PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Paths to the Postseason

CSN-info
November 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-paths-to-the-postseason&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/CSNWay.JPG

With the exception of the Ivy League, you can divide every team in Football Championship subdivision into two types: those who are still looking for a path to the postseason, and those who are already looking to next year.

It’s the time of year where fans of Jacksonville State are frantically looking at the upcoming schedules of Liberty and Cal Poly. It’s when fans of South Dakota State start becoming very, very big fans of Indiana State. It’s the time of year for thermonuclear scenarios, counting Division I wins, and combing over the GPI.

Anyone who can still smell the postseason is looking for a way in, searching. Well, fans, look no further. Your paths to the postseason are right here.

Plus his Chuckles picks! Alright! xthumbsupx

appst97
November 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM
not sure Elon holds us to 32; not sure we hold Elon to 26

App 42 Elon 26.5

Dane96
November 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Chuck, we happily will be playing the GIC in Albany no matter who wins the PFL.

It is a rotation...and the NEC champ hosts.

OL FU
November 14th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Nice write up again and the effort is appreciated. xthumbsupx

If I read the Southland part correctly, it seems like the auto bid is it. No real at large possibility. Did I read it correctly?

Anything is possible but I don't see the PL getting two bids this year, even with the Leopard's record, unless the rest of the FCS world falls apart or the committee decides not to think and simply says "ah 9-2 let 'em in". Best out of conference win for the entire conference is Liberty and no offense to the Flames but I am not sure how much that says.

xtwocentsx

Dane96
November 14th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I dont even think one team from the PL should get in this year.

I am just sayin.......

Grizzaholic
November 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Glad he picked the Griz to win this weekend.

Grizaholic17
November 14th, 2008, 12:55 PM
As for the Big Sky Playoff pictures...he said Montana State had a very outside chance...but we'll just rule them out. No offense cats, but this year is not your year.

And for Weber and Montana, they said Montana had a very outside shot at a seed, when I believe they are even with weber for now. We'll see how that plays out.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Nice write up again and the effort is appreciated. xthumbsupx

If I read the Southland part correctly, it seems like the auto bid is it. No real at large possibility. Did I read it correctly?

Anything is possible but I don't see the PL getting two bids this year, even with the Leopard's record, unless the rest of the FCS world falls apart or the committee decides not to think and simply says "ah 9-2 let 'em in". Best out of conference win for the entire conference is Liberty and no offense to the Flames but I am not sure how much that says.

xtwocentsx

Only Texas State could become at-large eligible if they win their last two games. The only way they don't win the SLC if they win their last two games is if N'Western State runs the table. If that happens, they'd be somewhere in line, but probably near the back with a loss to Southern Utah. IMO, they're behind NDSU, SDSU and/or Montana State.

I happen to believe that the 'Pards have a better at-large chance than people think. They should be in line ahead of any of the 7 D-I win teams, for starters - and especially ahead of Liberty, who is also in this mix.

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM
xsmileyclapx

Dominating Dukes 34, Toppled Tribe 27
Poly Stampeders 63, Trambled Trombettas 12
Purple Passion 59, Chopped Trees 0
Haucked up 47, Bungled Up 12
Ventrone’s Vanguards 27, Tiggers 0
Symbiotes 37, Jabbie Wockies 3
Dog Walkers 27, Bulldog Bulldozers 24
Luxor-Ious Dogs 27, Rabbit-Flavored Chew Toys 22
Coen Owns Cowell 27, Toman Can’t Solve Minutemen 17
Sorrells’ Sultans 28, Henton’s Harrassers 27
Future Southland Champions 66, “It Can’t be Moses Alone” 14
Swamp Gas 28, Lake Effect Tod 24
About Time, Buddy 37, Not-So-Super Mario’s 6
Huge Heffner’s 41, Perriloux’s A Year Away 30
Red Death 38, Toasted Quakers 21
Carrier Pigeons, Sky Species 49, Carrier Pigeons, Red Species 10
Man-Eating Killing Machines 30, Also-Rams 3
Brock Stars 34, Pesky Peoples 23
Leather Pants 32, Crimson Birds 16
Big Day for Purple 31, Lunchpail Leopards 13
The Best A&M In Texas 34, Canned Alcorn 10
Colonel… Bunch? 34, Bobbed Cats 27
Bison Hopes? 37, Not Exactly the Show-Me State 3
I am McLeod of the Clan McLeod 17, Tamed Tigers 9
Kerwin’s Fish 37, Drake’s Relays 7
Please Let Justice Prevail 21, Bulldogs Will Win Again in ‘09 19
No. 11 Elon at No. 2 Appalachian State - read it

xlolx

KAUMASS
November 14th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Found this strange: (bold captions)

