PDA

View Full Version : 1978 to 2008: The FCS Top Thirty Lists - Wide Receivers

CSN-info
November 12th, 2008, 01:29 AM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/Top30/topthirtycover200w.jpg
The highest level of NCAA Division I championship football began play in 1978 as Division I-AA and from that time there have been numerous top performers throughout the 30 years. Now renamed the Football Championship Subdivision, the following is a list compiled to highlight the Top 30 at the positions of quarterback, runningback, wide receiver, offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, defensive back, kicker/punter, and FCS national championship games as part of our 2008 Yearbook.

This level of football has produced NFL Most Valuable Players such as quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Rich Gannon, Super Bowl MVPs such as Richard Dent, NFL record holders such as Jerry Rice and Steve Christie, and numerous NCAA records. These lists spotlight some of those achievements and gives a sampling of the level of play that the FCS has and continues to produce.

We will be publishing the lists over the next two weeks and we hope you will enjoy this small sampling of the past 30 years of the FCS.Read more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=1978-to-2008-the-fcs-top-thirty-lists&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

GolfingGriz
November 12th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Very interesting but I was surprised that Joe Douglass was not on the list.

Hoyadestroya85
November 12th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I tend not to like to do this, but having Brian Finneran at 29 is absolutely ridiculous... People tend to not realize how great he really was

Shellin
November 12th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I cannot believe there isn't a Montana receiver on that list somewhere. Between Douglas, Wells, Molden, Watkins, Farris, Erhardt, Gurnsy and Talmage you would think one of them would've been able to crack the top 30. Douglas for example had 82 receptions for 1469 yards and 18 touchdowns in 1996 alone.

With all that said, it does look like they heavily factored professional career into these rankings so I guess that would be a good reason. There are definitely some very very good receivers on that list.

JmuSkinsfan
November 12th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Wow. I DID NOT expect to see Gary Clark at #2. RESPECT.

Tod
November 12th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Jake Reed!!! xnodx xnodx xnodx

Fondly remember him as a Vikings fan! But, that also reminds me... What about Sammy White? Didn't he also play for Grambling, and didn't he also have a pretty damn good career with the Vikings?

Of course, I don't know much about his collegiate career, but it seems it should have been pretty good to get a shot at (and success in) the NFL.

Very interesting read (Reed!!). Mark "Super" Duper, I remember him, too.

:)

coover
November 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM
30 guys listed, and no Ramses Barden. Not #1, not even #30. Barden, the guy who has tied or beaten records previously set by the great Jerry Rice, and may beat the tied record this Saturday. I'm not saying that Barden should be ranked up there with Rice. Judgement on that is still too early. But he should get a mention on the list.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 12th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Wow. I DID NOT expect to see Gary Clark at #2. RESPECT.

That makes 2 of us.xrotatehx

uofmman1122
November 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Jackson also proved key in one of college football's biggest upsets, recording two touchdowns and 92 yards as well as 19 yards rushing, in the Mountaineers' 34-321 win over ranked Michigan a year ago.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

813Jag
November 12th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I've seen 11 of those 30 WR's play against Southern.

henfan
November 12th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Disappointed that Delaware's all-time receiving leader Eddie Conti didn't make a list, which, by the way, seemed more predicated by what the player did after college than while in the FCS/I-AA.

All Conti did was have over 3,700 career receiving yards and catch 31 TD passes. During his career, he set a I-AA record for receiving yards in a single season (a record since broken.)

Too bad he was omitted in favor of some less accomplished college players.xsmhx

gmoney55
November 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Disappointed that Delaware's all-time receiving leader Eddie Conti didn't make a list, which, by the way, seemed more predicated by what the player did after college than while in the FCS/I-AA.
All Conti did was have over 3,700 career receiving yards and catch 31 TD passes. During his career, he set a I-AA record for receiving yards in a single season (a record since broken.)

Too bad he was omitted in favor of some less accomplished college players.xsmhx

Agreed.

dbackjon
November 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
If this is what the player did IN college, the list is bogus.

Shawn Collins, first round draft pick, not listed? Yeah, he was a bust in the pros, but in college he was one of the best all-time.

