PDA

View Full Version : Has The CCU HC Lost His "Touch"?

The Gadfly
November 11th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Is this just a hick-up the last two seasons or has he just lost his "magic"? I don't see this ship turning with the wind anytime soon. :(

walliver
November 12th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I suspect Bennett has already seen his glory days.

He started off great, but, for some reason, was unable to continue the momentum. He was able to recruit a group of guys who were excited to be part of something new, but couldn't do likewise once the team was established. He may get his "second wind" and develop a decent program, but the dreams of an early National Championship will stay dreams.xtwocentsx

kirkblitz
November 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Hell yes he has

ill list some reasons

1) recruitment of thugs, remember those 9 arrests?

2) HORRIBLE D coordinator, ranked in the bottom of the nation in defense for 3 years

3) Bad play calling, we had the #2 offense in the country in 2006 the year of our playoff run, since then we are about 60 each year.

This program has fallen apart and the fact bennett has a 1.2 million buyout and about 8 years left on his contract does not bode well for the futre of ccu. With the other Big south schools getting better and us staying the same or getting WORSE we can look forward to being on the bottom like CSU use to be.

Total Defense Rank Total Yard/game Total Rush Rank Rush yard allow/game
2003 .... 34 ....... 325.33 ...... 48 ......... 145.8
2004 ..... 21 ...... 313.64 ....... 47 ....... 140.1
2005 ....... 35 ......... 337.45 ..... 44 .... 145.3
2006 ..... 70 ...... 349.17 ....... 105 ...... 196.2
2007 ...... 51 ...... 360.27 ....... 106 ...... 218.9
2008 ....... 78 ..... 369.70 ..... 94 ...... 181.5

Total O Rank Total O yard Passing Pass yard Rushing Rush Yard
2003 ..... 96 ...... 304.45 ...... 115 ..... 91.2 ..... 18 .... 278.00
2004 ...... 27 ...... 398.45..... 105 ..... 158.1 .... 5 ...... 278.00
2005 ..... 58 ...... 360.64 ...... 86 .... 158.1 ..... 25 ...... 202.55
2006 ..... 2 ..... 468.08 ...... 4 ... .. 285.8 .. ..... 23 ... 182.33
2007 ...... 67 ... 356.91 ....... 90 ..... 156.3 .. 27 .. 200.64
2008 ...... 37 ..... 378.80 ..... 53 .... . 211.5 . 38 .. 167.30

kick off returns-114
punt return-107

danefan
November 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Hell yes he has

kick off returns-114
punt return-107

Thats the most absurd stat I've seen in a long time!

Coastal must start on the 5 every kickoff! What in the world is going on. Get the kickoff and run straight ahead. Without any blockers you'd still get 10 yards every time!

kirkblitz
November 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Well assuming they dont fumble the return they now fair catch because they drop the damn ball almost every time no matter who the returner is

Cleets
November 12th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Well assuming they dont fumble the return they now fair catch because they drop the damn ball almost every time no matter who the returner is

Jeezus..!!!
is there Booing in the stands..? xeyebrowx

kirkblitz
November 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM
yes every game now just about

he ran 6 qb draws in a row when liberty came to town. 3 then a penalty then 3 again. Needless to say we didnt win

BestOfBreed
November 12th, 2008, 02:20 PM
It's tough to replace Simpson and Thigpen. 2 Payton Award quality guys at one time = success.

danefan
November 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM
It's tough to replace Simpson and Thigpen. 2 Payton Award quality guys at one time = success.

UNH did it (Ball and Santos) and arguably with less. They did do it in a better conference, but everything else points to the favor of Coastal (location, facilities, money!, etc..)

kirkblitz
November 12th, 2008, 02:34 PM

we had simpson last year when we went 5-6

OL FU
November 12th, 2008, 02:34 PM
yes every game now just about

he ran 6 qb draws in a row when liberty came to town. 3 then a penalty then 3 again. Needless to say we didnt win

I hate to hear that. Even thought I didn't like the outcome of the game, I loved the enthusiam in 2006.

kirkblitz
November 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I hate to hear that. Even thought I didn't like the outcome of the game, I loved the enthusiam in 2006.

yeah i think that was about the last time we were genuinely pumped at ccu, now its just a question of how much presby is going to beat us by xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

The Gadfly
November 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Your facts are deafening.

kirkblitz
November 12th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Your facts are deafening.

it makes me sad to xbawlingx

kirkblitz
November 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM
thoughts from any of the big schools?

proasu89
November 12th, 2008, 09:38 PM
thoughts from any of the big schools?