Weber State (7-0 Big Sky, 9-2 overall)
Game Remaining: Eastern Washington (4-5)

The Wildcats have clinched the autobid by virtue of their head-to-head win over Montana, so they are already in the playoffs. If they beat Eastern Washington next weekend, at 10-2 they will be a candidate for a seed - though their two wins over sub-D-I programs could potentially hurt them, as could their lack of a quality win aside from the Montana game.
Montana (6-1 Big Sky, 9-1 overall)
Games Remaining: Idaho State (0-10), Montana State (6-4)

With a strong schedule, barring a loss to winless Idaho State the Griz seem like a lock to once again host a first-round playoff game in Washington-Grizzly stadium having already cruised past the 7 D-I win requirement. They have a very outside shot at a seed, though I can’t see the playoff committee choosing them over Weber State, a team that beat them head-to-head.

Last time I checked, the both play in the Big Sky conference. Burton states that Montana has a strong schedule. Montana played a D2 school as well.

Anybody see any bias towards Montana here?

Grizzaholic
November 14th, 2008, 01:13 PM

The Wildcats have clinched the autobid by virtue of their head-to-head win over Montana, so they are already in the playoffs. If they beat Eastern Washington next weekend, at 10-2 they will be a candidate for a seed - though their two wins over sub-D-I programs could potentially hurt them, as could their lack of a quality win aside from the Montana game.

With a strong schedule, barring a loss to winless Idaho State the Griz seem like a lock to once again host a first-round playoff game in Washington-Grizzly stadium having already cruised past the 7 D-I win requirement. They have a very outside shot at a seed, though I can’t see the playoff committee choosing them over Weber State, a team that beat them head-to-head.

Last time I checked, the both play in the Big Sky conference. Burton states that Montana has a strong schedule. Montana played a D2 school as well.

I think you are reading into it a little more than is required.

OL FU
November 14th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Only Texas State could become at-large eligible if they win their last two games. The only way they don't win the SLC if they win their last two games is if N'Western State runs the table. If that happens, they'd be somewhere in line, but probably near the back with a loss to Southern Utah. IMO, they're behind NDSU, SDSU and/or Montana State.

I happen to believe that the 'Pards have a better at-large chance than people think. They should be in line ahead of any of the 7 D-I win teams, for starters - and especially ahead of Liberty, who is also in this mix.

Thanks for clarifying the Southland.

First I probably was a little too strong in my statement on the PL. A 9-2 record is hard to over look and if the CAA and SoCon don't monopolized the at larges, then I could see it.

But for instance, C-poly, Montana, a MVFC leaves 5. Assuming the CAA gets three at larges which doesn't seem unlikely and the SoCon gets 2 which doesn't seem unlikely that only leaves one. And if there is another eligible deserving deserving SoCon or a deserving CAA I could see the Pards sitting at homexnodx

Now certainly I am looking at this a little biased and it could very well not happen. But as you mentioned a three way tie for second in the SoCon is possible with three teams sitting with 3 losses and with one of FU and Wofford's losses being to BCS schools. With that, Lafayette's 9-2 doesn't look quite as strong, especially if, as you mentioned, Colgate is the AQ. xnodx

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Last time I checked, the both play in the Big Sky conference. Burton states that Montana has a strong schedule. Montana played a D2 school as well. Anybody see any bias towards Montana here?No. Weber played 2 non-D-I OOC, Montana didn't (they beat Cal Poly).

Grizaholic17
November 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM
No. Weber played 2 non-D-I OOC, Montana didn't (they beat Cal Poly).

Exactly...we played a top tier team in the D2 league...weber played two flops. We also played Cal Poly and UC Davis.

GOKATS
November 14th, 2008, 02:14 PM
The Bobcats’ 12-game schedule means that they could just get to the 7 D-I requirement with wins over the Vikings and the hated Griz in the “Brawl of the Wild". If the committee starts choosing 8-4 teams with 7 D-I teams, the Bobcats could find themselves on the board - though they would need some serious help to make it into the field.

If the Cats win out they'll still only have 6 DI wins, South Dakota is in the first year of transition to FCS so the win doesn't count as a DI win.

Native
November 14th, 2008, 02:18 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Native
November 14th, 2008, 02:26 PM
No. Weber played 2 non-D-I OOC, Montana didn't (they beat Cal Poly).

For the record, Montana DID play a DII team, Central Washington.

I agree that Montana played a better schedule than Weber State this year, xbowx but not so, so much. xrotatehx

It is noteworthy that Montana did not play a single FBS team. As a Grizz admirer, it is my one disappointment in their football prowess. I would like to see Montana schedule and beat an FBS team every year.

