PDA

View Full Version : What to root for if you're at-large

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2005, 11:23 PM
If you're an at-large team, here's what you are looking for next weekend. I've broken this down in two ways. The first is "expected autobid preservation". This is to ensure that teams which are expected to win autobids win them. Two teams are already locks: Hampton, NIU.

Montana beats Montana St.
UNH beats Maine
Eastern Illinois beats Jacksonville St.
Lehigh beats Lafayette
Appalachian St. beats Elon
Nicholls St. beats McNeese St.

The second is "at-large elimination". This is to reduce the pool of potential at-large teams, which is trickier with the "7 D-I Wins" criteria. For this I split this into two categories. "Heavy Loss" would mean a loss would probably damage their playoff cred completely, while "Light Loss" would weaken the team, but still keep them in the playoff discussion. "Heavy losses" mean the loss is so bad, it can't be ignored, or it puts you at 7-4.

Basically a lock for an at-large invite is: Georgia Southern, and I believe YSU is also going to make it.

"Heavy Loss"
NDSU beating Southern Illinois (7-4)
William & Mary beating Richmond (7-4)
Hofstra beating UMass (7-4)
Idaho St. beating Cal Poly (7-4)
Georgetown beating Colgate (7-4)
NC A&T beating South Carolina St.
Charleston Southern beating Coastal Carolina
SHS beating Texas St. (8-3, 6 D-I wins)

"Light Loss"
Chatty beating Furman

See a trend? There is a lot of football left to play. An at-large team has a lot to root for, especially if the expected conference champs hold out.

umassfan
November 13th, 2005, 01:36 AM
If all that happens I see a 7-4 team making the playoffs!

crunifan
November 13th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Two teams are already locks: Hampton, NIU.

Northern Illinois doesn't play I-AA. :p

FlyYtown
November 13th, 2005, 07:09 AM
If that all happens I see YSU getting a home game; but even then I think the NCAA Made it clear; get the 7 D1A Wins and you will have a good shot of getting in; so I doubt any 7-4 teams will make it UMASSFAN.

And if any did I'd want Illinois State but that wouldn't happen; 4 Gateway Teams.. in my dreams...

umassfan
November 13th, 2005, 02:47 PM
If that all happens I see YSU getting a home game; but even then I think the NCAA Made it clear; get the 7 D1A Wins and you will have a good shot of getting in; so I doubt any 7-4 teams will make it UMASSFAN.

And if any did I'd want Illinois State but that wouldn't happen; 4 Gateway Teams.. in my dreams...
Buddy... not all teams play a DII game like YSU.

OL FU
November 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM
If you are hoping for an "at large" pull for Montana over Montana State so that EWU does not get the BSC auto bid.

Hansel
November 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Buddy... not all teams play a DII game like YSU.
SUNY-Albany

same difference

Cat79
November 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Lehigh Football Nation,

It is highly doubtful that Sam Houston will come into our house and knock us off. After the taunting our team took in Huntsville last year I expect Texas State to pound Sam Houston. Our guys remember last year. We have lost one game in the last two years at home. We lost to I-A Florida Atlantic last year by 7. Florida Atlantic defeated Hawaii and North Texas worse than they defeated us.

Bobcats roll over Sammy State 31-7. :deadhorse

Go Texas State!! Go Cats!!!

Paladin1aa
November 13th, 2005, 03:00 PM
SUNY-Albany ?? Actually, far worse. :p

umassfan
November 13th, 2005, 03:12 PM
SUNY-Albany

same difference

They are I-AA not DII there is a difference.

Hansel
November 13th, 2005, 03:21 PM
They are I-AA not DII there is a difference.
not in ability

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I think most eagles are looking for Maine and Montana State wins, since that means that they would most likely move up some more in the rankings.