PDA

View Full Version : NC Game moving to Jan

apaladin
November 13th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Forgive me if this has been posted but moving the NC to the eve of the BCS championship has gotten final approval. It will start following the 2010 season. Playoffs will still begin the week of Thanksgiving and the semi-finals will be played on campus sites the same weekend as the NC game is played now.

griz37
November 13th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Forgive me if this has been posted but moving the NC to the eve of the BCS championship has gotten final approval. It will start following the 2010 season. Playoffs will still begin the week of Thanksgiving and the semi-finals will be played on campus sites the same weekend as the NC game is played now.

Link?

Syntax Error
November 13th, 2008, 10:15 PM
NCAA server is down but as the other thread said, this was expected...... Chatty on January 5, 2011.... after that we will have to wait to see

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=chattanooga-fcs-final-will-move-to-janua&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

putter
November 13th, 2008, 10:24 PM
hopefully they actually promote that game rather than just say it's that formality before the actual big game. Mistake IMO

jlcharles
November 13th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Horrible horrible decision. The layoff between the regular season and the NC game in FBS is one of the very large reason I detest that level of football.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 13th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Bad move, but I will still follow the Griz and FCS. I'll just have to buy more mallox or pepcid to stomach all the drivel ESPN will put out about the BcS.

Appstate29
November 13th, 2008, 11:07 PM
If they are going to do this can they at least move the first round to after thanksgiving? Very low attendance bc of the holiday.

JayJ79
November 13th, 2008, 11:13 PM
If they are going to do this can they at least move the first round to after thanksgiving? Very low attendance bc of the holiday.

So you want the semifinal games to be after Christmas?

mvemjsunpx
November 13th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I originally thought this was a bad idea, but it might work out. It's not like ESPN will have much else to promote that week since FOX has the BCS title game, so they might try to push the FCS championship more than they do in its current slot.

grizwin
November 13th, 2008, 11:38 PM

The way I figure it only 8 of the 20 playoff teams would play thanksgiving weekend leaving us with 16 the following week. 12 get a bye

Syntax Error
November 13th, 2008, 11:48 PM
The way I figure it only 8 of the 20 playoff teams would play thanksgiving weekend leaving us with 16 the following week. 12 get a byeMy figuring too.

Mntneer
November 14th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Can't decide how I feel about this. On one hand, the big layoff before the NC is kinda lame, but at least it does give folks time to make travel plans, if desired. But mostly I agree with what someone else mentioned in the other thread; that in a way this makes it even more obvious that FCS plays second fiddle to FBS. Almost like the JV game before the big boys come on. xnonono2x

89Hen
November 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
NCAA server is down but as the other thread said, this was expected...... Chatty on January 5, 2011.... after that we will have to wait to see
Didn't sound like that was a inked deal just yet. xpeacex

mtnman
November 14th, 2008, 08:18 AM
bad move i think your better off playing ever weekend,the layoff i think hurts the team.

MCFAN
November 14th, 2008, 08:23 AM
That also impacts the athletes' time off for Christmas and semester breaks. In addition, even though the extra time may allow some injuries to heal "ring rust" can then be a factor.

uofmman1122
November 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM
That also impacts the athletes' time off for Christmas and semester breaks. In addition, even though the extra time may allow some injuries to heal "ring rust" can then be a factor.I don't think that really matters, since it affects both teams.

If you had one semifinal winner play the week before, and the other play a month before, it'd be a big deal, but both Championship teams have to worry about preparing for each other with the same amount of time. It's, in my opinion, the exact same as the first game of the year. Both teams have a long time to prepare for one another.

However, your point about Christmas and New Years is very true. Also, there goes everyone asking for a championship for Christmas, since it's after Christmas now. xlolx:p

appst97
November 14th, 2008, 09:20 AM
There wouldn't be much more of a 'layoff' would there be than from a typical bye week. Just 2 or 3 days at best. It would also give Dayton fans that much longer to make their travel arrangements

unialum95
November 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I originally thought this was a bad idea, but it might work out. It's not like ESPN will have much else to promote that week since FOX has the BCS title game, so they might try to push the FCS championship more than they do in its current slot.

It actually sounds likely that FOX will pass on the BCS. Dan Patrick was reporting yesterday on his radio show that this seems likely and that ABC/ESPN are desperate to buy this. That would make all the talk about the BCS.

I still think in the long run, this is a good move. However, I don't want to watch the game and hear nothing but talk about the game the next night.

MCFAN
November 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I don't think that really matters, since it affects both teams.

If you had one semifinal winner play the week before, and the other play a month before, it'd be a big deal, but both Championship teams have to worry about preparing for each other with the same amount of time. It's, in my opinion, the exact same as the first game of the year. Both teams have a long time to prepare for one another.