As far as FBS opponents, Weber needs the cash! Playing Hawaii and Utah was good for our team, too. Makes App State and JMU a little less intimidating. The lads think they can beat anyone! xsmiley_wix

I hope Coach Mac adds a non-conference FCS school in 2009, so that we can have two non-conference D1 wins, Wyoming and the non-conference FCS team. I'd rather play SUU than Dixie State, San Diego than Western Montana. xnodx

Native
November 14th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Exactly...weber played two flops. ...

AND Hawaii and #8 Utah.xsmiley_wix

But I agree that Montana played a better schedule.

CrunchGriz
November 14th, 2008, 02:47 PM
For the record, Montana DID play a DII team, Central Washington.

I agree that Montana played a better schedule than Weber State this year, xbowx but not so, so much. xrotatehx

It is noteworthy that Montana did not play a single FBS team. As a Grizz admirer, it is my one disappointment in their football prowess. I would like to see Montana schedule and beat an FBS team every year.

As far as FBS opponents, Weber needs the cash! Playing Hawaii and Utah was good for our team, too. Makes App State and JMU a little less intimidating. The lads think they can beat anyone! xsmiley_wix

I hope Coach Mac adds a non-conference FCS school in 2009, so that we can have two non-conference D1 wins, Wyoming and the non-conference FCS team. I'd rather play SUU than Dixie State, San Diego than Western Montana. xnodx

While I understand that you think the Griz could beat a few of the lower echelon FBS teams, you're ignoring the reality of Montana's situation.

Playing a higher-tier FBS team would potentially net the Griz program around $400-$500 thousand, but would almost certainly net them a loss that would not help them get to the playoffs (and it would undoubtedly be on the road).

Playing a lower-tier FBS would net the university maybe $100-$200 thousand, and it would probably have to be on the road (Idaho being the notable exception, but they don't seem to want to play the Griz any more), and could but may not lead to a win that would help the team make the playoffs.

Playing a non-conference FCS team in Wash-Griz would net around $500 thousand, probably be a win (Montana has around a 7-1 winning ratio at home all-time), and would help them get to the playoffs.

Which of those sounds like the wisest choice to you?

When you can feed the athletic coffers and help your chances of getting into the playoffs, this one's a no-brainer.

Montana is in a nearly unique (App State may also fit) situation on this.

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I agree that Montana played a better schedule than Weber State this year, xbowx but not so, so much.Yes, not so, so much but still much. FBS losses count very little. I see not much a chance that Montana gets a seed over Weber since Weber has the AQ and beat Montana handily. Neither getting a seed is more likely than Montana getting a seed over Weber. xtwocentsx

RabidRabbit
November 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Yes, not so, so much but still much. FBS losses count very little. I see not much a chance that Montana gets a seed over Weber since Weber has the AQ and beat Montana handily. Neither getting a seed is more likely than Montana getting a seed over Weber. xtwocentsx

Weber gets a seed if they have NO FCS LOSSES. If they do have an FCS loss, then they have no leg up on MT, or UNI, Poly, Villanova. End up comparing who lost to the highest rated opponent, and may even consider how close the loss was (which would bode well for Nova).

Native
November 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
While I understand that you think the Griz could beat a few of the lower echelon FBS teams, you're ignoring the reality of Montana's situation.

Playing a higher-tier FBS team would potentially net the Griz program around $400-$500 thousand, but would almost certainly net them a loss that would not help them get to the playoffs (and it would undoubtedly be on the road).

Playing a lower-tier FBS would net the university maybe $100-$200 thousand, and it would probably have to be on the road (Idaho being the notable exception, but they don't seem to want to play the Griz any more), and could but may not lead to a win that would help the team make the playoffs.

Playing a non-conference FCS team in Wash-Griz would net around $500 thousand, probably be a win (Montana has around a 7-1 winning ratio at home all-time), and would help them get to the playoffs.

Which of those sounds like the wisest choice to you?

When you can feed the athletic coffers and help your chances of getting into the playoffs, this one's a no-brainer.

Montana is in a nearly unique (App State may also fit) situation on this.

Understand clearly about the money and such. I was speaking only from the heart. xbowx

Native
November 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Yes, not so, so much but still much. ...xtwocentsx

So, somewhere between "much" and "so, so much." OK! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

KAUMASS
November 14th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I think you are reading into it a little more than is required.

