PDA

View Full Version : Would the committee pick SC State over Coastal?

JohnStOnge
November 13th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Now THAT would be bad if it both teams win their final games and it comes down to it. Then you'd have a team with a 10-1 record sitting home while a team it beat on the road gets in at 9-2.

In 1999 Elon and Furman both finished 9-2. Furman finished in a three way tie with Georgia Southern and Appalachian State but (I think) went in as an at large. Elon had beaten Furman on the road during the regular season but stayed home. So I know we've had a situation where two teams finished with the SAME record and the one that won the season head to head got left out due to schedule strength. Elon also finished that year 2-1 against teams that did make the tournament.

rokamortis
November 13th, 2005, 07:51 AM
I think that logic dictates CCU would be in over SC State - but who knows what the committee will do? If we win next Saturday there will be some very anxious people at the beach on Selection Sunday.

thirdgendin
November 13th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Now THAT would be bad if it both teams win their final games and it comes down to it. Then you'd have a team with a 10-1 record sitting home while a team it beat on the road gets in at 9-2.

In 1999 Elon and Furman both finished 9-2. Furman finished in a three way tie with Georgia Southern and Appalachian State but (I think) went in as an at large. Elon had beaten Furman on the road during the regular season but stayed home. So I know we've had a situation where two teams finished with the SAME record and the one that won the season head to head got left out due to schedule strength. Elon also finished that year 2-1 against teams that did make the tournament.

John,
I looked on the Furman website, and Furman actually DID get the automatic bid that year after winning a "blind draw." Here's the link to the article: Furman defeats UTC (http://facweb.furman.edu/athletics/football/seasons/1999/press%20releases/UTCGame.html) .

JohnStOnge
November 13th, 2005, 09:03 AM
John,
I looked on the Furman website, and Furman actually DID get the automatic bid that year after winning a "blind draw." Here's the link to the article: Furman defeats UTC (http://facweb.furman.edu/athletics/football/seasons/1999/press%20releases/UTCGame.html) .

Ok. That's the closest thing I could think of as a possible precedent. I think Furman would've been in in any case at 9-2 out of the Southern. But to this day I think Elon should've been in too.

thirdgendin
November 13th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Ok. That's the closest thing I could think of as a possible precedent. I think Furman would've been in in any case at 9-2 out of the Southern. But to this day I think Elon should've been in too.

I agree re: Elon. I wonder how a playoff berth would've changed the fortunes of their program into the future. It's definitely in shambles now.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Elon was really 7-2 since their schedule included two Div-II schools. Beat one D-2 by only 4 pts at home in Burlington.
Furthermore one of the schools was non-scholly Morehead.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Even with the two D-2's and the non-scholly?

JohnStOnge
November 13th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Even with the two D-2's and the non-scholly?

Yes. They beat two conference champions, Furman and North Carolina A&T. They beat North Carolina A&T 40-7. They were 2-1 against playoff teams.

Lehigh and Northern Arizona each got in despite each going 0-1 against the one playoff team each played. Elon finished ranked higher in the Sagarin ratings than both.

Florida A&M got in at 8-3 in spite of being 0-2 against playoff teams, including a 30-15 loss to the North Carolina A&T team Elon blew out.

The Rattlers did end up with a higher Sagarin power rating, but my bet would be that Elon was higher rated than Florida A&M before the playoffs started.

Florida A&M ended up doing pretty well in the playoffs...reaching the semifinals. But as of the end of the regular season Elon had had the more impressive performance.

I also think the committee puts too much emphasis on what Division an opponent is in. I think North Alabama and New Haven, though DIIs, were better teams than some of the I-AA opponents played by Lehigh and Florida A&M for sure and probably by Northern Arizona as well.

All water under the bridge. I do think the point you raise is valid in that playing Division IIs does hurt as far as the committee is concerned. I don't agree with the approach of automatically considering any DII to be weaker than any I-AA, but that's what they do.

JALMOND
November 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM
SC State would not get in over Coastal. They have a less amount of wins (provided Coastal beats Charleston So.) and Coastal owns a victory over SC State. Because of the loss to Coastal, SC State would (my opinion) need one more win than Coastal. Coastal at 9-1 right now with one to play and SC State at 8-2 with one to play, that won't happen.

Can't see SC State getting in over Coastal.