He seems large on bravado and short on substance. Just an outsiders opinion.xpeacex

LUfilmguy
November 13th, 2008, 12:27 AM
now its just a question of how much presby is going to beat us by....

Dear Coastal,

For the love of CDB beat the stockings off those hose. Dadgumit.

T-Dogg
November 13th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hell yes he has

ill list some reasons

1) recruitment of thugs, remember those 9 arrests?

2) HORRIBLE D coordinator, ranked in the bottom of the nation in defense for 3 years

3) Bad play calling, we had the #2 offense in the country in 2006 the year of our playoff run, since then we are about 60 each year.

This program has fallen apart and the fact bennett has a 1.2 million buyout and about 8 years left on his contract does not bode well for the futre of ccu. With the other Big south schools getting better and us staying the same or getting WORSE we can look forward to being on the bottom like CSU use to be.

Total Defense Rank Total Yard/game Total Rush Rank Rush yard allow/game
2003 .... 34 ....... 325.33 ...... 48 ......... 145.8
2004 ..... 21 ...... 313.64 ....... 47 ....... 140.1
2005 ....... 35 ......... 337.45 ..... 44 .... 145.3
2006 ..... 70 ...... 349.17 ....... 105 ...... 196.2
2007 ...... 51 ...... 360.27 ....... 106 ...... 218.9
2008 ....... 78 ..... 369.70 ..... 94 ...... 181.5

Total O Rank Total O yard Passing Pass yard Rushing Rush Yard
2003 ..... 96 ...... 304.45 ...... 115 ..... 91.2 ..... 18 .... 278.00
2004 ...... 27 ...... 398.45..... 105 ..... 158.1 .... 5 ...... 278.00
2005 ..... 58 ...... 360.64 ...... 86 .... 158.1 ..... 25 ...... 202.55
2006 ..... 2 ..... 468.08 ...... 4 ... .. 285.8 .. ..... 23 ... 182.33
2007 ...... 67 ... 356.91 ....... 90 ..... 156.3 .. 27 .. 200.64
2008 ...... 37 ..... 378.80 ..... 53 .... . 211.5 . 38 .. 167.30

kick off returns-114
punt return-107

Kirkblitz: Those are some very real numbers. If anything says "Change" more, I can not think of it. The arrests only magnify the problem down here. This team seems so far removed from success that the playoff year seems decades ago! I hope you guys get back on track.

bodoyle
November 13th, 2008, 08:23 AM
CDB brought his friends from catawba with him and got away with it b/c the kids who started the program cared about the program and the image that was projected. The kids that play now, not all but more than enough, do not care about the image projected about CCU athletics, CCU athletes, and the school as a whole. Very disappointing.

For those of you that want to ask him about it, there's a Chanticleer Call-In show every Thursday from 6-7pm est. Phone number is 877-264-5371

Email is [email protected]

Feel free to grill him. I've tried but they don't read those emails I send in. If you send in the nice ones they will read 'em.

kirkblitz
November 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM
CDB brought his friends from catawba with him and got away with it b/c the kids who started the program cared about the program and the image that was projected. The kids that play now, not all but more than enough, do not care about the image projected about CCU athletics, CCU athletes, and the school as a whole. Very disappointing.

For those of you that want to ask him about it, there's a Chanticleer Call-In show every Thursday from 6-7pm est. Phone number is 877-264-5371

Email is [email protected]

Feel free to grill him. I've tried but they don't read those emails I send in. If you send in the nice ones they will read 'em.

yeah i talked to matt about my question on the Rush defense and i think hes going to ask it. we will see xcoffeex

i gave a few hard questions and then one easy one, i am sure he will pick that one easy one about SC state

kirkblitz
November 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM
edit: my q's comen up

bodoyle
November 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM
just got in the door. didnt bother emailing a tough question. just asked about presbys successful transition to fcs

kirkblitz
November 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I sent in 5 questions 2 bs ones and 2 tough ones and 1 easy 1. This should be fun :D

response to why our rush d sucks: bennett said they are doing bad and MUST do a better job. claims our SOS influenced the numbers....but no excuse period and that is why they are failing in games basically. said we need more skilled players on the D line.

why offensive production has fallen since 06 other then simpson and tyler: Says thigpen is the reason why our 2006 offense was great and said we want to be 20-30 in offense each year. Need better recruiting. started talking about moose and fantasy football....

