PDA

View Full Version : JMU Duke Dog's Take On The Potential Playoffs

JMU Duke Dog
November 12th, 2005, 08:54 PM
As JMU will not make the playoffs I shall try to make an unbiased prediction for this year's field of 16 playoff teams:

A10 (3) – New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Richmond
Big South (1) – Coastal Carolina
Big Sky (1) – Montana
Gateway (2) – Northern Iowa, Youngstown State
MEAC (1) – Hampton
Ohio Valley (1) – Eastern Illinois
Patriot (2) – Lehigh, Colgate
Southern (3) – Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Furman
Southland (2) – Nicholls State, Texas State

Colgate at New Hampshire*
Massachusetts at Lehigh

Youngstown State at Appalachian State*
Richmond at Hampton

Coastal Carolina at Georgia Southern*
Furman at Nicholls State

Texas State at Montana*
Eastern Illinois at Northern Iowa

*Seeded teams

FlyBoy8
November 12th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Montana State lost today to put them at 7-4. Picking an upset over Montana?

JMU Duke Dog
November 12th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Montana State lost today to put them at 7-4. Picking an upset over Montana?

I had no idea. Whoopsy. :o
I will go back and sort through this chaos once again.

JMU Duke Dog
November 12th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Okay I have edited my first post and added Colgate over Southern Illinois to replace my original inclusion of Montana State.

blur2005
November 12th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Okay I have edited my first post and added Colgate over Southern Illinois to replace my original inclusion of Montana State.
WHAAAA????

SIU gets in over the 'gate I would think.

Also, no matter what you think about Hampton, they'll be seeded if they're undefeated.

GSU Eagle
November 12th, 2005, 09:15 PM
I'll take your pairings but I would be very surprised if GSU was a seeded team. I do believe we are somewhere between 5-8, but not 1 of the 4 seeded teams.

I agree with the other poster who said Hampton will get seeded. I am not sure they deserve it but an undefeated Hampton team will get a #3 or #4 seed.

The seeds right now are probably #1 UNH #2 Montana #3 Hampton #4 Appalachian

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I had no idea. Whoopsy. :o
I will go back and sort through this chaos once again.
Now, who you gonna drop if MSU beats the Griz next week? Cuz then, EWU gets the auto bid (I believe), and UM will stll get in.

youwouldno
November 12th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Furman ain't going to Nicholls.

JMU Duke Dog
November 12th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Now, who you gonna drop if MSU beats the Griz next week? Cuz then, EWU gets the auto bid (I believe), and UM will stll get in.

I have faith in the Griz.

JMU Duke Dog
November 12th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Furman ain't going to Nicholls.

I figured that Appalachian State receives a seed so they will be at home then Georgia Southern beat Furman so the Eagles would get the home game over the Paladins. Do you think the committee would give home games to all 3 SoCon participants? I gave Nicholls State a home game thinking that they will receive the Southland autobid; however, I am curious to what conditions are currently like along the Gulf coast and whether or not the playoff committee would have playoff games in that region.

youwouldno
November 12th, 2005, 10:27 PM
GSU's 3 pt home win over Furman is not going to have anything whatsoever to do with who gets a home game. I think all 3 will be home, though it depends on what the final field is.

JMU Duke Dog
November 12th, 2005, 10:29 PM
GSU's 3 pt home win over Furman is not going to have anything whatsoever to do with who gets a home game. I think all 3 will be home, though it depends on what the final field is.

Just curious, has a conference ever received 3 home games in the first round? I know that only 2 of the 4 A10 participants in the 2004 playoffs had first round games at home.

youwouldno
November 12th, 2005, 10:39 PM
It's rare because usually when a conference has multiple bids, not all are likely home games due to losses. But 2 of App St's losses are I-A, Furman probably finishes 9-2, GSU is a I-AA superpower who finished very strong and has excellent attendance (as does ASU).

Coastal89
November 12th, 2005, 10:41 PM
How would Youngstown get in over SIU when they have losses to UNI and SIU?

siugrad99
SIU wins next week & they are in over YSU simple as that. sharing the gateway championship (all be it UNI beat us head to head) and us beating YSU 31-17 puts us in and leaves them out.

Eaglegus2

Also, the bidding process comes into effect.

How much money can you generate for the NCAA. GSU has sent in a very lucrative bid for the 1st & 2nd rounds. The facilities has a lot to do with who gets what.

The only sure home games are the Top 4 seeds.

Money talks, BS walks with the NCAA. :nod:

JMU Duke Dog
November 12th, 2005, 10:44 PM
SIU wins next week & they are in over YSU simple as that. sharing the gateway championship (all be it UNI beat us head to head) and us beating YSU 31-17 puts us in and leaves them out.

I had looked at results from all of those Gateway teams and screwed up thinking that Youngstown State beat Southern Illinois. :doh:

Okay I will take another crack at this crazy 16 piece puzzle.

JMU Duke Dog
November 12th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Updated playoff predictions:

A10 (3) – New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Richmond
Big South (1) – Coastal Carolina
Big Sky (1) – Montana
Gateway (3) – Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, Youngstown State
MEAC (1) – Hampton
Ohio Valley (1) – Eastern Illinois
Patriot (1) – Lehigh
Southern (3) – Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Furman
Southland (2) – Nicholls State, Texas State

Eastern Illinois at New Hampshire*(1)
Massachusetts at Lehigh

Youngstown State at Appalachian State*(2)
Coastal Carolina at Georgia Southern

Richmond at Hampton*(3)
Nicholls State at Furman

Southern Illinois at Montana*(4)
Texas State at Northern Iowa

*Seeded teams

youwouldno
November 12th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Also, the bidding process comes into effect.

How much money can you generate for the NCAA. GSU has sent in a very lucrative bid for the 1st & 2nd rounds. The facilities has a lot to do with who gets what.

The only sure home games are the Top 4 seeds.

Money talks, BS walks with the NCAA. :nod:

I don't know how much Furman is willing to put up for a home game, but it hasn't been a problem in the past. A lot depends on who the opposing bidder is.

Eaglegus2
November 12th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I don't know how much Furman is willing to put up for a home game, but it hasn't been a problem in the past. A lot depends on who the opposing bidder is.

Exactly!!!!!! Furman & GSU haven't had problems coming up with the money for a home game. The only obstacle would be a higher ranked opponent who would get the home game.