PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 11-15

JALMOND
November 13th, 2008, 01:08 AM
So I'll get back to something I know a little about and stay away from any Cal Poly topics for awhile. As we approach the close of the season, clearly two teams have emereged as the front runners in the conference. All eyes are on Weber State, usually, and to a lesser extent, Montana, to see if the Griz can catch them. That is, except for this week as Weber State takes a bye to prepare for Eastern Washington and then the playoffs. Four conference games on the docket, and I really need a perfect week. Here they are...

ISU @ UM---Will the season just get over for the Bengals? Will they get their first win somewhere? Could they really go winless this year? One thing for sure, it is highly unlikely that they get a win in Missoula. Unless the Montana team really does not show up...UM 48, ISU 10.

NAU @ EWU---Playing out the string and out of the spotlights has been good for the Eagles as they have put together a bit of a run. Now they face a troubled Jacks team that is still reeling from losses to Weber State and Montana (and Montana State last week). Still, home games have not been too kind for the Eagles. They lose this one and they will have only beaten Idaho State at home. Can't let that happen, can we?...EWU 34, NAU 20.

UNC @ Sac State---Two straight, difficult, road wins for the Hornets gives them something to build on for next year. The Bears have been playing everyone really close, but cannot seem to get a victory, also something that they can work on for next year. While they both are looking towards the future, there is still the matter of the game to be played this weekend...Sac State 28, UNC 24.

PSU @ MSU---The Bobcats are still relying on old school football, that exceptional defense trying to keep the inept offense in the game. For the Vikings, the defense has improved, but the offense is beginning to go south as well. How many quarterbacks will play for both teams this weekend? Does it really matter...MSU 28, PSU 14.

Home team goes 4-0 (and hopefully, so do I). 49-11 heading into this weekend.

Grizaholic17
November 13th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I agree with all predictions. I would only alter the scores on the PSU@MSU and the NAU@EWU. EWU has not been scoring too high against tough conference opponents.

Also, the PSU@MSU is tough because if PSU decides to be prolific on offense, then goodbye cats. That will be the Toss-up for the week.

JALMOND
November 13th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I agree with all predictions. I would only alter the scores on the PSU@MSU and the NAU@EWU. EWU has not been scoring too high against tough conference opponents.

Also, the PSU@MSU is tough because if PSU decides to be prolific on offense, then goodbye cats. That will be the Toss-up for the week.

PSU has not been prolific on offense all year. Why start now? I'd rather say, if the coaches would have a little faith with the starting quarterback, the Vikings may have a chance. But if the last couple weeks are any indication, that is not going to happen. Hell, we might switch quarterbacks every quarter and play all four.

Grizaholic17
November 13th, 2008, 01:48 AM
PSU has not been prolific on offense all year. Why start now? I'd rather say, if the coaches would have a little faith with the starting quarterback, the Vikings may have a chance. But if the last couple weeks are any indication, that is not going to happen. Hell, we might switch quarterbacks every quarter and play all four.

TEAM STATISTICS PSU
Points Per Game 25.3
FIRST DOWNS 190
Rushing 20
Passing 153
Penalty 17
RUSHING YARDAGE 222
PASSING YARDAGE 3520
Att-Comp-Int 479-253-17
Average Per Pass 7.3
Average Per Catch 13.9
Average Per Game 391.1
TDs Passing 19
TOTAL OFFENSE
Total Plays 620
Average Per Play 6.0
Average Per Game 415.8

not too shabby for a "not prolific" offense. Passing game is quite good. Rushing is in the dumps. But I said IF the Portland state offense decides to come and play the game they CAN play.
xpeacex

Screamin_Eagle174
November 13th, 2008, 02:02 AM
This is one of the first times I'd say PSU has the edge, and you go and pick against them!? Jeez Jalmond, have some faith... the Bobcats are REALLY banged up right now, and if Kempt doesn't start, their third stringer will. xeekx

I like PSU in the "upset" this week.

JALMOND
November 13th, 2008, 02:11 AM
This is one of the first times I'd say PSU has the edge, and you go and pick against them!? Jeez Jalmond, have some faith... the Bobcats are REALLY banged up right now, and if Kempt doesn't start, their third stringer will. xeekx

We don't play well in Bozeman at all. Two years ago, we lost our shot at the playoffs because we couldn't even score. Right now, the Cats have won their last three games so they are on a roll. As for us, we don't have a clue who is even starting at QB. Speaking of third string QB's, ours might start as well.

Given our history of playing in Bozeman and where we are currently as compared to the Cats, I'll give you that upset pick. I, myself, won't even touch it.

GOKATS
November 13th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Both Kempt and Iddins are out with season ending injuries so #3 Mark Desin will start. Desin is a soph. who set the Montana high school state record starting at Billings Senior for three years with 9,005 passing yards.

Be sure to take him for granted.xnodx xsmiley_wix

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I like all your picks although I take UNC over SAC 24-17.

ncbears
November 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I like all your picks although I take UNC over SAC 24-17.