Sly Fox
November 13th, 2008, 07:25 PM
From a league standpoint, we need the Chants to be better. I am very curious to see how this plays out. Are there any big money folks willing to dig down to buy out a contract? I don't get the feeling that it is the case watching from afar.

kirkblitz
November 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM
his buyout is like 1.2 million, and i think he has 8 years left. Someone from FBS needs to grab him or he needs to quit, otherwise we are stuck with him xbawlingx

we couldnt even get the money for the field house, i dont think we have enough rich alumni that are focused on us more then the cocks or tigers

Seawolf97
November 13th, 2008, 08:53 PM
yeah i talked to matt about my question on the Rush defense and i think hes going to ask it. we will see xcoffeex

i gave a few hard questions and then one easy one, i am sure he will pick that one easy one about SC state

Hang in there! You really seem to have your hands full . From some StonyBrook folks that were down there for our game I heard only positive remarks about the fans and campus. xpeacex

SoCon48
November 13th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I suspect Bennett has already seen his glory days.

He started off great, but, for some reason, was unable to continue the momentum. He was able to recruit a group of guys who were excited to be part of something new, but couldn't do likewise once the team was established. He may get his "second wind" and develop a decent program, but the dreams of an early National Championship will stay dreams.xtwocentsx

His startup scholarship allowance is gone.

kirkblitz
November 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
His startup scholarship allowance is gone.

yep

CarolinaGirl
November 14th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Coastal is going to be fine. We have two bad seasons and "fans" (especially fans that have been around for only 2+ seasons) start freaking out and ripping on CCU. We have got to have the most spoiled fans out there. xrolleyesx
CDB is not past his prime. It sometimes actually takes more than 1 year to try to get back what you had. Yes, there are varoius reasons as to why we are where we currently are. Yes, we have had some legal issues with athletes. It's not like we are the only team out there in the NCAA that has dealt with it and been able to get through it.
Yes, our D is bad. The rush D could definitely use some help and needs some better players at LB position. The secondary is mostly true freshman with all of the injuries this season and cannot be blamed for much of anything. They are playing out of their minds right now and are playing better than anyone would have expected. That goes to the coaching staff and particularly those who coach that position. As the "stats" show, the D hasn't been playing well for several seasons. Nobody noticed apparently because the offense was playing so well and covering the D. We still have a good offense, although the play calling is suspect a lot of time. We have the players to make it happen; they are just not being utilized as they used to be.
I have seen all of the complaining (personally, I would mostly call it whining and self-pity) and everybody has a valid opinion to a point. But if you take a bad season or two and shine a big, bright light on the negatives, of course you are going to create some talk. I do notice that these same people focus on all of this negative and do not ever speak anything positive (and never have, as far as I can tell). For that reason, I do not take seriously anything that is being said. Besides the fact that I know better with the limited inside view that I have.
I don't have a lot to say about this season in general. I don't wear "teal colored glasses" and I know things look bad right now. Really...they aren't that bad. I just choose not to magnify and whine about it because I'm not happy. Things WILL change and come together. This team will get back some of what they had (I say "some" because I don't expect a duplicate of years past. Those were special and will not be duplicated). And not for the un-informed reasons you have come up with. xpeacex
Whine, bitch and complain now. Something tells me that I will see you back on the bandwagon soon enough. ;)

