hampshire
Northern Iowa
Northwestern State
Richmond
South Carolina State
Southern Illinois
Tennessee State
Villanova
Weber State
William & Mary
Wofford

Opening Round would likely include the following 8 teams:

Lower ranked AQ's
Albany
Colgate
Liberty
Northwestern State
South Carolina State
Tennessee State

Last in At-larges
Furman
Southern Illinois

I don't dare do the brackets, because it will get really dicey with regionalization.

Looks pretty good to me. Any thoughts? Doesn't water down the field as some people think, does it?

FargoBison
November 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Looks great to me, at least for this year the field wouldn't be watered down at all.

danefan
November 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Looks great to me, at least for this year the field wouldn't be watered down at all.

True. But with the effect of the trickle down of the 85 scholarship limit in FBS, the intro of the Dakota schools as well as good transitional schools like UCA, the newcomers in the CAA (ODU and Goergia State), and the increase of NEC scholarships, I expect the field to be as strong, if not stronger each year.

JoshUCA
November 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Don't forget that in 2010 UCA will be playoff eligible...xthumbsupx

Grabholdofyosef
November 14th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Wouldnt Central Arkansas get SOuthland autobid because I think they would be eligible fopr that in 2010? That makes the field a little stronger i think.

FargoBison
November 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM
True. But with the effect of the trickle down of the 85 scholarship limit in FBS, the intro of the Dakota schools as well as good transitional schools like UCA, the newcomers in the CAA (ODU and Goergia State), and the increase of NEC scholarships, I expect the field to be as strong, if not stronger each year.

We are definitely a growing subdivision, so also I agree that they field should only continue to strengthen.

Saint3333
November 14th, 2008, 02:20 PM
We are definitely a growing subdivision, so also I agree that they field should only continue to strengthen.

No more teams can enter (or leave) until 2012.

danefan
November 14th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Don't forget that in 2010 UCA will be playoff eligible...xthumbsupx

Good point, but changing that puts a wrench in my list because they are highly ranked and aren't likely to be a bottom 8 team. I'll have to figure out what it would look like later on.

appfan2008
November 14th, 2008, 02:55 PM
wow I cant wait for the 20 team field... I think it will be a lot of fun...

FargoBison
November 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
No more teams can enter (or leave) until 2012.

Lamar, Old Dominion, Georgia State...only non-DI or non-NCAA schools can't enter.

danefan
November 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Lamar, Old Dominion, Georgia State...only non-DI or NCAA schools can't enter.

UNC Charlotte also. Although I don't expect them to be up and running before 2013.

Bryant will also be in in 2012.

RabidRabbit
November 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
UNC Charlotte also. Although I don't expect them to be up and running before 2013.

Bryant will also be in in 2012.

As will Bryant's move up mates, UND/USD.

Native
November 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I posted this in a different thread but it faded into obscurity. This is what the playoffs would likely look like if this was 2010:

...Here's your Field of 20
Albany
Appalachian State
Cal Poly
Colgate
Elon
Furman
James Madison
Liberty
Montana
New Hampshire
Northern Iowa
Northwestern State
Richmond
South Carolina State
Southern Illinois
Tennessee State
Villanova
Weber State
William & Mary
Wofford
...Any thoughts? Doesn't water down the field as some people think, does it?

Great job! It sure doesn't water down the field this year! xthumbsupx

Maybe in 2020 we can expand to 32 teams, give the Pioneer an autobid, and give Dayton a shot! xwhistlexxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx