PDA

View Full Version : Who are the best receivers in the SOCON

WOCO
November 11th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I'll throw out Hudgins from Elon, Roberts from the Cit, and my wildcard, Andy Strickland from Wofford. I honestly believe that if Andy got more touches he could be the best! 19.25 yards per catch

phoenixphanatic21
November 11th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Honestly I feel it's hard to say anyone but Hudgins or Roberts. I go with Hudgins here because a.) he goes to Elon, b.) more importantly, look at all the records he now holds and c.) that catch against UTC is still one of the more ridiculous catches I've ever seen. You can say all you want for the other receivers in the SoCon and I have respect for them all, but when push comes to shove and I need a big play, I'd pick Hudgins before anyone else.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I'd say RJ Webb, but he's been hurt two straight seasons. Sorry the rest of the conference couldn't watch that kid play.

BestOfBreed
November 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Hudgins is the better receiver but Roberts is the better weapon.

appfan2008
November 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Brian Quick doesnt have the numbers but I will say right now he is the most talented reciever and the one with the most upside in the socon dont know if he is the best though... that would probably have to hudgins...

beauvighn
November 11th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Roberts is the best receiver to play against Wofford this year.

GATA
November 11th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Antonio Henton

Biff
November 11th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Honestly I feel it's hard to say anyone but Hudgins or Roberts. I go with Hudgins here because a.) he goes to Elon, b.) more importantly, look at all the records he now holds and c.) that catch against UTC is still one of the more ridiculous catches I've ever seen. You can say all you want for the other receivers in the SoCon and I have respect for them all, but when push comes to shove and I need a big play, I'd pick Hudgins before anyone else.

I would pick Andre Roberts for similar reasons. This year Andre has been better in my opinion, but we could probably argue between the two of them all day long.

Either way, I haven't seen anyone that compares to Roberts or Hudgins in the SoCon. And, as far as College careers go, Hudgins has been the best and is setting records that recievers will be chasing for a long time.

catamount man
November 11th, 2008, 01:33 PM
He's only a true freshman but WCU's Andrerius Thomas, if he stays healthy, is gonna cause a lack of sleep for some SoCon DBs.

appstate1998
November 11th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Legree...although his catches aren't from our team

gsugt1
November 11th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Raja Andrews

1. Andre Roberts-CIT JR 10 81 1152 14 78 14.2 115.2 8.1
2. Terrell Hudgins-ELON JR 10 76 1043 9 70 13.7 104.3 7.6
3. Raja Andrews-GSU SR 9 56 791 5 55 14.1 87.9 6.2

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 11th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Nobody going to give any love to Coco Hillary?

appstate1998
November 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM

not sure averaging 50 rec yards a game would neccessarily put him at the top of the socon receivers

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Because of the ridiculousness you've forced me to bring it back out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqi9JKzKWzs

appstate1998
November 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Because of the ridiculousness you've forced me to bring it back out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqi9JKzKWzs

because of your rediculousness of bringing jerome felton into this you have foced me to bring this back out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW6Yl9eYkIs

DLS
November 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM
xpopcornx

appfan2008
November 11th, 2008, 03:18 PM

and who won that game??? xrulesx xthumbsupx xnonox xnonono2x xlolx

Reign of Terrier
November 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I'll throw out Hudgins from Elon, Roberts from the Cit, and my wildcard, Andy Strickland from Wofford. I honestly believe that if Andy got more touches he could be the best! 19.25 yards per catch

Personally I think Roberts is the best because he's just an athlete. Hudgins is the kind that you want in the red zone. Andy Strickland has the most clutch hands out of anyone I've seen, he could have easily gone to The Citadel, Elon, Georgia Southern, or even Appalachian and still make a good impact.

ElonPride
November 11th, 2008, 03:36 PM
As a multiple weapon, it would be Roberts.

As a receiver it's Hudgins. I wish the coaches would make him the real weapon he was his freshman season. The guy was Mr. North Carolina Football as a QB. The dude can really chuck the ball and they utilized that with gadget plays his freshman and some his sophmore year.

Hudgins numbers are down a little this year, compared to last. This could be for multiple reasons. Lembo and crew have been throwing to more receivers, and the running game has developed, which has taken a lot of pressure off the passing game.

His catches over a DB at Furman last year and the one against UTC were pretty impressive!!!

bobbythekidd
November 11th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Antonio Henton
pssst. check the title of the thread.

WCU LawCat
November 11th, 2008, 04:52 PM
He's only a true freshman but WCU's Andrerius Thomas, if he stays healthy, is gonna cause a lack of sleep for some SoCon DBs.

Andrerius Thomas is going to be a moster at Western. Did not get much playing time early in the season but has exploded lately due to the injury to Marquel Pitman.

Marquel Pitman is also a very good receiver but has been hurt. Adam hearns can be good when he wants to be xrolleyesx

GATA
November 11th, 2008, 04:54 PM
pssst. check the title of the thread.

Oh my bad...I thought this was the, "Who's the worst QB in the SOCON" thread.

Biff
November 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM

As a receiver it's Hudgins. I wish the coaches would make him the real weapon he was his freshman season. The guy was Mr. North Carolina Football as a QB. The dude can really chuck the ball and they utilized that with gadget plays his freshman and some his sophmore year.

Hudgins numbers are down a little this year, compared to last. This could be for multiple reasons. Lembo and crew have been throwing to more receivers, and the running game has developed, which has taken a lot of pressure off the passing game.

His catches over a DB at Furman last year and the one against UTC were pretty impressive!!!

Agreed. Roberts numbers are up because of a lack of support from other recievers. But he is handling the load quite well.