Tealblood
November 15th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Coastal is going to be fine. We have two bad seasons and "fans" (especially fans that have been around for only 2+ seasons) start freaking out and ripping on CCU. We have got to have the most spoiled fans out there. xrolleyesx
CDB is not past his prime. It sometimes actually takes more than 1 year to try to get back what you had. Yes, there are varoius reasons as to why we are where we currently are. Yes, we have had some legal issues with athletes. It's not like we are the only team out there in the NCAA that has dealt with it and been able to get through it.
Yes, our D is bad. The rush D could definitely use some help and needs some better players at LB position. The secondary is mostly true freshman with all of the injuries this season and cannot be blamed for much of anything. They are playing out of their minds right now and are playing better than anyone would have expected. That goes to the coaching staff and particularly those who coach that position. As the "stats" show, the D hasn't been playing well for several seasons. Nobody noticed apparently because the offense was playing so well and covering the D. We still have a good offense, although the play calling is suspect a lot of time. We have the players to make it happen; they are just not being utilized as they used to be.
I have seen all of the complaining (personally, I would mostly call it whining and self-pity) and everybody has a valid opinion to a point. But if you take a bad season or two and shine a big, bright light on the negatives, of course you are going to create some talk. I do notice that these same people focus on all of this negative and do not ever speak anything positive (and never have, as far as I can tell). For that reason, I do not take seriously anything that is being said. Besides the fact that I know better with the limited inside view that I have.
I don't have a lot to say about this season in general. I don't wear "teal colored glasses" and I know things look bad right now. Really...they aren't that bad. I just choose not to magnify and whine about it because I'm not happy. Things WILL change and come together. This team will get back some of what they had (I say "some" because I don't expect a duplicate of years past. Those were special and will not be duplicated). And not for the un-informed reasons you have come up with. xpeacex
Whine, bitch and complain now. Something tells me that I will see you back on the bandwagon soon enough. ;)

you make his point for him but then say but you have inside knowledge so we will never repeat what we have done beforexconfusedx xconfusedx

the more you talk the less I think you know

cause if we are never going to repeat a trip to the playoffs kirk's ultimate point is made

CarolinaGirl
November 15th, 2008, 09:20 AM
First of all, I should start out by saying that I probably shouldn't post when I have been drinking :p . I tend to babble on too much and went on further (and longer) than I intended.
What I meant to say is that our years with Thig and Rome were special. It's hard to find players that share that kind of chemistry. We now have Zack and Trent Usher and I hope they can develop something like that within the next season or so. It's just not going to happen overnight. We certainly have every reason to believe we will make another trip to the playoffs. It's not reasonable to think we will get there the second season that we have a whole new team. We are young (I don't mean players; I mean as a football team in existence) and there are a lot of "firsts" that we are going to go through.
Please note that I said "limited inside view". You completely took out of context what I said because those two comments did not go together -"inside knowledge" "so we will never repeat what we have done before". Please don't take two comments not even in the same paragraph and put them together to make it sound like I said something that I didn't. xnonox
I'm not saying any of this to start arguments that have no end and no right or wrong. I am simply stating my opinion and my thoughts and feelings, just as everyone else does. I just choose to not be so negative and act like we are doomed forever. It's an extremely frustrating time but we will get through it. ;)

kirkblitz
November 15th, 2008, 11:31 AM
First of all, I should start out by saying that I probably shouldn't post when I have been drinking :p . I tend to babble on too much and went on further (and longer) than I intended.
What I meant to say is that our years with Thig and Rome were special. It's hard to find players that share that kind of chemistry. We now have Zack and Trent Usher and I hope they can develop something like that within the next season or so. It's just not going to happen overnight. We certainly have every reason to believe we will make another trip to the playoffs. It's not reasonable to think we will get there the second season that we have a whole new team. We are young (I don't mean players; I mean as a football team in existence) and there are a lot of "firsts" that we are going to go through.
Please note that I said "limited inside view". You completely took out of context what I said because those two comments did not go together -"inside knowledge" "so we will never repeat what we have done before". Please don't take two comments not even in the same paragraph and put them together to make it sound like I said something that I didn't. xnonox
I'm not saying any of this to start arguments that have no end and no right or wrong. I am simply stating my opinion and my thoughts and feelings, just as everyone else does. I just choose to not be so negative and act like we are doomed forever. It's an extremely frustrating time but we will get through it. ;)

i might post a lot of negative stuff but im still not off the coastal train.Its almost guarnteeable we will not be back in the playoffs for a while unless we fix this MASSIVE problem with our rush D, which doesnt really have anything to do with young kids as it was bad when we were loaded with seniors on the D in 06. On the offense i think it will be vastly improved next year with zach being even better then he is now and with some of our WR's stepping up. I might complain a lot but i just want the problems fixed, i think we will take care of presby today after looking at their stats. xpeacex