PDA

View Full Version : UD teams running out of time?

BDKJMU
November 12th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Little OT from football- JMU went through this a couple years ago.
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20081112/SPORTS07/811120336/1002/SPORTS&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Little OT from football- JMU went through this a couple years ago.
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20081112/SPORTS07/811120336/1002/SPORTS&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL
F@&k Title IX.

It killed wrestling at UD, and apparently; it's not done.

JMUSaxMRD
November 12th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Down with Title IX, it is an outdated law.

Maroon&White
November 12th, 2008, 09:41 PM
This is Title IX being used incorrectly, as it usually is. It was made to make opportunities for women, not take away ones for men. Unfortunately schools seem to always take the easy way out and cut sports, especially mens.

soccerguy315
November 12th, 2008, 09:47 PM
This is Title IX being used incorrectly, as it usually is. It was made to make opportunities for women, not take away ones for men. Unfortunately schools seem to always take the easy way out and cut sports, especially mens.

I think most sports lose money...

if they lose money, the money has to be made up somewhere.

GannonFan
November 13th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Hard to tell if this is real or not. Just because the News Journal writes an article on it doesn't mean it's true or even close to happening. There's no financial reason to drop the sports, and even dropping them wouldn't get Title IX compliance. Seems to just be rumors at this point.

dbackjon
November 13th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Shouldn't the focus be on why UD has a 58% female enrollment? Shouldn't the focus be on figuring out why a strong engineering school is struggling to attract men?

What is the ratio of male/female in Delaware HS's? If Delaware is attracting and giving academic scholarships disproportiately to females, isn't that discriminatory?

GannonFan
November 13th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Shouldn't the focus be on why UD has a 58% female enrollment? Shouldn't the focus be on figuring out why a strong engineering school is struggling to attract men?

What is the ratio of male/female in Delaware HS's? If Delaware is attracting and giving academic scholarships disproportiately to females, isn't that discriminatory?

A report in 2005 for the entire US found that women make up 57% of the enrolled college population. UD's gender breakdown is very similar to what most schools are.

dbackjon
November 13th, 2008, 11:19 AM
A report in 2005 for the entire US found that women make up 57% of the enrolled college population. UD's gender breakdown is very similar to what most schools are.

And again, shouldn't that be a concern? Aren't we denying MEN opportunities, not just in sports, but in all fields?

lizrdgizrd
November 13th, 2008, 11:36 AM
And again, shouldn't that be a concern? Aren't we denying MEN opportunities, not just in sports, but in all fields?
Nah, those bastards had it comin'. xmadx

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM
A big part of the reason that women are disproportinately represented in higher ed. is that men are more likely to see other opportunities available to them outside the classroom-whether that is learning a trade or starting a business or whatever. Many of the career fields dominated by women (education, health care, etc. aka the "caring" professions) require "credentials", generally including a degree of some sort. OTOH, a man who becomes a plumber or welder (and these fields are overwhelmingly male dominated) does an apprenticeship somewhere and earns while he learns.

Regarding Title IX, does anyone believe that if it was done away with tomorrow that colleges and universities would stop offering women's sports or that little girls would suddenly somehow lose interest in sports? Title IX's time has passed-repeal it.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 13th, 2008, 12:05 PM
A big part of the reason that women are disproportinately represented in higher ed. is that men are more likely to see other opportunities available to them outside the classroom-whether that is learning a trade or starting a business or whatever. Many of the career fields dominated by women (education, health care, etc. aka the "caring" professions) require "credentials", generally including a degree of some sort. OTOH, a man who becomes a plumber or welder (and these fields are overwhelmingly male dominated) does an apprenticeship somewhere and earns while he learns.

That's the way I mostly see it. In fact, a small part of me wishes I learned to build houses, joined the military, or something like that, instead of going to college to get a history/teaching degree which I don't even use anyway.

But part of the problem is an outgrowth of how boys are drugged up for "ADD" and feminized by our school system (trust me, I was a teacher, its true), killing their drive, ambition, and adult responsibilty.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 13th, 2008, 12:14 PM
That's the way I mostly see it. In fact, a small part of me wishes I learned to build houses, joined the military, or something like that, instead of going to college to get a history/teaching degree which I don't even use anyway.

But part of the problem is an outgrowth of how boys are drugged up for "ADD" and feminized by our school system (trust me, I was a teacher, its true), killing their drive, ambition, and adult responsibilty.

Heh-App history grad here as well (OK social science and education with a concentration in history, but still). Yeah, I totally agree about ADD, most of those kids only suffer from B-O-Y, but they exhibit behaviors that their female teachers can't tolerate and so they end up getting drugged. I also spent some time in the classroom, but I don't use it either (it was worth it because an education has value beyond what kind of job you get with it). My wife is an elementary school teacher (and App grad) and she agrees with us as well.

BDKJMU
November 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM
F@&k Title IX.

It killed wrestling at UD, and apparently; it's not done.

Ditto. Title IX was brought to us by a bunch of fem nazis and lib judges.