CID1990
November 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
It is hard for me to pick. Hudgins has had some great games, but at the same time he has been shut down occasionally. It seems like he can be hot and cold. Roberts tends to find a way to contribute even when the other team is putting three people on him, like Wofford did.

I think that next season might make it easier to choose. Right now they are neck and neck for me. Next year we have some biog choices to make in terms of our personnel. It is possible that we could be seeing Miguel Starks taking some snaps, possibly even a start or two. He is the closest thing to Armanti Edwards in the SOCon (IMO) in terms of combined running and throwing ability. The words is, however, that he wants to play defense. He is a big kid with speed and that would definitely help us. Either way, improved running backs and an improved OL will allow us to keep defenses a little more honest. If that happens, look for Andre's numbers to open up some. Honestly, I think that if Andre and Hudgins were both playing for Elon, Andre would be the #1 guy there. He is just next to impossible to stop in single coverage, and that's what he would be getting if there was one more good receiver to balance him out.

appstate38
November 11th, 2008, 06:53 PM
For me it has to be between Hudgins and Roberts. The App secondary did a good job containing Roberts when the Dogs came to Boone. Hopefully we can get the same on Saturday with Hudgins. So for best WR's

1A Hudgins
1B Roberts

ASU
November 11th, 2008, 08:24 PM

So, you are saying that, "HUDGINS IS GOING TO THROW THE BALL AGAINST APP STATE Saturday !!!"
Gotcha.....thanks for the Heads Up......

elon77
November 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM
So, you are saying that, "HUDGINS IS GOING TO THROW THE BALL AGAINST APP STATE Saturday !!!"
Gotcha.....thanks for the Heads Up......

I hope he will be throwing something Saturday, that would be defensive backs and linebackers off of himself after he makes many catches Saturday afternoon. Because of his size he is pretty good at picking up extra yardage after the catch. I hope he has lots of catches and lots of extra yardage come Saturday. xnodx

seantaylor
November 12th, 2008, 05:57 PM
GSU kicked off who would have been the best receiver in the league next year in Demarcus Watts. That said, Hudgins is the best receiver in the league.

CID1990
November 12th, 2008, 06:19 PM
GSU kicked off who would have been the best receiver in the league next year in Demarcus Watts. That said, Hudgins is the best receiver in the league.

Thanks, Nostradamus.

AppAlum2003
November 12th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks, Nostradamus.

Oh, didn't you hear? Going into every season, GSU has the best player at every position in the Country/SoCon... no one has just ever heard of them, though. xrolleyesx

blueballs
November 12th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Oh, didn't you hear? Going into every season, GSU has the best player at every position in the Country/SoCon... no one has just ever heard of them, though. xrolleyesx

Watts sure as hell had the talent to become that... alas, million dollar talent, dime sized brain, and I wouldn't give a penny for his attitude.

Of the SoCon receivers I've seen this year, Hudgens is the top guy, Roberts second (barely, he's awfully dangerous), Andrews third.

straightshooter
November 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Blueballs is on the money with his picks. And yes, Demarcus Watts had the physical tools to be tremendous (6'0", 200, 4.4 - 40 and 10.6 - 110m), but he threw it all away. Too bad. He would have been fun to watch. The Terriors should remember him. He ran away from their DBs like they were standing in cement.

beauvighn
November 12th, 2008, 08:25 PM
The Terriors should remember him. He ran away from their DBs like they were standing in cement.

Alot of WR's would fit inot that category this year unfortunately xbawlingx

yosef1969
November 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM

Flashbacks of B. Quick?

Hudgins and Roberts are the top two.

Strickland and Andrews are the best of the rest.

Woof
November 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM

You beat me to it... I was going to say the best receiver is the one playing against our secondary. xbawlingx We single handedly turned the kid from Appy into an overnight hero by letting him behind our zone all night....Really ruined my halloween xmadx xmadx xbangx xbangx but I am over it now.xcoolx...sort of.

ElonPride
November 13th, 2008, 04:36 PM
It is hard for me to pick. Hudgins has had some great games, but at the same time he has been shut down occasionally. It seems like he can be hot and cold. Roberts tends to find a way to contribute even when the other team is putting three people on him, like Wofford did.

I think that next season might make it easier to choose. Right now they are neck and neck for me. Next year we have some biog choices to make in terms of our personnel. It is possible that we could be seeing Miguel Starks taking some snaps, possibly even a start or two. He is the closest thing to Armanti Edwards in the SOCon (IMO) in terms of combined running and throwing ability. The words is, however, that he wants to play defense. He is a big kid with speed and that would definitely help us. Either way, improved running backs and an improved OL will allow us to keep defenses a little more honest. If that happens, look for Andre's numbers to open up some. Honestly, I think that if Andre and Hudgins were both playing for Elon, Andre would be the #1 guy there. He is just next to impossible to stop in single coverage, and that's what he would be getting if there was one more good receiver to balance him out.

I don't know if "shut down" is the right term to use. Take the UTC game for instance; He only had 39 yards receiving, but hauled in 2 TD passes (1 of which some regard as a top 10 catch ever).

Elon has also thrown the ball to more wide receivers. Elon has SEVEN WRs with more than 100 yards receiving on the year. El Cid has 4 with over 100 yards on the year. Those 7 receivers have caught for 2396 yards, to the 2041 of El Cids 4 top receivers. Over half of El Cid's total receivng yards from those 4 has come from 1 receiver.

And just to note, hardly any teams put single coverage on Hudgins....when they do, he does stuff like this:
http://www.elon.edu/e-net/Note.aspx?id=932756

It's funny to hear people talking like Hudgins is having a down year, when he's still near the top in the nation in receiving yards.