Not me. UNC has mailed it in for the season.

grizbeer
November 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
We don't play well in Bozeman at all. Two years ago, we lost our shot at the playoffs because we couldn't even score. Right now, the Cats have won their last three games so they are on a roll. As for us, we don't have a clue who is even starting at QB. Speaking of third string QB's, ours might start as well.

Given our history of playing in Bozeman and where we are currently as compared to the Cats, I'll give you that upset pick. I, myself, won't even touch it.
This is what Glanville says is the problem with beating MSU:

NEXT YEAR, GLANVILLE SAID, Portland State's schedule will not feature the Treasure State schools on consecutive Saturdays as has been the norm recently.

"We don't like playing 'em back-to-back," said Glanville. "Montana drains all the emotion away from us, then win or lose or whatever happens we have a very hard time coming back up to that level two weeks in a row."

Last week, the Grizzlies defeated Glanville's Vikings 29-12.

"Right now our team is kind of worn out from what happened last week," Glanville said. "I'm fixing tires."

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20081113/SPORTS/811130320/1006/SPORTS

grizbeer
November 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I like all your picks although I take UNC over SAC 24-17.Sac is .500, and with wins over UNC and ISU will be 7-5 - I don't think there will be any emotional let down from beating UCD - they will want a winning season.

GOKATS
November 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Elvis is a whiner. If you're the head coach you play the schedule, don't make up excuses. If he has a problem he needs to talk to the conference commissioner- they set the conference schedule. Maybe the Vikings should just take a bye week every year after the griz game to get over the stress.

Griz.in.nzone
November 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM

I agree with Jerry, every team gets beat up against the Griz and then plays MSU. The Griz is every teams rivilry game and the Cats get to ride the coat tails of the Griz and play the team that just got ripped by the Griz.

Grizzaholic
November 13th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Elvis is a whiner. If you're the head coach you play the schedule, don't make up excuses. If he has a problem he needs to talk to the conference commissioner- they set the conference schedule. Maybe the Vikings should just take a bye week every year after the griz game to get over the stress.

Must refrain from saying what ...... Oh well

The Bobcats take a bye week most years after playing the Griz.

Darn, I know not the right forum.

Grizaholic17
November 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Exactly, when team morale is down, don't count on them busting their butts until a new season begins.

CrazyCat
November 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I agree with Jerry, every team gets beat up against the Griz and then plays MSU. The Griz is every teams rivilry game and the Cats get to ride the coat tails of the Griz and play the team that just got ripped by the Griz.

This type of scheduling has happened this year and last. Should I bring up how it worked in years before 2007.xrulesx

Grizaholic17
November 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM
This type of scheduling has happened this year and last. Should I bring up how it worked in years before 2007.xrulesx

I agree with CrazyCat on this one. It seems we switch every now and then. You can talk about riding the coat tails all you want, but the Griz have done it too.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 13th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I think you will see one road win this week. Most of the games should be very competitive and I think we will see at least one team step on the road.

I Bleed Purple
November 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Weber State sure was emotionally drained after the Montana week. Sure didn't come out with any fire the game after that.

Excuses, 'cuses, what's your function?

grizbeer
November 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM
PSU played MSU the week after UM in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

CrazyCat
November 13th, 2008, 03:56 PM
PSU played MSU the week after UM in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

I was talking about the Big Sky in general, but you are correct. I see you didn't mention 2005 or 2004 :)

CopperCat
November 13th, 2008, 04:20 PM

The team may be banged up a bit, but there is more depth there than you think. Trust me.

That third stringer was instrumental in beating NAU. He threw a 44 yard strike down field (his only pass of the game) that set up the go ahead FG with a little over a minute to go. Go ahead and be a hater. You have been all season, why change now?xcoolx

grizbeer
November 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I was talking about the Big Sky in general, but you are correct. I see you didn't mention 2005 or 2004 :)
I was only looking at PSU, they have never played Montana the week after they played MSU - 2004 - 2005, was that the years MSU played most BSC teams the week before Montana played them, thereby catching a break by playing them when they were looking ahead to the UM game?

technocat
November 13th, 2008, 04:57 PM
All I know is that we have a running back just waiting to get his 1,000 yard season and an o'line with something to prove. The d will take care of business as usual.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 13th, 2008, 04:57 PM
The team may be banged up a bit, but there is more depth there than you think. Trust me.

That third stringer was instrumental in beating NAU. He threw a 44 yard strike down field (his only pass of the game) that set up the go ahead FG with a little over a minute to go. Go ahead and be a hater. You have been all season, why change now?xcoolx

Because I picked against MSU this week, I'm a hater? xnonox

I watched the NAU/MSU game on BStv... it was a great pass... but the receiver was also wide open on a blown coverage.

I'm sure Desin is a great QB, but he hasn't been tested that much in college action. We'll see on Saturday.