Anovafan
November 12th, 2008, 09:01 AM
This list is just bizarre. Conti should be on the list, as should a few other players mentioned above. Finneran should be much higher. He is the only WR to ever win the Payton award. He could dominate games from the WR position, which is very hard to do. And he has had a solid 10 years in the pros.

UNIFanSince1983
November 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Dedric Ward should be a little bit higher, but it seems they put a lot of stock into NFL careers too. Even though the guy right ahead of him had a worse college career and didn't have as good a pro career except he was on a team that won the Super Bowl.

And Randy Moss should be higher too. He definitely should be higher than Terrell Owens.

HensRock
November 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Fred Barnett is another player that should be higher based on his play while in college. He was a game-changer.

813Jag
November 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Question for all: who would you remove from this list?

GannonFan
November 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Obviously the list slants towards people who went on to excel in the pros. I never remember Troy Brown being a fantastic WR for Marshall - great return guy, but this list is supposed to be about playing the WR position. Not having Conti on the list is crazy, but then again, he didn't make it in the pros. Colston is a reach as well. Nice receiver, but he's not even in the top 3 of WR's I've seen come through Hofstra in the past 15 years I've watched Hofstra play. Of course, he's done well in the pros, hence his inclusion in the list.

On the bright side, I guess, as a UD fan, I can look forward to Gannon and Flacco placing pretty high on the QB list when it comes out (and heck, Komlo and Brunner were NFL starters as well, and Nagy is one of the best Arena QB's out there!)

gmoney55
November 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Question for all: who would you remove from this list?

Well Mark Duper is No. 3 even though he only played two years according to the article, with no stats included from his time at NW State so I have no idea what he did there.

And take a look at TO's numbers at Chattanooga - never had more than 43 catches or 724 yards in a season, and only 12 total touchdowns in three years. I'm sure he had double coverage and everything, but his college numbers alone aren't very impressive.

Driver had 88 receptions and 1,933 yards in his career, nothing special.

Some others had no college stats listed so it's hard to tell.

letsgopards04
November 12th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Dexter Jackson? 1800 yards seems a little light to be on such a list?

Syntax Error
November 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
This level of football has produced NFL Most Valuable Players such as quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Rich Gannon, Super Bowl MVPs such as Richard Dent, NFL record holders such as Jerry Rice and Steve Christie, and numerous NCAA records. These lists spotlight some of those achievements and gives a sampling of the level of play that the FCS has and continues to produce.It says up front that NFL and NCAA achievements are considered. I don't think there are any active college players on the list. The article also says "we are sure there are some deserving players that were left off" ...

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM
It's a good list, but I think they should have focused more on the FCS accomplishments rather than NFL.

It would be like the Phillies retiring Ryne Sandberg's number, even though he achieved most of his success with the Cubs.

Also, David Ball should be much higher than 20.

UNHWildCats
November 12th, 2008, 11:13 AM
It's a good list, but I think they should have focused more on the FCS accomplishments rather than NFL.

It would be like the Phillies retiring Ryne Sandberg's number, even though he achieved most of his success with the Cubs.

Also, David Ball should be much higher than 20.
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

UNHWildCats
November 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
is this a new series we will see more of like QBs and RBs and so on?

Syntax Error
November 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM
is this a new series we will see more of like QBs and RBs and so on?xconfusedx Read the first post and the article.

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
is this a new series we will see more of like QBs and RBs and so on?
Yes.

UNHWildCats
November 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM
xconfusedx Did you read the first post or the article?
xlolx xlolx I went straight for the list.... I really need to learn to read everything :)

jstate83
November 12th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Jimmy Smith
Cory Bradford
Chris Burkett
It was great watching those guy's make unbelievable catches week after week.
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I'll take it and run with it.
I can name a couple other's that could have been on that list but everybody can't be included.xnodx

813Jag
November 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Jimmy Smith
Cory Bradford
Chris Burkett
It was great watching those guy's make unbelievable catches week after week.
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I'll take it and run with it.
I can name a couple other's that could have been on that list but everybody can't be included.xnodx
Sylvester Morris could have made this list as well, especially if Driver made it.

henfan
November 12th, 2008, 01:49 PM
It says up front that NFL and NCAA achievements are considered. I don't think there are any active college players on the list. The article also says "we are sure there are some deserving players that were left off" ...