However, your point about Christmas and New Years is very true. Also, there goes everyone asking for a championship for Christmas, since it's after Christmas now. xlolx:p

I still think different teams react differently to the layoff. For instance the LSU defense in the title game last year was much stronger than the one that closed out the regular season.

Grizzaholic
November 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Well this is the first step in ruining the playoffs. Great job on whoever voted to approve this. I just went from having a great day to having it trashed.

Franks Tanks
November 14th, 2008, 09:30 AM

This is good. It keeps all of the rivarly games in FCS on rivalry weekend.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 14th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Wow! I really can't believe the negativity.

We ARE second fiddle to the BCS. Deal with it. This does not change that. We have a better system, and you'll hear about that over and over ("Man, can you imagine how great the BCS would be if we had playoffs? blah blah blah), but this will garner so much more attention for the FCS National Title.

Some of the break issues are the only downside I see.

JayJ79
November 14th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Championship football is Championship football.
The move might not be "ideal" in all regards, but then it never is.

I'd hardly say that it "ruins" things.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM
The biggest thing I have noticed over the years of coverage is "The transfer from ________ is such a great player..."

You'll still hear this.

That's one reason I would love to see a JMU v. ASU final. No real superstar transfers to blab about. So many great storylines and players, and transfers have nothing to do with them!

ChooChoo
November 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I like it! Even though Georgia State will be rookies, selling "how'd you like to play in January" angle will be a great recruiting tool. By no means do I anticipate State actually being there for a while, but from a player's perspective, it would be great to be considered one step closer to the "big time".

FargoBison
November 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Once again this was the only option, leaving things as they were gave ADs no flexibility in regards to scheduling and forced players to play 11 consecutive weeks. Starting a week earlier would add more expenses to every program.

Besides those facts this gives fans a chance to make some travel plans and provides more playoff coverage by ESPN. Also I hear people complain constantly about how they cover the game now, so what is the difference if announcers are talking about awards and crap bowls or the BCS title game while televising the game?

Also for those who say it makes us JV in comparison...what do you think sharing our title game with the same weekend as DII and DIII makes us look like?

Proud Griz Man
November 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Horrible horrible decision. The layoff between the regular season and the NC game in FBS is one of the very large reason I detest that level of football.

I agree, plus the players, coaches, athletic staff will have their season extended further. I don't believe that this change will garner much more publicity for FCS football. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

jlcharles
November 14th, 2008, 10:02 AM
The only positive I see is that the FBS schools can't claim the playoffs are bad because of extending the season or whatever nonsense it is that they spew.

Ronbo
November 14th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Really only two teams are affected by the Christmas break issue.

Man, Montana isn't too happy about the change. Each time FCS makes changes that Montana opposes it changes their minds just a wee bit more about the "stay FCS or jump to FBS argument". Start snubbing 11-1 Griz teams for seeds and watch how soon we might announce our move to the next level.

uofmman1122
November 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Once again this was the only option, leaving things as they were gave ADs no flexibility in regards to scheduling and forced players to play 11 consecutive weeks. Starting a week earlier would add more expenses to every program.

Besides those facts this gives fans a chance to make some travel plans and provides more playoff coverage by ESPN. Also I hear people complain constantly about how they cover the game now, so what is the difference if announcers are talking about awards and crap bowls or the BCS title game while televising the game?

Also for those who say it makes us JV in comparison...what do you think sharing our title game with the same weekend as DII and DIII makes us look like?I agree.

Let's see how this works out before trashing it.

uofmman1122
November 14th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Really only two teams are affected by the Christmas break issue.

Man, Montana isn't too happy about the change. Each time FCS makes changes that Montana opposes it changes their minds just a wee bit more about the "stay FCS or jump to FBS argument". Start snubbing 11-1 Griz teams for seeds and watch how soon we might announce our move to the next level.I'm actually happier about it.

That way, we can keep the MSU game the last game of the season. Brawl of the Wild in October would just feel......weird. xsmhx

(Even though I do realize we used to do it that way sometimes.)

MplsBison
November 14th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Hopefully not.

The NC should not be at FCS team's stadium.

Move it to Las Vegas.

appstate1998
November 14th, 2008, 10:14 AM
You really want it moved to the eve of the BCS games so people watching on television see about 10% of the game while the other 90% is video of the announcers discussing the next days BCS game???

FargoBison
November 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM
You really want it moved to the eve of the BCS games so people watching on television see about 10% of the game while the other 90% is video of the announcers discussing the next days BCS game???