CrazyCat
November 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I was only looking at PSU, they have never played Montana the week after they played MSU - 2004 - 2005, was that the years MSU played most BSC teams the week before Montana played them, thereby catching a break by playing them when they were looking ahead to the UM game?

PSU was one of the exceptions and got a bye week before UM, but I'm sure that you knew that. I guess MSU benefits either way. If they (BSC) play us first they would of course look past MSU and spend two weeks on the Griz. They would only bring their "B" game against MSU, saving their "A" game for the Griz. Then if they play the Griz the week before, they would just be so physically and emotionally drained that MSU would be playing a much lesser team. I guess I like it either way.

bpcats
November 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I could see this game going either way. When PSU played Montana their qb's made some awful reads and it cost them. If they just get average play out of their qb, the way their offense is set up Portland can put up points. It also doesn't help that Dane Fletcher is out this week because he is such a difference maker on that dline.

MSU has been beat up all year and has developed a lot depth and a swagger these last three games. Our offense relies heavily on the running game so there shouldn't be a lot of pressure on our 3rd string qb. Beside they barely average over 200 yds passing. I expect a tight scoring game.

Peems
November 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I agree with everything. I think the Cats will win, but not by fourteen I say 10!

JALMOND
November 14th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I think you will see one road win this week. Most of the games should be very competitive and I think we will see at least one team step on the road.

I'd say the best shot is NAU at EWU. The Jacks are capable of beating anyone within the conference other than Weber and Montana, and EWU has not played well at home all year. The Jacks need to come out of their funk and get back to playing some football. Unfortunately, I don't think they will. But, Any Given Saturday. You never know.

mvemjsunpx
November 14th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I'd say the best shot is NAU at EWU. The Jacks are capable of beating anyone within the conference other than Weber and Montana, and EWU has not played well at home all year. The Jacks need to come out of their funk and get back to playing some football. Unfortunately, I don't think they will. But, Any Given Saturday. You never know.

I don't think NAU has a good shot at beating EWU. The 'Jacks aren't too good away from the Skydome & Eastern's run defense is solid; if the Jacks can't run, they have no offense.

wapiti
November 14th, 2008, 09:22 AM
UM 45, ISU 17. ISU will take a 3 - 0 lead, but will not score again untill the fourth, when the Griz have 2nd and 3rd stringers in.

EWU 17, NAU 27. EWU has been struggling at home, why should that change now.

Sac State 28, UNC 24. UNC loses on a last minute score by Sac.

MSU 21, PSU 17. A nail biter, but Desin will be the starting QB for the rest of this season and the next two for MSU.

Ronbo
November 14th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I expect Montana to rest many starters this weekend and the score could be closer than many think. We have 2 All American linemen that will sit out nursing dings. I'll bet Selle gets a half of work. Montana goes up by three TD's early then ends up winning by two. 34-21. It will basically be a game between Montana 2nd stringers verses Idaho State 1st stringers.

touchdown
November 14th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Upset special UNC over Sac State! Just a feeling! They have been right there all year!

UNCBears2010
November 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM

Yep, the offense has at least. The defense is still busting their asses to no avail.

JALMOND
November 17th, 2008, 12:30 AM
So I'll get back to something I know a little about and stay away from any Cal Poly topics for awhile. As we approach the close of the season, clearly two teams have emereged as the front runners in the conference. All eyes are on Weber State, usually, and to a lesser extent, Montana, to see if the Griz can catch them. That is, except for this week as Weber State takes a bye to prepare for Eastern Washington and then the playoffs. Four conference games on the docket, and I really need a perfect week. Here they are...

ISU @ UM---Will the season just get over for the Bengals? Will they get their first win somewhere? Could they really go winless this year? One thing for sure, it is highly unlikely that they get a win in Missoula. Unless the Montana team really does not show up...UM 48, ISU 10.

NAU @ EWU---Playing out the string and out of the spotlights has been good for the Eagles as they have put together a bit of a run. Now they face a troubled Jacks team that is still reeling from losses to Weber State and Montana (and Montana State last week). Still, home games have not been too kind for the Eagles. They lose this one and they will have only beaten Idaho State at home. Can't let that happen, can we?...EWU 34, NAU 20.

UNC @ Sac State---Two straight, difficult, road wins for the Hornets gives them something to build on for next year. The Bears have been playing everyone really close, but cannot seem to get a victory, also something that they can work on for next year. While they both are looking towards the future, there is still the matter of the game to be played this weekend...Sac State 28, UNC 24.

PSU @ MSU---The Bobcats are still relying on old school football, that exceptional defense trying to keep the inept offense in the game. For the Vikings, the defense has improved, but the offense is beginning to go south as well. How many quarterbacks will play for both teams this weekend? Does it really matter...MSU 28, PSU 14.

Home team goes 4-0 (and hopefully, so do I). 49-11 heading into this weekend.

Home teams went 4-0 and so did I. 53-11 for the year.:D

I Bleed Purple
November 17th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Home teams went 4-0 and so did I. 53-11 for the year.:D

How many perfect weeks have you had, Jalmond?