No issue that NFL accomplishments are considered necessarily, just that NFL time seemed to carry more weight than what the player achieved at the collegiate level. That's unfortunate given the article's supposed focus (i.e.- I-AA/FCS FB.)

I'm not offended by the list one way or another, regardless. I appreciated reading it; it was fun. It reminded me of all of the great game-changing wideouts I've been fortunate enough to witness firsthand.xthumbsupx

jstate83
November 12th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Sylvester Morris could have made this list as well, especially if Driver made it.

Tim Barnett as well.
That clown fugged up his life at Kansas City.
Joe Montana had set him up to be the goto receiver and then he threw it all away in the off-season. xsmhx

Silenoz
November 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM
The fact that Owens is higher than Moss is ridiculous.

Syntax Error
November 12th, 2008, 05:08 PM
The fact that Owens is higher than Moss is ridiculous.Any reason why? I think they are pretty similar in talent though Owens is more highly decorated in the pros. Besides, Owens is #5 and Moss is #6. Not a lot of difference.

Syntax Error
November 12th, 2008, 05:10 PM
The list:

1. Jerry Rice, WR, Mississippi Valley State, 1st Rnd-1985
2. Gary Clark, WR, James Madison, 2nd Rnd-1984Sup.
3. Mark Duper, WR, Northwestern State, 2nd Rnd-1982
4. John Taylor, WR, Delaware State, 3rd Rnd-1986
5. Terrell Owens, WR, Tennessee-Chattanooga, 3rd Rnd-1996
6. Randy Moss, WR, Marshall, 1st Rnd-1998
7. Troy Brown, WR, Marshall, 8th Rnd-1993
8. Jimmy Smith, WR, Jackson State, 2nd Rnd-1992
9. Mark Carrier, WR, Nicholls State, 3rd Rnd-1987
10. Charlie Brown, WR, South Carolina State, 8th Rnd-1981
11. Donald Driver, WR, Alcorn State, 7th Rnd-1999
12. Wayne Chrebet, WR, Hofstra, Last College-1994
13. Jake Reed, WR, Grambling State, 3rd Rnd-1991
14. Fred Barnett, WR, Arkansas State, 3rd Rnd-1990
15. Shawn Jefferson, WR, Central Florida, 9th Rnd-1991
16. Michael Haynes, WR, Northern Arizona, 7th Rnd-1988
17. Vincent Brisby, WR, Louisiana-Monroe, 2nd Rnd-1993
18. Terry Mickens, WR, Florida A&M, 5th Rnd-1994
19. Dedric Ward, WR, Northern Iowa, 3rd Rnd-1997
20. David Ball, WR, New Hampshire, Last College-2006
21. Corey Bradford, WR, Jackson State, 5th Rnd-1998
22. Marques Colston, WR, Hofstra, 7th Rnd-2006
23. Vincent Jackson, WR, Northern Colorado, 2nd Rnd-2005
24. Chris Burkett, WR, Jackson State, 2nd Rnd-1985
25. Torrance Small, WR, Alcorn State, 5th Rnd-1992
26. Rich Musinski, WR, William & Mary, Last College-2003
27. Jacquay Nunnally, WR, Florida A&M, Last College-2000
28. Jerome Simpson, WR, Coastal Carolina, 2nd Rnd-2008
29. Brian Finneran, WR, Villanova, Last College-1997
30. Dexter Jackson, WR, Appalachian State, 2nd Rnd-2008

Hoyadestroya85
November 12th, 2008, 05:45 PM
another thing... wasn't colston a TE at hofstra?

Syntax Error
November 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM
another thing... wasn't colston a TE at hofstra?He lined up at wide receiver when I saw him play. He was all-american at wide receiver.