For me, I wasn't reading too much into it. I just got a chuckle out of a FCS reporter that stated Montana had a strong schedule and Weber did not and they may be on the outside looking in because they played 2 D2 programs this year. The reporter put a twist onto it. He did not mention that Montana played a D2 this year, and almost lost, and he also left out that Weber played 2 FBS teams this year. This is a reporter on a major national news outlet that either didn't do his homework or has a woody for Montana.

I am not rediculing Montana's schedule, as you guys have a great program and have a good team (again) this year. I just felt like there was some bias towards Montana as both schools play the same opponents in the Big Sky, and for Burton to say that Montana had a strong schedule and Weber did not didn't sound right.

Maybe it is me, but I just thought it sounded strange when I read it.

Weber and Montana have a good chance of meeting in the playoffs anyhow. Love to see that game happen. Good luck to both teams.xthumbsupx

Ronbo
November 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM

We played Central Washington 10-1 and one of the favorites to knock Grand Valley State off the DII crown. CWU would probably be ranked near or in the top 10 in FCS with 17 PAC 10 transfers.

Native
November 14th, 2008, 04:38 PM
We played Central Washington 10-1 and one of the favorites to knock Grand Valley State off the DII crown. CWU would probably be ranked near or in the top 10 in FCS with 17 PAC 10 transfers.

That's tooooo much Ronbo! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Central Washington had to go into overtime to beat Dixie State! xeyebrowx

Montana played a great schedule! Quit while you're ahead! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Panther88
November 14th, 2008, 04:41 PM
#1, we need to beat Alcorn State.

#2, we need a LOT of teams to lose this upcoming w/e. lol

FCS Playoffs 2008!!!!! xbowx

KAUMASS
November 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM

Weber's 2 FBS games wash out their d2 games. Montana played a strong D2 and Cal Poly. Looks even to me with strength of schedule. I may be missing a game OOC, but I don't feel like looking it up. The reporter made a gaffe in my judgment, that's all.

KAUMASS
November 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Montana didn't want any of those transfers? Sounds like some good players were't picked up by FCS schools in your area. Grades? I know it can't be ethic's, as you guys picked up Quinn.

Ronbo
November 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Our AD says we get over 100 requests for transfer a year. One of the CWU transfers from Washington (JR Hasty, one of the nation's top RB's out of HS) tried to get into UM but didn't have grades so he went DII. I'm sure that happens alot.

Ronbo
November 14th, 2008, 05:03 PM
That's tooooo much Ronbo! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Central Washington had to go into overtime to beat Dixie State! xeyebrowx

Montana playeda great schedule! Quit while you're ahead! xlolx xlolx xlolx

You want to start talking about magin of victory? We are blasting teams that you barely get by. Look out Weber we will take you by 17-20 points if we meet again. Even at your place. Get ready for an early exit and another 10 years before you sniff the playoffs again. xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Weber's 2 FBS games wash out their d2 games. Montana played a strong D2 and Cal Poly. Looks even to me with strength of schedule. I may be missing a game OOC...like maybe Montana beating UC Davis?

Native
November 14th, 2008, 05:27 PM
You want to start talking about magin of victory? We are blasting teams that you barely get by. Look out Weber we will take you by 17-20 points if we meet again. Even at your place. Get ready for an early exit and another 10 years before you sniff the playoffs again. xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx

No, you miss my point. I do not want to start talking about margin of victory. I also do not want to demean UM's very impressive accomplishments, including the Grizz victory over Central Washington.

The point is simply this: You had already won the argument about schedule strength. By trying to make more of your DII opponent than is reasonable by absurdly postulating them to be top ten FCS, you open yourself to ridicule and weaken an argument you had already won.

Even if you were somehow right it's a losing and unnecessary argument and therefore a foolish argument. Take your victory. Forget Central Washington. xpeacex

P.S. Hope to meet you soon, but I'd rather it be in Chattanooga!

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM
...Don't feed the troll.

Native
November 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Don't feed the troll.

Sometimes the trolls will dance for us and entertain us. xsmiley_wix

ericsaid
November 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM
He say's Elon's a young team and that may be true but App is also a very young team. Mark Legree who has 8 picks is a sophomore, the two starting runningbacks are sophomores. Leading reciever is a sophomore, two leading tacklers are a junior and sophomore. A starting cornerback is a freshman and starting tight ends are freshman and a sophomore.

52-28:)

Poly Pigskin
November 15th, 2008, 12:08 AM
He say's Elon's a young team and that may be true but App is also a very young team. Mark Legree who has 8 picks is a sophomore, the two starting runningbacks are sophomores. Leading reciever is a sophomore, two leading tacklers are a junior and sophomore. A starting cornerback is a freshman and starting tight ends are freshman and a sophomore.

52-28:)

Uh, QB is still the most important position on the field, and we all know he's not an underclassman.