PDA

View Full Version : I am sitting on Cloud 9...

blazrdog#1
November 12th, 2008, 10:37 AM
My school IS in the SoCon and looking good.All of the longsuffering since the mid 80's is now rectified in my soul.I can see the SoCon in person instead of tv.All of those years of watching 1-AA teams like Marshall,Youngstown State and App State.I can now watch in real time!Go Samford Bulldogs!!Oh yeahuh...uh-huh...yuppity yup!!!!

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I admire your excitement. Samford has shocked, I think, everyone in the SoCon with their play. Especially those who did not want another private school in the conference. Glad the newest addition is performing well, considering some older members are not. xsmhx

bostonspider
November 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Speaking of private schools, if push came to shove and the CAA imploded, or UR was forced out, do any of you think the SoCon would accept them as a football only member?

Appstate29
November 12th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Speaking of private schools, if push came to shove and the CAA imploded, or UR was forced out, do any of you think the SoCon would accept them as a football only member?

Football only? Probably not, but if they wanted to be all-sports, I would welcome them whole-heartedly. I do not mention this often, but I secretly enjoy being in the same Conference with academic powerhouses like Furman, Davidson and Wofford immensely. I would love the addition of Richmond to our league, and hope our administrators would learn from them academically, as well as athletically. I would much rather be in a conference with schools like Richmond, FU, Davidson, WoCo, UD, JMU, ect. ect. than places like Marshall.

bostonspider
November 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hmm, I do not think UR is likely to give up being the A10 for hoops.

OL FU
November 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Football only? Probably not, but if they wanted to be all-sports, I would welcome them whole-heartedly. I do not mention this often, but I secretly enjoy being in the same Conference with academic powerhouses like Furman, Davidson and Wofford immensely. I would love the addition of Richmond to our league, and hope our administrators would learn from them academically, as well as athletically. I would much rather be in a conference with schools like Richmond, FU, Davidson, WoCo, UD, JMU, ect. ect. than places like Marshall.

Smart Posterxthumbsupx

OL FU
November 12th, 2008, 11:55 AM

I think we only have one school that participates in one sport onlyxconfusedx VMI in wrestling, am I rightxnodx Of Course they were formally all SoCon for everythingxnodx On the other hand so were you guysxsmiley_wix

AppSt.09
November 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Except that we allow Davidson to compete in everything but football so they continually dominate SOCON basketball. I think that it's bs, personally. If they play every other sport in the conference they should play football as well, the same goes for Charleston Southern.

Rekdiver
November 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
UR and Bill and Mary used to be in the SoCon. We don't need any more BBall only or Football Only.

I would be happy to swap Greensboro or College of Charleston for Richmond.

OL FU
November 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Except that we allow Davidson to compete in everything but football so they continually dominate SOCON basketball. I think that it's bs, personally. If they play every other sport in the conference they should play football as well, the same goes for Charleston Southern.

Please tell me that Chuck South didn't gain admission while I was taking my afternoon napxeekx xbawlingx

I know it was a typoxsmiley_wix

Appstate29
November 12th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Smart Posterxthumbsupx

I do have my degree from ASU ;)

OL FU
November 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Appsolutelyxsmiley_wix

Appstate29
November 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Hmm, I do not think UR is likely to give up being the A10 for hoops.

probably not, but the A-10, in recent years hasn't been THAT much better than the SoCon. And with Xavier and Drexel and Dayton in the league, how many conference championships will Richmond expect to win?

OL FU
November 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM

I said it mainly because I always get a chuckle from the Marshall worshippers. I think Marshall won three SoCon championships, maybe four but if you talk to most people they dominated the conference. xlolx The biggest problem was they were renegades, the football program and basketball program had no moral consciensexsmhx

bostonspider
November 12th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Ok, Drexel is in the CAA, and last year the A10 had 3 teams in the NCAA's, so they have been "that" much better than the SoCon. Davidson has been good, but the rest of the league ha snot really kept pace. UR made the tourney as an at large in 2004 (one of 4 from the A10 that year), and are looking this year to hopefully be back in the NIT's and next year with Geriot back in the NCAA's. Basketball is still in the driver's seat at UR, so our membership in the A10, or whatever its successor league might be, will dictate what we do in football. If we cannot stay in the CAA, then the SoCon would have been my second choice, but otherwise I guess we will try and work with Villanova to settle in a good spot.