Big Dawg
November 12th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Terry Mickens and Jacquay Nunnally representing for FAMU!!! Anybody who played receiver under Billy Joe in the late 90's get honorable mention;) :D

BTW, I love the picture at the beiginning

blueballs
November 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Observations:

Owens will be #2 on that list by the time he retires...

No way in hell is Dexter Jackson the 20th best all time receiver in FCS history, he might not be in the top 20 all time in the SoCon; and I guarandamntee you Tampa wishes they had that second round pick back...

Finneran should certainly be higher...

Ball should be higher...

Laurent Robinson???

Barden???

Hudgens???

UNCBears2010
November 12th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Good to see that Vincent Jackson is on the list. He was a man among boys when he played in college.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 12th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Is this a list of 1-AA acheivements or does it include professional accomplishments? If the latter, fine. But, if only 1-AA accomplishments, David Ball is much better than #20. Try Top 3 to Top 5.

Brad82
November 13th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Billy Brooks from BU belongs on here. He had a great college and NFL career. Dameon Reilley from URI deserves consideration also.

Kiss My Apps
November 13th, 2008, 06:53 AM
IMO, Davon Fowlkes was hands down better than Dexter Jackson.

813Jag
November 13th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Terry Mickens and Jacquay Nunnally representing for FAMU!!! Anybody who played receiver under Billy Joe in the late 90's get honorable mention;) :D

BTW, I love the picture at the beiginning
That other receiver opposite Nunnally (Lamb xconfusedx ) he always tore us a new one.

PhoenixPhan06
November 13th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I was dissapointed as first when I looked over the list and wondered how some current WR's could be left out. Then I realized that everyone on the list had completed their eligibility. Otherwise you'd have to throw in current stars like Barden and Hudgins.

I-AA Fan
November 13th, 2008, 11:51 AM
It seems as though your criteria includes being drafted into the NFL. Many, many, many, many of the best players never were. Believe me, I have followed the division since 1983. This will be especially true in the skilled positions. Receivers, QB's, and RB's can dominate in I-AA ...then never see as much as a pro day.

Syntax Error
November 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM
It seems as though your criteria includes being drafted into the NFL...I don't think that is a criteria because these players on the list were not drafted:
12. Wayne Chrebet, WR, Hofstra, Last College-1994
20. David Ball, WR, New Hampshire, Last College-2006
26. Rich Musinski, WR, William & Mary, Last College-2003
27. Jacquay Nunnally, WR, Florida A&M, Last College-2000
29. Brian Finneran, WR, Villanova, Last College-1997

Certainly playing post-college adds to a player's resume. As it says, the resume is not college only.

Syntax Error
November 13th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Billy Brooks from BU belongs on here. He had a great college and NFL career. Dameon Reilley from URI deserves consideration also.When did Brooks play at BU?

Big Dawg
November 13th, 2008, 10:07 PM
That other receiver opposite Nunnally (Lamb xconfusedx ) he always tore us a new one.

Oh yeah...the "RAC Boys". This included Jacquay Nunnally, Cainon Lamb, Tariq Quiam(sp?), Demetrius Bendross, and Cedric Mitchell. I miss those days man.

Dallas Demon
November 13th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Well Mark Duper is No. 3 even though he only played two years according to the article, with no stats included from his time at NW State so I have no idea what he did there.

And take a look at TO's numbers at Chattanooga - never had more than 43 catches or 724 yards in a season, and only 12 total touchdowns in three years. I'm sure he had double coverage and everything, but his college numbers alone aren't very impressive.

Driver had 88 receptions and 1,933 yards in his career, nothing special.

Some others had no college stats listed so it's hard to tell.

Duper was pretty incredible at Northwestern St., bomb after bomb went to him. The QB was Bobby Hebert (Saints/Falcons) who had a cannon, and Joe Delaney (KC Chiefs) was the tailback. Victor Oatis (Colts) was the other wide receiver, and Gary Reasons (Giants) was the LB. Petey Perot (Eagles) also played on those teams. I'll never understand why we didn't win the NC during that timeframe, we were loaded with players that ended up having very successful NFL careers.

Brad82
November 14th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Billy Brooks played 83-85.