How is it any different than the 80% talk about bowls and award shows that we get as it?

yosef1969
November 14th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Good deal for all IMO. With the addition of 4 teams (which is the real debatable issue here) there was no good alternative. Starting the season a week earlier would put a strain on the southern teams and football just doesn't work in August. No bye weeks would mean that the teams participating in the national championship games could conceivable play 16 straight weeks if one of the teams playing on Thanksgiving weekend advanced to the title game.
The issues with the layoff and the effect on the players Christmas break are the only things that can be argued as genuine negatives at all.
The whole being treated as "JV" angle just doesn't fly with me. I don't care what the announcers are talking about, the game will be in a more desirable calendar spot for fans to watch and will get more coverage. If anything more fans will be exposed to a subdivision of NCAA football that actually decides it's championship on the field.

Travel arrangements will be made easier, more exposure for FCS, better chance for both teams to play at full strength, maintains scheduling flexibility by not having to cram 11 games into an 11 week window.

appstate1998
November 14th, 2008, 12:04 PM
How is it any different than the 80% talk about bowls and award shows that we get as it?

Well now that I think about it, I'll be in Chattanooga anyways for App's game so I wouldn't have to listen to it.

LacesOut
November 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I'm not a diehard I-AA football fan, so I really don't mind when this game is. But I am a fan, still. So I'll watch some of it, whether it's in January or December, on a Tuesday night or a Saturday afternoon.

Grizaholic17
November 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM

How many other bowl games will be happening that night though?

LeopardFan04
November 14th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I think this will be a good move. Fans will have more time to make plans for Chatty, or whereever the game winds up. The rivalry games will stay on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. This also allows for teams to still have a bye week during the season despite the expansion of the playoffs.

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I don't see Chatty turning it down.

Henny
November 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I feel like I need to weigh in on this after closely folowing UD's path to Chatty last year.

First, Delaware football was heavily criticized by other fans in the FCS and the CAA, especially JMU fans by saying somehow UD didnt belong there and Delaware embarassed the CAA, etc.......

Although the DSU game was a blowout at home in the first round, the team, for the next two weeks spent a great majority of nights in the midwest. Also, UD got banged up as a team, much more than anyone will realize. The offensive lineman we had left were basically the walking wounded.

The other problem is the week of the FCS National Championship, UD players HAD to take finals as oppose to other schools where it dosen't seem like that was an issue. Maybe other schools have finals at different times, however you have guys like Kervin Michaud taking egineering finals at their hotel room in the presense of proctors. As a matter of fact most of the UD players had to go throught this.

My point is, UD probably would have still lost last year, I have no problem with that, however, a game three weeks later would put the two finalists on more even ground.

Say what you want, its a good idea to move the game to early January.

ronpayne
November 15th, 2008, 12:42 AM
We have a better system, and you'll hear about that over and over ("Man, can you imagine how great the BCS would be if we had playoffs? blah blah blah), but this will garner so much more attention for the FCS National Title.

Who said AppState fans and JMU fans can't agree!
xbeerchugx

proasu89
November 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I feel like I need to weigh in on this after closely folowing UD's path to Chatty last year.

First, Delaware football was heavily criticized by other fans in the FCS and the CAA, especially JMU fans by saying somehow UD didnt belong there and Delaware embarassed the CAA, etc.......

Although the DSU game was a blowout at home in the first round, the team, for the next two weeks spent a great majority of nights in the midwest. Also, UD got banged up as a team, much more than anyone will realize. The offensive lineman we had left were basically the walking wounded.

The other problem is the week of the FCS National Championship, UD players HAD to take finals as oppose to other schools where it dosen't seem like that was an issue. Maybe other schools have finals at different times, however you have guys like Kervin Michaud taking egineering finals at their hotel room in the presense of proctors. As a matter of fact most of the UD players had to go throught this.

My point is, UD probably would have still lost last year, I have no problem with that, however, a game three weeks later would put the two finalists on more even ground.

Say what you want, its a good idea to move the game to early January.

We've experienced the same thing over the last 3 years. Several (but not all) were not finished w/ finals and had to take them in Chattanooga. If we are fortunate enough to go back I don't think we will run into that this year. The game being on the 19th should allow everyone to finish the exams on campus.

SideLine Shooter
November 15th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Bad mistake!!! There goes one of my annual Vegas trips.xsmhx xsmhx

jonmac
November 15th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Unless the game is going to be played during the day it should not be played anywhere in the Pacific time zone(Vegas). Not a problem if 2 Pacific, Mountain or Central teams are playing(likelihood?). But that would be VERY late night for us East Coasters with the game likely starting at 8:00 local time. I know you midwesterners and westerners could give a crap but the majority of the FCS fan base is in the Eastern time zone and it really pisses me off when any game of national magnitude comes on so late that I can't watch. Just some selfish thoughts.